LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015

AES Prescott Monstercross

I noticed they now have a shorter option, who was complaining? Whos all coming to this. 70 and sunny and a glorious day to ride. Hopefully its not just Courtney and I on the long route. The trails up here are definitely "smoother" than the past AES races should be a great time. Glad i came early because the altitude is something to adjust to. Hope to see everyone Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by LaneDetroitCity View Post
    I noticed they now have a shorter option, who was complaining? Whos all coming to this. 70 and sunny and a glorious day to ride. Hopefully its not just Courtney and I on the long route. The trails up here are definitely "smoother" than the past AES races should be a great time. Glad i came early because the altitude is something to adjust to. Hope to see everyone Saturday.
    The short course is the "senior" course - 50+ only.

As you've seen Prescott has some REALLY nice trails, but there will be plenty of climbing...

mtbr member
    The trails up here are definitely "smoother" than the past AES races .
    You should get some non smooth stuff on the 78 mile course.... don't worry...

The short course not so much rough... but still a hard ride for most riders...

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by RajunCajun44 View Post
    You should get some non smooth stuff on the 78 mile course.... don't worry...

The short course not so much rough... but still a hard ride for most riders...
    Its Prescott, there is no gnar. The Prescott gnar is a running joke around here. Its called Sedona.

mtbr member
    Its Prescott, there is no gnar. The Prescott gnar is a running joke around here. Its called Sedona.
    Go visit the Dells! Gnar beyond belief
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    How did we get from "non-smooth" to gnar? Oh yeah, LDCs need thump his chest with the slightest provocation. Not in your league, but I've yet to clean Mint Wash all in one ride. And there is the Dells. Start with Over the Hill and work up.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    How did we get from "non-smooth" to gnar? Oh yeah, LDCs need thump his chest with the slightest provocation. Not in your league, but I've yet to clean Mint Wash all in one ride. And there is the Dells. Start with Over the Hill and work up.
    Dont get sensitive. The trails here are very nice for what they are, i enjoy riding them. They are definitely smoother than Tortolitas, or the Azt near Antelope peak, or Sedona big loop, or Picketpost, or Kentucky camp etc. I was speaking in the context of the AES races where theu find the most blown out trails and the trails nobody rides and make a race course. Im sure there is *some gnar trails around here. It doesnt look like they are in the route though. All this is based on riding the trails and many conversations with locals, including members of OTH gang, Jim the owner of IronClad, several locals ive met out on rides, etc. You can only work with what you have. You should see what i say about the brown cement trails in Michigan. Its actually funny because i have cut ywo tires in Prescott and zero in the previous 6 months of riding im Arizona including the gnar'est of gnar. I thought they were so smooth i aired down a couple more psi for lateral traction and got caught out. I will say, trail 260, thats gnar, for sure. Thats what most AES races are for 50 miles.

Im going to ride the dells next week. We will see whats up. I love a challenge and being proved wrong. Wheres Mint Wash? I have the city map of all the trails. I was told Constellations is the most technical trail in Prescott.

Ahhh the pain....
    Dont get sensitive. The trails here are very nice for what they are, i enjoy riding them. They are definitely smoother than Tortolitas, or the Azt near Antelope peak, or Sedona big loop, or Picketpost, or Kentucky camp etc. I was speaking in the context of the AES races where theu find the most blown out trails and the trails nobody rides and make a race course. Im sure there is *some gnar trails around here. It doesnt look like they are in the route though. All this is based on riding the trails and many conversations with locals, including members of OTH gang, Jim the owner of IronClad, several locals ive met out on rides, etc. You can only work with what you have. You should see what i say about the brown cement trails in Michigan. Its actually funny because i have cut ywo tires in Prescott and zero in the previous 6 months of riding im Arizona including the gnar'est of gnar. I thought they were so smooth i aired down a couple more psi for lateral traction and got caught out. I will say, trail 260, thats gnar, for sure. Thats what most AES races are for 50 miles.

Im going to ride the dells next week. We will see whats up. I love a challenge and being proved wrong. Wheres Mint Wash? I have the city map of all the trails. I was told Constellations is the most technical trail in Prescott.
    Only part of both courses I've not ridden is the new Dells stuff... I'm sure there will be some interesting stuff in there. The long course detour out to west spruce isn't technical, just a little HAB. The other detour off the short course is through groom creek, up spruce mtn(still not tech), then the descent down SmithRavine.... Probably the most tech w lots of tire slicing rock... Still not bad at all.

mtbr member
    Sensitive? Me? Nah. Just that no one who rides Prescott would call it gnar. To claim there's a joke about it is, um.., specious. No matter. Mint Wash is the only black diamond trail in the Granite Basin area, and barely deserves that rating. Nice ride though, with a few very short gnarlite sections.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Sensitive? Me? Nah. Just that no one who rides Prescott would call it gnar. To claim there's a joke about it is, um.., specious. No matter. Mint Wash is the only black diamond trail in the Granite Basin area, and barely deserves that rating. Nice ride though, with a few very short gnarlite sections.
    Maybe our signals got crossed. What i was saying is when people ask where is the Prescott gnar, the locals reply, Sedona. As in, there aint none here. I was just repeating what they say. I have had people sing the praises of PMBA and OTH gang, and i have had people lambaste them saying the faster they become the "Under the ground gang" the sooner Prescott can get some more technical trails. This is pretty standard im sure for all areas, where some people want more technical trails and some want less. I see the same arguments with that guy Switchblade from Sedona. I wasnt trying to be rude or disrespect anybody who has poured their time and energy in to the trails. I heard there are some unmarked trails off 264 by the cattle guard if i want to get endurbro, i plan to check them out. I have to ride to the hitching post and then bomb down back to thumb butte rd or something. Thank you for all your work on the trails, they are definitely top class for what they are.

mtbr member
    The faster they become the "Under the ground gang" the sooner Prescott can get some more technical trails.
    It would be nice to get some more tech. The newest Dells trails are welcome a nod in that direction. But I question the logic of the above statement. The city and the local FS folks seem firmly committed to the multiuse trail concept and that's probably where most of the time and funding will go.

