Any ADULTS riding 20" (BMX bikes) at McPump?- Mtbr.com
    banned

Any ADULTS riding 20" (BMX bikes) at McPump?

Just as the weather started to cool down, I was beginning to think about grabbing a pump track bike and trying something different this year to liven up my riding. I was going to get a 26"er, nothing special, just something to get the job done and see if I even like it, but having a BMX background I had a feeling I would.

WELL, this past week I was playing in the Safeway golf tournament and won a "Rockstar" Free Agent BMX bike. Being in the bev/alc industry, I am used to these raffle prizes like bicycles usually being some Walmart junk (like a NEXT) with a gawdy "Coors Light" sticker slapped on the downtube. I grabbed the box, dragged it to my car and didn't even look inside figuring Free Agent was probably just a name now, not the great BMX bikes I grew up with. I was trying to decide if I should just stop and donate it on the way home, as I didn't need something else cluttering my garage. Boy, am I glad I didn't. When I opened up the box I was shocked, this was an actual legit BMX racing bike! After pulling it out and doing the minimal assembly I quickly realized this was a quality bike - 3 piece cranks, Kenda tires, fairly light frame, as well as it was custom painted infinite black with the "Rockstar Energy Drink" logo actually part of the paint job - no stickers here! After taking a few spins around the cul-de-sac and remembering how much fun a BMX could be, I did some research online and discovered this was about a $400 model, and Free Agent is the bike sponsor of the Rockstar BMX team. I feel pretty lucky, especially since I only bought $20 worth of raffle tickets and I could have ended up with a Budweiser neon light or something

So anyway, sorry for being long winded, but is McPump built only for 26" & 24" wheels, or is it suitable for BMX wheels? How many grown-ups are riding 20's out there? I'd like to give it a shot but it's a bit of a drive out there and I don't want to show up under-equipped...all of the picture and vids I have watched of it looks like only kids are on BMX bikes. And I figure my Raleigh 29"er might be a little TOO big for the job...

Thanks in advance for any feedback

MNG

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    you'll be fine, it suits anything from a toddler bike up to a 26' dj. enjoy it!

Shred...it's the new drug
    There were some kids out there at the McPump party killing it on 16"...if you can shred it on 20...you will be able to slay it on a 26. 20's are so quick and nimble that riding a 26 after feels like you are going in slow mo...

mtbr member
    Yeah man take that 20" out there and have fun! When I moved from FL to AZ I converted from my Haro Pro Race XL bmx to now I ride a Haro Steel Reserve. I LOVE my DJ but do miss my bmx. Your bike will be fun out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ROrtiz10 View Post
    Yeah man take that 20" out there and have fun! When I moved from FL to AZ I converted from my Haro Pro Race XL bmx to now I ride a Haro Steel Reserve. I LOVE my DJ but do miss my bmx. Your bike will be fun out there.
    Nice!
    I'm looking for a 24"r rite now.
    Sure miss riding BMX.
    Never argue with a f%cking Know it all!

Shred...it's the new drug
    I know a guy with a sweet 26" DJ for sale for $500...PM for details

mtbr member
    I just listed a Mirraco 20Forty on CL...
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

banned
    Thanks for the replies all, going to head out there this weekend with the kids and give'r a shot!

banned
    That was a BLAST, I found my groove on the 20" pretty quick and had a great time. Even ending up in the ER tonight to get 12 stitches in my elbow doesn't dampen the enthusiasm, I'm hooked! Looking forward to volunteering some time to throw dirt and do some upkeep.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ouch stiches?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Irishcarbombs View Post
    Ouch stiches?
    yep...but all is well.