Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Any Prius owners?

Any recommendations for bike transportation? Considering a trunk rack, and may add a hitch. but probably not going roof rack route.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Dirt Merchant
    My Yukon gave birth to one of those.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

******ed or Branded??
    Prius are for same sex marriage people, hence the picture of Marky mark and the Elf!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by doodooboi
    Prius are for same sex marriage people, hence the picture of Marky mark and the Elf!!
    Thanks for the input. I wasn't aware what one drives was dictated by sexual preference.

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Thanks for the input. I wasn't aware what one drives was dictated by sexual preference.
    Your welcome, the prius is just an exception to the rule for SP. Plus I wanted to just inform you of it. My work here is done!

Now I suggest you get a North shore rack! There is a Scion XA with one of those on and and it looks sweet! Maybe Turtlegirl and chime in!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    We have a 2001 Prius and a trunk rack worked ok - the hooks were hard to fit underneath the spooked since it's so shallow.

Ended up putting a hitch on our Corolla. Got it from UHaul for under $100 and installed it myself in 10 minutes. I think it would mount on the Prius in the same way.

Much happier with the hitch rack overall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Tech
    We have a 2001 Prius and a trunk rack worked ok - the hooks were hard to fit underneath the spooked since it's so shallow.

Ended up putting a hitch on our Corolla. Got it from UHaul for under $100 and installed it myself in 10 minutes. I think it would mount on the Prius in the same way.

Much happier with the hitch rack overall.
    I might just go that route. We have a hitchmounted rack now, but it's useless after we sold the Xterra (just before me and the Missus turned Ghey).

Elitest thrill junkie
    Truck racks eventually screw up your car, scratch the paint, dent/warp the panels/bumper, etc. They are ok as a temp solution, but hitch or roof is a real solution, and hitch racks are way WAY better than they were 10 years ago, no question for a prius IMO, hitch all the way. There's someone down the street from me that has a roof rack (and often a bike) on top of their prius. I laugh every time I see that. Like, why not just get a 4cyl pickup and put it in the bed?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

banned
    Surprised they even have a hitch rack for a Prius. There seems to be two types depending on the year: http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CGIQ8wIwAA#

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CGUQ8wIwAQ#

I wouldn't want to put anything too heavy on the bike rack. Might want to put two big reinforcement plates on the inside of the vehicle rather than just bolts if that is all the rack come with.

TD

mtbr member
    If your in a bind....I took the fork, bars and seat post off my frame (20" 29er) and got everything in the under storage unit. Frame and wheels on top in the trunk with plenty of room for bags and supplies for our family of four for weekend away. Also got shoes and helmet in the under storage as well. Took me 15mins at the motel to put it back together but was worth being able to bring my bike.

Ive been looking at the under hitch as well for mine. Looks fairly easy to install.

Shovel Ready
    Any recommendations for bike transportation? Considering a trunk rack, and may add a hitch. but probably not going roof rack route.
    Maybe swap this around and see if you can carry a Prius on your bike.
    Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64
    Maybe swap this around and see if you can carry a Prius on your bike.
    Ha!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Trunk racks do suck.

Hitch rack's won't kill your gas mileage and the new ones that you don't have to hang the bike from are very nice to use.

Roof rack I think is out of the question. Effectively doubling your cars wind resistance would effectively STOP your environment killing Prius.

Here's how a man saves gas. 40mpg with bikes on the roof. '01 Golf TDi 145 HP 250 TQ, 3" lift, Aluminum Skidplate, M&S Tires. 8" Ground Clearance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pbbreath
    Trunk racks do suck.

Hitch rack's won't kill your gas mileage and the new ones that you don't have to hang the bike from are very nice to use.

Roof rack I think is out of the question. Effectively doubling your cars wind resistance would effectively STOP your environment killing Prius.

Here's how a man saves gas. 40mpg with bikes on the roof. '01 Golf TDi 145 HP 250 TQ, 3" lift, Aluminum Skidplate, M&S Tires. 8" Ground Clearance.

To be blunt, we may use the Prius 2-3 times a year to transport the bikes. I have a roof rack on my Mazda, and it can hold two bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Trunk racks do suck.

ever read the article about how Prius do more environmental damage then hummers mile for mile? Just need some lights! Rally time

Shovel Ready
    How many have seen the guy with the (i think) BMW motorcycle that has a bicycle rack. He is at the 40th lot every now and then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenstein406
    ever read the article about how Prius do more environmental damage then hummers mile for mile? Just need some lights! Rally time
    Link? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume this is from some group with an agenda.

Shovel Ready
    Link? I'm going to go out on a limb and assume this is from some group with an agenda.
    You mean there are groups without an agenda?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    That article is '07 I'd guess...

With no regard to the environment, here's the low down on why you were stupid to buy a Prius. Yes Stupid.

