Anyone doing the Barn burner?- Mtbr.com
    CDK
    mtbr member

Anyone doing the Barn burner?

Anyone going out the Flag for the barn burner race in Sept?
    Is this more of a cyclocross race or whats the deal with it and all the forest roads?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDK View Post
    Anyone going out the Flag for the barn burner race in Sept?
    Is this more of a cyclocross race or whats the deal with it and all the forest roads?
    No, I'm not, but yes you honestly could get by riding a CX bike. There is very, very little tech (one maybe half mile section of rocky stuff), and if I'm not mistaken, outside of the double-track that leads out of the expo area, all fire road. It's relatively flat, but most of the climbing is at the very end, so it takes its toll on you.

It's definitely more designed for XC and roadie types, and it's a mental game, especially if you're attempting to do it solo.

I've done it three times: twice as a four-person team, and once I attempted to do it solo, and threw in the towel after three laps. All three times, I did it on a SS, which was a mistake. The first half is mostly flat or gradual downhill, so I spun out a lot. However, you need a bigger (or is it "smaller"?) gear for the climbs at the end.

That said, it's a pretty fun time, and well run, now that they 1) moved it back to Sept., and 2) don't shove "Leadville Qualifier" down your throat like they did two years ago.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    you did that race on a single speed ?? wow..

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    you did that race on a single speed ?? wow..
    It's "easier" on a SS. That is, the only disadvantage on a SS is that lots of coasting and spinning.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    It's "easier" on a SS. That is, the only disadvantage on a SS is that lots of coasting and spinning.
    yes, that is the point I was trying to make with the "wow"... like that's a lot of annoying spinning...

mtbr member
    This race lost a little of its flavor when they moved it to a date after Leadville. I doubt it will attract the crowd it used to.

Ahhh the pain....
    Never done it and probably never will. Can't justify spending that kind of cash riding loops on dusty forest roads. I'm sure the social and competitive aspect is cool and must be what brings people back. Good luck to those who do... I'm gonna buy beer and tires with the money I save.

SCRUBDUNKER
    I'm doing it to get a big buckle and hopefully never do it again. A Leadville coin would be great too, but I'm not counting on that.

mtbr member
    I am racing it

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I've done it 3 times, love the course, sometimes it can be fun to race through the forest at 25 mph not having to stare at the trail. Nice crowd, lots of energy.

But the dust, both on the access roads and during the race, is really bad. The first year I took my own vehicle, spent $25 getting it detailed to get the dust out afterwards. The next year the same. Then the third time a friend and I rented an F-150 and just turned it back into Enterprise dirty (they didn't bill any extra to clean it, but it was a mess).

I have heard the organizers made an attempt to water down the access road last year, and would love to know how this worked, because I am riding the 52 mile 2 lap race this year, and am getting a new SUV this week !!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Climbing Dog View Post
    I have heard the organizers made an attempt to water down the access road last year, and would love to know how this worked, because I am riding the 52 mile 2 lap race this year, and am getting a new SUV this week !!!
    Didn't really do much to help. But the last two years, the race was held in June--before the monsoons--to support the Leadville 100. Three years ago, it was I believe in September, and the course was great, and not a spec of dust in the air. Smart move for them to move it back to September. It really left a bad taste in my mouth (literally) two years ago.

mtbr member
    I have a question to those of you that have done it.

Is there a way to stash water bottles so you can exchange them after each lap?

I won't have any support and plan to ride on bottles only. Do a lap, swap the bottles and keep going. I am doing 4 laps.
    OR
    Is there a water station where they can refill your bottles?, All the EPIC races have those.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by metalaficionado View Post
    I have a question to those of you that have done it.

Is there a way to stash water bottles so you can exchange them after each lap?