Glad you are appreciating our trails, but I deserve none of the credit. With work and family obligations, I barely have time to ride. Lame excuse, I know.
    Veni vidi velo!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Go visit the Dells! Gnar beyond belief
    Meh, super slow gnar, not really like getting out and riding trails in the mountains. Don't get me wrong, it's ok, but it's not like gnar on bigger trails. Not like coming down highline or private reserve.

Use to be a little more gnar in Thumb Butte, but they did a good job of eliminating most of that. When I was building trails they were very opposed to adding any features on the circle trail. Much later, after I left, the "sundog/P-mountain" trails are not "flow" in the definition that I'm used to and have experienced in other places. Flow includes jumps, table-tops, the odd smooth doubles, etc., nothing crazy with sharp rocks in between, but not devoid of features either. There was that section of Trail 40 where you head downhill and have a cool little steep roll-section that was fun. A couple other trails in Granite Basin have a few tech sections. The resistance to actually making mountain bike trails out in the mountains for all abilities is dumbfounding. Even here, we have a singletrack organization that I'm part of that gets trails built for ALL ability levels, meaning advanced stuff too. They do it in other states as well, like Washington. Even in other AZ areas. You can get some good descending out of Prescott, but good technical out in the mountains is somewhat hard to come by and getting anything challenging built out there seems to be an impossibility.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    I did forget about the old Boy Scout trail #126. Total chunky. Then there is 307 loop near groom creek. That said every riding area has a certain flavor to it based in large part on geology and geography along with how the trails were build and how much erosion has occurred.

As for the Dells. Yeah it not like other trails, but to say it has no gnar is not correct. It still requires high skill level to pull of along with a level of bravery. If you are looking for skill testing/skill building the ride in the Dells. It is actully pretty unique and you could say no place in flagstaff has riding like the Dells!
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Elitest thrill junkie
    307 has gotten significantly less chunky with the reroutes and many of the “chunky” trails that do or did exist were simply fall-line rock piles where the bushes just happened to be not growing, in other words not designed for any kind of backcountry travel, just left-overs from days long since gone. The steep sections on 62 were challenging to climb, but horrible to descend, this coming from someone that loves descending. THe drain/wash/halfpipe section was fun tho.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    whatever... i just like riding bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    307 has gotten significantly less chunky with the reroutes .
    Last time I rode 307 was august 2017. Seemed pretty much like it had always been. (last 3-4 years). The climb was alot of HAB. The descent (when ridden clockwise from the TH) was chunky fun. Could be ridden on a HT, but much more fun with suspension and a dropper. Then again there really quite a number of trails like this all over the state that you could ride with a HT, but can be more fun with suspension. There are really only a few where big travel is a MUST.
    Joe

Nov 2015
    260 was the craziest trail ive ridden in Arizona. Absolutely blown the f out sofball size rocks. Going 20+ mph. Its not super technical but its super fast and blown out. Never felt in control really. Trails like Milagrosa are much much much more technical but slower and more in control. 260 was 11 minutes of ," well this could kill me at any second". Not really a mtn bike trail, just a eroded blown out trail.Some people claim blown out trails are technical. Ive ridden lots of super technical trails that are maintained that way. The joke in prescott is, any rock you see in the trail, come back tnrw and it will be gone.

Meatbomb
    There are a lot of jokes in Preskitt

mtbr member
    260 was the craziest trail ive ridden in Arizona. Absolutely blown the f out sofball size rocks. Going 20+ mph. Its not super technical but its super fast and blown out. Never felt in control really. Trails like Milagrosa are much much much more technical but slower and more in control. 260 was 11 minutes of ," well this could kill me at any second". Not really a mtn bike trail, just a eroded blown out trail.Some people claim blown out trails are technical. Ive ridden lots of super technical trails that are maintained that way. The joke in prescott is, any rock you see in the trail, come back tnrw and it will be gone.
    Most people don't ride 260 for fun. Only when doing the Whiskey course. The reasons are 1) Trail sucks as it really moto ATV trail and for the reasons you state 2) it goes no where you want to be. Meaning that it does not connect to any thing cool. Just FR53 which is boring unless it is part of the race course. 3) No reason to even try to climb that crap. The old trail 62 was kind of crappy, but had its own twisted charm and could be used to connect to other trails and bigger rides. For example 299 rather sucks, but is a good connector to Smith Ravine 297 and 307. Those are fun to ride.
    Joe

Ahhh the pain....
    Whatever, I just hope there is a tailwind the whole way around the course tomorrow so I can snatch some KOM's.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Most people don't ride 260 for fun. Only when doing the Whiskey course. The reasons are 1) Trail sucks as it really moto ATV trail and for the reasons you state 2) it goes no where you want to be. Meaning that it does not connect to any thing cool. Just FR53 which is boring unless it is part of the race course. 3) No reason to even try to climb that crap. The old trail 62 was kind of crappy, but had its own twisted charm and could be used to connect to other trails and bigger rides. For example 299 rather sucks, but is a good connector to Smith Ravine 297 and 307. Those are fun to ride.
    This is spot on.

We used to shuttle 260 from Mt Francis on our DH bikes, either the top or the drop-in on the Mt Francis access road that hooked into 48. Shuttled Thumb Butte, Mt. Union, 307, etc. But everything we shuttled in Prescott pretty much sucked, the quality was just poor with the "trail" being an eroded mess of fall-line rocks most of the time. Massive uphill sections and lots of blown-out double-track and rock piles. Riding through baby-heads a few feet-deep gets old fast.

Some of these crappy trails were worth enduring to connect with better ones, especially on bigger XC rides, and thankfully that is being addressed with so many better connectors now, but it's also resulting in more bland riding and nothing seems to be happening to keep some challenge out there. I will say that Wolverton has turned into one of the better Prescott descents around, really fun to do the entire circle trail and finish on that.