Side by side Comparison of Toyota Prius vs Toyota Corolla (Don't tell me the Prius is nicer than a Corolla or you're really brainwashed)

Base Model Prius
    $23,050

Base Model Corolla
    $15,600

Difference: $7450

Prius expected lifespan: 100,000 Miles
    (Battery replacement is expected to be 100,000 miles and cost more than the car will be worth at that point)

Corolla Expected Lifespan: 200,000 Miles
    (Lets be honest I've seen many Corollas with over 300,000 miles I'm just doing 200,000 miles to be nice)

Prius Combined MPG 45
    Corolla Combined MPG 30

Assuming $4.00 per gallon fuel, you have to drive the Prius 55,185 miles to just break even with the cost of the Corolla.
    (We'll leave out maintenance costs even though the Prius would be much higher it's hard to find that data)

Purchase Price + Fuel only for the life of a Prius $31,950
    Purshase Price + Fuel only for the life of a Corolla $42,600

Sounds good until you consider the Corolla is going 200,000 miles vs 100,000 miles on the Prius.

Cost Per mile in a lifetime

Prius: $0.3195
    Corolla: $0.213

Yep you're losing $1 ever 10 miles you drive because you bought the trendy one. Glad your wife talked you into it now?

mtbr member
    That article is '07 I'd guess...

With no regard to the environment, here's the low down on why you were stupid to buy a Prius. Yes Stupid.

Side by side Comparison of Toyota Prius vs Toyota Corolla (Don't tell me the Prius is nicer than a Corolla or you're really brainwashed)

Base Model Prius
    $23,050

Base Model Corolla
    $15,600

Difference: $7450

Prius expected lifespan: 100,000 Miles
    (Battery replacement is expected to be 100,000 miles and cost more than the car will be worth at that point)

Corolla Expected Lifespan: 200,000 Miles
    (Lets be honest I've seen many Corollas with over 300,000 miles I'm just doing 200,000 miles to be nice)

Prius Combined MPG 45
    Corolla Combined MPG 30

Assuming $4.00 per gallon fuel, you have to drive the Prius 55,185 miles to just break even with the cost of the Corolla.
    (We'll leave out maintenance costs even though the Prius would be much higher it's hard to find that data)

Purchase Price + Fuel only for the life of a Prius $31,950
    Purshase Price + Fuel only for the life of a Corolla $42,600

Sounds good until you consider the Corolla is going 200,000 miles vs 100,000 miles on the Prius.

Cost Per mile in a lifetime

Prius: $0.3195
    Corolla: $0.213

Yep you're losing $1 ever 10 miles you drive because you bought the trendy one. Glad your wife talked you into it now?
    Wait a minute, earlier you wrote "ever read the article about how Prius do more environmental damage then hummers mile for mile?"

Now, you say "With no regard to the environment, here's the low down on why you were stupid to buy a Prius. Yes Stupid."

Where is the article showing that the Prius does more damage to the enviroment than a Hummer? And how can you start off this post with "With no regard to the environment." Without any claims to know this for a fact, my assumption is that a large percentage of those who buy Prisus do so for environmental reasons, not money saving reasons.

That said, I'm bored, so I'll comment on this post:

We (well, she, it's her car) bought the car to make a statement, not because we were conned into thinking we'd be saving money. While in the long run, we're more than likely going to spend more per mile. But we're also telling car companies that they need to look at alternative options. I'm not sure what's "stupid" about that.

(BTW, what's the difference at $5 a gallon?)

Shovel Ready

mtbr member
    Google "National Center for Policy Analysis." AT first glance, article 2 is using a lot of what is stated in the first article, and I'd venture to say many othese these other articles out there do the same.

Like I said, I'm sure they have an agenda.

P.S. Both those articles are 4 years old.

(I never understood why some are just so damn reluctant to admit that there is a positive to alternative fuel vehicles.)

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Well I wasn't the one who posted about the Hummer article at all. I mentioned it was from '07 just to state that it's old and I have no interest in it.

You bought a Prius to make a "Statement" you are definitely the target audience!
    Do you ride a neon green and pink fixie with no brakes around town in your skinny jeans with a messenger bag too?

It's VERY common knowledge that keeping a car on the road is more environmentally friendly than producing a new one. That's why they put the ax to cash for clunkers so fast as the economic benefits didn't outweigh the environmental detriment.

So how is producing a car every 100,000 miles (Not to mention the Prius battery is Nickel one of the most toxic metals to mine and refine) better than producing a cheaper car every 200,000 miles?

Next time you decide to make a statement pull your head out first.

Shovel Ready
    Google "National Center for Policy Analysis." AT first glance, article 2 is using a lot of what is stated in the first article, and I'd venture to say many othese these other articles out there do the same.

Like I said, I'm sure they have an agenda.

P.S. Both those articles are 4 years old.

(I never understood why some are just so damn reluctant to admit that there is a positive to alternative fuel vehicles.)
    I have nothing against them at all. Just think they get more hype than they deserve. Just between us, what will happen to the battery packs when they die. How much to neutralize the acid?

