mtbr member
    Nov 2018

Anyone planning on doing the MBAA series.

I am planning to do the MBAA series starting in January.

Particularly since I'm coming off a rather long layoff...like a 25 year layoff...I would love to pick the brains of other racers.

Trust me, I won't be competing for any podium spots.

At this point I plan on doing the marathon length races.

If this isn't the best site for this, maybe someone can point me in the proper direction.

Thanks, Rick

Once you get your legs back, and if you hunger for big rides, with a bit more “adventure” than MBAA, check out AES.

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    Once you get your legs back, and if you hunger for big rides, with a bit more “adventure” than MBAA, check out AES.
    I already have the SBFL penciled in; but as you mentioned, I first have to get my legs back.

Click Click Click
    Quote Originally Posted by myt1 View Post
    I am planning to do the MBAA series starting in January.

Particularly since I'm coming off a rather long layoff...like a 25 year layoff...I would love to pick the brains of other racers.

Trust me, I won't be competing for any podium spots.

At this point I plan on doing the marathon length races.

If this isn't the best site for this, maybe someone can point me in the proper direction.

Thanks, Rick
    I am doing the series - Single Speed 45+

What do you want to know?
    "You either want to or you don't."

mtbr member
    I will be doing the Series. Plus bike
    My son Chase is racing also but 11-12 year olds and using a SS for most of it
    Too Many .

mtbr member
    I did all the races in 2018 (Singlespeed) and I plan on racing in 2019. Expert 45+

Let me warn you that Marathon is tough. Lots of fast guys in marathon even at the back end of the field.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

livin' the dream......
    Considering plus bike or Intermediate (40-49) mid life crisis group.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbyte View Post
    I am doing the series - Single Speed 45+

What do you want to know?
    Are the marathon riders essentially self contained?

Do they carry all the water and nutrition they will need for the race with them, or do they stop at sag stops? Are there sag stops?

I was thinking of having my wife...if I can talk her into it...in the Pemberton trailhead parking lot to hand me a bottle with some sort of concoction in it. Does this make sense?

I have a terrible feeling I am way underestimating how friggin' hard this is going to be.

I'm doing most of my training on my road bike, riding down to Bartlett Lake.

P.S. I was looking at pictures of some of the best riders in the Prescott Whiskey Race and it looks like at the most they carry a bottle with them; maybe they are so quick they don't need much more than that.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I'm also considering marathon. Looking at McDowell and Estrella, you don't pass through start/finish more that once and I don't think there are stops, so you maybe have to bring your own water or stage some somewhere??? I'm sure there is some secret water cashe for the veterans, but good luck getting them to clue you in

Ahhh the pain....
    Myt1, I've not done the MBAA series, but have done the AES stuff for years and have plenty of friends who do the MBAA series... Here's my 2 cents...
    1. Pretty sure the marathon category is still nearly a "sprint"...I did giggle a bit when you mentioned sag stop! (don't think there are any and if so, don't think the racing crowd would stop)
    2. I find the term "marathon" a bit funny since the AES stuff is usually longer in comparison.
    3. I don't think there's any rules against a bottle handup if the course routing makes it possible.
    4. I think roadie riding is in general a fine way to build up fitness, but don't discount the need to get on the dirt a fair amount for 2 reasons. First, MTB riding is highly variable in power output...much more than road riding typically is. Second, handling skills on the dirt are key to being fast. You can build a big "engine" on a road bike, but if your handling skills aren't matched, it's like putting a V8 in a volkswagon beetle.
    5. Obviously MBAA is a well run machine, lots of people, etc...all great and I've yet to hear one bad thing about them. As a comparison, the AES races are free, and you can be as competitive as you like. We don't have "classes" by age or race or bike type; just one big list of finish times. Run what ya brung sort of thing and then sit around at the end and talk about it...and no podium pictures. In any case, lots of options for you to build fitness. AES attracts a lot of the MBAA crowd in the fall since it help them build fitness for the race season.

heck, who knows, even I may try a MBAA race this year...in the fat and slow geriatric SS category.

mtbr member
    Anyone know when they are announcing the enduro schedule?

Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post

heck, who knows, even I may try a MBAA race this year...in the fat and slow geriatric SS category.
    This will never happen because

A) they charge money for those races
    B) you would be too afraid to be beat by Joe P

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Are there cut off times for the marathon race? Asking for a friend

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Anyone know when they are announcing the enduro schedule?
    Usually in the spring / early summer.

Hopefully they can extend the series beyond 3 races for next year!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrt taco View Post

I think the Flagstaff Enduro will become part of the MBAA series for next year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrt taco View Post

Be lucky you guys had a MBAA Enduro this year.
    Too Many .

Click Click Click

Do they carry all the water and nutrition they will need for the race with them, or do they stop at sag stops? Are there sag stops?

I was thinking of having my wife...if I can talk her into it...in the Pemberton trailhead parking lot to hand me a bottle with some sort of concoction in it. Does this make sense?

I have a terrible feeling I am way underestimating how friggin' hard this is going to be.

I'm doing most of my training on my road bike, riding down to Bartlett Lake.

P.S. I was looking at pictures of some of the best riders in the Prescott Whiskey Race and it looks like at the most they carry a bottle with them; maybe they are so quick they don't need much more than that.
    Self contained? So many bad jokes come to mind. You mean self supported? yes.

It is usually one bigish lap that you just do over and over, and there is a feed station at the Start/Finish area, so you are on your own for the lap, there is no mid lap aid stations (except perhaps Flagstaff)

It will be hard, yes, it is racing, racing is not supposed to be easy. Push your limits.

I think road training should be fine, however some of the courses do have some technical bits, and the "dirt roadies" seem to complain/struggle with them, while the "Mountain Bikers" seem to complain that they are not technical enough, and there is not enough of it. YMMV

See you out there. I will be self contained, and so will my beer.

mtbr member

Do they carry all the water and nutrition they will need for the race with them, or do they stop at sag stops? Are there sag stops?..
    Depends on the course. The McDowells is big loop with run through main start/finish and then final loop on the main race loop. So while there is no form aid there is place to stash bottles.
    Some Marathon are simply more laps of the sprint course and those will be water at the start/finish. Again you need to have your own set-up. There are no aid stations.

If you are worried then I need to ask how many hours to do normally ride? Marathon is 3:30 hrs mostly, but you should be ready for 4 hrs on big loop rather than timed. If you can't race for 4hrs then you might not be ready. If I remember right Bartlett lake is a 1 hour ish climb from the lake to main road junction where the ranger station and the towers are. Not really sure what your loop is since there are so many places you can start. And of course road training not the same at Mtn bike riding.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    This will never happen because

A) they charge money for those races
    B) you would be too afraid to be beat by Joe P
    Yeah would have to bring back my SS for that, but something tells me I have nothing to worry about.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    Thanks for all the advice. It is really appreciated.

Pretty much I'm learning it is going to be way hard.

"Self-contained", "self-supported"...whatever

Click Click Click
    Thanks for all the advice. It is really appreciated.

Pretty much I'm learning it is going to be way hard.

"Self-contained", "self-supported"...whatever
    LOL, it is only as hard as you make it. You could go out and just do one lap at your own pace

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Five0 View Post
    Are there cut off times for the marathon race? Asking for a friend

For lap races like WhiteTanks and Prescott, you ride for 3.5 hours and then finish. Say you’re race starts at 8:30, you keep doing laps until 12:00 rolls around, then you finish. If you show up at the start/finish at 11:59, you’d go out for another lap (or wait a minute and cross the line to finish) if you cross the line at 12:00, you’re finished. They basically score it like a 6 or 12 hour race.

At McDowell, Estrella, and Flagstaff, they have a BIG marathon loop. If you finish that loop within 3.5 hours, they send you off on the XC loops (the long loop at McDowell for example) until you hit that 3.5 hour threshold.

They’re great training and racing. McDowell tends to have a HUGE marathon field, close to 100 if I remember last year correctly. I used to race marathon back before I started announcing. Come on out!
    Racing is life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.

96 Huffy Dr. Shock
    01 Magna girls hybrid