Any Soma 29ers around?- Mtbr.com
    Not a Barry supporter.

Any Soma 29ers around?

I like the bent TT aspect but not sure about sizing and TT length. I'd like to test ride one if possible but I haven't found a shop with one built up.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    I like the bent TT aspect but not sure about sizing and TT length. I'd like to test ride one if possible but I haven't found a shop with one built up.
    Dave is Preskit is riding one....
    see http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=249046

Not a Barry supporter.
    I knew I could count on you DG....Thanks!
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Large wheels & one gear
    Also Crash, the Pig sometimes has one built up. I have found on the sizing that they run on the small side. A large is more like a medium for me. I don't own one but have rode a couple. I also like the dog-legged TT.

Oh...and SMC had quite a few frames in stock last time I was in.
    I Never Apologize............I'm Sorry, That's Just The Way I Am.

Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Dave is Preskit is riding one....
    Mine is being replaced by a monkey this week. The warranty issue I've had is detailed in the above link, and since then I've had others email me with similar issues.

It has a nice ride, a good blend of being vertically compliant (especially up front) without flexing under pedal load. The frame is reasonabley light. It was finished very well, no facing or chasing required.

On the other side, the QC and attention to detail seems to suck. The paint rubs of quickly under cables, though it resists rocks and mud just fine. The bottle cage mounts on the seat tube are unnecessarily high, and preclude the use of a full size bottle. Most seriously (besides the cracking) is the rear spacing, mine is closer to 127mm then the claimed 132.5, which is a serious pain.

It could be a good option, but I'm psyched to be getting the Monkey.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions.
    Last edited by ionsmuse; 12-07-2006 at 02:41 PM.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Mine is being replaced by a monkey this week. The warranty issue I've had is detailed in the above link, and since then I've had others email me with similar issues.

It has a nice ride, a good blend of being vertically compliant (especially up front) without flexing under pedal load. The frame is reasonabley light. It was finished very well, no facing or chasing required.

On the other side, the QC and attention to detail seems to suck. The paint rubs of quickly under cables, though it resists rocks and mud just fine. The bottle cage mounts on the seat tube are unnecessarily high, and preclude the use of a full size bottle. Most seriously (besides the cracking) is the rear spacing, mine is closer to 127mm then the claimed 132.5, which is a serious pain.

It could be a good option, but I'm psyched to be getting the Monkey.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions.
    That's a shame. I really like the look of this steed. I was thinking about the mustache bars. I like the look and I can see a real advantage in a race like the OP. This machine just looks fast. Since the ETT is short, I doubt I could ride it. I like to be really stretched out and in that race position. Oh well, cross another one off the list. Of course, it's still gonna be a while b/4 I can pick one up anyway.
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    just built myself up a juice, and the bent TT is great. I have an 18" Trek 8900 with a higher standover than the 18" Juice b/c of the bent TT on the juice. Soma makes great bikes, and im lookin forward to getting to ride this as much as I can. Its built up SS too, so its gunna be ballsy on the trails.

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    I just built up a juice about 3 months ago as well. I am 5'9 with a 30 inch inseam and fit a large perfectly. I am running gears and not singlespeed. Fully built with a heavy DT Swiss wheelset mine comes in at about 29.5 lbs. I have a lighter set I plan to use for racing whiskey off-road maybe AZT 300.

I don't have any cracks in the welds yet (hopefully ever) but the dropout width is smaller that the 132.5mm advertised. I haven't gotten a flat yet on the trail but when I do it will most likely be a bear to change out.

If you run disc brakes you will have to loosen them every time you swap rear wheels. If you run without a through hub try a shimano XT QR skewer. I ran salsas and they slipped too much in the horizontal dropouts, the xt seems to work great and I have put it under some punishment (thank the guys at the Pig for that fix and for a Chris on a Green Niner at T100 for giving me the tip to ask them).

Last thing, if you want to run a Reba it will hit the downtube. I had an extra oversized stay protector that I cut and put on the downtube which looks kind of cool and keeps the tube protected even during a crash.

All that said, for $450 it's a high quality frame with some drawbacks. If you want a frame with no negatives you will have to spend $850 to $1200. Comparable in the range would be the Karate Monkey and the Inbred by On-One. I think the KM has 135mm spaced horizontal DOs but not sure if the Reba clears. I know the Reba does not clear the Inbred but it has sliding dropouts and a replacable derailleur hanger.

Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
    Quote Originally Posted by GueroAZ
    I know the Reba does not clear the Inbred but it has sliding dropouts and a replacable derailleur hanger.
    Newer Inbreds have been updated so the Reba will fit nicely.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm riding a Soma 29er

I have been on a Soma Juice for almost a year now and still love it. It's not fancy or high tech but it is a nice ride at a great price point. I have had no problems with cracks or any other type failure. My Reba clears the down tube just fine. Also I have had no noticable issue with drop out width or QR sliding in the horiz. drop outs. You do have to loosen the disk mount bolts to remove the rear wheel, adds a whole minute to flat repair, I can live with this. I'm 5'10, the large is a perfect fit.

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    Hey Gbeckner,

I have a Reba Race and a large frame (Tange Prestige version). Do you use the Cane Creek headset that has an extra 5mm on it? I went with a King and found a $5 fix that has worked great.

I agree with the post, great frame for the price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hi GueroAZ

I have the King headset. The (awesome) guys over at South Mountain Cycles set it up for me. It's possible they knew of the magic $5 fix and installed it without mentioning to me, looks like a standared setup to me. I attempted to attach a photo but I'm haveing some kind of techinical difficulty.

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    Do you have a spacer in there? I am a 5 minute drive from those guys. I might have to drop my Soma off and have them make the Reba fit. My fix was just cutting a chainstay guard and putting it on the downtube.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Riding year in review

Basics: Bike is setup Singlespeed and fully rigid. Wheels are King SS's laced to Salsa Delgados built by your's truly. XTR crankset with machined custom spider. Thomson / Thomson. Currently riding on WTB Exiwolfs and used as commuter / trail bike. I definitely recommend those Exiwolfs. Rolling resistance is incredibly low. easily approaching 2k miles (on the same chain chain and tires too... awesome)

After a year of riding the Juice in most every condition imaginable, I have concluded that this is a great bike. Sure, it could be a tad lighter, but hey, its a fairly cheap frame with very few problems.

Problems:
    Rear Spacing is about 7 - 10 mm smaller than said 135mm. (This makes is difficult to remove or insert the rear wheel, and I hope I never flat on the trail)
    Rear brake mount setup is to where you MUST loosen the brake mounts to get the wheel out.

Advantages:
    Bend in the Top tube compensates for a higher stand-over to allow a "normal" geometry. Great fit. For me, this was a MUST. I'm only 5'9" and could easily be overwhelmed by a straight top tube.
    Not Single Speed specific
    Stiff as a mofo

President Skroob
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeSmthsn
    Basics: Bike is setup Singlespeed and fully rigid. Wheels are King SS's laced to Salsa Delgados built by your's truly. XTR crankset with machined custom spider. Thomson / Thomson. Currently riding on WTB Exiwolfs and used as commuter / trail bike. I definitely recommend those Exiwolfs. Rolling resistance is incredibly low. easily approaching 2k miles (on the same chain chain and tires too... awesome)

After a year of riding the Juice in most every condition imaginable, I have concluded that this is a great bike. Sure, it could be a tad lighter, but hey, its a fairly cheap frame with very few problems.

Problems:
    Rear Spacing is about 7 - 10 mm smaller than said 135mm. (This makes is difficult to remove or insert the rear wheel, and I hope I never flat on the trail)
    Rear brake mount setup is to where you MUST loosen the brake mounts to get the wheel out.

Advantages:
    Bend in the Top tube compensates for a higher stand-over to allow a "normal" geometry. Great fit. For me, this was a MUST. I'm only 5'9" and could easily be overwhelmed by a straight top tube.
    Not Single Speed specific
    Stiff as a mofo
    Sounds like you have last year's frame. I had one and broke the weld at the seat stay chain stay connector. I actually broke both on a pretty easy trail. It took the shop and distributor about 10 days to warranty a new frame. I had your spacing problem on that frame but with the new warrantied frame it's gone. Keep an eye on that connector.

It always sucks to break a frame but 10 days is amazing especially for a $450 frame. I think it's rare to actually get what you pay for in this world. This is a case where you not only get what you pay for but maybe a bit more. I would prefer a removable derailleur hanger but that might jack up the price too much.

Members who have read this thread: 0