Another Pass Mountain Thread...with video!!!- Mtbr.com
    Shred...it's the new drug

Another Pass Mountain Thread...with video!!!

Hit it up the first time today...we will be back! Thanks to SurfnDave for guiding us through the chunk and taking a sweet fall for the camera DankyCass and Noodlemaster were ripping. Hit a little NRA afterwards for some airtime...I'll post some more pics later.

Here's the map:

How do I do that?
    Nice vid with a classic tune!

I must make my way to Pass Mountain soon Thanks for posting

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    More than a few challenging areas, wasn't there. Very cool trail, if you don't mind some pedaling.
    The question isn't who's going to let me, it's who's going to stop me.

I'm starting to embrace the "if you don't mind some pedaling" trails looking forward to Goat Camp soon...I think Pass would be a killer out and back to the saddle and back, gonna have to try that soon

It's a slugfest!

Ldb,

Pass Mountain is awesome as loop, or as an out-and-back to the saddle. A couple of years ago, I did this loop as an out-and-out... Freakin' neck's never been the same....sometimes I turn left for no apparent reason....

I can't watch the vid from work, so I'll have to check it out this evening. Thanks for posting!

-SS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Slug
    Pass Mountain is awesome as loop, or as an out-and-back to the saddle. A couple of years ago, I did this loop as an out-and-out... Freakin' neck's never been the same....sometimes I turn left for no apparent reason....
    -SS
    Ouch, perhaps CCW would be best for you

A link to Anthony Sloan's wonderful pictures of Pass Mtn.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=384196

Sort of reminds me of HO in Sedona. An 8 mile ride can dish out a lot. Fun, pain, joyful cries of love it, whatever happens to be on the menu that day.

"No Clue Crew"
    Nice Video Bob!. I hate how videos NEVER show how hate a obstacle is!!! Nice work on the steep hard right turn one! ............Drew

Rhino
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    I'm starting to embrace the "if you don't mind some pedaling" trails looking forward to Goat Camp soon...I think Pass would be a killer out and back to the saddle and back, gonna have to try that soon

bring your climbing legs
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...61482#poststop
    (did not descend Goat Camp proper this time though...)

parenting for gnarness
    Pass Mtn. from NRA to the saddle and back is an awesome ride and warmup to jumping, if like me you go small at NRA and want to get in a good workout first. The north side of PM from the lot and back (or from McKellips via the flats) is also a hoot - steady techy climb and then you get to hit it all again.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grave9
    Nice Video Bob!. I hate how videos NEVER show how hate a obstacle is!!! Nice work on the steep hard right turn one! ............Drew

That video makes it look pretty easy...I have never had the nerve to try that little drop at 1:24 in the vid...it's a lot freaky when you are on the approach to it and wondering how bad it's gonna be when you miss the turn...In my case, discretion is the better part of valor...I'm content jumping off like a big wimp and bull dogging the bike down it...The rest is not so bad, but not as easy as the vid makes it look...

The little barrel cactus next to the saguaro on the left side of the trail at 1:09 is missing some spines...Don't worry, I know where they went, I carried them around embedded in the back of my left shoulder for about 2 weeks..I hate that fu**ing cactus..
    Check my pulse...

Meatbomb
    was that a skid at the end .... shame

Ridin bikes is fun
    Your welcome for the crash. I figured "what's a Pass Mountain run without a little carnage". And yeah the video makes it look much easier than it is. Thanks for shooting the video Bob, I was stoked to have you guys along.
    Last edited by surfndav; 12-09-2010 at 05:16 PM.
    Better than most, not as good as some.

Quote Originally Posted by surfndav
    Your welcome for the crash. I figured "what's a Pass Mountain run without a little carnage". And yeah the video makes it look much easier than it is. Thanks for shooting the video bob I was stoked to have you guys along.
    Thanks for taking one for the team dave!!! and for showing us around

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Slug

I can't watch the vid from work, so I'll have to check it out this evening. Thanks for posting!

-SS
    I remember when that happened. We got the phone call from Colette saying that you were in the hospital. That was scary. At least things are back to normal......er...well....mostly back to normal....Luckily you weren't more seriously hurt.

LDB- Nice video! Love that trail. The back side is fun but I almost enjoy the out and back better. There are some fun flowy sections that you almost forgot you had to climb....

Meatbomb
    sure... sidetrack the skidding incident.. typical downhillers

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    sure... sidetrack the skidding incident.. typical downhillers
    i think we've had this discussion last year around the same time...drifting is not skidding

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    thats one big-ass tire on the stretcher.. it would suck if it got a pinch flat...

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by 5bravobravo
    .I have never had the nerve to try that little drop at 1:24 in the vid....
    it took me awhile and a few wrecks til i could get that, and I still don't always make the turn. but its one of those moves that the fundamentals required really help you improve as a tech rider. good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    it took me awhile and a few wrecks til i could get that, and I still don't always make the turn. but its one of those moves that the fundamentals required really help you improve as a tech rider. good luck!
    it looks alot worse than it really is. dave had me all psyched out about it and I hit it and was like "thats it?"

