Anyone make it to Kentucky Camp?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Anyone make it to Kentucky Camp?

I'm curious if anyone went down to Kentucky Camp this weekend to ride after the race was postponed? The weather here in Sierra Vista was pretty nasty, and I heard that it rained in Tucson as well.
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

Chad, Tom P from CO and I rode some AZT Friday, in gorgeous weather, and camped that evening. It started raining at about 0300.

Tom bailed, while Chad, Max, Ben and I headed out for a few hours. Lets just say I was glad I brought the singlespeed, and it was a pity that no one had a (functional) camera after.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Chad, Tom P from CO and I rode some AZT Friday, in gorgeous weather, and camped that evening. It started raining at about 0300.

Tom bailed, while Chad, Max, Ben and I headed out for a few hours. Lets just say I was glad I brought the singlespeed, and it was a pity that no one had a (functional) camera after.
    Let's also say that it was a pity that I was the only person sleeping in a tent while the rest of the gang was quietly sleeping in their cars as the 100-year wind/rain storm hit.

The new AZT out near Saguarita Road/83 (Sweet Water) is very, very nice. Hope to make it out for some trail building soon. Building new trail and drinking beer. Sounds epic. On a side note, bought some Trader Joe's Vintage Ale and 1554 to bring in last week of 2007 riding..... Mmmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by chadfbrown
    ... as the 100-year wind/rain storm hit.

If that had been a 100 year storm, we'd still be stuck out there.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    If that had been a 100 year storm, we'd still be stuck out there.
    Finally cleaned off all the muck of the tent and gear.... did you have a prob with that? That FS still need some find tuning before it is back in shape. Let's call it a bad storm instead of 100-year.

Scott in Tucson
    Good on 'ya for heading out there.

Lets just say I was glad I brought the singlespeed, and it was a pity that no one had a (functional) camera after.
    So does the soil down there get muddy? Or was it just that it was currently raining and drivetrain destroying grit/gravel was in abundance?

Chad, why weren't you sleeping in the biodiesel babe magnet?

Looking forward to the rescheduled race. No question it was a good call to postpone it.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

Tucson, AZ
    The roads get pretty bad, forest roads and double track alike. I was a little worried about Bio Bertha getting out of KCE in the event of a big downpour.

There are rumors that Max wants to ride the APC this Thursday (assuming the rain lets up). Do you want in? I think we could all carpool, meet at the station, get some coffee (they also have chocolate milk for ya), then ride.

How is that big paper coming along?

Members who have read this thread: 0