There is lots of potential to have some cool stuff though, cool rock-rolls, incorporating features, etc. Before these modern times, we found some of these gems in places like Thumb Butte and Emmanuel Pines. There were some trails in a few places that have now been totally reclaimed by nature.

Ahhh the pain....
    Well that was a ton of "fun" yesterday... Did the mini and it was plenty of suffering for sure. Dells was a walk-fest for me on a rigid SS...cool to see some parts of the east side of willow lake I'd never seen, but it was not a place I'd want to take a bike! The rest of the course was cool...the new "west side story" was awesome and although I'm sure some locals don't like what was probably a cleansing of some social trails, it is damn fun.
    Finished that whole thing in about 6:35...kinda hurt.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Well that was a ton of "fun" yesterday... Did the mini and it was plenty of suffering for sure. Dells was a walk-fest for me on a rigid SS...cool to see some parts of the east side of willow lake I'd never seen, but it was not a place I'd want to take a bike! The rest of the course was cool...the new "west side story" was awesome and although I'm sure some locals don't like what was probably a cleansing of some social trails, it is damn fun.
    Finished that whole thing in about 6:35...kinda hurt.
    Nice job Ray. I agree, the Dells is not gnar or technical its just walking your bike! However that wasnt anything compared to once the long route split from the short and took me across thumb butte rd onto some illegal trail that was just a hiking trail. The trail up to 264 is not for bikes. Had people hiking on it and were questioning why i was on it with a bike. I tried to ride it and blew myself up and had to take a nice sit down in the shade, it was wide open with sun pounding on me. Then after got to outlook had to go down another unmarked possibly illegal trail till i got to the road again, then back onto bike trails. I destroyed a 300 dollar pair of shoes in first 35 miles, definitely not made for walking!!. Once i got to white spar campground and started on 396 and the route had me go onto another unmarked possibly illegal trail i said im done with that route and just did the short route back to the car. The only other guy that did the long route said he walked his bike about 12 miles of the route. I guess when you have a bikepacker making the route that means walking your bike for miles. I hike with my dog, not my bike. The rest of the route was super fun and definitely some very nice work on the trails. I dont know what they were before but all that stuff you saod the west side story and all that, those were super cool trails. After that when i left 324 until i joined back to marked trails were straight bullshit trails, that nobody rides. Not because they are unrideable per se, just because nobody does and if they did i would have seen tire tracks and remnants of people riding them. Sending us down Wolverton in the middle of Saturday afternoon was also questionable when there are 40 hikers coming up it and they all want you to come to a complete stop, getvoff your bike and have tea and biscuits with them while they ask why you are going so fast. Other aes routes avoided the busy trails in town. Right from the beginning when we crossed under 69 on circle trail people were running other riders off the trail, it was way too busy of an area to send 35 people down at once on Saturday afternoon. Had a lady screaming at me because the people that had just came through blew her off the trail, she was screaming about racing on the circle trail. It was a tough route, i just think it could have been better planned. Congrat s to all who came and participated.

mtbr member
    Nice job Ray. I agree, the Dells is not gnar or technical its just walking your bike! However that wasnt anything compared to once the long route split from the short and took me across thumb butte rd onto some illegal trail that was just a hiking trail. The trail up to 264 is not for bikes. Had people hiking on it and were questioning why i was on it with a bike. I tried to ride it and blew myself up and had to take a nice sit down in the shade, it was wide open with sun pounding on me. Then after got to outlook had to go down another unmarked possibly illegal trail till i got to the road again, then back onto bike trails. I destroyed a 300 dollar pair of shoes in first 35 miles, definitely not made for walking!!. Once i got to white spar campground and started on 396 and the route had me go onto another unmarked possibly illegal trail i said im done with that route and just did the short route back to the car. The only other guy that did the long route said he walked his bike about 12 miles of the route. I guess when you have a bikepacker making the route that means walking your bike for miles. I hike with my dog, not my bike. The rest of the route was super fun and definitely some very nice work on the trails. I dont know what they were before but all that stuff you saod the west side story and all that, those were super cool trails. After that when i left 324 until i joined back to marked trails were straight bullshit trails, that nobody rides. Not because they are unrideable per se, just because nobody does and if they did i would have seen tire tracks and remnants of people riding them. Sending us down Wolverton in the middle of Saturday afternoon was also questionable when there are 40 hikers coming up it and they all want you to come to a complete stop, getvoff your bike and have tea and biscuits with them while they ask why you are going so fast. Other aes routes avoided the busy trails in town. Right from the beginning when we crossed under 69 on circle trail people were running other riders off the trail, it was way too busy of an area to send 35 people down at once on Saturday afternoon. Had a lady screaming at me because the people that had just came through blew her off the trail, she was screaming about racing on the circle trail. It was a tough route, i just think it could have been better planned. Congrat s to all who came and participated.

i love this post.... you got your rough trails didn't you...

Nov 2015

i love this post.... you got your rough trails didn't you...
    Can you read? No, there were no rough mtb trails. There were hiking trais, illegal trails, busy trails, fun trails. Nothing about any of them were rough, or technical. There were trails that are not bike trails, that you had to walk your bike on because they are NOT bike trails. They are hiking trails. Not built for biking. Just because you have to walk your bike on a trail doesnt make it rough or technical. I suggest you look at the AES results for the past 5 events, then come ride with me before you try trolling me. Youre so far out of my league you shouldnt even be commenting. You couldnt ride from thumb butte rd up to 264 on a yz 250 dirt bike. You couldn't ride through the part of the Dells we did on one either. Im 6'2 and had to pick my bike up over my head, the world record bunny hop is 48", do the math. Equals not physically possible. I suggest you do more riding than talking because you are absolutely clueless about technical trail riding or riding gnar. I ride technical trails faster than 90pct of people. Key word, trails. Anybody can male a route randomly through the woods up some hill that its not built as a mtn bike trail. That doesnt make it rough or technical or gnar. It makes it a random trail up a hill. I had to ride through an occupied campsite to start one "trail". Thats your first clue its not a legal trail for mtn bikes. When the people i encounter say this "trail" is not open to bikes, thats your next clue. The actual legal marked trails in the route were smooth and fast, not rough, not technical, not gnar. In any way. Could have ridden a cx bike on the majority of them. You clearly lack any skill or riding experience if you think those were rough or technical. The route in totality of course was a long hard day on the bike with suffering, thats because im pushing harder than you could ever imagine in your life.

