EDR

Answer Pro Taper 2'' rise?

I'm replacing a Monkeylite xc carbon bar (it's only 26 inches wide). I'm pretty sure it's a high rise which I think is 40mm. The Pro Taper 720 comes in 1'' and 2'' rise. Pretty sure I want the 2'' but is that a stupidly high rise? Not sure. I gotta think the 1'' is not enough. I just want a bar that is about the same as my current one. It'll be on a 90mm stem, but I may go shorter in the future.

Anyone running these bars on their up/down rig?

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004

yep, my set up

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    I'm replacing a Monkeylite xc carbon bar (it's only 26 inches wide). I'm pretty sure it's a high rise which I think is 40mm. The Pro Taper 720 comes in 1'' and 2'' rise. Pretty sure I want the 2'' but is that a stupidly high rise? Not sure. I gotta think the 1'' is not enough. I just want a bar that is about the same as my current one. It'll be on a 90mm stem, but I may go shorter in the future.

Anyone running these bars on their up/down rig?
    EDR, I'm running the 2" rise 27" wide Protaper on my 575. With no spacers and 90mm stem, it puts the bar right even with the seat. I'm running this bar on my Sultan and Canfield as well. If you think this is too high, flip the stem over (if it's got the typical 6 degree rise).

EDR
    AZ, thanks for the info. I've got 10mm of spacers under my bar now. This 2'' bar should be 10mm higher than my monkeylite, so worst case I just remove the spacers and all should be even.

It's just hard to judge the look of a 2'' bar on a wesite, didn't want it to show up and it look like a motorcycle handlebar.

EDR
    Hey, AZmtnycler

I debated for a week over the 1'' or 2'' bar. Just pulled the trigger on the 2'' b/c I also ordered a 20mm shorter stem to go with it. Should work out to be just about the same level (bars to seat) as I have now. Maybe I'll need to remove one 5mm spacer, we'll see.

Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    Hey EDR, I have been running the 2" rise 27" wide Pro Taper bars for 3 - 4 years and love the bend and the upsweep but think I would like to try a slightly wider bar and have been considering the Pro Taper 720 AM bar. Did you get the bars yet? Any ride time?

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by noosa2
    Did you get the bars yet? Any ride time?

Yes, and sadly no. Too busy at home this past week. Planning on riding SOMEWHERE this Friday. Hopefully in the trees

The bars are great looking. I am running them nearly all the way down on my stem, and have even flipped my new 5 degree stem upside-down to get the bars lower. In hindsight a 1'' bar would have worked fine, just b/c I like to keep some spacers under my stem....in case of I ever sell the fork. That will likely not happen though so it's all good.

Ridin bikes is fun
    EDR, I saw in another thread that you rode in Prescott the other day, how did your new handle bar/stem set up work out for you?

You inspired me to go out and spend some money. I went to Cactus and picket up a Sunline V-One OS Bar 19mm rise 745mm length. Also picked up a V-One All MTN Stem 65mm. Rode Pass Mountain yesterday. I think I like my new stuff, a lot.

Ridin bikes is fun
    Hello, paging EDR...

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav
    Hello, paging EDR...
    Sorry, I'm slacking.

Only the one ride (well, two in one day) on the new set up. So far not feeling the love for it at all. I'm gonna give it time though as I kinda dumped a bunch of changes on myself all at once. Add that to the fact I was riding out of my element on new (to me) trails and it's not a good barometer of the set up.

Felt ok on the long, relatively tech-less Spruce Mtn ride, not so good in the techie Dells area.

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004

details....

Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Sorry, I'm slacking.

Only the one ride (well, two in one day) on the new set up. So far not feeling the love for it at all. I'm gonna give it time though as I kinda dumped a bunch of changes on myself all at once. Add that to the fact I was riding out of my element on new (to me) trails and it's not a good barometer of the set up.

Felt ok on the long, relatively tech-less Spruce Mtn ride, not so good in the techie Dells area.
    Was it the length, height difference or the short stem make it feel squirrelly? That was a huge cockpit change though.... Kinda funny how we all have that individual 'home' feeling in our set ups.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler
    Was it the length, height difference or the short stem make it feel squirrelly? .
    Not quite sure yet. Everything felt weird. I definitely noticed the wider bars. The new ones are 2.3'' or so longer. The new stem is a 6* 70mm that is flipped over, old one was a 90mm X4.

I think the small frame might just be too small for a short-ish stem and I may ultimately cut the bars down an inch. My other ones are too short as I am always resting my palms on the end of the bar, but the 720 might just be a tad too long for my comfort. It's just hard to say what I need to do until I get more rides on the setup on familiar trails. It's just too hot and I'm too busy with other stuff lately to get rides in

Members who have read this thread: 0