mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Almosta Trail NW of Prescott and Horseman group

First things first. Has anyone biked the Almosta trail which starts in Inscription Canyon off Williamson Valley Rd? I was biking the roads in there today and found a trailhead and said it was a non-motorized trail. There were a couple horse trailers there and I know this is horse country so wasn't sure if bikes really were allowed on the trail.

I later found some information about the trail online and appears to be built by the Backcountry Horsemen of Central Arizona. After looking through their site, they mention they are dedicated to keeping trails open for all users but then you find the letter they sent about mountain bikers to everyone in March 2010. I had heard about a letter by a horse group last year but had never seen the contents. They consider bike speeds to "more approximate those of motor vehicles", bikes are more accurately viewed as high tech speed machines and belong on motorized trails and trail designations should be changed to mechanized and non-mechanized. They also quote a mountain biker as doing 63 mph (obviously not from around here as he also states kph) and some local bikers averaging 20 mph down 347 in Granite Basin.

I'll probably check out the trail further and not really worried about being confronted with a mature discussion. I'm just not sure how extreme this group really is. Maybe I should pack a gun?

-Doug

Some links:
    BCHCAZ website
    Map with Almosta trail
    Letter about mountain bikers
    Daily Courier article about group and Almosta trail

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Ive ridden the mentioned trail once. It is worth riding if you live in the area, however i rode it last year and havent been back. It sort of just ends at a very remote pretty area of mint wash,although there are some cow trails that kind of branch off of the main trail. The fact that it is short however does not take away from the fact that it is a very well built trail and i was REALLY wishing it kept on going. It took only about a half hour to get to the end of the trail. What i have found after sharing trails with horseback riders is that they are very grateful of bike riders who follow the "rules" of the trail which include yielding to them, and traveling at safe speeds. They also really appreciate a warning when approaching them from behind. Personally i find horseback trails to be far more challenging than the new mtb trails popping up all over Prescott...

My other ride is your mom
    Is it just me, or does this conversation reek of a plant by the Horeseman group? Buyer beware.......

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    Is it just me, or does this conversation reek of a plant by the Horeseman group? Buyer beware.......
    Sorry but it's just you I have YouTube biking videos (with the same alias) if you need any proof.

I often encounter horses in Granite Basin and have had no problems but with the recent letter to the editor from Mary in Paulden complaining about mountain bikers, that kind of stirred the pot. Since then PMBA had what sounds to be a positive meeting with one of the horse groups. For the Almosta trail, I wasn't sure of it's status as it's not biked (or at least discussed) by the groups I ride with. Considering the horse group secured the funding to build the trail, where as many of the other trails in the Prescott area I know are built and maintained by the mountain biking community (along with others so not to exclude), they could have the mentality that it's their trail.

Members who have read this thread: 0