Personally I think they can make better cars in general, gas, hybrid & electric.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    VW Polo TDi
    Polo's have been in production since 1975 and are still saving the environment and $$$.
    I guess I should give up the tried and true methods of saving tons of money and fuel for the future of alternative vehicle technology.

70-90 MPG City/Hwy

vs you...the SMUG producer.

mtbr member
    Next time you decide to make a statement pull your head out first.
    Why should I start now?

I LOVE your comment about the fixie and messenger bag. Pretty obvious you're set in your ways.

Fine, keep being a follower. I guess we can all sit back and let technology stall.

Where did you get your facts that Prius expected lifetime is 100,000 miles?

mtbr member
    VW Polo TDi
    Polo's have been in production since 1975 and are still saving the environment and $$$.
    I guess I should give up the tried and true methods of saving tons of money and fuel for the future of alternative vehicle technology.

70-90 MPG City/Hwy

vs you...the SMUG producer.

Let me guess, you got dumped by somebody who drove a Prius. Curious, what was his name?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Let me guess, you got dumped by somebody who drove a Prius. Curious, what was his name?
    Enjoy your smug. If you're smart enough a tiny bit of what you read will sink in. If not then you'll get tired of your car when it's back at Toyota every 3 weeks for yet ANOTHER warranty claim or recall.

Unsubscribed.

mtbr member
    Enjoy your smug. If you're smart enough a tiny bit of what you read will sink in. If not then you'll get tired of your car when it's back at Toyota every 3 weeks for yet ANOTHER warranty claim or recall.

Unsubscribed.
    Not going to share with me where you got the facts that an average lifetime of a Prius is 100,000 miles?

I LOVE how somebody can make such general assumptions about somebody based on a car purchase. I've wish I could go through life so narrowminded.

mtbr member
    I have nothing against them at all. Just think they get more hype than they deserve. Just between us, what will happen to the battery packs when they die. How much to neutralize the acid?

Personally I think they can make better cars in general, gas, hybrid & electric.
    I think what PB Breath (and others) fail to realize if that there is no demand, the car companies likely won't put any R&D money into it. I'm not under any grand illusions that by driving a Prius, we're saving the world. But it's telling the Toyotas, and Hondas, and VWs, etc. that we need to start looking at alternatives.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Those claims about the prius being "worse" than a hummer or needing the entire battery replaced are bunk and have been disproven. Check snopes or theres even a good thread about it in "car and bike". The people knocking it are angry and mean with nothing better to do than put you down.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    May 2007
    http://wi-dsm.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2928

The .05 percent

Smile

yea, grow a set and buy a truck
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

I am the Tin Man!
    In for the train wreck.

I drive an old 12 valve dodge diesel, get 18 mpg empty, 16 pulling a trailer. It is the ugliest, hardest working truck around and it has 325k miles. It is almost maintenance free, change the oil every 5k and thats it.
    Flyin the TallBoy and the Lynskey...Clyde style.

SOMEBODY I LOVE NEEDS A HEART!

I AM AN ORGAN DONOR, ARE YOU?

Shovel Ready
    I think what PB Breath (and others) fail to realize if that there is no demand, the car companies likely won't put any R&D money into it. I'm not under any grand illusions that by driving a Prius, we're saving the world. But it's telling the Toyotas, and Hondas, and VWs, etc. that we need to start looking at alternatives.
    That did not answer my question. Safer in theory & marketing or safer in real life. 2 completely different set of guidelines. Again not debating your vehicle choice. I just think if the choice was for a safer, efficient and green car. Than the choice was more emotional than factual. Just an opinion so don't get the feathers ruffled.

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj
    yea, grow a set and buy a truck

you owe me a keyboard I just spewed mello yellow out my nose

On a side note I for the most part hate those lil cars or is it the driver. I don't care but when your going 55 or the same speed as the slow lane in the carpool lane by yourself when traffic is backing up behind you get the hell over or give it some gas if that lil can hasn't already hit top speed for max run time
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Why would I want to waste my time considering an alternative?

My hand has worked just fine since I was 13. It's nearly maintenance free. Get's me from point A to point B. I just replace the lube every week or so. It's safe and comfortable. And cheap. Girls are stupid. And have cooties. I heard an opinion about it once. On the internet.

dirt visionary
    best entertainment I have had all day!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    On a side note I for the most part hate those lil cars or is it the driver. I don't care but when your going 55 or the same speed as the slow lane in the carpool lane by yourself when traffic is backing up behind you get the hell over or give it some gas if that lil can hasn't already hit top speed for max run time
    At least they stopped handing out the "cloud" alternative fuel license plates that allow you to drive in the HOV lane, you can only get one if someone gives it to you. But I agree with Clockwork, I will make the generalization that 80% of Prius drivers are bad. There are are the exceptions though, 20% drive like a bat out of hell in those things, so I know the vehicle is capable.