I won't have any support and plan to ride on bottles only. Do a lap, swap the bottles and keep going. I am doing 4 laps.
    OR
    Is there a water station where they can refill your bottles?, All the EPIC races have those.
    Yes

mtbr member

or?
    There is a place right on the course for soloists to leave stuff. Get there early or set up night before. Not sure about water, but plenty of beer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by casual observer View Post
    yes
    or?

mtbr member
    are there age breakouts ? I am interested in the one lap 26 mile... Are there any age breakouts for that one ? if yes, what are they ?

mtbr member
    are there age breakouts ? I am interested in the one lap 26 mile... Are there any age breakouts for that one ? if yes, what are they ?
    Barn Burner

As far as I know, this is the first time you've been able to actually do one or two laps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I can't decide between the Barn Burner and the Old Fashioned MTB Race. Anybody else on the fence?

How do the courses compare? Both seem to be non-technical XC type courses (and as a roadie, I like non technical).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadieSeeksMTB View Post
    I can't decide between the Barn Burner and the Old Fashioned MTB Race. Anybody else on the fence?

How do the courses compare? Both seem to be non-technical XC type courses (and as a roadie, I like non technical).
    I honestly can't think of anything less technical than the Barn Burner.

Ahhh the pain....
    I wouldn't call the old fashion race non-tech...sure it's got some dirt road, but the section along rocky moto will keep you honest.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Good to know...and thanks for the input. All the videos I've seen make the BB look like really wide fire roads and the Old Fashioned looks like it's in denser woods with real, actual single track on some parts - which is appealing. I'm leaning toward the latter and don't mind a little tech - I ride Desert Classic, Pemberton, and Trail 100 in PHX all the time - just not familiar with the trails up north at all.

Ahhh the pain....
    Over $2 a mile to ride dirt roads...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Over $2 a mile to ride dirt roads...
    sure... but you can't bring all that money with you when you die

mtbr member
    There is a place right on the course for soloists to leave stuff. Get there early or set up night before. Not sure about water, but plenty of beer.
    Whoa. How did you get your reply to my reply before my reply.... anyhoo

thanks.

MA

mtbr member

Whoa. How did you get your reply to my reply before my reply.... anyhoo

thanks.

MA
    I'm psychic and ****.

mtbr member
    Is it RIGID friendly? I am debating if I can endure 104 miles on a rigid. Last time I tried 70 mile AES event in Flag on a rigid, my back gave out for a week. More techy course though.

mtbr member

Is it RIGID friendly? I am debating if I can endure 104 miles on a rigid. Last time I tried 70 mile AES event in Flag on a rigid, my back gave out for a week. More techy course though.
    I'm old and sore, so nothing is rigid friendly IMO.

There is one stretch of a bumpy, rocky decent that would benefit from a fork. And a couple of the climbs are technical in nature. If you're planning on doing 104 miles, I'd have suspension. You're not planning on doing it on a single speed are you? I'd also recommend against that as well.

mtbr member
    how about tires ? I mostly interested on whether to have a beefy front (for possible wash outs at high speeds on that gravel) or a 1.9 or 2.0 front ?

It ain't easy being Green
    how about tires ? I mostly interested on whether to have a beefy front (for possible wash outs at high speeds on that gravel) or a 1.9 or 2.0 front ?
    I'd worry more about sidewall cuts if I were you... every year I see lots of guys in the rocks fixing flats. If the course is dry & dusty then big, hi-volume tires are indicated but in September it's likely to be tacky & fast; in soggy 2011 my 1.9 SB8's worked perfectly but they would have sucked in 2012 or 2013; 2.35 RaRa's did the trick in the June dust.

Rigid/CX? Yep, seen both of those in the race before; tandems even!

mtbr member
    2.0 upfront??? There are downhill sections at Barn Burnwer were bikers hit over 30 mph. Not sure if you want skinny front tire for that.

mtbr member
    2.0 upfront??? There are downhill sections at Barn Burnwer were bikers hit over 30 mph. Not sure if you want skinny front tire for that.
    Good to know... thx,

mtbr member
    hmmmm. can I mention the R word ??

mtbr member
    I'm not doing it, so be my guest.

