Just A Mountain Biker.

Anheuser Busch Acquires Four Peaks Brewing Company

Goodbye "local" cred...

(from today's Craft Business Daily)

The latest craft brewer to be acquired by Anheuser-Busch's is none other than Four Peaks Brewing Company out of Tempe, Arizona. The state's fastest growing craft brewery.

Andy Goeler sent out a memo to A-B's High End department announcing the latest addition today.

"Four Peaks' award-winning beers 23 GABF and World Beer Cup Medals - will complement our robust craft portfolio and together we'll provide consumers with even more great beers," Andy said. At the beginning of this year Four Peaks produced about 58,000 barrels, per AZ Central.

The company's four pubs likely caught A-B's eye as well. Four Peaks has their 8th Street Brewery and Tasting Room on Wilson in Tempe; Four Peaks Grill & Tap in Scottsdale; and Four Peaks Sky Harbor at the Sky Harbor International Airport in Phoenix.

Four Peaks' home base will remain in Arizona and co-founders Jim Scussel, Andy Ingram and Randy Schultz "will continue to lead the business."
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    Goodbye "local" cred...

(from today's Craft Business Daily)

The latest craft brewer to be acquired by Anheuser-Busch's is none other than Four Peaks Brewing Company out of Tempe, Arizona. The state's fastest growing craft brewery.

Andy Goeler sent out a memo to A-B's High End department announcing the latest addition today.

"Four Peaks' award-winning beers 23 GABF and World Beer Cup Medals - will complement our robust craft portfolio and together we'll provide consumers with even more great beers," Andy said. At the beginning of this year Four Peaks produced about 58,000 barrels, per AZ Central.

The company's four pubs likely caught A-B's eye as well. Four Peaks has their 8th Street Brewery and Tasting Room on Wilson in Tempe; Four Peaks Grill & Tap in Scottsdale; and Four Peaks Sky Harbor at the Sky Harbor International Airport in Phoenix.

Four Peaks' home base will remain in Arizona and co-founders Jim Scussel, Andy Ingram and Randy Schultz "will continue to lead the business."
    awesome that an Arizona brewery has become so successful... I would say they are going to go down the toilet, but I still really like some of the beers coming out of Sam Adams... And Sam Adams is really huge... So I will wait and see what happens to four peaks...

on a side note, it's not really a big deal.. there are so many other awesome breweries in Arizona.... My fav is "That Brewery"

mtbr member
    As long as the beery remains the same who cares. Of course when there is a corporate parent you never know.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Just Joshin' ya!
    I guess that's the way to go. Start a great brewery, get bought out, and retire. I hope it doesn't go down the tubes.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

My other ride is your mom
    RajunCajun said it best....there are so many other great brewers in the state....it's a meh in my mind. My personal favorite is Wanderlust Brewery. I would also add that this is the way of the future for upcoming brewers in the states....Goose Island is another example. So many folks are turning away from the big standards and moving to craft brew, that the big standards have to pick up lines that don't look like a can of Bud, Coors or Miller.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Same thing happened here in Bend, AB bought out 10 Barrel. Huge outcry from the locals, business at brewpub dropped dramatically. Now about a year later business is back up and nobody is talking about it anymore. The original owners are still brewing the beer and it all tastes the same. With the increase in capital 10 Barrel has been able to expand their capacity pretty significantly.

Can't say that I blame the owners for selling out, its pretty much most small businesses goal to grow and business and sell for a nice chunk of change.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    AB bought Redhook back ages ago. Gained distribution way beyond what we had in the NW but haven't seen a decent beer from them since.

They also bought into one of my old PDX hometown favorites, Widmer, but only at 49% so the brothers still control things. Capital investment helped to expand and they are still on top of their game.

We'll have to see which way it goes.

mtbr member
    Say it ain't so Jimmy! Wonder how long he'll stay in the 'hood?
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Meatbomb
    I bet the local pubs do not change at all... The beer is good but too bad the food is only fair.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Hipsters don't like big businesses buying the things they like, at least not when they actually find out about it. It was ok when AB was taking rednecks for a ride and capitalizing on their love of rice-beer, but now that AB is investing in real beer, somehow everyone can't drink it anymore. Maybe it's time for hipsters to go back to Old English?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    ****ing sellouts!

livin' the dream......
    Taking the 'wait and see' approach. Big fan of 8th Street & HopKnot. Got some Kiltlifter at the office Christmas party white elephant gift thing. Not my favorite, but I know it is the brew they are know for.
    Less f*cks to give every passing day, use them well. - geraldooka

mtbr member
    The best we can do is vote with our dollars in making a choice. I also read that REI purchased Mountain Project. To which MTB project is also part of. I don't know if the sale extended to mtb project? But is the work people do for free (gathering and posting trail beta), then gets out and becomes corporate, with an ad attached in the sidebar (beer sales), how do you feel about that?
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Looks like Breckenridge Brewery just got gobbled up as well today.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincipalRider View Post
    I hope it doesn't go down the tubes.
    Too late.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member

Anheuser Busch?

My bush is doing fine! Thanks for asking.

I am Walt
    Does everyone who "disapproves" of this shun ALL corporate-owned goods and services?

Yep; didn't think so. Go back to #occupywhatever...

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Does everyone who "disapproves" of this shun ALL corporate-owned goods and services?

Yep; didn't think so. Go back to #occupywhatever...

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    +1

mtbr member
    Jimmy, who is one of the original owners, is a neighbor. Bummed that he sold the business, but can't imagine the hours he put in to build the company. I'll still buy Four Peaks and hope the quality remains where it is. Never really went to the restaurants.
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    I only drink Steel Reserve so I could care less.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    As long as the beery remains the same who cares. Of course when there is a corporate parent you never know.
    The beer might not necessarily change immediately, but you can bet corporations like AB are not buying craft breweries because they suddenly realized that their own beer is piss. They have a strategy in these acquisitions and it is solely to gain market share and improve their bottom line.

We have had a number of San diego breweries purchased as well. This is what I hear is probably going to more or less happen:

AB will let their acquired breweries run their existing smaller brewing operations where they can still experiment and create all kinds of weird and wonderful stuff. This keeps them looking like craft brewers to most people. That is all well and good, but... On the macro side, AB will pull production of a few selected flagship beers of these brands into its main production facilities and crank them out in massive quantities at lower costs. Even if they don't alter the recipes, their economies of scale will reduce costs so much that independent craft brewers would not be able to compete in the majority of bars and restaurants. The small minority of craft beer supporters will always pay more for true craft beer. But most bars/restaurants will buy whatever craft-like beer AB offers them because it sounds like craft beer and most of their customers won't know the difference. This is a lot better than only having the choice of Bud or Bud Light but it will also reduce the opportunity for independent craft brewers to expand if companies like AB are able to use their dominance to grab a large share of the "craft beer" market. Then they will do what they always do...change recipes or eliminate the beers that are not profitable enough, and quality and selection will suffer.

Some will undoubtedly say that is how a free market works, and if craft brewers cannot compete tough. I hope those people like Goose Island IPA though because that is what the future of "craft beer" looks like if AB and other macros have their way. Can you say lowest common denominator?

That's why the majority of my purchases will be from independent craft brewers whenever I have the choice.