mtbr member
    I read the link.Did anyone else read the link?Huh?Huh?
    Like most "green"nonsense ,most people do it because it makes a statement about themselves.And like most people that like making statements about themselves,don't really care if they're being duped or at best don't want to know,...because that would also make a statement."You've been manipulated"

For the record,I have a 2001 raised"my penis is really small"Ford f250 diesel that get 12.7 mpg to it that I put $3500 and 70+hrs into to make run on waste vegetable oil.The exhaust is almost cleaner than the air we breathe.My statement is that cleaned Vege oil cost me $2.25 per gallon right now.And I have another 200,000+ miles to go on this motor.

just think, you could have an actually useful vehicle,add no,none decernable exhaust to the enviroment,save a lot of money,aaand probably end up smart enough not to suckered into voting for Obama a second time.
    codafurnituredesign.com

mtbr member
    I thought about doing something like this with my 08 Mazda 3. I ended up buying a Toyota Tacoma instead.

mtbr member
    That did not answer my question. Safer in theory & marketing or safer in real life. 2 completely different set of guidelines. Again not debating your vehicle choice. I just think if the choice was for a safer, efficient and green car. Than the choice was more emotional than factual. Just an opinion so don't get the feathers ruffled.
    What question? Is the car perfect? No. Is it a step in the right direction? I hope so. Did she want to wait until it is perfect? Obviously no.

Look, I used all the arguments you and others made. I didn't want her to get in originally. It's actually more expensive to drive, her car is paid off, other less expensive, fuel efficiet cars out there. But it basically boiled down to she had her heart set on making a statement.

I don't think i need to defend why she got it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scary
    Like most "green"nonsense ,most people do it because it makes a statement about themselves.And like most people that like making statements about themselves,don't really care if they're being duped or at best don't want to know,...because that would also make a statement."You've been manipulated"

For the record,I have a 2001 raised"my penis is really small"Ford f250 diesel that get 12.7 mpg to it that I put $3500 and 70+hrs into to make run on waste vegetable oil.The exhaust is almost cleaner than the air we breathe.My statement is that cleaned Vege oil cost me $2.25 per gallon right now.And I have another 200,000+ miles to go on this motor.

just think, you could have an actually useful vehicle,add no,none decernable exhaust to the enviroment,save a lot of money,aaand probably end up smart enough not to suckered into voting for Obama a second time.
    I have no idea what you just wrote.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyplumber
    In for the train wreck.

I drive an old 12 valve dodge diesel, get 18 mpg empty, 16 pulling a trailer. It is the ugliest, hardest working truck around and it has 325k miles. It is almost maintenance free, change the oil every 5k and thats it.
    She wanted a new car and buying a diesel with 300k really wasn't an option. Sorry to disappoint.

Shovel Ready
    What question?
    Little research answered it for me.

I don't think i need to defend why she got it.
    Certainly never suggested you needed to defend your purchase.

mtbr member
    Little research answered it for me.

Certainly never suggested you needed to defend your purchase.
    Still don't know what question. About TH battery? I have on idea.

mtbr member

Go with the hitch and receiver rack

Skinny,

Unlike most of the posters on this thread, I actually own a Prius and hopefully can provide some good advice. I've had a Curt hitch on the Prius for the past three years. My bikes ride in the XPORT flatbed rack from Performance. Except for the crappy hardware on the rack (which I replaced with stainless/brass hardware from Lowes), the combination has done me well. I've made many trips to Flag and Sedona and daily up and down the 101 without any issues. With bikes on the back, my mileage drops from 48 to 43mpg.

To everyone else -- what do you care what someone else drives or why he chooses to drive it? I couldn't give a care whether you choose to drive a Hummer, Smart car or a fixie. I may have had many reasons to choose my car, including gas savings or cleaner air. (Truth be told, my decision was mainly driven by the fact that I save an hour a day on my commute by being able to use the HOV lane). My Prius batteries are still going strong long after 100,000 miles. But again, why do you care so much?

Peace and Love.

mtbr member
    I have no idea what you just wrote.
    Huh.Really.
    I used paragraphs an everything.
    codafurnituredesign.com

My other ride is your mom
    Trunk racks do suck.
    Hey buddy....I'm worried about you.....do you ever ride? Do you need some inspiration to go ride a bike? Do you need someone to encourage you to ride? Do you even ride?

Seriously....?????

Eroding into the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    best entertainment I have had all day!
    +1

mtbr member
    Huh.Really.
    I used paragraphs an everything.
    Yes, really.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by klharman
    Skinny,

Unlike most of the posters on this thread, I actually own a Prius and hopefully can provide some good advice. I've had a Curt hitch on the Prius for the past three years. My bikes ride in the XPORT flatbed rack from Performance. Except for the crappy hardware on the rack (which I replaced with stainless/brass hardware from Lowes), the combination has done me well. I've made many trips to Flag and Sedona and daily up and down the 101 without any issues. With bikes on the back, my mileage drops from 48 to 43mpg.

