AES: Picketpost Punisher Roll Call!!- Mtbr.com
    DFL>DNF>DNS

AES: Picketpost Punisher Roll Call!!

Yep, 'tis the season. Registration for Picketpost is also LIVE!! Get on it.

Sat. Nov. 19th Picketpost TH (4 miles west of Superior on US60)
    A Course starts at 5am (74 miler)
    B & C start at 7:30am (55 & 36 milers)

AES: Picketpost Punisher

Personally, I'm still undecided on what route I'm going to do or if I'll just go off and do something completely different, but I'll be out there one way or another. I've done the A Course the past two years & finished so late each time everyone was long gone. I'd like to hang out at the finish this year, but really love the current A route, decisions, decisions. I know Jeff Z is doing the A Course!! Get it Jeffro!! I think Raybum is due for an updated A Course run....
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    May 2005
    John,

I'm reluctantly signing up for the "A" route... so I guarantee you that you won't be last. I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty intimidated by this one for some reason. I know last year's route was way better than the one prior... but I know it's gonna be damn tough.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmike2112 View Post
    I'm reluctantly signing up for the "A" route...
    Awesome!! Hmmm, maybe I'll ride with you. Something to consider. I just needed to eat better on last year's ride, I bonked pretty hard on the return by the river and paid for it on the climb out of the Gila Valley.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    This could be a good way to break up the drive to Moab for T-giving!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Awesome!! Hmmm, maybe I'll ride with you. Something to consider. I just needed to eat better on last year's ride, I bonked pretty hard on the return by the river and paid for it on the climb out of the Gila Valley.
    I'm pretty sure I'd have to count on you bonking in order to keep up! But yeah if you make it out I'll see you there.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    I am debating the C loop.

mtbr member
    Ooo! I think I'll give the A ride another run. Thanks for the reminder. The long ride season in the desert is here!

Ahhh the pain....
    In for A... It HAS to be easier than that cluster f*&k of the old A loop...that one came close to killing me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    That's a really good ride... lot's of great singletrack in that one...

Always in the wrong gear
    I will be signing up for the A route, but a pending work conflict is hindering my plans. I hope to see you all there!
    Salsa El Mariachi SS

Flat Tire Bike Shop, Cave Creek, AZ

In for A. Finishing before Raybum.

😃

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    In for A... It HAS to be easier than that cluster f*&k of the old A loop...that one came close to killing me.
    Well, that WAS the goal of that route...how can I crush Raybum?
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Coondog#77 View Post
    I will be signing up for the A route, but a pending work conflict is hindering my plans. I hope to see you all there!
    Hope that gets resolved. Would love to see you out there man!

mtbr member
    John,

I'm reluctantly signing up for the "A" route... so I guarantee you that you won't be last. I'm not gonna lie, I'm pretty intimidated by this one for some reason. I know last year's route was way better than the one prior... but I know it's gonna be damn tough.
    The A ride is big big ride. the B is huge too. Toughest AES ride I have done. IMHO tougher than Kentucky camp, McDowells, Prescott Mini, Aspen. I can't compare to Sedona BFL since I have not done that one. Personally I will be going around in circles for 12hrs of Fury that weekend.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    The A ride is big big ride. the B is huge too. Toughest AES ride I have done. IMHO tougher than Kentucky camp, McDowells, Prescott Mini, Aspen. I can't compare to Sedona BFL since I have not done that one. Personally I will be going around in circles for 12hrs of Fury that weekend.
    Yeah Joe I know I am getting into something huge. I'm plenty weary about it, but I figure it has to be done - the 300 is looming large on the horizon...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Here's the stream flow data for the Gila River for those doing the A route.

Gila River flow @Kelvin

For reference, a flow of 135 CFS was about mid-quad on me. I'm 6'2.

The deepest part of the crossing is the initial drop into the river. It's slippery silt, but there's a solid base under the 6 inches of muck as long as you keep your footing!! Once you get in and stabilize yourself, it's an easy crossing.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman View Post
    Ooo! I think I'll give the A ride another run. Thanks for the reminder. The long ride season in the desert is here!
    Oops. forgot about some family plans. I'm out...

Ahhh the pain....
    Here's the stream flow data for the Gila River for those doing the A route.

Gila River flow @Kelvin

For reference, a flow of 135 CFS was about mid-quad on me. I'm 6'2.

