Any races for a 'so-so' good rider coming up?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Any races for a 'so-so' good rider coming up?

Hi everyone,
    Just seeing if there are any races in the near future for a person that is an okay rider. I think I ride pretty well on the trails but haven't really done it in competition.
    Thanks

Elitest thrill junkie
    Just an off-the-wall question: Why do you need to compete to know if you're a good rider? Is there something gained by racing that is not present when riding with other people?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i have always like competitions and pushing myself. Just want to try something new, as there weren't many competitions/races where I grew up in WY.

mtbr member
    Tour of the White Mountains is coming up very soon on Oct. 3rd... it will be my first race! I'm doing the 35 mile loop but they have a 15, 35, and 65 mile race. If you've never ridden around the White Mountains, they have some fantastic trails out there.

Check out the race details here --> http://epicrides.com/towm/towm.htm

If you register before Sept. 6th, you'll beat the $10 fee increase.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    If you've never raced before, most venues have a beginner class. You usually can pre-ride the course to get a feel for the tech level, and then decide if it is for you. There aren't really any races specifically for "okay riders", so you should just sign up for the beginner or sport class at your nearest race, and have at it. After a race or two, you will know if the thrill of competition and racing is worth it for you to spend the entry fee.

For starters, you should check out these sites.
    http://www.dcbadventures.com/DCB/Events.html
    http://www.mbaa.net/
    http://www.imba.com/

There are also grassroots races in AZ, that don't have an entry fee, but they are generally for advanced riders who can navigate and ride long distances over difficult terrain.

If you want a more specific answer, you should post up what trails you have ridden in AZ, your impressions of those trails, and what kind of riding you would like to try based on those experiences.
    "Doing the right thing" is like water. It's good for all living things,and flows without thinking about where it's going.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    i may look into do that one, I hope to ride in the mtns tomorrow. Do you know if that trail is for full suspension. I have a hardtail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by reel effort
    i may look into do that one, I hope to ride in the mtns tomorrow. Do you know if that trail is for full suspension. I have a hardtail.
    It's not just one trail, they link several of the trails in Pinetop/Show Low together to make the long loops. Check out the website to see the actual trails.

I've ridden a hardtail 29er up there with no problems. It's all a matter of comfort level right? I'm also pretty new at mountain biking... I started in April of this year.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

oct 10th

Quote Originally Posted by reel effort
    Hi everyone,
    Just seeing if there are any races in the near future for a person that is an okay rider. I think I ride pretty well on the trails but haven't really done it in competition.
    Thanks
    I think someone gave the link to DCB but I wanted to add that their first DD race is Oct 10 at McDowell.

http://www.dcbadventures.com/DCB/DD_...onal_Park.html

Tiff

Steel is Real
    Feb 2008
    I did the 3-race DCB Dust Devil series as my first Mtn Bike races a few years ago and had a great time.

I started out in the Beginner class, and the pace was surprisingly fast. Don't be mistaken by the "beginner" tag... Just like Moto racing, these are beginner racers, not beginner riders.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    +1, Having Recently Started Racing (within last year), I will say that the Dust Devil and maybe the MBAA races might be a good place to start, beginner level. You missed out on one of the best places to start, the Flagstaff St. Mary's Food Bank Ride, which is a great starter, but you should be able to catch some of the DD & MBAA coming up. I would be somewhat cautious starting with a 35 mile race in Pinetop/Show Low as my first race, especially if I am not fully confident, but that is your decision to make.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    I will agree on DCB races. I had a good experience with them, most riders were super cool and the races were challenging (as they should be). It was my first year at racing ever and I did alright...well worth trying. I recommend getting on the tracks DCB uses to see what your up against though and to see how you ride against the beginner times for your age group last year (posted online) so you know the pace.

Members who have read this thread: 0