Another "New to Phoenix" post- Mtbr.com
    jjs
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Another "New to Phoenix" post

Hi All,

I just recently moved to Phoenix (from LA, but I grew up in Flagstaff). I live near T100 (I'm off 24th st between Shea and Cactus). Haven't had a chance to check out the trails yet, but am hoping to do some night rides soon. In fact part of the reason my wife and I picked this location was proximity to some trails....

If anyone lives near me, or wants to get together for a ride some time, shoot me an e-mail. Also, I read the post on tires (currently running python USB) and looking for some new tires, probably want to stay with the USB as I've had great success with avoiding flats and I figure the thicker sidewalls will help with puncture prevention (I also use a mold builder / slime homebrew in the tires). Haven't had any luck trying to seat non-usb tires on these rims (have tried conti's and maxxis). Also looking at the Nokian NBX lite, anyone with any expereince?

Finally, if anyone can recommend some variations on the t100 theme, I'd appreciate it. Mainly I'm looking for rides I can do without having to get in the car and drive.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

T100 variations

Quote Originally Posted by jjs
    Finally, if anyone can recommend some variations on the t100 theme, I'd appreciate it. Mainly I'm looking for rides I can do without having to get in the car and drive.
    I moved here three weeks ago for the summer from Chicago to do some work and my office is at 24th/Glendale. I ride out there two to three nights after work. In reality you can simply wander and wander, create loops that will work with your technical experitise and location. Last night I took off from my office and went through a neighborhood just west of Squaw Peak entrance off of Glendale. I climbed out of the back of the Neighborhood and eventually joined up with 1A and went back and forth on 1A, 100, down twisted sister (or something like that as I rode with a local one night and he was giving me non signed names), then onto 100, hooked in 8 or 8A and climbed back over the Peak ending up coming out at 32nd street. I'll be riding again here on Thursday night and will create another new loop out of wandering. I'm headed to S. Mtn tonight for a big loop on Mormon, National, down Telegrah and back Desert Classic.

mzzm

MTBR Tool
    Hi All,

I just recently moved to Phoenix (from LA, but I grew up in Flagstaff). I live near T100 (I'm off 24th st between Shea and Cactus). Haven't had a chance to check out the trails yet, but am hoping to do some night rides soon. In fact part of the reason my wife and I picked this location was proximity to some trails....

If anyone lives near me, or wants to get together for a ride some time, shoot me an e-mail. Also, I read the post on tires (currently running python USB) and looking for some new tires, probably want to stay with the USB as I've had great success with avoiding flats and I figure the thicker sidewalls will help with puncture prevention (I also use a mold builder / slime homebrew in the tires). Haven't had any luck trying to seat non-usb tires on these rims (have tried conti's and maxxis). Also looking at the Nokian NBX lite, anyone with any expereince?

Thanks in advance

Jeff
    Hutchinson Pythons should serve you well.

I'm riding tonight - not sure what time yet due to wife's work/babysithoting schedule but probably around 6:30pm if you're up for it. Email me rexhylton at hotmail.com if you're interested.

Occidental Tourist

Jeff
    There are simpy tons of loops and variations to be found - I ride T100 alot and I'm still finding stuff. I'll be riding this afternoon. PM me if you're interested. I'll also likely be doing a longer ride on Saturday morning on and around T100. Welcome to Kleenix.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Just another half mile...
    You pick a great place to buy a house. You have over a 100-miles of combined trails to ride and explore. I live pretty close over by Shea & 26th and have been riding the Phoenix Mountain trails for over 14 years and know them inside out. There is no need to get in your car to ride any of the Phoenix Mountain trails, just pick up the trails from your house. I have GPS's most of the trails in the preserves, see my map at http://www.ureach.com/epicrider (look under File Cabinet). The trails range from mild to wild, basically the higher you go up on the slopes the more technical the trails get. There are an inifinte amount of loops that can be put together depending on how long you want to go. There are several groups that get together for night rides. I used to lead a night ride every Tuesday night form Dreamy Draw for years, but lately It's been difficult for me to break loose from work. There is another group that meets at the 40th Street trail head on Tuesday nights at 7 that you could hook up with, but be ready to do a little billy goating with this group. If you can't hook up with anybody, get on the bike and start exploring, you really can't get lost, but take along a copy of the map until you get oriented just in case.