What was your finish time?

mtbr member
    Can you read? No, there were no rough mtb trails. There were hiking trais, illegal trails, busy trails, fun trails. Nothing about any of them were rough, or technical. There were trails that are not bike trails, that you had to walk your bike on because they are NOT bike trails. They are hiking trails. Not built for biking. Just because you have to walk your bike on a trail doesnt make it rough or technical. I suggest you look at the AES results for the past 5 events, then come ride with me before you try trolling me. Youre so far out of my league you shouldnt even be commenting. You couldnt ride from thumb butte rd up to 264 on a yz 250 dirt bike. You couldn't ride through the part of the Dells we did on one either. Im 6'2 and had to pick my bike up over my head, the world record bunny hop is 48", do the math. Equals not physically possible. I suggest you do more riding than talking because you are absolutely clueless about technical trail riding or riding gnar. I ride technical trails faster than 90pct of people. Key word, trails. Anybody can male a route randomly through the woods up some hill that its not built as a mtn bike trail. That doesnt make it rough or technical or gnar. It makes it a random trail up a hill. I had to ride through an occupied campsite to start one "trail". Thats your first clue its not a legal trail for mtn bikes. When the people i encounter say this "trail" is not open to bikes, thats your next clue. The actual legal marked trails in the route were smooth and fast, not rough, not technical, not gnar. In any way. Could have ridden a cx bike on the majority of them. You clearly lack any skill or riding experience if you think those were rough or technical. The route in totality of course was a long hard day on the bike with suffering, thats because im pushing harder than you could ever imagine in your life.

Saving this post for posterity

My other ride is your mom

You sound entitled...jus'sayin.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrt taco View Post
    Saving this post for posterity
    What was your finish time also?

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    You sound entitled...jus'sayin.
    Im definitely entitled. To my opinion.

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

mtbr member
    What was your finish time also?
    You need to get over yourself Lane, you give Stravaassholes a bad rep.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJm1y0o7MHc

Nov 2015

What was your fi ish time in the 2018 prescott monstercross aes event

Nov 2015
    If you have to ask, you can't afford it.
    What was your finish time in the prescott monstercross aes route 2018 version

mtbr member

you read me wrong... i agree with you... the only ding I have on you is you didn't know those AES courses are full of ridiculous hike a bike ... but really if you are special enough you can ride most of it.. I am nowhere near that special

They're also usually from out of state with names like RoadTulsaTown and spend tons of time mansplaining how this trail or that AES route is all wrong.

Ugh-Hugh......ok....tell me just how things should be since you've clearly carpetbagged your way into relevancy here in the past 6 months.

Welcome to the west....now STFU, HTFU, and spend the day(s) with your bike (ride, roll and carry) across this beautiful terrain we call home. If you can think of a better route without the HAB, I hear East Lansing has some available terrain.

They also like to throw gauntlents down....to which I say, I don't need to tell you my time on this or that because my 100% not giving a $hit beats your 8% faster.

There's one thing I can't stand in this universe, beyond wrongful death, herpes and clowns...it's hubris.

All of the RoadTulsaTown types are the same....defined by it.

Nov 2015
    They're also usually from out of state with names like RoadTulsaTown and spend tons of time mansplaining how this trail or that AES route is all wrong.

Ugh-Hugh......ok....tell me just how things should be since you've clearly carpetbagged your way into relevancy here in the past 6 months.

Welcome to the west....now STFU, HTFU, and spend the day(s) with your bike (ride, roll and carry) across this beautiful terrain we call home. If you can think of a better route without the HAB, I hear East Lansing has some available terrain.

They also like to throw gauntlents down....to which I say, I don't need to tell you my time on this or that because my 100% not giving a $hit beats your 8% faster.

There's one thing I can't stand in this universe, beyond wrongful death, herpes and clowns...it's hubris.

All of the RoadTulsaTown types are the same....defined by it.
    I suggest you do your reaserch before you talk. Ive ridden 2300 miles in Arizona since Dec 1st last year. On the most advanced, difficult trails in this state both up and down on my hardtail ss and geared. Posting some of the fastest recorded times on them. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and are jumping to some ridiculous conclusions. I never complained about the route, i offered my experience of the route. I didnt see you out there riding, cause you re more into making stupid comments then doing hard things. I live for challenges and am far from entitled. I come from the murer capital of America and most people are dead or in prison for life by my age. I earned everything i have in life through hard work and dedication, including my Strava times . Introduce yourself at the Flagstaff aes event and we can spend the day riding with each other and you can show me me all your mad skills.

Ummmm....ugh-k.

Nov 2015
    Ummmm....ugh-k.
    Your bike probably cost more than my bike, my van, and everything in it, yet you call me entitled. Youre the definition of entitled wannabe rider who trys to underplay for the overplay. Youre profile is ridiculous along with most of your posts. Telling me to harden up? Lol, that tells me everything i need to know. You couldnt survive 15 minutes in Detroit with that attitude. Dont confuse being a keyboard killer with real killers. Id like to see you ride your bike 5 miles on flat pavement in Detroit. You would be walking butt naked after 2.5

AES Prescott Monstercross-facts-about-8-mile7.jpg

Solid burn right there Rabbit!

mtbr member
    I suggest you do your reaserch before you talk. Ive ridden 2300 miles in Arizona since Dec 1st last year. On the most advanced, difficult trails in this state both up and down on my hardtail ss and geared. Posting some of the fastest recorded times on them. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about and are jumping to some ridiculous conclusions. I never complained about the route, i offered my experience of the route. I didnt see you out there riding, cause you re more into making stupid comments then doing hard things. I live for challenges and am far from entitled. I come from the murer capital of America and most people are dead or in prison for life by my age. I earned everything i have in life through hard work and dedication, including my Strava times . Introduce yourself at the Flagstaff aes event and we can spend the day riding with each other and you can show me me all your mad skills.
    I had to triple check to make sure that this wasn't a post by a parody account. Holy hell!

