Any locals been to Israel..and biked?- Mtbr.com
    EDR

Any locals been to Israel..and biked?

Looks like I'll be in Israel for a month in May and was wondering if anyone had any beta on the mountain bike scene?

It's a work trip so I'm not bringing my bike of course but would certainly be open to renting if there are some good options out there.

mtbr member
    Not been myself, but have seen videos put out by Noga Korem, who races in the EWS for GT, she's from Israel. Looked to me like they had some pretty decent riding there, where abouts exactly not sure, but the last video did have details where they were riding. Also you can check on IG and maybe hit her up with some questions, see if she can point you in the right direction.

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    There's this: Holyland MTB Challenge – The home of the HLC – he first self-supported mountain bike race from the north to the south of Israel across the historical landscapes of the Holy Land

Held in October, though. The link includes gps track of the course. I think Alaska phenom Lael Wilcox set the record a few years back.
    Veni vidi velo!

slow
    You might PM 2Mellow, a moderator on the Colorado - Front Range forum here at MTBR. He traveled there and rode some a few years back when he was working in sales for a large bike company.

EDR
    Cool, thanks for the suggestions.

Some years ago I helped a co-worker from Israel visiting here pick out a new Santa Cruz blur LT to take home. Guess he saved quite a bit of money buying in the US. Anyway there must be some decent riding out there I just need to track it down.

My other ride is your mom
    Max Morris has, but he's not on here...if you ask JeffZ, he should have some contact info for you that he might pass along.

EDR
    yeah, I downloaded the trailforks map for that area today and I see quite a few options in the northern part. There are some "forests" out there that seems to be the popular riding areas.

From what I gather online the riding in that area looks to be fairly subdued, and that's fine I'm still looking forward to getting out there and seeing the area.

I took a guy from Israel out to Desert Classic a number of years ago. it was spring and reaching over 90 degrees that weekend but he assured me that he rides 20 to 30 km every ride and the heat is not a big deal to him. Long story short I thought he was going to die after about 20 minutes. We barely made it a few miles and had to turn around it was pretty funny actually. I kept telling him, it's a dry heat.... Then I told him to get up off his back before a rattlesnake bites him. That got him moving.
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 03-07-2019 at 08:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Hum, I get that down here a lot too. People come down and brag they live in someplace in the US that reaches 100F during summer, they're good with it, we only reach 85F and want to start riding after 7am, by 10am they're not looking so good. What they don't take into account is here is very humid, with the heat index regularly going well over 40C/104F, we've hit an index as high as 44C/111F when the actual temp reading was only saying 32C/90F, and you're in the baking sun.

People from big countries like to assume that if there's no trails showing on Trailforks that the place doesn't have any real trails, so sad that they don't know what they're missing out on in alot of places where people don't give a crap about TF and trails aren't logged, but damn sweet. Do yourself a favour, find a local and ask them where's good riding, if you can't find someone you know, find a guide, pretty certain you'll be surprised when they show you the "goods"

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    yeah, I downloaded the trailforks map for that area today and I see quite a few options in the northern part. There are some "forests" out there that seems to be the popular riding areas.

From what I gather online the riding in that area looks to be fairly subdued, and that's fine I'm still looking forward to getting out there and seeing the area.

I took a guy from Israel out to Desert Classic a number of years ago. it was spring and reaching over 90 degrees that weekend but he assured me that he rides 20 to 30 km every ride and the heat is not a big deal to him. Long story short I thought he was going to die after about 20 minutes. We barely made it a few miles and had to turn around it was pretty funny actually. I kept telling him, it's a dry heat.... Then I told him to get up off his back before a rattlesnake bites him. That got him moving.

EDR
    Where is "down here"? Israel?

Yeah, I'm not good with humidity.

I didn't mean to imply anything regarding my riding. Was just sharing a funny story. Certainly not bragging that I'm from a "big country".

mtbr member
    Hey man, no worries, definitely did not take any offense, was actually just commiserating with you as having the same sort of experience. Down here is the Eastern Caribbean, island of Barbados. Our climate has been a life saver a good time or two when much fitter people have come down and ridden with me, but accustomed to a different climate, go out fast and then as the heat rises, fade, the ones affected the greatest are people from places with lots of covered forest trails, out of the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    Where is "down here"? Israel?

Yeah, I'm not good with humidity.

I didn't mean to imply anything regarding my riding. Was just sharing a funny story. Certainly not bragging that I'm from a "big country".

mtbr member
    Followed. Keep me posted I will be there end of June, Have a busy itinerary but can probably sneak away for most of one day to ride. Would love to if I can.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Bones2 View Post
    Followed. Keep me posted I will be there end of June, Have a busy itinerary but can probably sneak away for most of one day to ride. Would love to if I can.
    Will do.

I've already got a name or two of some co-workers out there who like to mountain bike so I'm going to hit them up for sure.

got a confirmation today of where we will be staying in unfortunately is not Tel Aviv.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Hey man, no worries, definitely did not take any offense, was actually just commiserating with you .
    Hey it's all good.
    Shalom and cheers! I'm really looking forward to this trip.

mtbr member
    The June 2019* issue of Mountain Bike Action has an article on mountain biking in Israel.

*yes, the June issue arrived at the end of April. They are weird that way.
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

mtbr member
    I assume the riding must be pretty extreme over there, even the people just walking around wear these little helmets...
    18 SC Bronson Carbon
    Grip2, Reserve 27 hoops, i9 hubs, Float X2

2018 SC V10.6
    Grip2, We Are One: The Outlier, i9 hubs, DHX2

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    The June 2019* issue of Mountain Bike Action has an article on mountain biking in Israel.

*yes, the June issue arrived at the end of April. They are weird that way.
    Thanks. I did read a lengthy ride report but not sure if it's the same one you're referencing. They did a lot of riding in southern Israel, in the vast desert which I don't plan to venture to. Camels freak me out. They seem super sneaky, worse than cats.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Shartist View Post
    I assume the riding must be pretty extreme over there, even the people just walking around wear these little helmets...
    Those are personal anti-rocket protective devices

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Kippah the jokes coming...
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

Thrill Bikers Unite!

mtbr member
    If i went back, i would spend most of my time eating. The middle eastern street food - especially the Falafel's were amazing.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    Down here is the Eastern Caribbean, island of Barbados.
    When I'm down island I'm drinking Presidente and Pussers...