Another night riding question - what wildlife have you seen in the dark?- Mtbr.com
    Fragile - must be Italian

Another night riding question - what wildlife have you seen in the dark?

Yet another AZ wildlife question...

What wildlife have you all seen while riding at night? I'm always worried about running into snakes, but I have yet to see any. I've also wondered about desert horned owls and other big birds. And I have yet to run into a pack of coyotes...although I frequently hear them.

Anyway, in my limited night riding experience I have really only seen small rodents. Nothing else.

What have you guys run into? Or what have you seen peering at you in the dark?

Thx...Doug

Drugstore Trailrider

There isn't much that doesn't see and hear you coming.

Quote Originally Posted by dgangi

What wildlife have you all seen while riding at night? I'm always worried about running into snakes, but I have yet to see any. I've also wondered about desert horned owls and other big birds. And I have yet to run into a pack of coyotes...although I frequently hear them.

Thx...Doug
    Doug,

As an experienced wildlife photographer (and mountainbiker) I have always observed that it is real hard to get as close to animals as I would generally like to. Day or night, they see and hear you coming before you know they are there, so in general I find concerns about running into something unfounded.

The only "big animal" encounter I have had on a night ride was on the Willow Springs course north of Tucson where I went around a bush entering a wash and nearly ran broadside into a steer. I know it knew I was coming, but it didn't give a rip, and never moved an inch.

John W.
    Body Armor--Don't Leave Home Without It!

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi

Anyway, in my limited night riding experience I have really only seen small rodents. Nothing else.

What have you guys run into? Or what have you seen peering at you in the dark?

Thx...Doug
    Scorpions, snakes, owls, kangaroo rats, rabid neighborhood dog, javalina, horny teenagers, tweekers.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

caninus xerophilous

Lions, tigers, and bears! Oh my!

I thought I saw a puddy cat early this morning. I did! T'was a bobcat! A big bobcat!

Thing I find about MTB's and critter sightings is that often we get close because we are fast and silent. In Catalina dear, javalina, coyotes, snakes, spiders, and the chupacabra are often sighted from dusk till dawn.

On the Tucson fling ride a couple of riders said they saw a couger. It was in an area where I have twice sighted a couger.

Louis

mtbr member
    Well, just last night I almost sat on a rattler while trying to change a flat. Damn thing didn't make a peep, until a couple bikers and their dog came on us. The dog started sniffing at some rocks I was sitting on, whiche pissed the snake off. I don't think I've ever moved so fast :-)

In addition, I've come across coyotes, owls, Blair Witch, and a couple glowing eyes two days after the mt lion attack in S.D. (I have no idea what it was, but my guess was it was indeed probably a mt lion, I'm convinced of it).

I lean like a cholo!

At night

I have seen pigmy ground owls (look like doves if you are not paying attention), scorpions, snakes (no rattles), Humpatron2000, & coyotes. Of all these Humpatron2000 scared me the most, so I ran away.
    ...and I used my strength to rip my blouse...