^^^^harumph!

mtbr member

And you call me sensitive? BTW your "experience" sounds an awful lot like complaining. Just sayin'.
    Veni vidi velo!

I am Walt
    those AES courses are full of ridiculous hike a bike
    Wow...what a thread to wake up and drink my coffee to!! So. Much. Epic.

I like the AES series, and hope to do more of the events, to explore and see some of the trails that I wouldn’t typically ride (did Ripsey to see that segment). That said, I, too, hate hike-a-bike, particularly, contrived HAB, and won’t do routes or events that include too much of it. Just not my thing (nor is bikepacking; I prefer a bed and a flat-screen TV...but I digress). I expect “some” HAB, either up or down, on difficult or remote routes, just not extended sections of it. If so, I don’t bother. Good for those who enjoy it, or put up with it...different strokes for different folks.

For the record, Lane is a good guy and a super-strong rider, and I like him. No filter, and you’ll always get his honest take. I’m good with that. It helps to meet him and ride with him, to get behind the internet persona (though I only got to ride with him for 12 seconds at the Ripsey event, before he was GONE!).

Good luck at the Whiskey, Lane! Kill it!
    Ride more; post less...

ok guys, how about we bring it down a notch.

Lane, Maad, is actually an alright guy. He used to be an AES regular. Maad, Lane is also an alright guy.

Unlike most of the folks piling on here I've actually spent some time talking to Mr. DetroitCity since we've both been attending most of the AES events this year. I find him to be passionate and definitely intense, but a lot of fun. He may not always come across great on MTBR - but many people struggle with tone on the interwebz.

I'm finding it rather instructive to watch as Lane adjusts to what some of us call endurance riding in AZ. Hike a bike? You betcha. Shitty trails - of course. But then in the mix there is always some awesomeness. I've done my share of bitching about the courses, even the ones I've had a hand in creating. Often, you have to go through some junk to get to the gold. But that's just part of the journey.

Maad, it is about time you made your return to AES. Come out to Aspen and show us how to shred your local trails. Afterwards, sit down and talk to Lane. It would be good to see you out there.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    ok guys, how about we bring it down a notch.

Lane, Maad, is actually an alright guy. He used to be an AES regular. Maad, Lane is also an alright guy.

Unlike most of the folks piling on here I've actually spent some time talking to Mr. DetroitCity since we've both been attending most of the AES events this year. I find him to be passionate and definitely intense, but a lot of fun. He may not always come across great on MTBR - but many people struggle with tone on the interwebz.

I'm finding it rather instructive to watch as Lane adjusts to what some of us call endurance riding in AZ. Hike a bike? You betcha. Shitty trails - of course. But then in the mix there is always some awesomeness. I've done my share of bitching about the courses, even the ones I've had a hand in creating. Often, you have to go through some junk to get to the gold. But that's just part of the journey.

Maad, it is about time you made your return to AES. Come out to Aspen and show us how to shred your local trails. Afterwards, sit down and talk to Lane. It would be good to see you out there.
    Good post, JZ!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

Ahhh the pain....
    All, I suggest you look at the intent of the AES series here... https://rockyroad5050.wordpress.com/
    We all have likes and dislikes when it comes to trails, riding vs some HAB, etc...If you asked each rider if they liked the course, you will always find some that didn't and those that loved it. You cannot please everyone. And as JeffZ will always point out, if you didn't like it, you will have your entry fee refunded.
    As someone who helps organize some of the events, routes are not chosen to be all rideable. Some may turn out that way, but there will most likely be some HAB, some sketchy ill-marked turns, some stuff that will make you wonder WTF is going on... but that's what this race series is...NOT just a test of your fitness, but a test of that plus your route finding skills, plus your mental toughness.
    There are plenty of other races out there for those wanting a pure XC type course. Epic, Zia, etc...
    I would suggest for anyone doing AES races to:
    1. Not wear your carbon soled expensive XC shoes
    2. Be ready for a nut punch at some point in the route
    3. Get good with route finding and GPS usage.
    4. Learn to HTFU when everything goes to $hit

The people that put these routes together and facilitate these little races are doing this on their own time.

Lastly, I'm the dude that sets up the next course in Flag...get ready for a nut punch.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    For the record, Lane is a good guy and a super-strong rider, and I like him.

I keep hearing that and I believe it but based on his posts most people would probably guess the opposite. If Lane's such a good guy then why the @hole persona behind the keyboard? I'm not complaining because it's kind of entertaining.
    I brake for stinkbugs

Nov 2015
    All, I suggest you look at the intent of the AES series here... https://rockyroad5050.wordpress.com/
    We all have likes and dislikes when it comes to trails, riding vs some HAB, etc...If you asked each rider if they liked the course, you will always find some that didn't and those that loved it. You cannot please everyone. And as JeffZ will always point out, if you didn't like it, you will have your entry fee refunded.
    As someone who helps organize some of the events, routes are not chosen to be all rideable. Some may turn out that way, but there will most likely be some HAB, some sketchy ill-marked turns, some stuff that will make you wonder WTF is going on... but that's what this race series is...NOT just a test of your fitness, but a test of that plus your route finding skills, plus your mental toughness.
    There are plenty of other races out there for those wanting a pure XC type course. Epic, Zia, etc...
    I would suggest for anyone doing AES races to:
    1. Not wear your carbon soled expensive XC shoes
    2. Be ready for a nut punch at some point in the route
    3. Get good with route finding and GPS usage.
    4. Learn to HTFU when everything goes to $hit

The people that put these routes together and facilitate these little races are doing this on their own time.