To everyone else -- what do you care what someone else drives or why he chooses to drive it? I couldn't give a care whether you choose to drive a Hummer, Smart car or a fixie. I may have had many reasons to choose my car, including gas savings or cleaner air. (Truth be told, my decision was mainly driven by the fact that I save an hour a day on my commute by being able to use the HOV lane). My Prius batteries are still going strong long after 100,000 miles. But again, why do you care so much?

Peace and Love.
    Thanks, I'll look at that. I have a Xport on my Mazda, and like it for the most part.

Regarding the other comments, I'm not taking very seriously. We needed a new car, and we decided on a Prius. Simple as that.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm putting my 9 second turbo build on hold, with plans to build a bio-diesel

******ed or Branded??
    Just for the record, I was just pointing and laughing since it was ST the OP. I really don't care what kind of car he drives.

mtbr member
    Just for the record, I was just pointing and laughing since it was ST the OP. I really don't care what kind of car he drives.
    No **** Sherlock. I didnt' really think you were serious.

******ed or Branded??
    No **** Sherlock. I didnt' really think you were serious.
    well that's good, I like how you divert the subject over to your so called "wife" choosing the car in question. Now the, I am such a granola I want to save the earth with a "car" theory is funny as shet. Why don't you just plant some trees once every few weeks so you can build a bugy and use a horse as a alternative to fuel!

mtbr member
    well that's good, I like how you divert the subject over to your so called "wife" choosing the car in question. Now the, I am such a granola I want to save the earth with a "car" theory is funny as shet. Why don't you just plant some trees once every few weeks so you can build a bugy and use a horse as a alternative to fuel!
    Are you serious!!!! (sound familiar?)
    Whoever said "I want to save the earth with a car." (In fact, I said said I was under any grand illustions it's going to make a difference.) Dude, you're just like PB, kind of narrowminded, and lots of assumptions. Makes you look kinda silly, IMO

And clueless to boot: even if I planted a friggin orchid ever day, no way they would mature before I'm dead (or our mode of transportation is by being "beamed up") to build a horse and buggy.

Curious, you seem to like to go our of your way to make me feel bad. Is it just me, or do you do this to everybody? (To be honest, I have not really paid attention to you.) Do you feel superior afterwards?

P.S. It's her car, so ultimately it was her decision, so not sure what you mean by "divert the subject over to" (whatever the hell that means).

The .05 percent

you are still my hero
    Make Flagstaff RAD Again.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sinatorj
    you are still my hero
    I will second that.

TD

banned
    Sep 2007

VW is looking alright, and has been. $200 a barrel oil will make most of the USA reevaluate our wasteful use of fuel pushing around 3000 pound vehicles to propel a 150 pound human being around.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/volkswag...hicle-in-qatar

banned
    Sep 2007

How do you pay your road tax and sales tax on your fuel? What form do you fill out for the IRS to be in compliance?

mtbr member
    Picked ours up last week. Ordered the hitch the next day from etrailers.com the next day. Should get it Monday or Tuesday. These diesel guys forget to mention the price of replacing that turbo when comparing the price of ownership. The batteries have not proven to be a weak spot yet.
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

banned
    Sep 2007
    Compact vs Hybrid and the payback period.

http://financiallyfit.yahoo.com/fina...-cars-25051218

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Rich
    Picked ours up last week. Ordered the hitch the next day from etrailers.com the next day. Should get it Monday or Tuesday. These diesel guys forget to mention the price of replacing that turbo when comparing the price of ownership. The batteries have not proven to be a weak spot yet.

I've replaced turbo's for the younger set that want to modify, chip and trick out everything with more torque and more Horsepower. I've never changed out a turbo that failed. That includes a 1996 Passat TDI with 246k miles on it with the original turbo and a 1998 Jetta TDI that I sold with 213k miles on it because I found a good deal on a low mileage 2002 Jetta TDI. A stock turbo is around $5 to $700 for the part. You can go to a recycler and get a used one for much less, or shop for one on line.
    There is no secret to long turbocharger life. Use the right oil for the motor, full synthetic, in a 5w-40 grade with a API rating of CJ-4, something along the lines of Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck or European Formula, and change the oil every 10k usually helps a turbo last a long, long time. That and not driving the car like you stole it, or like you are racing it.

Log lots of highway /freeway open road miles, like AZ has, and it should outlive the motor's bore, pistons and rings to 300,000 miles or more.

One other thing... RTFM for all the fluid specifications and time /mileage intervals for maintenance, and adhere to them. That includes being realistic if you use your vehicle for severe duty applications and increasing the service frequency for oil changes, if you sit around idling in traffic for most of your commute.

