dirt visionary

any locals like swampthing tires

Curious if anyone likes these for sunrise/flag/wet terrain. Thinking of picking up some 42a's for my rain riding this year.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

Shred...it's the new drug
    ask swampthaang about them abcnorte loves them on his trail bike...

dirt visionary
    Looking for experience in wet terrain. I have seen where some like them for dry hardpack but I am all about minions and highrollers for most of our riding.

Some of my best dh was last season in the pouring rain running trails at sunrise and in globe running icehouse and frieght.Although would like some more grip on the wet rocks/roots/organic slop.

dirt visionary
    50 views and no real expierence. Guess I will get a set mount them to my spare wheelset and see what they do. I can grab a pair of new 2.5's for extra cheap so I would be out much if they don't work

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I borrowed a set last year when I rode in Flag from a buddy up there. It had rained maybe a week before so the trail was mostly tacky not so muddy and they were grippy, almost to grippy. I felt like they provided excellent traction but felt slow on straight sections. The knobs are pretty big and really slowed me down. I rode them for two days up and down the trails by shultz pass. So my experience is limited but would definitely consider a set if I got a good deal on them

dirt visionary
    I did hear they were slower and the 42a which I am after is even slower but if I am riding the steeps then thats non issue. I can get them for 25each so I think I will pick up a pair.

mtbr member
    The nobs are small, and too spaced apart, for the 3 tires I "thought" I was buying (I am however used to Kenda Excavators) They're really too narrow, for a DH bike. My guess is is that if you buy and mount them, first you'll be somewhat perplexed as to how Maxxis can call 'em 2.5's, and then your friend will laugh at you, and then a roadie will ride by and yell out "SKINNY TIRES, SKINNY TIRES!!!". However, it'll be good for months of good laughs!
    Bullsh*t is the glue that binds our nation.

mtbr member
    Get the Ardents.

mtbr member
    ...or Minions for the same or cheaper price.

mtbr member
    Chainlove keeps putting up some schwalbe wet tires for about $33 each. I have no experience with the brand though
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

dirt visionary
    Okay guys your going in the wrong dirrection.......I am looking for wet/rock/root experience with these tires. I have a closet full of minion's and highrollers along with many other tires. I am set on minions front and rear, or minion highroller or minion front on both .... I am not looking for a new tire but only looking for a better wet weather slop tire . I have a pair on the way so I will report after I get some rainy dh in.

dirt visionary
    Quote Originally Posted by Swamp ThAAng
    The nobs are small, and too spaced apart, for the 3 tires I "thought" I was buying (I am however used to Kenda Excavators) They're really too narrow, for a DH bike. My guess is is that if you buy and mount them, first you'll be somewhat perplexed as to how Maxxis can call 'em 2.5's, and then your friend will laugh at you, and then a roadie will ride by and yell out "SKINNY TIRES, SKINNY TIRES!!!". However, it'll be good for months of good laughs!

rim combo also has an effect on tires . Take example a minion 2.5 on a 729 is 3/8" wider and 1/4" taller. than the same tire mounted to a 823. Minions even look smaller when mounted to a 721 which is what lots of dh guy run as they are strong ,light and they like the tire profile they produce..

2.5 maxxis is plenty big for az. Unless your bender hucking to flat or just a plow there really is no need for a 2.7-3.0 carcass out here IMO. If you look at what the majority rides your have to think there is a reason.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clockwork
    rim combo also has an effect on tires . Take example a minion 2.5 on a 729 is 3/8" wider and 1/4" taller. than the same tire mounted to a 823. Minions even look smaller when mounted to a 721 which is what lots of dh guy run as they are strong ,light and they like the tire profile they produce..

2.5 maxxis is plenty big for az. Unless your bender hucking to flat or just a plow there really is no need for a 2.7-3.0 carcass out here IMO. If you look at what the majority rides your have to think there is a reason.
    I didn't know rim size had that much affect on tire width. Makes sense though. thanks for the enlightenment. BUT, those tires are definitely skinnier than a minion 2.5. I hope you like 'em. I'm sure you will - you're a better rider anyway .

Members who have read this thread: 0