Lastly, I'm the dude that sets up the next course in Flag...get ready for a nut punch.
    Will the course be marked and will there be aid stations along the way? Freako already warned me and gave me some shoes to check out. Looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Lane-- when I said I loved your post, I wasn't being sarcastic btw.... i really did like it

Nov 2015
    Lane-- when I said I loved your post, I wasn't being sarcastic btw.... i really did like it
    Well obviously i didnt take it that way. I went in on you thinking something different. Sorry to adress you in a negative way.

mtbr member
    Isn't the AES a grass roots endurance beat down? Correct me if I'm wrong but these are not sanctioned permitted events yet occur on public land. Part of the way to pull them off is to use the less travelled routes to minimize user conflict. HAB and suffering are part of that equation. It's all about camaraderie and enjoying a shared (painful) experience with your fellow riders that enjoy that sort of thing.

Lane if you don't like the route then get involved with the organization and planning.

mtbr member
    Well obviously i didnt take it that way. I went in on you thinking something different. Sorry to adress you in a negative way.
    it took some guts to be critical of the course layout... and even though I did not ride that course, I certainly believe everything you said.

mtbr member
    AES = Assume the position = HAB. Always every ride has HAB and WTF moments. It is part of the charm. We ride stuff most people don't ride . Lane I have to wonder what you would have made of the old McDowell's course. 45 min HAB up Tom's Thumb and suicide slide down the other side.

AES events teach you few things.

1) How to follow GPS. If you can't you will never finish one of these
    2) How to efficiently hike a bike. These are never sanitized XC "Endurance" races. You will spend time HAB and bring the right HAB shoes and prepare to assume the position. Learn to love it.
    3) You are on your own. Trails can be narrow crappy and alot of "hiking" trails. That is what backcountry riding is even if it is in the "City".
    4) They are always a kick in the nuts and if you don't spend at least some time wondering "WTF you are doing out here" and and "This sucks I want to call my mommy!" you are not getting the full experience.

That said stick with them and they will make you stronger. Not so much physically, but mentally. It is easy enough to be physically strong enough for AES, but mentally strong enough.. That is much harder.

BTW... I am proud to say I have never DNF'ed (or short cut) and AES event. I have however had some dark moments on these rides, but always managed to finish. That helped on when I did the Arizona trail 300 last year. Finished it first time out in a respectable time all made possible by the AES beatdowns I have endured in the the past.

Too bad I could not make this one due to my schedule. I do look forward to the kick in the nuts Ray will provide for the AES Aspen.
    Joe

Ahhh the pain....
    AES events are NOT for everyone. Personally I LOVE them but hate the other organized crap that suffer from category bloat and bland courses. But let's move on...a little preview for the Aspen Asphyxiation Race...
    1. There will be fun, fast singletrack
    2. There will be at least 2 very easy to miss turns on faint trails
    3. There will be some HAB (a little)
    4. After the bulk of the climbing, there will be some nasty, rocky stuff that will make you hate me (but IDGAF)
    5. There is a camp store with ice cream on route
    6. This race will happen unless the forest is closed due to fire danger.

Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Isn't the AES a grass roots endurance beat down? Correct me if I'm wrong but these are not sanctioned permitted events yet occur on public land. Part of the way to pull them off is to use the less travelled routes to minimize user conflict. HAB and suffering are part of that equation. It's all about camaraderie and enjoying a shared (painful) experience with your fellow riders that enjoy that sort of thing.

Lane if you don't like the route then get involved with the organization and planning.
    You speak to the genesis of my post. In all the past aes evnts we avoided the main super busy trails. Thats why this route was something i was saying, why did we use the busiest trails in town on probably the busiest riding day of year in Prescott? The stuff i went on extra of course they were not busy, and most likely "illegal" or some gray area. I was definitely "complaining" about so much traffic and us using the busiest trails. I was definitely not complaining about having to walk, i was just sharung my experience of what some call bike riding i call hiking. I still went out there and did it. I will still be at the other one. In my first aes race one day after getting to Arizona i got lost and did an extra 20 miles and went 3hrs without water, still found my way back to my van, and showed up at all the next ones. Did i go home crying with my tail between my legs? No. I learned, got wiser and "tougher", came back more prepared and pushed my limits some more. Far from some entitled pampered baby as some are trying to suggest. Im the first one to show up and the last one to leave after telling everyone great job and sharing stories of the ride. I dont sit around and complain or junp in my truck and leave as soon as im done crying about the course. Far from it. I was sharing my experience. I spent 8.5 hrs riding my bike, how can i complain about the tha. Of course there were highs and lows of the ride. Sharing them was just the same as siting around after and sharing stories except this time nobody stuck arouund to share stories and misery and happiness. It is wjat it is though, you try trolling me, i come right back at you. I am not here for entertainment or to tryvand win the internet.

mtbr member
    Sure sounds like complaining to me. Complain loud enough and the land managers will get wind of it and shut the whole thing down. And you throw shade at the trails in a riding locale of which you had nothing to do with helping to advocate for, build, or maintain. Really?

It took 5+ years to get a permit to run a legal 2-day enduro race in Flagstaff. Just say'n. Take your lumps and move on. Or get involved and make a difference.

mtbr member
    This is some funny chit! When I made the original Prescott Monster cross loop most of what you guys road didn't exist! It was hard just to make a 50 mile loop of town on mostly dirt! That was back in 2008 I think. Every year we would add a little and change alittle. Now we have literally hundreds of mile of new trail and people are still bitching one way OR the other. I just find this all kinda funny and this is why I just ride alone now and avoid other people.

Nov 2015
    Sure sounds like complaining to me. Complain loud enough and the land managers will get wind of it and shut the whole thing down. And you throw shade at the trails in a riding locale of which you had nothing to do with helping to advocate for, build, or maintain. Really?