When you start using a sedan with a tow limit of 1000 pounds for towing a 3000 lb trailer, put bigger turbocharger in to flow more air, add more fuel, run the motor harder and hotter, under more boost, continuously, then you are exceeding the design limitations of a tiny little 1.9 or 2 liter tdi motor. Get a truck with a heavy duty diesel motor to do the job, not a light duty diesel motor in a sedan.

That said, a TDI tows waaaaaaaaaaay better than a Prius. Torque is a nice feature to have off of 900 rpms at idle, instead of at 7000 rpm.
    Last edited by Boyonabyke; 05-01-2011 at 08:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

I put $3500 and 70+hrs into to make run on waste vegetable oil.The exhaust is almost cleaner than the air we breathe.My statement is that cleaned Vege oil cost me $2.25 per gallon right now.

just think, you could have an actually useful vehicle,add no,none decernable exhaust to the enviroment,save a lot of money
    Listen, combustion is combustion. Cleaner than the air we breather? Can you explain that? I don't know about you, but I don't want to beathe air that is mostly CO2 and water vapor (not to mention other NOx's since we're not combusting it in pure O2. Oh and CO, since it's hard to get perfect combustion).....my lungs just won't allow it. Just because you burn something that comes from corn, doesn't mean it's not a pollutant. Are you the type of person who believes "all natural" = good? Yeah, arsenic is all natural, too.........but I don't it in my breakfast cereal.

However, where using Biodisel is helpful is that you are using something, corn oil, that is renewable. However, don't confuse renewable with cleaner exhaugst......

Unless you have another theory you'd like to explain about it. I'm all ears.

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem
    Listen, combustion is combustion. Cleaner than the air we breather? Can you explain that? I don't know about you, but I don't want to beathe air that is mostly CO2 and water vapor (not to mention other NOx's since we're not combusting it in pure O2. Oh and CO, since it's hard to get perfect combustion).....my lungs just won't allow it. Just because you burn something that comes from corn, doesn't mean it's not a pollutant. Are you the type of person who believes "all natural" = good? Yeah, arsenic is all natural, too.........but I don't it in my breakfast cereal.

However, where using Biodisel is helpful is that you are using something, corn oil, that is renewable. However, don't confuse renewable with cleaner exhaugst......

Unless you have another theory you'd like to explain about it. I'm all ears.
    I assume you have some Organic Chemistry backround and education. Take a look and find out what the by products of Glycerols and tri glycerols are in a diesel engine at normal operating conditions, and how carcinogenic they are. The results ain't pretty when you burn vegetable oil without the glycerol backbones broken off and removed. Biodiesel is also known to increase output of NO2 in the exhaust.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    I assume you have some Organic Chemistry backround and education. Take a look and find out what the by products of Glycerols and tri glycerols are in a diesel engine at normal operating conditions, and how carcinogenic they are. The results ain't pretty when you burn vegetable oil without the glycerol backbones broken off and removed. Biodiesel is also known to increase output of NO2 in the exhaust.
    Any recommendations on a bike rack for a car that runs on biodiesel?

banned
    Sep 2007
    Any recommendations on a bike rack for a car that runs on biodiesel?
    What did you buy that you are running on biodiesel?

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc
    I will second that.

TD
    Ha! Enjoy ignorance!

Shovel Ready

Need more cowbell

DAMMIT.....beat me to it. I saw this article and was ready to link.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath
    DAMMIT.....beat me to it. I saw this article and was ready to link.
    Are you talking about this guy?

If you Bozos are taking life lessons from The Rock, I feel sorry for the youth of America. By the way, wrestling is fake, and the original Return From Witch Mountain blows the remake away.

Shovel Ready
    Are you talking about this guy?

If you Bozos are taking life lessons from The Rock, I feel sorry for the youth of America. By the way, wrestling is fake, and the original Return From Witch Mountain blows the remake away.
    Everyone knows true life lessons are only learned through postings on MTBR or The Bill Maher show.

mtbr member
    Everyone knows true life lessons are only learned through postings on MTBR or The Bill Maher show.
    I don't have cable, so I had to Google "Bill Maher." Do you mean this guy?

Shovel Ready
    I don't have cable, so I had to Google "Bill Maher." Do you mean this guy?
    Could be this guy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    He's flipping off PRIUS owners...cause deep down, he knows they suck!!!!

bland
    Quote Originally Posted by Pootie Tang
    need a 82 on 24's nigga!!!Q!
    Baby, I'm going to sine your pitty on the runny kine!

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by Pootie Tang
    24's
    Even the air freshener is not green.

mtbr member
    LOL!! no wonder ABCNorte drives one!! It can usually be seen backed into a spot, with the visors down, at Dreamy Draw park.
    Last edited by Swamp ThAAng; 05-06-2011 at 01:15 PM.
    Bullsh*t is the glue that binds our nation.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    But that was the point of my post: just because it's biodiesel, it DOESN'T make it cleaner. The other guy was expousing how clean it was....I disagreed. So I think we're in agreement?

Like I said, the only plus was the fact that it was renewable......and I like the smell of fries....