Registered Bike Offender
    Personally I don't know anyone that does Barn Burner for the course. It is all about the atmostphere; camp, drink beer, hang out with friends, and do some racin'. I've done just about every race in AZ and Barn Burner is by far the most boring course. It is all mostly level forest roads, with one loose rocky downhill section and a big climb at the end. Old Fashioned is one of my favorites. Perfect mix of technical, climbing, fast downhill, and 2.5miles of fire roads after the start so everyone settles into their position before the real course begins.
    "Grab life by the bars"

Quote Originally Posted by 1fast29er View Post
    ... It is all about the atmostphere; camp, drink beer, hang out with friends, and do some racin'...
    And that's a bad thing coz...? I race the Barnburner for exactly those reasons; it's also a good fitness check and an easy way to bypass the Leadville lottery (if that's your bag). If you want a challenge, get into town a day early and go ride Hangover.

Whatever, 104 miles on a MTB is non-trivial regardless of the course, especially at 7000 ft. Those buckles have to be earned.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Not doing the BB but getting ready to head up to Colorado in a few minutes for the Grand Junction off road. You want tough tech race, this will have it. it's the best I've done yet. SSAZ is 2nd.
    If you happen to be in Grand Junction give me a holler, I am taking the whole following week off to ride everything I can on the way back home. if all go right I will be very sore and not want to see a bike for another week.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

Rex R
    I raced it last year SS Solo. Was in 1st until mile 73 when my chain ring bolts decided to let go which shattered my chainring into 3 pieces :/. DNF.

I'll be back this year- but going Duo SS with a buddy from here in CO. We are looking forward to it. Good environment, great beer, fun folks- can't go wrong. Sure- the course is no Vapor Trail, but as a Leadville Qualifier- it's pretty good at what it's meant to be. Still scenic and fun. The weather is looking promising (50% chance showers- that will be AWESOME for the dust control as long as it doesn't get sloppy). My only complaint about the course was the dust...I was coughing up mud chunks for a week after the race . Hope to see some folks out there this weekend! -Rex R

Rex R
    As for tires- last year I rode Racing Ralphs snakeskins 2.25 front / rear. They worked well- but wear out too fast. This year I'm just running the Maxxis Ikon EXOs (2.35/2.2) that are on the bike. Anything fast seems to work well. I will say I was surprised how many people there were with flats last year for such a mild course. The few rocky sections feature sharp basaltic rocks- pretty good at cutting tires if you hit them wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by machwon View Post
    I raced it last year SS Solo. Was in 1st until mile 73 when my chain ring bolts decided to let go which shattered my chainring into 3 pieces :/. DNF.
    I remember you posted pics of that... bummer! My race last year was hampered when a rock smacked my front valve stem on lap 3 and a slow leak developed, so slow that I didn't even notice until I heard my rim banging off the rocks on the next lap. Worst finish ever. I'll be back for another try next weekend. Racing Ralph 2.35 front, Maxxis Ikon 2.2 rear. Hoping for rain all day Thursday and Friday; that's what happened in 2011 and the trails were awesome!

mtbr member
    http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/frog-...ng-928995.html

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I have a couple of questions for those who have done the Barn Burner before. This is my first time doing a bike race and I was wondering about the start. From video clips I have seen online it looks like everyone does a running start to their bikes. It also looks like most people have someone there to hold the bike for them. If I don't have anyone to hold my bike do I just leave it on the side of the trail? Do I have to worry about someone walking off with my bike? Is it better to have your bike as close as possible to the start line or further out?

Second, on camping... The barn burner flyer states to have your permit displayed in the window... do I need to buy a camping permit or anything prior to heading up or do I buy the permit onsite? Do the campsites fill up quickly and if so are there overfill spots available? I am heading up Friday and leaving after the race.

Thanks!
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    There are long bike racks, like in a tri swim-bike transition zone. 10-15 minutes before the start everybody starts hanging their bikes on the racks. Then everybody walks to the starting corral maybe 100 yards away. The race director talks, the national anthem is played, and the shotgun goes off. Then everybody runs or walks fast back to the long bike racks. I'm sure the relay riders and "racers" run, I have always walked fast.