My tire of choice are the 2.4 WTB Mutanoraptors with slime tubes. They are lite and have a large volume to them. The bigger the better on the loose rocky terrain. I am not sold on tubeless tires out here the the desert. I have seen to many tubeless flats on the trail with tubes being put back in and spugey mess resulting....my $0.02.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance

Jeff

Ouch, I am hot!

I'M a T100 guy

I would explore the trails off of the main T100 Trail, especially on the east side of the 51 freeway. I would head east on T100 from your house and follow the main trail (over a couple of saddles) and then under the 51 through the main tunnel to the Dreamy Draw parking lot. I would then go through the parking lot to the paved bike path and then take the T100 up (left) to the top of the next main saddle. This is the main hill up. From there you can start exploring, taking the main trail or the many side routes. One good option is to head east on T100 for a couple miles or so and then head south on 8 (?) from T100. Going east on T100, head right (south) on the trail that starts just before the intersetcion of T100 and the 40th Street parking lot wide main trail (if you stay on T100 east you will go down and soon come to the end at Tatum). Heading south on 8(?), bear right at the first opportunity just after coming off T100 (this is single track now) and continue for 10 minutes or so. At some point just a bit after the single track widens you will go up a very small hill. To the right you can go down a steep short hill into a very big wash (valley). You can then take your first right, climb out of the wash and continue. There are several variations here, but if you just head north you will eventually get back to T100. If you go straight up the wash you can continue on 8 to the top. This is some very sweet single track and perhaps my favorite part of the trails. Once you get to the saddle, you can turn around and bomb down this sweet section or head left to paved road, left again to the house and to the dirt again and then first left down the big hill. This will take you right back to the big wash.

I know, too long and hard to follow, so just explore. I live blocks from T100 and would be happy to show you around and evn meet you at T100 by your place. I go every weekend early morning (7:00 or before) and often I do the Wednesday night ride from the Slippery Pig LBS at 7:00 p.m. I also throw in a couple of weekday very early rides, 6:00 a.m. Although there is a rumor that I do not even ride at all. Drop me a PM or email my work at gmkhotim@rhhklaw.com any time.
    I AM JUST A JERK

mtbr member
    Sounds like you got lots of offers. Regarding the tires, I've been a huge fan of the Panaracer XC Pros. They stick well on the loose stuff you'll find on T100.

I'm likely heading for a ride Wednesday and possibly Thursday, so drop me a line at jeff-kellum At cox dot net. But like others said, from where you are, just get on a trail and ride. Pretty much any trail in the T100 section is bikable (or hike a bikable).

jjs
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for all the reply's and offers to ride. Can't ride this week, heading up to Flagstaff tonight...back to the old stomping grounds.

Thanks also for the tire recs. How do the WTB 2.4's work with stans, etc? Will it fit in a SID?

Also looking for recs on a good light. Figure that with the heat I'll be doing a fair amount of night riding. I currently have a cygolight 10 W. (I adventure race so I got it b/c cheap and good burn time with fairly low weight using home brew R/C battery pack). Looking at the Lume Strada HID as it is the cheapest HID I've found anyone with any experience? Also interested in used HID if anyone is interested in selling.

Thanks again, hopefully I'll be able to ride with some of you in the next couple weeks.

Jeff

caninus xerophilous

Stan does not recomend WTB tires with Stans.

Thanks also for the tire recs. How do the WTB 2.4's work with stans, etc? Will it fit in a SID?
    I killed the sidewall on one (WTB 2.4 Nanoraptor) using a tubless mix after just a few rides. I think CJ runs them with a mix and has not had any problems, it may be that I weigh more than him and ride in a less polished manner.

MTBR Tool
    I've had great results w/the Mutano Raptors and Stans system. Light-wise - I'm still using an Ebay sourced NiteRider Classic but I have seen the Light and Motion Arc and was very impressed by it.

Saucy Size
    Thanks also for the tire recs. How do the W T B 2.4's work with stans, etc? Will it fit in a SID?
    Just to echo what Louis said, I've also had problems with the Motoraptor 2.4s and tubeless, mostly sidewall cuts. Very, very thin sidewalls, unless you go with the Laser casing, which is very, very thick and heavy and generally yuck.

I think you'll have to experiment. I was doing fine with the Motoraptors for, I don't know, maybe a year and then all the sudden I couldn't keep them from dying on me. My riding style may have changed, I don't know. Now I've got M*xxis Mobsters but I haven't had a chance to really push them yet.

