Thread: An allarounder?

mtbr member

An allarounder?

What would the consensus say is the best all around 6" bike for around $2500 for the AZ desert? I'm passing my current bike to my wife since she's shown interest in riding with me and we're the same height. Plus it gives me a pass to buy a new ride

I understand that component wise, I won't be getting the best for that price but I can upgrade as the need arises. So far, I've only found the Giant Reign 1,2 for the given cost with decent parts. What else?

As everyone else is looking for, I'm looking for something that will climb to the top but will handle the descent nicely.

Shred...it's the new drug
    +1 on the reign!!!! That's what I was going to recommend. Or you could go with a Transition Covert, a little more $ but super sick!!!

mtbr member
    The covert was also on my list but comes in at $1k more than the Reign with similar parts. That's a tough one to swallow.

It's a large but looks good!
    http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/623371/

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    If you can find one still on the floor, a '10 Enduro Comp would fit the bill nicely as well.

mtbr member
    Find a used 08 & below Nomad.
    SHITBIRD

!@#$%&!
    This is like asking, "what's the best pickup truck?"

I really like my Diamondback Mission, but I think any big name All Mountain bike would be good. Specialized, GT, Kona, etc. Just go shopping and check 'em out.

bland
    I love my covert. It can handle way more than I thought it would. Whatever you get make sure it comes with a boostvalve rp23 shock. I run 30% sag and I have only bottomed it twice on some stupid moves.

+1 on the covert! I have a v1.5 and rode it like a DH bike last wed. mornin' on the shuttles. Put a lyrik on it and it's a totally different bike now. Was running a pike, but the lyrik is the way to go!!! Soooo smooth and sick...natty was my playground

Shovel Ready
    For 3K you could get a Titus El Guapo with a bling build! I rode the EG twice before fracturing my knee. I have not listed it yet as I really don't want to sell it. But this knee is giving me fits so I think it's best to part ways for now.

Currently at Mayo Clinic being tested for a kidney transplant. Donors welcome.

I've seen that guapo someplace before...tim tell me it's not true? That bike is sick!!! By that one....do it, do it, lyrik, lyrik...I would if I'm wasn't so broke from my latest feeding/bike buying frenzy

mtbr member
    What size is that el guapo? I'm only 5'8", so I'm in the Sm-Md size frame depending on builder.

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by latedropbob
    I've seen that guapo someplace before...tim tell me it's not true? That bike is sick!!! By that one....do it, do it, lyrik, lyrik...I would if I'm wasn't so broke from my latest feeding/bike buying frenzy
    Knee hurts just mashing up the hills on the greenbelt. My thinking is if in 8 months or more it heals up I can build something up. One issue I don't speak about is I have a kidney issue related to diabetes. Good chance my bones are getting weaker do to this. I get a bone density check in a month or so.

Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by dunerinaz
    What size is that el guapo? I'm only 5'8", so I'm in the Sm-Md size frame depending on builder.
    Medium - I'm 5-10, think 5 -8 would not be an issue.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    That EG is very nice. For $3k ... buy it.

good luck tim!!!

parenting for gnarness
    if you and your wife can share bikes, and dont always ride together, consider making a lighter and heavier bike. its awesome having the right bike for the right trail. There is no perfect 1 bike.

You can do ok at your price point but it helps to start with a year-end sale etc. I built my Kona Hei Hei 29er for that price - its not super duper fun on Somo descents like my 6inch bike, but can handle them fine as well as give me a great enduro\XC bike for everything else. I had my 6inch already, so wanted something that complemented it. If you are a trail\tech rider, than place more emphasis on that aspect of performance and sacrifice speed\weight.

The deal I have with my wife that let me get the xtra bike was she gets to ride it when we ride together, and i ride the 6er or my old XC bike. Works out pretty good for us.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    if you and your wife can share bikes, and dont always ride together, consider making a lighter and heavier bike. its awesome having the right bike for the right trail. There is no perfect 1 bike.

You can do ok at your price point but it helps to start with a year-end sale etc. I built my Kona Hei Hei 29er for that price - its not super duper fun on Somo descents like my 6inch bike, but can handle them fine as well as give me a great enduro\XC bike for everything else. I had my 6inch already, so wanted something that complemented it. If you are a trail\tech rider, than place more emphasis on that aspect of performance and sacrifice speed\weight.

The deal I have with my wife that let me get the xtra bike was she gets to ride it when we ride together, and i ride the 6er or my old XC bike. Works out pretty good for us.
    That makes sense. My bike now is a Haro Shift with upgraded shock and fork. I rides OK but the SP leaves a little to be desired. The rear gets super harsh when I'm on the brake and it's a horrible climber IMO. My wife will never be a techy rider so the Haro would work fine for her.

Without the disposable funds to have multiple use bikes, I'm in need of one that will be a compromise in all types of riding. I know there's no perfect do all bike but I need one that I can climb the mountain and come back down fast if I want. I'd love a more downhill specific bike, but getting shuttled to the top of the mountain does nothing for me getting better at technical climbs and getting in shape.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Reign or used Nomad. Love my Pivot FB, but pricier.................. I would reccomend FS

!@#$%&!
    That bike looks sick!

Quote Originally Posted by trb2929
    For 3K you could get a Titus El Guapo with a bling build! I rode the EG twice before fracturing my knee. I have not listed it yet as I really don't want to sell it. But this knee is giving me fits so I think it's best to part ways for now.

dunerinaz...if you can pedal your bike bike uphill you can rip it super fast downhill. I ride everything and love to shuttle, which is why I'm usually at the front of the pack when our shuttle group drops in. Nothing wrong with cheating on your uphills for a day to enjoy that tasty drug called gravity...mmmm...gravity

EDR
    I've seen El Guapo's (frame only) on Chainlove several times for 7 or 900 bucks. Get yourself signed up for auto desktop updates and keep an eye out for that screaming deal! Of course a nice build kit and a Lyrik will set you back another $1700.....ouch! Still a bargain.

Members who have read this thread: 0