The time difference between the first and last person getting their bikes off the rack and headed down the trail can't be more than 5 minutes.

The Barn Burner gets some negative reviews on this site because it is not technical (has no hike-a-bike sections or stationary conga lines), but as posted earlier, riding 104 miles on a mountain bike at 7000+ feet is quite challenging and time consuming The start is a novel idea but means nothing to your overall finish time

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FireLikeIYA View Post
    I have a couple of questions for those who have done the Barn Burner before. This is my first time doing a bike race and I was wondering about the start. From video clips I have seen online it looks like everyone does a running start to their bikes. It also looks like most people have someone there to hold the bike for them. If I don't have anyone to hold my bike do I just leave it on the side of the trail? Do I have to worry about someone walking off with my bike? Is it better to have your bike as close as possible to the start line or further out?

Second, on camping... The barn burner flyer states to have your permit displayed in the window... do I need to buy a camping permit or anything prior to heading up or do I buy the permit onsite? Do the campsites fill up quickly and if so are there overfill spots available? I am heading up Friday and leaving after the race.

Thanks!
    Regarding your second question, I'm 99% positive this is given to you when you pull into the venue. I don't recall if there is a fee or donation required to camp/park. But I'm fairly certain you are given some kind of permit. That said, I never got something ahead of time. Regarding space, there's a ton, so no it won't overfill.

mtbr member
    thats funny. makes no sense to have to pay for camping when there are literally 1000's of acres of free dispersed camping near the race start...

if in fact, they do charge for camping

mtbr member
    Hmmmm here it is

Camping will be available at C&C Ranch starting Thursday at 4:00 p.m. until Sunday at 2:00 p.m. To camp or park on race day, cars will be charged $10, RVs $20, plus 2 non-perishable food items per person. A portion of camping fees will be donated to the Mountain Bike Association of Arizona and the Flagstaff Biking Organization. Food donations will benefit St. Mary's Food Bank in Flagstaff.

mtbr member
    thats funny. makes no sense to have to pay for camping when there are literally 1000's of acres of free dispersed camping near the race start...

You're not required to camp at the venue, which is on private property.

Rex R
    yeah it was a bummer of a day! Sounds like you can relate! Glad to hear you will be back-looking forward to it, Hope we will have better luck this year! Stop by the Kokopelli tent and say hi if you get a chance!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Climbing Dog View Post
    There are long bike racks... ...The Barn Burner gets some negative reviews on this site because it is not technical (has no hike-a-bike sections or stationary conga lines), but as posted earlier, riding 104 miles on a mountain bike at 7000+ feet is quite challenging and time consuming
    Thank you for the reply! I wasn't sure what to expect. I just want to note that they changed the Barn Burner up a little bit. They now let you do 104, 52 or 26miles. I believe this is the first year that they have done this. When I went to pick up my packet I asked how many participants they are expecting and was told 700! That's crazy! The number of participants seems like it would make it a challenge by itself.

Regarding your second question, I'm 99% positive this is given to you when you pull into the venue. I don't recall if there is a fee or donation required to camp/park. But I'm fairly certain you are given some kind of permit. That said, I never got something ahead of time. Regarding space, there's a ton, so no it won't overfill.

You're not required to camp at the venue, which is on private property.
    I wasn't sure on the camping part. It's been a long time since I camped in an area that didn't require fees and reservations. I'll probably just pay the fee this year and if I come back again I think I will opt for the free camping.

Thanks again for the replies!

mtbr member
    Fire. Not sure if you caught this info... but, if you get there Friday Night, you don't have to pay for camping. Only on race day....

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Fire. Not sure if you caught this info... but, if you get there Friday Night, you don't have to pay for camping. Only on race day....
    No, I didn't catch that. Thanks for pointing that out!

mtbr member
    Ill be up there tomorrow camping 6 to 630PM stop by my site please ! Ill have some mexican pastries (for carb loading ) and plenty of a variety of cold beverages.

Not sure if anyone else will be building a fire ??