Juan Restropo is running the homebrew tubeless system on his singlespeed in Motoraptors and has had no problems at all. He's a skinny little ******* now, though, and doesn't pound through stuff very hard.

This is why you have a bike R&D budget. Or build a "black" budget out of found money so your missus/SO doesn't find out.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

Jm.
    mtbr member
    motoraptors suck though
    I know in my heart that Ellsworth bikes are more durable by as much as double. AND they are all lighter...Tony Ellsworth

Ouch, I am hot!

UST Rims and Vert Pro. UST

This is my setup and I like it fine. Rear could have better grip in this loose desert shale cra*p that we love so much here in Phoenix. I hear great things about the Geax Sturdy for desert conditions but have not tried these yet, but will on my next set. I have tried several non UST Hutchinsons and all of them failed to last.
    I AM JUST A JERK

caninus xerophilous

Building a "Black" R&D budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul B

This is why you have a bike R&D budget. Or build a "black" budget out of found money so your missus/SO doesn't find out.

p.
    LOL! Three dollar cokes and five dollar conveniance store green chili
    burritos. Where do you think it goes?

Louis

Fragile - must be Italian

Welcome

Hi All,

Thanks in advance

Jeff
    Hi Jeff -

Welcome to the neighborhood! I live right near you at 24th St between Shea and Mountain View. And as you can expect, the T100 is my stomping grounds since it's so damn close.

My favorite T100 excursions depend on the time I have to ride:

1-hour figure 8 loop: the T100 and T100A make a nice figure 8 loop between the 51 and Cave Creek. Start anywhere on the T100 that you want (probably the Shea trailhead is closest to you - I start on Cheryl). Then ride east towards the 51. When you go down the hill and would normally bear right to go under the 51, make a left instead. That trail wraps around the front of the mountain you just went behind on the T100. Eventually you'll climb a very steep peak and drop back into the T100 again. Then follow the T100 almost all the way to Cave Creek road. Just before you drop into a service road, make a sharp right up hill. Cruise up that hill and stay on the front of the hill on the "high" road. That trail will loop around one hill and head back west. At some point you will make another sharp left to head around the front of another hill. This trail will eventually take you to the T100 at the top of the hill that drops you down into Cave Creek road. Then continue on back to your starting point.

2-hour "east" tour: do the 1-hour figure 8 loop as mentioned above, but this time extend the ride all the way to the Tatum parking lot. Go under the 51, head to Tatum, and then head back. Then finish out the rest of the figure 8 loop.

2-hour "west" tour: same idea as above, but this time extend the ride westbound to the Pointe Tapatillo.

There are also a lot of other fun trails off the T100, most of them are either on the east side of the 51 (by Dreamy Draw park) or on the west side of 7th Street (over by Shaw Butte). Some of my favorites include the 1A, Trail 220 ("Black Diamond trail" as somebody calls it), and the "zipper" (not a numbered trail that I know of).

Enjoy the area. And please drop me a private message or email if you are interested in riding.

Thx...Doug

jjs
    mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Thanks

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the replys! Seems like Phoenix has a pretty friendly bunch of riders!

So I think I'm going to go with Conti verticals...saw a set of wire bead for $25, anyone know if you can mount these with stans/slime on ust wheels? Don't really want to spend $60 on the UST version. (I know lots have had bad exp with tubeless, but it's worked for me so far so I'll take a chance for a little while).

Also thinking of upgrading my fork from the SID...too flexy. I've seen a lot of Manitou Black Elite's on e-bay for pretty cheap...anyone with any experience? How about the Psylo's (also cheap on e-bay). I'd like to get a Fox or Marzochi, but they're a little spendy.

Once I get my house / job / life in order going to start doing some exploration. I'll post to see if anyone wants to show me around once I get my bike built up again (it's still in the box from my trip to NZ...which by the way, if anyone can get over there, AMAZING!!!!!)

Thanks again.

Jeff

JJK
    AZ MTBR

Conti tires

Hey Jeff,
    I live in Glendale and ride all over AZ. I use the Conti Vertical Pro's 2.3 tube type, Kevlar
    bead on Mavic UST rims with Stans inside and they work Great.. Going up to Flag this Sunday to ride Mt. Elden...Awesome...

Later,
    JohnnyK