The deepest part of the crossing is the initial drop into the river. It's slippery silt, but there's a solid base under the 6 inches of muck as long as you keep your footing!! Once you get in and stabilize yourself, it's an easy crossing.
    well, since I hate to ride in a wet chamois, i'll be stripping down nude to get across. Cover your eyes Jeffro....oh wait, you'll still be back in Martinez Canyon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    It is your neighborhood Arizona Trail Steward. If anyone is willing to come out and help lopper back some vegetation I could use the help on Nov. 5 for 18b (Reavis Canyon to Montana Mt.) I've got Montana Mt. mostly done this weekend with a few volunteers for my work day. Previous Sunday got the first half completed in the Reavis Canyon. That leaves me only from Mud Spring to base of Montana Mt. left. Let me know if anyone would be willing to come out and help.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crashlongjohns View Post
    It is your neighborhood Arizona Trail Steward. If anyone is willing to come out and help lopper back some vegetation I could use the help on Nov. 5 for 18b (Reavis Canyon to Montana Mt.) I've got Montana Mt. mostly done this weekend with a few volunteers for my work day. Previous Sunday got the first half completed in the Reavis Canyon. That leaves me only from Mud Spring to base of Montana Mt. left. Let me know if anyone would be willing to come out and help.
    I'm guessing that the majority of this crowd will be down at the AES Kentucky Camp race that day. Thank you for your hard work to get the trail in a more rideable state before our event!

mtbr member
    Oh, and I'm in for the C-route again this year, although I think I'll skip the hour long beer break that we took in the middle of the race last year and actually ride the course in a respectable amount of time!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    Shawn, I'm very likely going to do the C route and depending on how I'm feeling, maybe the B route. I'll ride with you if you need some slow company!
    Shit happens...

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    We are doing the C route..We prerode the C route on Sat (11/5), we have never done FR4 (Telegraph Canyon Road) so we wanted to check that out..The 60 construction is not interfering with FR8 and they still have the entrance on Silver King Mine Rd, on the 60 getting to Mary Dr might be interesting because we rode down a new lane that they had the gravel base but who knows how far they will get in a couple of weeks.

mtbr member
    well, since I hate to ride in a wet chamois, i'll be stripping down nude to get across. Cover your eyes Jeffro....oh wait, you'll still be back in Martinez Canyon.
    With all that chromium in the river, you might as well strap a 9V battery to your testicles and get them electroplated while crossing.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Eff! I'm out for the Saturday 11/19 running of the "A" course. Family stuff. I'll be doing an ITT on the Tuesday after the official event. Bummer was hoping to see you guys and meet some new people. Good luck to everyone giving it a go.

mtbr member
    Eff! I'm out for the Saturday 11/19 running of the "A" course. Family stuff. I'll be doing an ITT on the Tuesday after the official event. Bummer was hoping to see you guys and meet some new people. Good luck to everyone giving it a go.
    Don't feel bad Mike. Last year John did the A ride and most of us never saw him just his car. Started early and finished late.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Don't feel bad Mike. Last year John did the A ride and most of us never saw him just his car. Started early and finished late.
    Yeah I was hoping to see people at the beginning though!! No doubt I wouldn't see anyone at the end!

mtbr member
    Good Luck Mike and all the other "A" riders. That is probably one of the hardest AES "one day" rides.
    Joe

Always in the wrong gear
    Hoping to see some of you Friday night, I'll be camped at the Trailhead (white Subaru Crosstrek). Stop by and say Hi! Otherwise I'll see who ever is left Saturday evening. Enjoy the ride everyone!
    Salsa El Mariachi SS

mtbr member
    I am probably out. We are going to head through St George en route to Moab instead to ride with some friends there. I'm planning to head back thru AZ and ride in Sedona or ?? next Sunday to break up the drive home. Good luck to all the riders!

mtbr member
    I'm out since I need to watch the kiddos while the wife takes care of some things. I may stop by Picketpost later in the day with the kiddos to hang out for a bit.
    Shit happens...

mtbr member
    Good Luck Rob!
    Joe

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Forecast is looking nice, almost a bit too warm!! River levels are low as of this writing, but can change in an instant.

I'll have check-in sheets on a clipboard for A, B & C course riders at the back of my car. B & C riders, I'll use the the 7:30a time as the start for everyone, unless someone notes what time everyone departs the re-grouping area after the neutral start on Hewitt Station rd.

Bring chairs, food, drink for post-ride hang out. Stay a while, watch the A course nutjobs wobble into the finish!!

Work is trying to thwart my ride plans for tomorrow, gah!! Haven't been on the bike since Kentucky Camp, should make things interesting....
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Good luck everyone. I'll be out there Tuesday...

mtbr member
    have fun everyone... wishing you all safe travels

It turned out to be a stunning day to be out on a bike. A bit on the windy side, but it seems to always be that way. This particular race is a bit on the challenging side, so congrats to all who participated.