My name is brian and I drive a white Subaru Forester.. I ride a Scott Scale REd and black hardtail.

mtbr member
    Does this coarse get real muddy when its wet ??

mtbr member
    No it gets Slippery When Wet!!!

Name:  tumblr_inline_mfpzvmtLCN1rt1g9c.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  219.9 KB

mtbr member
    if it's like this... it don't matter what tires you use...

BCT DEATH MUD...

Anyone doing the Barn burner?-849537d1385318356-special-bct-shuttle-cancelled-bw_003.jpg

Rex R
    Anyone down there right now? We aren't able to head down there until tonight due to work. We have been getting some moisture in CO- how does the course look? Hoping it packs in nicely for tomorrow!

We aren't camping but feel free to swing by the Kokopelli awning- should be after the first bend on the course after the barn. I'm Rex and my team mate is Eric. See you folks in Flag!

mtbr member
    I did about 5hrs on Arizona Trail yesterday in the Rain. Conditions were good for the most part, but this was all single track. We did look at FR418, but never rode on it. Rain on Thrusday was spotty in that some places got heavy rain and others a light mist. Some ares were nearly dry and other had small puddles over hardpack. Messy, but no death mud, but again that was on single track.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I did about 5hrs on Arizona Trail yesterday in the Rain. Conditions were good for the most part, but this was all single track. We did look at FR418, but never rode on it. Rain on Thrusday was spotty in that some places got heavy rain and others a light mist. Some ares were nearly dry and other had small puddles over hardpack. Messy, but no death mud, but again that was on single track.
    thx for that Joe !, I think the roads for this race (can't call them trails lol) will be fine.. . no rain forecast for tomorrow morning... I will say that in Northern Arizona the more traveled a dirt road is, the better it is wet... not sure if that helps ??

mtbr member
    They are well maintained fire roads. I was up for Flag2GC a month ago and it had rained on/off that week and some light showers the morning of.
    The roads get a bit of mud in some spots but not un-rideable and certainly not a problem for the race, the water clears from the roads quick.

Dust will not be an issue tomorrow; we've now had a solid hour of heavy rain, it's clearing away now and the trails should be tacky and awesome for the race. Forecast says maybe a little more rain late this evening but it should be gone by 11pm. Forecast also says more rain from 1pm tomorrow so ride fast, people! 2011 all over again...

Black and Sticky
    I just got back into Flagstaff after going out to the course to pick up my packet. The roads going in are a little muddy. I never felt like I was going to get stuck but it was a little slippery. Worst part was having to follow a slow moving trailer camper for 5 miles. I went in from Bellemont side and back out via FR 245/US 180. By far the easier route was 245/180. That route has less dirt road and there was a maintainer blading 245. Of course that route requires you to go thru Flagstaff.

Good luck to all tomorrow. Hope sdcadbiker is right and the course is tacky and not muddy.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

Quote Originally Posted by Bituman View Post
    Good luck to all tomorrow. Hope sdcadbiker is right and the course is tacky and not muddy.

Bob
    The course is decomposed granite, it doesn't really get muddy. There may be some puddles around but nothing that will F' up your traction or drivetrain. Like I said, this is a re-run of 2011 when trail conditions were the best ever; it's way better than sucking up trail dust, I can assure you of that. All I need now is for the donkey to appear again for a total "deja vu all over again" experience :-)

Black and Sticky
    Quote Originally Posted by sdcadbiker View Post
    The course is decomposed granite, it doesn't really get muddy. There may be some puddles around but nothing that will F' up your traction or drivetrain. Like I said, this is a re-run of 2011 when trail conditions were the best ever; it's way better than sucking up trail dust, I can assure you of that. All I need now is for the donkey to appear again for a total "deja vu all over again" experience :-)
    I'll look out for that donkey!

I just looked at the trail map and noticed it shows aid stations. Do they have water at those or should I carry enough for each lap?

Thanks sdcadbiker, hope you have a fun ride tomorrow. If you see an old dude on an orange Jabber say hi.

