mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Any place in the PHX-metro area that has a decent selection of gear?

At decent prices? I was thinking about picking up some of these to protect me from cacti and, yes, snakes.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3206195...=263602_325002

Shred...it's the new drug
    If you're looking for protection from cactus you must go to the store that's bears it's name...Cactus Bikes. All types of protection there!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by B-town
    At decent prices? I was thinking about picking up some of these to protect me from cacti and, yes, snakes.

Riding bikes in the desert is dangerous, and therefore irresponsible.

(That said, pretty much any bike shop that sells reputable mountain bikes will have some sort of protection. But sure to also pick up a snake bite kit at REI.)
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I did some research on that. Apparently studies have shown that they do more harm than good. If you get bit you're pretty much screwed. The rate of limb loss or serious debilitating tissue injury is pretty high.

https://i3.squidoocdn.com/resize/squ...e_Polaroid.jpg NSFL

Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Riding bikes in the desert is dangerous, and therefore irresponsible.

(That said, pretty much any bike shop that sells reputable mountain bikes will have some sort of protection. But sure to also pick up a snake bite kit at REI.)

Eroding into the trail
    e-bay is always a good place to p/u protective gear, also check motorcyclesuperstore, motosport, btosports, locox, competition accessories, etc.
    Lots of places to buy, just depends on amt of $$ you have to spend.
    The big issue is sizing; not all mfgrs have an intelligent sizing system (most run small).

"No Clue Crew"
    If you get bit you're pretty much screwed. The rate of limb loss or serious debilitating tissue injury is pretty high.
    BS. If you don't know what you are talking about, please don't try to sound like you do. I know a lot of people who have been bitten and NONE have limb loss or any type of lasting damage. If you are that worried about snakes, wtf are you doing in the state that has more rattlesnakes than anywhere else in the world?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm not going to stop riding over it. If I've exaggerated the danger it has been from research I've done online. Sorry I'm not a snake expert. I think it is rad that you like to play with snakes though. You must be very brave. I mean that most sincerely.

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39
    BS. If you don't know what you are talking about, please don't try to sound like you do. I know a lot of people who have been bitten and NONE have limb loss or any type of lasting damage. If you are that worried about snakes, wtf are you doing in the state that has more rattlesnakes than anywhere else in the world?

mtbr member
    If I've exaggerated the danger it has been from research I've done online.
    HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please share with us the websites that show rattlers will maliciously attack a family of hikers. I'm guessing you searched for websites that supported your feelings, yes?

Sorry I'm not a snake expert..
    Thank you Mr. Obvious.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Look, I'm not going to wade through all of the **** online to find the page I was looking at yesterday to make a point. I found a study on pub-med today, done in Arizona, that revealed that rattlesnake bites don't normally lead to the type of tissue damage as shown in the picture I posted.

Treatment is still disgustingly expensive. If you want the cite, go to pubmed, I'm not going to re-find it, but the average treatment is 27 vials of crofab. I found those online for $1,400 a pop.

The bottom line is I'm reasonably concerned about a threat I've never had to consider before, being new in town. I guess that gave a lot of online heroes a chance to do some online macho posturing. Pat yourselves on the back..

As for you, I noticed yesterday you ventured to call me an idiot. Congratulations for name calling strangers on the internet. Your signature says a lot about you.

Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    HILARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please share with us the websites that show rattlers will maliciously attack a family of hikers. I'm guessing you searched for websites that supported your feelings, yes?

Thank you Mr. Obvious.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

just so you know chainlove dot com has them for 24.99 from time too time and dept of good dot com has them for 44.95 new

I can attest to these 661 shin's comfortable and stay in place,but I also have BIG calves please keep that in mind,...

Six Six One MXE Knee/Shin Guard

these fox pads look promising.....

Fox System Leg Armor

mtbr member
    Unfortunately, I have noticed that there is a lot of hostility in the Az forum in the few months I have been on.
    Last edited by AzKennedy; 04-30-2011 at 09:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    None, go online retail! Much cheaper anyway!

mtbr member
    Look, I'm not going to wade through all of the **** online to find the page I was looking at yesterday to make a point. I found a study on pub-med today, done in Arizona, that revealed that rattlesnake bites don't normally lead to the type of tissue damage as shown in the picture I posted.

Treatment is still disgustingly expensive. If you want the cite, go to pubmed, I'm not going to re-find it, but the average treatment is 27 vials of crofab. I found those online for $1,400 a pop.

The bottom line is I'm reasonably concerned about a threat I've never had to consider before, being new in town. I guess that gave a lot of online heroes a chance to do some online macho posturing. Pat yourselves on the back..

As for you, I noticed yesterday you ventured to call me an idiot. Congratulations for name calling strangers on the internet. Your signature says a lot about you.
    The reason folks jumped on you is because asked if it was okay to kill snakes, many said no,and then you proceeded to justify it.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Quote Originally Posted by AzKennedy
    Unfortunately, I have noticed that there is a lot of hostility in the Az forum in the few months I have been on.
    As the temperatures rise so does the hostility of posts on here...I just sit back and enjoy mostly!!!

I think I need to Upgrade

Do you know what size gear you need?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    As the temperatures rise so does the hostility of posts on here...I just sit back and enjoy mostly!!!
    Good advice. I will do the same

Members who have read this thread: 0