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    think about how much US fuel consumption could be reduced across the board if they taught manual transmission to kids in driver's ed,, at least 5%,, possibly as much as 10%...
    but no,, that would interfere with their fecking texting...

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike
    think about how much US fuel consumption could be reduced across the board if they taught manual transmission to kids in driver's ed,, at least 5%,, possibly as much as 10%...
    but no,, that would interfere with their fecking texting...
    And if the auto industry had not kept developing auto transmissions with 5, 6 and even more gears, that may be true. There is no advantage as far as efficiency with manual cs auto on a modern car.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Curt Mfg. Class 1 hitch:
    P/N 11469 for 10-11
    P/N 11468 for 04-09

This is what I use. installed it myself in the driveway. didn't need to jack the car up at all. runs around $130 online. use any 1.25" hitch mount bike rack you want

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    Bored at work...
    Here's my car and rack... 1UpUSA... and my Chumba 29er
    I got one extra track so I can also carry my fs 29er, or my 26er, or my 'bent, road bike or SS.
    Carried a couple of bmx bikes once (one wedged between the other bmx and my 26er with a blanket to pad between).

btw... I own a Prius because I just like the car.
    It's roomy, QUIET (compared to my 92 Dakota 4x4, and any other car I've ever known), gets pretty good gas mileage, has a good enough stereo,
    moves fast enough to pass a good number of cars going up a long, local hill,
    EASY to change the oil (easiest vehicle I've ever owned for oil/filter changing),
    roomy as hell for hauling stuff in the back with the rear seat down (for a car this size),
    smooth driving at 70+ mph (fits my ADHD brain pretty well... the faster I drive... the more focused I am ),
    comfortable sleeping overnight in the driver's seat, passenger seat, or in the back splayed out with the rear seats folded down,
    has working AC and Heat! (I drove full-size pickups in West Texas throughout my 20's... 1 Dodge 1/2 ton, 3 Ford 3/4 tons{all pre-1980's with 400's under the hoods} none of them had AC),
    has a useful backup camera,
    Eh... that's all for tonight

If I wanted to save the environment I DEFINITELY WOULD NOT own or drive a motor vehicle no matter how it made it's way down the environmentally unfriendly paved roads!
    I'm a CONSUMER! Just like everyone I know and have ever met!

But I have to say... this has been an entertaining thread to read...

Oh... and just to add my own bit of smugness (since I'm not really so smug about the whole "owning a Prius" thing.. which the name btw, has always reminded me of Priapism )...
    Back "in the day", I used to ride a Harley Davidson (not a Harley Yuppie Davidson), so I was so much more Green back then huh?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Any Prius owners?-good-morning-ash-fork.jpg  

mtbr member
    Wow... I'm a little behind the loop. Came her looking for info on a rack for my hatchback... Didn't realize the hive I was stepping into.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wsmac View Post
    If I wanted to save the environment I DEFINITELY WOULD NOT own or drive a motor vehicle no matter how it made it's way down the environmentally unfriendly paved roads!
    How do you figure?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    What a great thread.

So, in summary-

1. Only 1/20th of the people responded to the questions. Everyone else just made judgements

2. You can determine a lot about someone by their car choice. I.E. sexuality, political affiliation, the kind of bike they must ride, what size their manhood is, whether they are smart or stupid, etc...

3. Most people are illiterate. Even is Prius = Gay... HE DOESN"T OWN IT! It's his significant others (who is a woman) car.

So, CO (or ST )- If you haven't made a purchase yet in the 6 months this thread has been around, I love my Yakima Holdup Hitch Rack. Bought the hitch from ebay for $110. Super easy to install and use.

Need more cowbell
    Skinny Observer,

I told you to talk her into a mini cooper.
    Last edited by WhiskersOfDeath; 10-10-2011 at 02:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Bored at work...
    Here's my car and rack... 1UpUSA... and my Chumba 29er
    I got one extra track so I can also carry my fs 29er, or my 26er, or my 'bent, road bike or SS.
    Carried a couple of bmx bikes once (one wedged between the other bmx and my 26er with a blanket to pad between).

btw... I own a Prius because I just like the car.
    It's roomy, QUIET (compared to my 92 Dakota 4x4, and any other car I've ever known), gets pretty good gas mileage, has a good enough stereo,
    moves fast enough to pass a good number of cars going up a long, local hill,
    EASY to change the oil (easiest vehicle I've ever owned for oil/filter changing),
    roomy as hell for hauling stuff in the back with the rear seat down (for a car this size),
    smooth driving at 70+ mph (fits my ADHD brain pretty well... the faster I drive... the more focused I am ),
    comfortable sleeping overnight in the driver's seat, passenger seat, or in the back splayed out with the rear seats folded down,
    has working AC and Heat! (I drove full-size pickups in West Texas throughout my 20's... 1 Dodge 1/2 ton, 3 Ford 3/4 tons{all pre-1980's with 400's under the hoods} none of them had AC),
    has a useful backup camera,
    Eh... that's all for tonight

I'm a CONSUMER! Just like everyone I know and have ever met!

