Any single track at the South Rim- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Any single track at the South Rim

We are spending a few days at Grand Canyon NP - South Rim soon. Anybody know of some good single/double track XC in the area?

Saucy Size
    Yup, great singletrack heads east out of the Grandview Lookout tower. I think maybe 12ish miles? It's singletrack all the way down to the Moqui Stagecoach Station, very nice.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

DNW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Or, start at the Grandview Fire Tower (Arizona Trail Rd. off Hwy 64 east of Grandview Pt.), and look for signs for Tusayan Trail on the other side of the road. The first 4 miles are singletrack, you can do an out and back to Watson Tank for 8 total miles, or go 20 miles all the way into Tusayan. Its a great one way ride if you can work out a shuttle.

Saucy Size
    I've never done the ride from Grandview to Tusayan! How's the trail? I've only done Flag to Grandview, and by the time the singletrack starts back at Russell Tank I'm kind of ready to be done. ;-)

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

DNW
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The Grandview to Tusayan Trail is not bad, it is in the Ponderosas the whole way, 4 miles of singletrack, then the rest is a combination of two track roads and small singletrack connectors. It is a great summer early morning ride when it is still cool.

Don't believe the Hype...
    Usally go down Bright Angel then shuttle back up on my trusty Burro
    Made with real bits of Panther, so you know it's good...

www.krackedskulls.com
    use promo code "lucky" for 5% off

mtbr member
    The Tusayan bike path has a lot to offer in the way of XC as was said earlier it is a mix of ST and two track. I think the AZT route from Grand View to Tusayan is about 16 miles. There is also a newly signed AZT alignment form Tusayan to the South Rim from the trail head north of town head north on the west side of the hwy when the main trail heads east under the hwy stay on the west side heading north. I am not sure if the FS has built the little piece of ST yet but just keep heading north on the old two track and then get to a dirt road (leads to horse riding operation) just before the dirt road hits the hwy look north and you will see a newish gate. I know for sure that the AZT is all signed from there on mostly old two track this is the historic park entrance road. eventually you will come to the Rim trail and ride right to the South Rim at Yaki Point. This little bit of the Rim trail is now the AZT and is open to bikes but this is the only part of it that is open to bike so pleas to not ride any other parts of it. As I remember it is about 7 miles one way.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks folks. That will definitely do me!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0