It took 5+ years to get a permit to run a legal 2-day enduro race in Flagstaff. Just say'n. Take your lumps and move on. Or get involved and make a difference.
    Surely you are confused. Its not me you need to worry about complaining, its the old ladies that the vassago racerboys rode of the trail and had screaming at me about racing on the curcle trail, the dozens of hikers who got blown off the trail on wolverton, the dog walkers on the peavine trail, the frisbee golfers by the boat launch, the hikers in the dells, the handful of riders by the college, the groups of horseback riders on 318 by white rock, the hikers i encountered on some "fainter" trail who gave me a speech about being on a trail they specifically hiking on to avkide the hordes of idiot bike riders that come to town, the groups of hikers on 396. Thats who you need to worry about complaining. Somehow thats all being missed when its the most OBVIOUS point of my whole post. Instead its me complaining.

As far as throwing shade on Preskitt trails? No. I was repeating what the locals say. Any of these trails are better than most of Michigan. I have said multiple times they are very nice for what they are. Its not like you can go to the rock quarry and bring in dunp trucks full of rocks to build rock gardens. You must be a trail builder because the y have the biggest rabbit ears of any group. They do all the work and rarely ever get credit. Thats the path you choose. Thats the essence of volunteering, giving a part of yourself for nothing in return. Too many trail builders think they built the trails so they should be carried around in a chariot. I appreciate all the work they do. I paid my money to the arizona trail, joined torca in tuscon, i use the trails, its no big deal. The part that doesnt get mentioned is peole donate money but have no say in the way the trails are built. I was trying to be a trail coordinator back in Michigan, i wasnt a good enough politician i was told. So im a registered volunteer with the Michigan dnr and adopted a trail and maintained it for a whole summer. You have no idea about any of the stuff i do. Ill see you at the aes in flag and you can then form and impression of me.
    Last edited by LaneDetroitCity; 04-23-2018 at 12:14 PM.

IPA tester
    Roads lead to and from AZ. If it's so crappy y'all might wanna try one out. Might grab a KOM doing so
    "We'll ride it until they pave it."

-Urban Yeti
    Dirttreaders.com

mtbr member
    Well said!

mtbr member
    .. why did we use the busiest trails in town on probably the busiest riding day of year in Prescott? ..
    Look I have ridden Wolverton trail many many many times. I have NEVER seen 40 hikers on it. In fact I have NEVER seen a hiker on it at all. That said 40 hikers in big group could very easily happen if we just happened to be there on the same day.

Lane you did quite a lot of complaining in this thread. Every AES course is labor of love by some person or small group. We do the best we can to create a route that is worth of an adventure. People will always complain that is too hard or too easy etc. Prescott has always been one of my favorites even if I can't make it on the day of the event. The course some times needs to traverse stuff that is boring as snot or hard just to complete it and make a loop. This is never as easy as it looks after the fact. There is always parts the course the designer would rather not use, but is basically forced to use to get from point A to Point B. Plus there is always a bit of toughness that needs to put in the courses. For many just finishing is an accomplishment. Complain if you will, but don't expect to not get called out on some of the complaining either. I will also add that on occasion a course or part of course is just wrong. Constructive criticism is good to address those areas and an effort to improve things.
    Joe

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I was going to post something, but god knows I don't ride bikes anymore hardly so my opinion is not valid. Just wanted to say thanks to the organizers who put these routes together. I know it's gotta be challenging coming up with stuff especially in busy recreation areas.

Nov 2015
    Look I have ridden Wolverton trail many many many times. I have NEVER seen 40 hikers on it. In fact I have NEVER seen a hiker on it at all. That said 40 hikers in big group could very easily happen if we just happened to be there on the same day.

Lane you did quite a lot of complaining in this thread. Every AES course is labor of love by some person or small group. We do the best we can to create a route that is worth of an adventure. People will always complain that is too hard or too easy etc. Prescott has always been one of my favorites even if I can't make it on the day of the event. The course some times needs to traverse stuff that is boring as snot or hard just to complete it and make a loop. This is never as easy as it looks after the fact. There is always parts the course the designer would rather not use, but is basically forced to use to get from point A to Point B. Plus there is always a bit of toughness that needs to put in the courses. For many just finishing is an accomplishment. Complain if you will, but don't expect to not get called out on some of the complaining either. I will also add that on occasion a course or part of course is just wrong. Constructive criticism is good to address those areas and an effort to improve things.
    There were two other aes riders ahead of me and one behind me on wolverton, feel free to gt their confirmation of the two large groups of hikers nd couple groups of two hikers. Then ask El freako about the 12 horse trailers in the white rock parking lot, he passed through as they were unloading, i passed through as they were starting up 318. Ask Jim and Don about the hikers in the granite basin area who the lady fell down when she stepped off the trail, ask them about tge mom and two young kids on west side story, ask your vassago buddies about running ladies off the trail near where we went under 69. Then maybe youll take it as constructive criticism and not complaining.

They also need to remove the word race from anywhere on the aes website. Its either a race or its not. Some days it is sime it isnt. Too much room for interpretation.

mtbr member
    Lane if it is not fun.. Don't go. Pretty simple. And if you did not like it reach out AES management for a refund of your entry fee.

Yes the trails are open to all and sometimes there is traffic. Respect the others and all will be fine.
    Joe

mtbr member
    You must be a trail builder because the y have the biggest rabbit ears of any group. They do all the work and rarely ever get credit. Thats the path you choose. Thats the essence of volunteering, giving a part of yourself for nothing in return. Too many trail builders think they built the trails so they should be carried around in a chariot. I appreciate all the work they do. I paid my money to the arizona trail, joined torca in tuscon, i use the trails, its no big deal. The part that doesnt get mentioned is peole donate money but have no say in the way the trails are built. I was trying to be a trail coordinator back in Michigan, i wasnt a good enough politician i was told. So im a registered volunteer with the Michigan dnr and adopted a trail and maintained it for a whole summer. You have no idea about any of the stuff i do. Ill see you at the aes in flag and you can then form and impression of me.
    ok, fair enough. But no you won't see me at the AES. That's not my cup of tea but I'm more than happy to go out for a 2-4 hour ride and shred the gnar with another bro-gnar. That is, unless I'm busy neutering trails.

