mtbr member

Another annoying visitor

I'm currently sifting my way through the great info on the visitor sticky, but thought I'd ask more specific questions here. I'm staying with some friends in Rimrock AZ from about Dec 28 - Jan 1, then I want to head somewhere fairly close with an inexpensive AirBnB for some riding. The sticky doesn't mention much about weather and trail conditions. I'm assuming Flagstaff, Sedona, Prescott? could be snowy? I can head to Phoenix or Tucson - Tucson showing much more reasonable lodging. Any great suggestions for location?

If anyone wants to suggest trails also, I'm partial to views and climbing and XC style riding. Tech/Chunk is fun but wears me out. Rides from 15-25 miles are good if the trail is relatively smooth.

Thanks!
    Take three hours of single track through a pine forest and call me in the morning.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    No shortage of that style riding in either Phoenix or Tucson.

Living in Tucson here are my suggestions for that style riding in Tucson:

-Arizona trail segments southeast of town

-Starr Pass

-honeybee canyon

-sweetwater preserve

-50 year trail

All of these are on Trailforks and MTB Project for details.

mtbr member
    In the Phoenix area Gold Canyon, Brown's Ranch, McDowell Mt., South Mountain, Black Canyon Trail, Cave Creek all have what you're looking for and reliable weather. Check the weather when it comes to Prescott and Sedona. Could be dry and 60 degrees, snowy and mid30s, or anything in between. Deadhorse Ranch SP in Cottonwood has a half days worth of decent riding. Forget Flag unless you have a fatbike. As mentioned Tucson checks all the boxes but I have never ridden there. And yeah... Trailforks.
    Veni vidi velo!

Meatbomb
    That time of year, stay in the lower elevations...

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by pinerider View Post
    I'm currently sifting my way through the great info on the visitor sticky, but thought I'd ask more specific questions here. I'm staying with some friends in Rimrock AZ from about Dec 28 - Jan 1, then I want to head somewhere fairly close with an inexpensive AirBnB for some riding. The sticky doesn't mention much about weather and trail conditions. I'm assuming Flagstaff, Sedona, Prescott? could be snowy? I can head to Phoenix or Tucson - Tucson showing much more reasonable lodging. Any great suggestions for location?

If anyone wants to suggest trails also, I'm partial to views and climbing and XC style riding. Tech/Chunk is fun but wears me out. Rides from 15-25 miles are good if the trail is relatively smooth.

Thanks!
    There is actually a bunch of user created trails in Rimrock that are fun to ride. Check out the area between Hwy 17 and Beaver Flats Rd.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinerider View Post

Thanks!
    I think that you would really enjoy McDowell Mountain Park in the Phoenix area. Miles of trails, many relatively mild, but you can get some serious climbing if you head west and go towards Wingate or Bell pass. There are even mountain-bike specific trails out there. You have a great view of the superstition mountains to the East, and the Saguaro cactus seem to grow especially well around the park entrance and access road.

suvlako
    Tucson. Above mentioned are good but I'd er on putting 50yr on the top of the list. Then I would add some more unsung routes like Bellota segment of AZT to the Milagrosa Junction. includes 12 mile dirt road ride and about 9ish miles of rolling undulating ST finishing with some chunk, tech and FUN.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Tucson may be your best bet with cheaper lodging and generally less crowded. If so 50yr and AZT sections are fantastic. Exactly the type of riding you describe.

Phoenix riding is really great though too. If you can do two days in PHX stay in the East valley and ride McDowell mtns day 1, gold canyon K trail day 2. If you got 3 days stay near South mountain and ride there once too....Mormon to National loop if you want one of the coolest tech trails around. All the big chunk is walkable there.

mtbr member
    btw everyone rimrock is about 12 miles south of Sedona.... I wouldn't consider Tucson "fairly close"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    btw everyone rimrock is about 12 miles south of Sedona.... I wouldn't consider Tucson "fairly close"
    That close to Sedona I would just bring warm weather gear and just deal with the cold, unless itís raining.

mtbr member
    the first ever airBnB in black Canyon City (that I know of) has just opened up in the past week.. its $95/night... there is also a motel there for $75/night .... You could explore the black canyon trail (shuttle or out back) ... I just stayed in the motel this past Monday... I thought it is was good... very clean but no frills... the motel seems to always to have vacancy...

Sedona is great, but lodging is outrageous... Cottonwood is cheaper for Sedona rides..

mtbr member
    If you choose to do Sedona (which I would 2nd option would be BCT), and judging from your original post, I would recommend this ride -- https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/700...st-sedona-tour

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerdave View Post
    That close to Sedona I would just bring warm weather gear and just deal with the cold, unless itís raining.
    i agree

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    If you choose to do Sedona (which I would 2nd option would be BCT), and judging from your original post, I would recommend this ride -- https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/700...st-sedona-tour
    No Sedona expert here, but I agree with RC44. This loop will give you a taste of moderate Sedona chunk, some slickrock time, and good views. Guaranteed to leave you wanting more.
    Veni vidi velo!

mtbr member
    Thanks all for your excellent advice! Much appreciated. West Sedona Tour looks great while I'm in Rimrock. I am definitely equipped for cold weather riding, I just wouldn't begin to know what the trail surface might be like in the winter. I'll check it out. I decided on Tucson for a few days. Again, great suggestions. Phoenix is on the back burner for the future, how have I not explored AZ trails before now??
    Take three hours of single track through a pine forest and call me in the morning.