alternate 50 yr trail access- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

alternate 50 yr trail access

on a recent thread someone mentioned a trailhead up by miraval. can someone give some directions to its location. thanks

I bike, I brew
    "Lago Del Norte"...

Take Golder Ranch, just as you would be going to regular 50-Year... at the bottom of the big hill, at the 4-way stop sign (Lago Del Oro), take a left. Continue north on Lago Del Oro for approximately 1.8-1.9 miles - you'll see a open area on teh right - there is a turn-out immediately after a "40MPH" speed limit sign (maybe 35, because of upcoming hills, turns). This is a parking area, and you'll see an opening at the SE corner, with a trail indicator. Go through there - you'll pass what's left of a small brinck wall, then the trail will turn north... the trail is somewhat faint at this point, but you should see some bike tracks as well as horses (I ride through here 2-3 times per week).

You'll be riding about 10' away from the eastern fence line, behind a couple of homes. The trail goes between two large rail-road tie posts, immediately turning right through what appears to be a cattle chute. Where that chute appears to dead-end, there is a gate that opens up... the trail is more distinct here - but only until you get to the wash.

Basically cross the wash - you'll see bike tracks (and walking) in the sand- on the far side, you should see a faint trail... if not, just head prettu much due-east, and you will come to a pronounced trail that heads NNE... the trail finding is fairly faint here... but a little exploration in a NNE direction will eventually hook you up with the main trail from Miraval Resort, which turns towards the SE and then climbs up to meet where the exit from the Chutes is.

It's hard to get "lost"... keep the wash to your left, and eventually you'll hit those trails.

If you would like to hook up there some late afternoon (or Saturday morning), I'd be happy to show you the trail. I live right there, and will some day get the kids from my school club out there to do some sweat equity on the trail. It makes for a quick access to teh Chutes, upper 50 and such - and makes for a fun return back down, and a nice change from the regular Golder parking area.

send me a PM if you would like to hit it sometime.

Hank

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    thanks hank

I think we started off right but headed up some cow trail after the wash and ended up hike a bike into the neighborhood at the end of equestrian trail.

is the beginning of the trail a little downhill section of loose rock before turning toward the ranch area? sounds like the key is to head further ne instead of heading uphill after the wash.

thanks again, i am trying to link up a long loop from oro valley through the tortolitas to the 50 yr system and cps with minimal pavement. i will pm you next time we are heading up there.

I bike, I brew
    Yeah - I know exactly where you were... you needed to contine NE a bit further. You were on the next ridge to the west. Once you connect with the trail that comes out of Miraval, you can't miss the trail - lots of foot and bike traffic. While the climb up is steep, there isn't much (if any) hike a bike. Keep me posted!

Members who have read this thread: 0