Bob
    "Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission." - Neil Kendall

Always in the wrong gear
    I have heard reports of rainy conditions and that the camping area is pretty slick. Good luck to all of you!
    Salsa El Mariachi SS

Flat Tire Bike Shop, Cave Creek, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Bituman View Post
    I'll look out for that donkey!

I just looked at the trail map and noticed it shows aid stations. Do they have water at those or should I carry enough for each lap?

Thanks sdcadbiker, hope you have a fun ride tomorrow. If you see an old dude on an orange Jabber say hi.

Bob
    There's a ton of aid stations, typically at every major intersection; some are better stocked than others but why would you want to commit yourself to stopping more than once per lap? It's best to carry enough liquid to make the whole lap; two bottles or a small camelbak should be sufficient.

Well f* me, what an amazing day! The last commenter was correct about the access road and the campsite, slick as snot with cars stuck all over! We made it though (just!) and had no problems getting set up. The race start was changed from the usual Le Mans to straight-up "go!" because the campsite was too muddy for a parade lap. The trail from the start to the first fire road was a mess too, which made for lots of fun for those of us stuck at the back...

Anyway, I lost about 10 minutes on lap 1 due to picking my way through the crowd but lap 2 I started motoring with some guys who were riding my pace and managed a 1:40 lap. The trails were tacky and traction was not an issue all day.

Lap three was going gangbusters too but the course was closed just after the bottom of the long rock garden descent to allow an injured ride to be life-flighted out; we all had to wait 30 minutes except for the top 20 or so guys who made it through before the course was closed. I don't know any details of the accident but I sure hope that the guy is OK.

My legs had decided that the race was over because of the long delay and I had to warm up all over again. Anyway, slow lap.

Lap 4 the heavens opened and it pissed down with rain, I was wet and cold but the trails were still good and I stopped the clock at 8:02. My garmin said 7:32; add 5 minutes for pit stops and my "real" time was ~7:37, a PR by many minutes. 22nd overall, 5th in age group (50+).

I had a blast, and the road out of the ranch had dried out by the time we left :-)

Anyone doing the Barn burner?-andybarnburnerfinish2014.jpg

mtbr member
    Word is, dude had a broken neck.

:-(

mtbr member
    That was fun 4th in quad and 12th overall.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone doing the Barn burner?-bb.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I was wondering what happened... That sucks.

Rex R
    That's a real bummer to hear about the severe injury. I rolled up to the traffic jam stop about 5 minutes before the helicopter took off. I can't imagine going down hard on that final descent- My Garmin showed me hitting 35 mph at one point. I hope the rider has the best recovery possible.

As for us- I finally got some closure for last year's showing. I didn't have near the fitness I had last year (new father) but we still had a good time. Turns out (didn't know this until after our second lap) that we were in 1st place....of 1 team in our category lol. I guess I duo Single Speed didn't sound too appealing to folks this year! That made for a much more cautious and relaxed second lap for each of us. First lap was 1:47, but I went out too hard and cramped badly on the last climb of the second lap (huge thanks to the girl who gave me some high sodium gels). All in all we finished at 8:14 with one flat, and stopped for about 20 minutes for the emergency closure. Moving time was 7:55 for the two of us. 1st out of 1 in our division and 23/57 in all Duos. 30x17t was a little steep for me on those climbs but was really nice on the flats lol. It was nice meeting some cool folks and of course Four Peaks was as good as I remember it!

They gave us the 2nd place awards at 1st lol... I didn't even notice:
    Anyone doing the Barn burner?-img_0055_zps7ed465df.jpg

Anyone doing the Barn burner?-img_0043_zps8e197896.jpg

Anyone doing the Barn burner?-img_0034_zps3bcf6d42.jpg

Anyone doing the Barn burner?-img_0024_zps544e88d9.jpg

Rex R
    Looks like everyone else here had a good race as well- congrats all!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Grunion View Post
    That was fun 4th in quad and 12th overall.

So who drives this black truck?

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    giving away babies as prizes can't be legal