Anyone MTBíd to Point Sublime on Grand Canyon North Rim?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    210

    Anyone MTBíd to Point Sublime on Grand Canyon North Rim?

    A wild hair got me thinking about this. Google maps says itís 20 miles one way from North Rim visitor center. Supposed to be a rough dirt road thatís recommended for 4WD only. Elevation is 8,000 feet, so thereís that. Anyone done it? Thanks.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,768
    Quote Originally Posted by M-80 Rider View Post
    A wild hair got me thinking about this. Google maps says itís 20 miles one way from North Rim visitor center. Supposed to be a rough dirt road thatís recommended for 4WD only. Elevation is 8,000 feet, so thereís that. Anyone done it? Thanks.
    There's really not much need for 4x4. Unless to get over fallen trees.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    There's really not much need for 4x4. Unless to get over fallen trees.
    Think it can be done in an AWD with 8.5 inches of ground clearance?

    (With a bow saw in case a tree needs to be dealt with.)

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veloborealis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,596
    If you want to ride on the North Rim have you considered the Rainbow Rim trail? Takes in a half dozen of the remote canyon overlooks.
    Veni vidi velo!

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,768
    Quote Originally Posted by M-80 Rider View Post
    Think it can be done in an AWD with 8.5 inches of ground clearance?

    (With a bow saw in case a tree needs to be dealt with.)
    For sure, if your careful. I took a 15 passenger van in there in grad school way back when. As I recall it's easier coming in from the park side than from the rainbow rim area. You need a backcountry permit though and the ranger will know if there are trees down. Maybe.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    If you want to ride on the North Rim have you considered the Rainbow Rim trail? Takes in a half dozen of the remote canyon overlooks.
    Hadnít heard of it until you mentioned it just now.

    Researching ... and liking what Iím reading. You done it?

  7. #7
    ...
    Reputation: dtownmtb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,375
    did it as part of a big loop from Jacob Lake - so we came in from the North - not from the rim. I seem to recall the road to the rim being pretty rugged. I thought the detour to Sublime was worth the effort.

    The full story of that trip is here:

    https://jzadventuretime.blogspot.com...ravaganza.html

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,768
    Rainbow Rim is nice but Pt. Sublime is just that.

    -pt-sublime.jpg

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    For sure, if your careful. I took a 15 passenger van in there in grad school way back when. As I recall it's easier coming in from the park side than from the rainbow rim area. You need a backcountry permit though and the ranger will know if there are trees down. Maybe.
    Roughest things Iíve driven with the current vehicle were Titus Canyon in Death Valley (easy) and the approach to the White Mountain trailhead near Bishop, CA. (Would not do that again unless I had a capable rental.)

    [White Mountain is a challenging MTB ride, btw.]

    Any idea how the Point Sublime road compares?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rockman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    6,768
    Quote Originally Posted by M-80 Rider View Post
    Roughest things Iíve driven with the current vehicle were Titus Canyon in Death Valley (easy) and the approach to the White Mountain trailhead near Bishop, CA. (Would not do that again unless I had a capable rental.)

    [White Mountain is a challenging MTB ride, btw.]

    Any idea how the Point Sublime road compares?
    No idea. I will say that the north rim roads eat tires. Even the all season maintained gravel roads to the Rainbow Rim trailheads. Make sure you have a good spare. Have fun!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    did it as part of a big loop from Jacob Lake - so we came in from the North - not from the rim. I seem to recall the road to the rim being pretty rugged. I thought the detour to Sublime was worth the effort.

    The full story of that trip is here:

    https://jzadventuretime.blogspot.com...ravaganza.html
    Thanks. Looking forward to reading the trip report.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    210
    Thanks!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veloborealis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,596
    Quote Originally Posted by M-80 Rider View Post
    Hadnít heard of it until you mentioned it just now.

    Researching ... and liking what Iím reading. You done it?
    Stopped by a major mechanical issue one mile out from Lipan Point last fall. I will be heading back this September. Beautiful area. Love the North Rim.
    Veni vidi velo!

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: evdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,000
    I rode out to Point Sublime during a bikepack I did a couple years ago. TR is here --> https://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/tr-b...y-1015554.html

    My memory of the roads isn't great which means they weren't in terrible or great shape. I recall it being about 6 miles of mostly downhill to Point Sublime from the turnoff. From there I took the road to the North Rim village which had some steep-ish climbs and descents, but should be ok with some clearance. The road north from Point Sublime would probably be more difficult. I do recall descending that coming from Rainbow Rim to PS and it being more rocky, but I was only on that road for a short time.

    I've done both White Mtn and Titus, I didn't think either of those was very rugged. Conditions change, obviously but I'd say the North Rim roads would steeper and more rugged.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I rode out to Point Sublime during a bikepack I did a couple years ago. TR is here --> https://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/tr-b...y-1015554.html

    My memory of the roads isn't great which means they weren't in terrible or great shape. I recall it being about 6 miles of mostly downhill to Point Sublime from the turnoff. From there I took the road to the North Rim village which had some steep-ish climbs and descents, but should be ok with some clearance. The road north from Point Sublime would probably be more difficult. I do recall descending that coming from Rainbow Rim to PS and it being more rocky, but I was only on that road for a short time.

    I've done both White Mtn and Titus, I didn't think either of those was very rugged. Conditions change, obviously but I'd say the North Rim roads would steeper and more rugged.
    Thanks for the link to the TR, as well as the info. Right now, Iím debating whether I should MTB there or drive.

    Youíre right about Titus. Not bad at all despite all the online warnings I saw. First time I did White was about 15 years ago. No prob in a 2WD Neon. Then no prob in a Prius. Same in an Escort. But last year was a different story. Even in a more capable vehicle. No doubt condition vary according to how severe recent storms were.

  16. #16
    DFL>DNF>DNS
    Reputation: schillingsworth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    3,096
    Here's another ride report, same one as dtown's, but much better , Sublime Kaibab.

    If I was doing it as a day ride / weekend outing, I'd camp over near the mid-point of Rainbow Rim and ride out to Sublime one day & do the other half of Rainbow Rim the other. Then, I'd probably also head over to the AZT for some of that action if I had more time.

    @evdog, hard to believe how muddy Titus Canyon was during our bikepack, huh?

    Alive in Death Valley
    My Two Schillingsworth


    Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

  17. #17
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,563
    Hey wait...here's mine... One Gear Ray: Memorial Munsters
    Back when I did rode my bike a lot and wrote about it. Now I just stay home and pet the cat.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: evdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,000
    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    @evdog, hard to believe how muddy Titus Canyon was during our bikepack, huh?
    I got a reminder of it last weekend, although this stuff was slightly more chunky than the Titus canyon variety.


  19. #19
    Ahhh the pain....
    Reputation: Raybum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,563
    Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    I got a reminder of it last weekend, although this stuff was slightly more chunky than the Titus canyon variety.

    I think i would just throw the whole bike in the trash...holy fook.

Similar Threads

  1. The Rainbow Rim Trail - North Rim of the Grand Canyon
    By mtbbill in forum Videos and POV Cameras
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-17-2015, 09:54 AM
  2. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-29-2012, 04:17 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-06-2012, 08:41 PM
  4. North Rim Grand Canyon
    By Boyonabyke in forum Utah
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 10:43 PM
  5. North Rim Grand Canyon 6/4?
    By Wherewolf in forum Arizona
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2011, 11:22 AM

Members who have read this thread: 71

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.