AM Riding in Greer/White Mountains, not Sunrise Resort- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

AM Riding in Greer/White Mountains, not Sunrise Resort

Hey gang, yes I am hitting Sunrise too, but wondering what there is to ride in the area around there. Trails in that region that anyone likes?

Shred...it's the new drug
    Check the tracks website for good trails.http://www.tracks-pinetop-lakeside.org/trail1.htm My favorite is los burros and table mesa. Talk to steveo or joey at the cactus shop up there and they will point you in the right directions. Lots to explore up there. Have fun!

banned
    Yep, go into the shop and get directions. Stevo sent me on a nice ride that was like 15 minutes away from the shop by car. It was great and I wish I could remember the name of the trail. It was surprisingly rocky but very fun.

sixsixtysix
    Quote Originally Posted by cesslinger
    Yep, go into the shop and get directions. Stevo sent me on a nice ride that was like 15 minutes away from the shop by car. It was great and I wish I could remember the name of the trail. It was surprisingly rocky but very fun.
    Blue Ridge?

banned
    ?????? I was extremely safe when I rode it.

mtbr member
    good to hear you liked it chuck, the trail name is timber mesa, a great out and back er take it for a full loop.

for other riding in the sunrise direction I would have to recommend south fork, its an out and back 14 er so round trip, 7miles slowly up then back down, some of the best stuff you can come across up here. top to bottom is like this....super rocky up top, very tech., then opens up to off camber less than a foot wide trail screaming alongside the hill that tops a creek a few hundred feet below, then it calms down to some sweet flowy buff single trk that twists along side the creek for 4+ miles, kinda like schultz trail up in flag, mixed with Mingus mountain. Pretty much the best there is in one trail that's climbable with very lill hike a bike.

Then you have the famous Los Burros as its a great trail with not to many techy. spots, nice flowy Co. typ trails.

i highly recommend south fork, bring alcohol wipes with, to get rid of the ivy oils

EDR
    for other riding in the sunrise direction I would have to recommend south fork, its an out and back 14 er so round trip, 7miles slowly up then back down,
    From which TH? The one to the west I presume (looking at a WTMS Online map) Do you make a run all the way to the other TH? I'm confused by the map and it's description compared to yours.

I just spent a week up in Pinetop, I can't believe I didn't go do South Fork!

OP: Timber Mesa has more tech than most trails in the TRACKS system. You can link that up with Panorama (I think) for more miles. Los Burros is not techie at all but a fun, fun trail. Ride it ccw. 16 miles. Starts in the forest and meadows, then climbs a bit up into the Aspens. Very dense up there. Then you bomb back down.

EDIT: I found a map from Dale for South Fork. It looks like the ride would be from the South Fork campground up to Mexican Hay lake, then back down the same way. What about continuing past the lake down to the other TH? Ever done that?
    Last edited by eatdrinkride; 08-04-2009 at 01:37 PM.

AZ
    banned
    Out and back from Southfork camp ground , or you can shuttle from Mexican Hay Lake .

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thanks for all the scoop on this interesting area. Planning for some miles this weekend!! Anyone going to be at Sunrise Saturday?

Members who have read this thread: 0