Almost took myself out ...- Mtbr.com
    Meatbomb

Almost took myself out ...

Headed out for a ride up Taliesin this afternoon and my one mile commute to the trail has me crossing Via Linda which is 2 lanes each direction. It was busy and I had to wait a while for an opening to cross. I saw a break to my right and a school bus coming from my left with it's right turn signal on so i figured I could shoot the gap. I start to go and about half way across the first lane the bus honks at me and when I look at him the driver has his hand up in the STOP YOU DUMB MOFO position. Just then a little KIA comes racing along in the second lane

I never saw the car beside the bus and it would have been my fault for ruining his and my day if the bus driver had not been on the ball.

I plan to try to figure out who the driver was and make sure he gets a nice xmas tip this year and then replace the seat that was ruined by the pucker factor .

Be safe on your commutes to your trails peeps!!!!

zul
    Will Guide for Beer
    Frogger.

Glad it turned out ok.
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

Pivotal figure
    Never let your guard down...
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

"No Clue Crew"
    Protect yourself!!!.........Drew

lox
    mtbr member
    i tend to 'flow' through crossings, the less time spent in the road the better right?
    so i say to myself out-loud each time i approach one....
    "don't die for this"
    so far it's worked

good bus driver , glad you're here to jest about it hermano

How do I do that?
    Thank goodness for that bus driver My 4 mile (2x2) commute to the trail and back is when I 'presume every driver' is fiddling with their phones and drifting into the bike lane. Never let your guard down as Ken mentioned and have a little patience when crossing roads and intersections.

I've put myself in plenty of close call situations just because I was impatient and didn't take that extra few seconds or so to cross the street when I was younger. If I miss a gap in traffic now and have to wait 30 seconds or more, so be it. I'd rather get home in a few extra minutes then to take the long way home via the ER.

Good luck finding the bus driver, sounds like a proper thing to thank him

mtbr member
    Scary stuff, glad the bus driver had your back.

Dirt Merchant
    Too many times I have seen drivers drift into the bike lanes around Scottsdale and when I get up on them they are playing on their phones. I just moved from Michigan where they passed a handsfree law and a 'no texting' law. Should be something they start to consider here, especially with all the geriatrics on the road.

It's tempting to go get one of those lame helmet mirrors just to know what's coming up behind me on the road.
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

Mike in Apache Junction
    Glad it worked out for you. I just had a close call this morning. Took the day off work, went for a nice desert ride in the AJ equestrian area for about eight miles. Very nice out there during the week. Decided to take the asphalt back to the house for a two mile trek. Dam snowbird blew through a stop sign and cut me off. Dum asses didn't even try to slow down.
    Trying to keep the rubber side down, Mike

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Well you only do that once! Patience is your friend when might is right. There is little room for offense when on a bike, since the flesh to metal ratio is so high. Had many close calls myself, even when playing it safe. Glad it was only your shorts that met an untimely demise.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tplace
    Too many times I have seen drivers drift into the bike lanes around Scottsdale and when I get up on them they are playing on their phones. I just moved from Michigan where they passed a handsfree law and a 'no texting' law. Should be something they start to consider here, especially with all the geriatrics on the road.

It's tempting to go get one of those lame helmet mirrors just to know what's coming up behind me on the road.
    As some have pointed out in the recent past, what you and I consider a distraction, others consider "calming."
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Members who have read this thread: 0