mtbr member

Any AZ folks riding a Stache 8?

Been reading some reviews online of the Trek Stache 8 and am pretty intrigued. Seems the slack geometry and slightly longer travel would fit me well. Currently on a stumpy fsr 29er, just looking for something different I guess (I get bored easily, don't even ask how many cars I've owned)

So? Anyone here ride one? Curious to hear what your thoughts were on pros/cons riding a bike like that on our AZ trails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhino
    I have a Stache 8 but I am probably the worst person to give you advice, I don't know why I am responding. My go to bike is my rigid singlespeed. I too have a bunch of bikes from klunkers to fat bikes to fixed wheel off-road scorchers. I picked up the Stache 8 because I needed a geared bike to coach the high school team. I knew I didn't want another XC rig, but also knew I would get really bored of a full suspension bike with in a month. I didn't want he bike to sit and collect dust. I choose the Stache as it was different and it didn't fit into a certain type of bike. I like the slack geometry and hardtail as that is what I am used to. Coming from a rigid SS I think riding it is a joke. I feel like I don't need any skills. You just point the bike downhill and hold on, it rides over everything and you don't even need to pick good lines. The geometry fits me perfect. If I had to do it all over again and wanted to choose a new bike I would pick from the Stache 8, Niner ROS, or a Surly Krampus 29er+.

mtbr member

Thanks for the info. I think that's what appeals to me, it's "different." Just seems like it would be fun out here. Like a nice happy medium between a full squish and your typical everyday XC hardtail

mtbr member
    What about a Transition Trans Am? I have heard great things about that bike from multiple people. Seems like a similar style?
    “Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world.”
-Grant Petersen

mtbr member
    hmmmm.... Well, I own one of these

SCOTT Spark 950 Bike - SCOTT Sports

Its more of a cross country FS. Has an excllent lock out feature... And I seem to ride it pretty fast considering it weighs 28 lbs. I just like the speed I can get with my 23 lb carbon hardtail (Scott Scale Expert).

The lockout locks both front and back at the same time. And it has 3 settings. Full lockout. 1/2 lockout. and Full squish.

mtbr member

I like the look of that trans am. And actually almost bought that spark when I was last looking but settled on the stumpy. I can't shake the feeling that I had more fun when I was on my HT which is what triggered all of this. I have bike commitment issues apparently 😉