But I have to say... this has been an entertaining thread to read...

Oh... and just to add my own bit of smugness (since I'm not really so smug about the whole "owning a Prius" thing.. which the name btw, has always reminded me of Priapism )...
    Back "in the day", I used to ride a Harley Davidson (not a Harley Yuppie Davidson), so I was so much more Green back then huh?
    Words you've never heard together until now....."Prius -- Roomy as hell...."

Does it come with it's own box of tampons, or is that extra? That's a joke.....

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post

actually, the Prius is pretty big, for that class of car. Add a hitch and a rack or hitch-hauler and we've taken long family weekends with bikes and gear in it.

FWIW, I hate mine. Had it for almost 4 yrs, bought it for using the carpool lane and I do like it in that regard. Mileage averages in the high 30s. but i fookin hate it. We wanted to do our part to support hybrid technology and live green etc., but next time I'm looking for another choice. I would not buy a Prius again unless they seriously redesigned it - make it more stock and less custom parts, and get rid of all the hippy BS features and just give me a normal car. Other than the engine etc., its basically a Corolla that costs 2x as much and has all manner of obnoxious japanese eye candy on the inside. Stuff is always going wrong with it and since its all customized and computerized, you cant fix it except with help from Toyota. Last week the car would not shut off - seriously, i could not turn it off! I had to drive it over to the dealer where they rebooted my car. WTF?

it did not come with tampons, but with all the money i save on fill-ups I got extra cash for hookers and blow.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball View Post
    ...with all the money i save on fill-ups I got extra cash for hookers and blow.
    That would be a great ad.

mtbr member
    Is anyone else creeped out by the new Pruis commercial? You know, the one with the person made up of lots of other people?
    It haunts me in my dreams.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dubshooter View Post
    Wow... I'm a little behind the loop. Came her looking for info on a rack for my hatchback... Didn't realize the hive I was stepping into.
    hahaha

mtbr member
    How do you figure?
    Well... with my simple mind and logic ... I would eschew anything that I saw as having a larger impact than my living a primitive lifestyle (I studied primitive living and teach wilderness survival).

Not too specific, but I'm not really interested in debates of this nature here... I just wanna have fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhxChem View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wsmac
    Perhaps I'm not doing it all correctly, but then... I do drive this thing like I drive my truck and sometimes like an Italian sports car! Vrooom Vroooooom!
    It's actually still in pretty decent shape for an '08 with over 81911miles

Don't know... I keep finding all sorts of places they could stash things like that.
    If I find 'em... I'll keep 'em handy though... I swear some dog got into the car and poo'd... smelled like that for days! I coulda used some swell (get it? hahaha) nose plugs
    I certainly NEVER ride my bike over doggy poo piles, let alone step in them with my biking shoes!

eta: WOW! I put a reply inside a reply inside a comment... or something like that

mtbr member
    Just to finish my answer to your question...
    With the hitch, 2-track rack, and 2 bikes... the rear-end comes down a bit more such that I have to do the Cholo-Slow-Step off certain grades when exiting driveways or parking lots or else the hitch grinds a little on the pavement. If I add more people and/or loads of gear... it's like those drivers who get a yard of gravel dumped into the back of their little Chevy Luv pickup... sorta point the headlights to the sky kinda thing

It's not super bad... just noticeable to me while driving.

Eroding into the trail
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath View Post
    That would be a great ad.
    +1!

Eroding into the trail
    Just to finish my answer to your question...
    With the hitch, 2-track rack, and 2 bikes... the rear-end comes down a bit more such that I have to do the Cholo-Slow-Step off certain grades when exiting driveways or parking lots or else the hitch grinds a little on the pavement. If I add more people and/or loads of gear... it's like those drivers who get a yard of gravel dumped into the back of their little Chevy Luv pickup... sorta point the headlights to the sky kinda thing

It's not super bad... just noticeable to me while driving.
    The hitch itself or the bike rack portion that fits into the hitch?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DustyBones View Post
    The hitch itself or the bike rack portion that fits into the hitch?
    Most times it happens, it's the hitch itself. I have scraped the actual bottom of the rack itself, but that was on a really weird sloping cement drive.

I drive this car on dirt roads at speeds I probably shouldn't, but I kinda get excited the closer to the trail I get and with my music krank'd I forget I'm in a car... a low-slung car...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Scary View Post

3500 hundred for the conversion?

I didn't include your time because judging from your posts I doubt that is worth anything. Personally I would have bought a VW TDI if I wanted a vehicle that gets good mileage, or even better a Nissan Leaf, but from what I have heard the Prius is an alright car. Better than an on old Ford that smells like french fries when you drive it, that's for sure.
    "What kind of bike? I don't know, I'm not a bike scientist."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1