Any 1x8 or 1x9 speed riders here?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Any 1x8 or 1x9 speed riders here?

While talking to a LBS over the phone today he mentioned with my background in bmx and my love for speed and jumps that I should try out a 8-9 speed slope style bike because they are easier to huck around lower seat and so on. what are some thoughts on this?

forgive me if my terminology is wrong im still working on it..

mtbr member
    Yeah like you I grew up racing bmx. Moving out here from FL I wanted to take advantage of the mountains. I got a Gary Fisher Mullet which is an all mountain type of bike with 3x8 gearing. It was a solid bike as I got back into riding after almost a decade off a bike. As my confidence and ability grew I needed to upgrade. I did my research and figured I would go with either a freeride or a dirt jumper. So I went to craigslist and got a great deal on a bad ass like new Haro Steel Reserve 8. I am beyond happy with this bike. It's got a bmx feel with DJ forks and 1x8 gearing so I could still ride trails.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Shred...it's the new drug
    1x10 is the new 2x9...I run a DH chainguide up front and the big cassette out back and can climb almost anything (that I want too)...kinda spendy but prices are coming down on the 10 speed stuff. If you're just getting into and not worried about fancy gadgets...1x9 will be fine

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob View Post
    1x10 is the new 2x9...I run a DH chainguide up front and the big cassette out back and can climb almost anything (that I want too)...kinda spendy but prices are coming down on the 10 speed stuff. If you're just getting into and not worried about fancy gadgets...1x9 will be fine
    How spendy can it get upgrading the rear cassette and derailer? cause looking around at haro and kona they only have 1x8's in there hardtail line up... who else should I check out brand wise?

Pivotal figure
    Cassette and der. prices vary by component level. XTR or Saint stuff is scary spendy while Tiagra and Alivio are pretty cheap. 8 & 9 speed is a little harder to find now that 10 speed is here but you can expect to spend around $150 for a decent cassette and rear der.
    BTW, the 1x9 slopestyle bike makes for a super fun trail bike. I have a Full suspension version as well as my hardtail DJ and they're both a blast to ride offroad.
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

wawe member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewaholic View Post
    How spendy can it get upgrading the rear cassette and derailer? cause looking around at haro and kona they only have 1x8's in there hardtail line up... who else should I check out brand wise?
    I wouldn't worry about upgrading from 1x8 or 9 to 1x10. The only real advantage you'll gain is slightly smaller jumps in gear ratio from one cog to the next, at a higher cost and with 10spd, shorter lifespan of the chain and/or drivetrain. The widest overall range available is virtually the same, 11-34 for 8, 11-34 or 12-36 for 9, 11-36 for 10.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    whats a good way to shop for them on craigslist?

mtbr member
    Search for DJ, Dirt Jumper, Freeride, or a specific brand/model you're looking for. Be patient

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ROrtiz10 View Post
    Search for DJ, Dirt Jumper, Freeride, or a specific brand/model you're looking for. Be patient
    Yea I am. Ill have everything ready to buy about mid sept. I just have an itch to get out on the trails though.

mtbr member
    Yeah I bet. Well when you get your ride and are ready to hit some jumps let me know. I have an addiction for speed and jumps too

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ROrtiz10 View Post
    Yeah I bet. Well when you get your ride and are ready to hit some jumps let me know. I have an addiction for speed and jumps too
    Will do. I've only been in town for about 3 months and I hardly know anyone. It'd be nice to have someone to ride with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Double post