RHRF!
    Sweet Pass Mountain Cherry Poppin'!! Also nice to see you bringing along the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders @ 1:20 for moral 'chunk' support!
    "The secret of joy is the mastery of pain." (Anaïs Nin)

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Hey Latedropbob, I just bought a Go Video camera and was wondering what kind of video editor you used for the video.

Thanks in advance.

lurker extraordinaire
    You skidding downhillers are all the same. Next thing we know you guys will be driving a van up South Mountain, buzzing rodies with a vuvuzela or something. Umm...wait a minute...

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy29er
    More than a few challenging areas, wasn't there. Very cool trail, if you don't mind some pedaling.
    I'm starting to embrace the "if you don't mind some pedaling" trails
    I thought that statement was exceptionally funny. Kinda like saying "hiking the Grand Canyon is a lot of fun if you don't mind walking" or "Zinnburger has one of the best burgers if you don't mind eating burgers." How can you like biking and not like pedaling?

I know... I'm just giving you DH junkies a hard time...

it looks alot worse than it really is. dave had me all psyched out about it and I hit it and was like "thats it?"
    That's 'cause you're a rock star!

My other ride is your mom
    I really dig that "whoo-hoo" you let out after making that turn at the base of the slab...
    Last edited by Maadjurguer; 12-08-2010 at 09:50 AM.

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    I really did that "whoo-hoo" you let out after making that turn at the base of the slab...
    I had never done that line before. I've always gone left which makes it hard to make the right turn at the bottom. I've looked at it and I've seen others do it, but that was new for me. I'm disappointed the the video makes it look so easy, but if it get the shuttle king/downhill extraordinaire (latedropbob) that excited you know it's cool. But yeah, it's not death defying it's just scary enough to make it a fun line.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike
    I thought that statement was exceptionally funny. Kinda like saying "hiking the Grand Canyon is a lot of fun if you don't mind walking" or "Zinnburger has one of the best burgers if you don't mind eating burgers." How can you like biking and not like pedaling?

I know... I'm just giving you DH junkies a hard time...

That's 'cause you're a rock star!
    bigO, let me splain what I meant, and I understand that you were being playful. There's pedaling, and then there's pedaling. 7 miles of Pass Mountain Trail is more strenuous, IMO, than 19 miles of DC c2c2c, or 16 miles of Pemberton. If you haven't been to Pass Mtn, give it a try, you'll see. Very cool trail, if you don't mind some pedaling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by surfndav
    I had never done that line before. I've always gone left which makes it hard to make the right turn at the bottom. I've looked at it and I've seen others do it, but that was new for me. I'm disappointed the the video makes it look so easy, but if it get the shuttle king/downhill extraordinaire (latedropbob) that excited you know it's cool. But yeah, it's not death defying it's just scary enough to make it a fun line.
    That cut up and over line is the good line to clear that rt hander, My XL frame is hard to get around when you go left and then back right at the bottom, it is funny how easy that cut up and over line looks on film but it is alittle hard with the gravity pulling at you against your brakes and your bent alittle and the decreasing radius turn not wanting you to go up and over .

Good job looked smooth and controlled !!

That scarface mountain is some hard pedeling and will rip your lungs out if you try and push it .

No Clue Crew
    bigO, let me splain what I meant, and I understand that you were being playful. There's pedaling, and then there's pedaling. 7 miles of Pass Mountain Trail is more strenuous, IMO, than 19 miles of DC c2c2c, or 16 miles of Pemberton. If you haven't been to Pass Mtn, give it a try, you'll see. Very cool trail, if you don't mind some pedaling.
    I'd love to make it out sometime. Good to know what's waiting for me when I do: another trail handing me my ass. Seems there are more trails than I have time...

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I'd love to make it out sometime. Good to know what's waiting for me when I do: another trail handing me my ass. Seems there are more trails than I have time...
    Seriously, bigO, go out and give it a ride. It really is a cool trail, but it's a tough 7 miles. As I stated in my thread, it's a constant roller coaster. There's really no huge, killer climbs, not going CW anyway, but there's a LOT of small ones. There's lots of tight turns, bunches of short "tech" sections, plenty of spots where you turn tight then have to blast a short but steep climb from darn near a stand still. It's narrow. Very scenic. You'll like it.

mtbr member
    I really have to try this trail. It looks like a blast!

mtbr member
    I guess I can console myself on the 'drifting' with the fact the I was able to hang on shuttle-master extraordinaire Bob's wheel the whole way down the tech sections and clean everything on the southeast side of the mountain. Those lines were sketchy but great fun. But it's true, my counter-steering and smooth cornering skill blows chunks, at least for now. Pass Mountain absolutely rocks, hope to improve on some climbs and hit the DH even faster next time. Mucho thanks to surfndav for the excellent introduction to an awesome trail. Gooood stuff!
    Last edited by Noodlemaster; 12-08-2010 at 10:19 PM.

