Any quality frame builders in AZ - specifically steel- Mtbr.com
    MTBR Tool

Any quality frame builders in AZ - specifically steel

I have a beautiful old Columbus OR Nivacrom custom frame that has a 1" steerer. Due to a long sabbatical on my part this 12 yr old frame is in pretty good shape. I would love to convert it to a 1 1/8" steering tube and horizontal rear drop out for a future foray into SS'ing. Does anyone have some local recommendations for quality builders?

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Srexy
    I have a beautiful old Columbus OR Nivacrom custom frame that has a 1" steerer. Due to a long sabbatical on my part this 12 yr old frame is in pretty good shape. I would love to convert it to a 1 1/8" steering tube and horizontal rear drop out for a future foray into SS'ing. Does anyone have some local recommendations for quality builders?
    Coconino Cycles in Flagstaff works in steel.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Portable curmudgeon

Some suggestions

Cross posting your question on the SS Forum could get a wider response. Scope out the SS forum's FAQs, too. It might include a list of SS builders, both local and long distance.

Have you thought about an EBB and disc mounts instead of track fork ends? Vulture does this and SS forum folks have been pleased with his work. The 1" headtube isn't a dead end if you can find a decent 1" Marzocchi. better yet, go (or stay) rigid on a sweet NOS steel fork.

Here are the AZ builders I can think of who do steel. If they do conversions is another thing. Oasis replaced a dropout for me once. If he's still around, he might do a retrofit.

Coconino: Flagstaff, mutant
    Kind: Flagstaff
    Colian/Laing: Tempe, road only maybe?
    Gilmour: Tucson, seems mostly road, too
    Oasis: Glendale

There may have been an article in Sweat magazine recently about Arizona frame builders. A PM to PaulB would help you chase it down.

Sounds like a fun project. Have fun with it.
    Call me ~Gila~

mtbr member

English gent by the name of Colin Laing

builds custom frames, both road and mountain. He used to work at Supergo (only for the health ins) but lately he's at Tempe Bike. He's a really nice guy, in his fifties or sixties, and has been around bikes a long time. I was checking in to it last year before I decided to get a rockhound frame. I think he built one for Gnarlene, who sometimes hangs out here, as I recall.

MTBR Tool
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Walla
    builds custom frames, both road and mountain. He used to work at Supergo (only for the health ins) but lately he's at Tempe Bike. He's a really nice guy, in his fifties or sixties, and has been around bikes a long time. I was checking in to it last year before I decided to get a rockhound frame. I think he built one for Gnarlene, who sometimes hangs out here, as I recall.

Thank you - that would be perfect seeing as how the frame is built by another English gent by the name of Chas Roberts. I'll see if I can track him down - I think I recall seeing some of his bikes hanging in there (Tempe Bicycle) before.

MTBR Tool
    OK - spoke to Colin and the head tube+dropouts should come to $95 - add on another $100 for a powder coat and I'm a happy camper.

We'll wait and see how it all turns out but from speaking to him I'm fairly confident he should be able to match the fillet brazing that is currently on the bike.