Nov 2015
    Lane if it is not fun.. Don't go. Pretty simple. And if you did not like it reach out AES management for a refund of your entry fee.

Yes the trails are open to all and sometimes there is traffic. Respect the others and all will be fine.
    Who said it wasnt fun? I was just pointing out some major variances between this route and the past 5 routes i did. Now im a complaining cry baby. I did mpre miles than all but one guy. Its not like i didnt ride 68 miles, and just said this is stupid and went home. I rode my bike all day, thats amazing. I was trying to give some feedback on my experience. My bad. Ill jist let all the people complain to the forest service and not try and start a discussion about some things i saw out there there didnt fit the norm of the aes events i experienced. I came here from Detroit specific to the aes evnts all winter instead of sitting in my house riding a trainer or riding around with a frozen penis all day.

Nobody should feel offended, or think im dissing the aes in any way. Im simply stating that it was the busiest weekend in Prescott as told by locals, and we were out there in large numbers at high speeds and there may have been some friction. My personal experience is irrelevant because i didnt conflict with any users because i respect the right of way and use a bell and walk past horses woth my helmet off talking ou loud. I guarantee nobody conplained about my trail etiquette. As long as i was allowed on that trail up to 264, i have nothing to worry about. I was speaking based on the totality of the days events. Leave my personal experience out of it.

Nov 2015
    ok, fair enough. But no you won't see me at the AES. That's not my cup of tea but I'm more than happy to go out for a 2-4 hour ride and shred the gnar with another bro-gnar. That is, unless I'm busy neutering trails.
    Haha, i never said ANYTHING about you neutering trails. Lets ride some gnar bro then ill come to flagstaff and you can show me around.

Ahhh the pain....
    Lane, the "model" we are using here in AZ for this underground racing is the same one used in New Mexico, Colorado and California... It works and works pretty darn well as long as we respect all other trail users. I think you'll find that the racer boy mentality doesn't work too well on these since we are not racing on closed trails and have to show some courtesy. Does everyone do that? There's always gonna be a some that won't. Hell, I almost got hit by two riders head on that were going downhill in full enduro mode.
    So, as Joe said, if you don't like it, don't show up.
    I don't think calling the Vassago guys toolbags is proper nor is complaining about the route choice...just back it off a notch and if you have feedback, send it directly to the appropriate person, maybe not a public rant on MTBR.
    I've been doing the AES events for over 5 years and talked with MANY folks who have done them...I can tell you that your opinion voiced above is NOT what the majority of people feel about the events.
    Lastly, I too have done my share of IPA fueled ranting on social media...it seems to never end well. In your case, I think I'd put the phone down and go ride. Let people form their opinions of you from your face to face interactions with them.

mtbr member
    The only time I did this event was maybe 4 years ago. Rode it on a rigid SS. Had a blast traversing the Dells and riding spots I used to haunt in high school. Had to DNF after 50 miles because body just wasn't working.

I still had a blast, HAB and all. Kudos to everyone involved setting these up. Now that the household is healthy again, I hope to do some more AES events.

As for it being the busiest weekend in Prescott?

Not even close.....
    If you're lucky enough to be in the mountains,
    you're lucky enough.

Lastly, I too have done my share of IPA fueled ranting on social media...it seems to never end well. In your case, I think I'd put the phone down and go ride. Let people form their opinions of you from your face to face interactions with them.
    Harrumph

DFL>DNF>DNS
    BTW... I am proud to say I have never DNF'ed (or short cut) and AES event. I have however had some dark moments on these rides, but always managed to finish. That helped on when I did the Arizona trail 300 last year. Finished it first time out in a respectable time all made possible by the AES beatdowns I have endured in the the past.
    What?!? Not one DNF?? While impressive, I feel like a route designing failure. Apparently, AES needs more HTFU in the routes, if only to give JoePAz a DNF.

Sorry Ray, looks like I'll be keeping my 2018 0-for-AES streak going. Still nursing the 'ol Achilles back into form. Keeping my rides short and easy lately. I can't wait to get back at it, so looking forward to the next beatdown. It may have to be something a little 'extra special' to make up for lost time.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post
    What?!? Not one DNF?? While impressive, I feel like a route designing failure. Apparently, AES needs more HTFU in the routes, if only to give JoePAz a DNF.
    Ha ha

Come at me bro!
    Joe

mtbr member
    Ha ha

Come at me bro!
    Throw some hands! Hey, you doing the Flag Enduro again this year? 8 stages this time.

mtbr member
    Throw some hands! Hey, you doing the Flag Enduro again this year? 8 stages this time.
    No. Sadly I am not. I have my daughter that weekend. So I will not unless something changes.
    Joe

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by schillingsworth View Post

Sorry Ray, looks like I'll be keeping my 2018 0-for-AES streak going. Still nursing the 'ol Achilles back into form. Keeping my rides short and easy lately. I can't wait to get back at it, so looking forward to the next beatdown. It may have to be something a little 'extra special' to make up for lost time.
    I'm in the same boat as Joe, never had to DNF yet. I have plenty of DFL though and haven't done as many as he has, so his streak is pretty impressive. Hopefully your Achilles continues to heal up JS. I've really missed the big rides this year. Well hell, any rides at all

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    Lane totally missed out on the Sedona big frighten loop event. That was your chance to go head to head with some Strava pros and AZT record holders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meatbomb
    Lame would have dropped the pros on the first climb....

mtbr member
    Dunno, pretty sure Hiline is a hiking trail not a biking trail. And some of those trails are probably illegal.