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by Noodlemaster
    I guess I can console myself on the 'drifting' with the fact the I was able to hang on shuttle-master extraordinaire Bob's wheel the whole way down the tech sections and clean everything on the southeast side of the mountain. Those lines were sketchy but great fun. But it's true, my counter-steering and smooth cornering skill blows chunks, at least for now. Pass Mountain absolutely rocks, hope to improve on some climbs and hit the DH even faster next time. Mucho thanks to surfndav for the excellent introduction to an awesome trail. Gooood stuff!
    Great to meet you, Pass is always a gas. Give me a shout next time your around and we can do it again.

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by titusbro
    Sweet Pass Mountain Cherry Poppin'!! Also nice to see you bringing along the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders @ 1:20 for moral 'chunk' support!
    Look closely, that is the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders from 1965. Still better than a lot you guys get....

No Clue Crew
    Seriously, bigO, go out and give it a ride. It really is a cool trail, but it's a tough 7 miles. As I stated in my thread, it's a constant roller coaster. There's really no huge, killer climbs, not going CW anyway, but there's a LOT of small ones. There's lots of tight turns, bunches of short "tech" sections, plenty of spots where you turn tight then have to blast a short but steep climb from darn near a stand still. It's narrow. Very scenic. You'll like it.
    I'll get there. Just don't know when. It really does sound like a blast. But, there are still trails within 10 miles of me that I haven't ridden (Deem Hills, Goat Camp, most of South Mountain) that I'd like to get to before traveling 40 miles away. Maybe if a group ride pops up on a weekend I'm free I'll make the trek...

Ridin bikes is fun
    Quote Originally Posted by kelstr
    That cut up and over line is the good line to clear that rt hander, My XL frame is hard to get around when you go left and then back right at the bottom, it is funny how easy that cut up and over line looks on film but it is alittle hard with the gravity pulling at you against your brakes and your bent alittle and the decreasing radius turn not wanting you to go up and over .

Good job looked smooth and controlled !!

That scarface mountain is some hard pedeling and will rip your lungs out if you try and push it .
    Yes on all counts.

AZ Mountain Biking Member
    Looks awesome and very scenic. So you guys do this on your 6" rigs? Just wondering what the weapon of choice might be with all the climbing...? Good times.

I love bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by niche77
    Looks awesome and very scenic. So you guys do this on your 6" rigs? Just wondering what the weapon of choice might be with all the climbing...? Good times.
    Yes. Gotta do a decent amount of climbing no matter which way you go to get to the goods. So a good all rounder is the way to go.

My other ride is your mom
    I'll get there. Just don't know when. It really does sound like a blast. But, there are still trails within 10 miles of me that I haven't ridden (Deem Hills, Goat Camp, most of South Mountain) that I'd like to get to before traveling 40 miles away. Maybe if a group ride pops up on a weekend I'm free I'll make the trek...

and where on the 7th dimension do you live where you're 10 miles from Deem Hills, Goat Camp and SoMo?

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by dsittman
    Yes. Gotta do a decent amount of climbing no matter which way you go to get to the goods. So a good all rounder is the way to go.
    ridden it on the 6 inch Heckler and the 4 inch 29er. I kinda prefer the 29er, especially when making it part of the Hawes\PM loop or when riding 6 miles each way from my old house. If combining with NRA, the 6inch is perfect. There is not that much gnar, and nothing double black. of course you can go bigger on the bigger bike, but you pay for it on all the soccer balls. either will be fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by niche77
    Did it on my Firebird and it was perfect. I would do it on my hard tail 29er if that was all I had.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    and where on the 7th dimension do you live where you're 10 miles from Deem Hills, Goat Camp and SoMo?
    OK, after further thought maybe SoMo is stretch. I'm off 75th & Peoria. I know Deem Hills is within 10, pretty sure White Tanks is, and SoMo might be closer to 15 or so. But all are a helluva lot closer than Fountain Hills, Mesa, and all the other trails out east everyone loves.

My point was if I'm just gonna load up and go for a ride it's gonna be somewhere closer to me. That's why I ride T100 a lot. And why I really wanna try Deem Hills.

If someone throws a thread up for a group ride I'll definitely consider making the trip. But I'm not gonna drive across the entire city for an afternoon stroll. Hell, BCT is closer to me than most of those trails out east.

mtbr member
    OK, after further thought maybe SoMo is stretch. I'm off 75th & Peoria. I know Deem Hills is within 10, pretty sure White Tanks is, and SoMo might be closer to 15 or so.
    Damn, you must drive fast. It would take me easily 45 mins to get to White Tanks from 75th and Peoria, and maybe the same to SoMo, unless I went at 3 a.m.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Damn, you must drive fast. It would take me easily 45 mins to get to White Tanks from 75th and Peoria, and maybe the same to SoMo, unless I went at 3 a.m.
    Well, I didn't think I'd have to Googlemap a route to simply say Pass Mountain is a LOT further from me than most trails...

According to the Google:

It's 16 miles from my house to Deem Hills: 31 minutes.

It's 16 miles from my house to the White Tanks: 40 minutes. It's been a LONG time since I've been there so I misjudged how far it was.

It's 20 miles from my house to South Mountain: 35 minutes.

It's 45 miles from my house to Usery Mountain Recreation Area: 55 minutes.

mtbr member

I love Pass Mountain

all I can say...I'm all choked up now...
    Check my pulse...

Members who have read this thread: 0