Anyone ever had a bike painted?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Anyone ever had a bike painted?

I have a cruiser frame that i want the color changed on. I talked to a powdercoating company in tempe and they wanted $225! ouch, the whole bike cost 300. Anyone have a recommendation for a paint shop or a diff powder coating company to take it too? Thanks!

pedaller
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Tucson, AZ
    Duct tape comes in several colors now.... the cheaper, other option. That said, my saddle is made of duct tape, the original grayish color, although I am also in the market for changing the color, possibly the painter's blue color duct tape.

my dog's Frisbee launcher
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner
    Duct tape comes in several colors now.... the cheaper, other option. That said, my saddle is made of duct tape, the original grayish color, although I am also in the market for changing the color, possibly the painter's blue color duct tape.
    My G/F's Mom has some really cool hot pink duct tape

just as a heads up
    Quote Originally Posted by coconinocycles
    usually, the most expensive part of a build money-wise is the paint. Steve Garro Coconino Cycles.
    Cheers
    Darwin was an Optimist

mtbr member
    Try a local auto body shop. If you are not too picky about color, tell them to spray it when they have some paint left over from an auto job. If you sand the bike yourself, you can really save some bucks.

If all else fails, sand and paint it yourself. There are plenty of "How to's" on the web.
    "I don't suffer from insanity!I rather enjoy it."

i like cheese.
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelbender6
    Try a local auto body shop. If you are not too picky about color, tell them to spray it when they have some paint left over from an auto job. If you sand the bike yourself, you can really save some bucks.

If all else fails, sand and paint it yourself. There are plenty of "How to's" on the web.
    I would powdercoat per some previous threads… powdercoat will be cheaper and more durable than a "decent" paint job. Or if you don't care there is always rattle can.

I painted a frame with automotive paint… invested in some equipment, built a small spray booth, bought ridiculously expensive paint, etc. It was fun... but unless you plan on painting a lot of stuff a couple of times a year, IMO it is not worth it. Also, you may know this already… but, it is very hard to paint for the next umm… 4-6 months. Your flash times are almost zero and that makes a decent job real hard.

A Huckin' Hypocrite

Go to AZ Powder Coat

Arizona Powder Coat
    5301 E Washington St
    Phoenix, AZ , 85034-2129
    Phone: 602-220-0553
    FAX: 602-220-0554

We have had hard tail frames done one color for less than $70 including stripping.
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live.
    Mark Twain, "Taming the Bicycle"

mtbr member
    space age auto paint and supply in mesa, can put any automotive paint color in a rattle can. cheap compared to powdercoat, but pricey compared to krylon i've done it and it looked nice on my wifes cruiser

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for all the info guys, i ended dropping it off at AZ Powdercoat. Awesome people and a GREAT price!!! Highly recommend (i'll post pics in a week)

Members who have read this thread: 0