Results are up.
    https://rockyroad5050.wordpress.com/...isher-results/

Still waiting to hear back from Rob - will post his finish when we get that.

mtbr member
    How did the A ride go on a single speed? With all the dirt road it seems like it would be brutal. I bet the winds on on the East bound riding south of the Gila were tough to deal with. Last year there were favorable winds all day.

Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    It turned out to be a stunning day to be out on a bike. A bit on the windy side, but it seems to always be that way. This particular race is a bit on the challenging side, so congrats to all who participated.

Results are up.
    https://rockyroad5050.wordpress.com/...isher-results/

Still waiting to hear back from Rob - will post his finish when we get that.

3 of the 4 A riders were single speed. I didn't feel like it made much difference since we were always climbing or descending. No flat spinning.

I will say the route was slower/tougher than I expected - despite the fact that we've ridden all of those sections on many other occasions. Seems like the AZT got chewed up a bit by summer storms. There were some new ruts across the trail going down the cayon to the river and it just seemed rougher over all.

It was windy for real - but not like on Montana Mountain. The wind shifted all around but was most annoying on the climb to F-K highway.

Nancy and I dnf'ed due to a fall she took before the big climb out of the Gila. Fortunately her helmet and pack took the brunt of falling into a bunch of rocks, but she hit her hip good. It just hurt too much to climb after that. We definitely would have finished otherwise, but not until around 9pm.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Sorry to hear about Nancy, Jeff. How did you guys manage to get out of there?

fortunately, we were not too far from the water crossing at Cochran. Cell service is limited at best out there, but managed to get a text to John who drove an hour and a half from Picket Post to Cochran to come get us. Otherwise we'd have had no option but to limp back.

That's what you call a real friend. But that's how John rolls.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Gotcha - I was trying to figure out the best way to get out of there if you couldn't make the climb out. Obviously Cochran is it, but that doesn't do much for you unless you have a person willing to drive out to get you. No small task given the locaction. Glad everything worked out.

Always in the wrong gear
    Well I survived! Jeff I'm glad to hear you guys made it out ok. The wind was terrible between Cochran Rd and F-K hwy. I walked more than I wanted in that area. Made it back to the Gila crossing around 3pm. Topped off my water, hydrated a bit since it was pretty warm, then headed out. Lots of walking for me coming out of the Gila. My knee was pretty swollen and cramps were sporadic. Finished at 7:50pm and was happy to be off my bike.
    Salsa El Mariachi SS

mtbr member
    Wow that A ride lives up to is name. Pulverizer. It chews you up and if you are lucky spits you out. Great work to finish it Rob. Jeff and Nancy... Happy you two made it out. And John. What a man to drive all the way out there.
    Joe

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Did the "A" ride today. I'll have a ride report soon, but wow what a freaking day. I definitely didn't have the severity of wind experienced by the folks who rolled on Saturday. Temps were a bit cooler too.

It's funny reading about the McD event and how it feels "too safe" for AES - let there be no mistake...this one can get sideways on you fast and put you in a bad spot. I tend to ride pretty conservatively - even more so on a Tuesday in BFE. Saw two people on horseback halfway between Kelvin and the climb out from the Gila who asked if I saw their cows haha. And two hikers with about ~10 miles to go for me. That was about 10 minutes after I stirred up what had to be a mountain lion. I was coming bombing down back towards picketpost I think this was the downhill approach to telegraph canyon rd. It crossed (jumped) across the trail I think trying to get away from me. It was about 30 feet in front of me. Wasn't tan like I would have expected. More silver/dark??? I don't know what else it could have been. There was plenty of cat scat around as well. Humbling and unnerving for sure.

Ahhh the pain....
    Nice work Mike!

mtbr member
    Did the "A" ride today. I'll have a ride report soon, but wow what a freaking day. I definitely didn't have the severity of wind experienced by the folks who rolled on Saturday. Temps were a bit cooler too.

It's funny reading about the McD event and how it feels "too safe" for AES - let there be no mistake...this one can get sideways on you fast and put you in a bad spot. I tend to ride pretty conservatively - even more so on a Tuesday in BFE. Saw two people on horseback halfway between Kelvin and the climb out from the Gila who asked if I saw their cows haha. And two hikers with about ~10 miles to go for me. That was about 10 minutes after I stirred up what had to be a mountain lion. I was coming bombing down back towards picketpost I think this was the downhill approach to telegraph canyon rd. It crossed (jumped) across the trail I think trying to get away from me. It was about 30 feet in front of me. Wasn't tan like I would have expected. More silver/dark??? I don't know what else it could have been. There was plenty of cat scat around as well. Humbling and unnerving for sure.
    Mike... you are really kicking butt out there!
    Joe

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Meow!! That'll keep you awake after a long day on the bike.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Meow!! That'll keep you awake after a long day on the bike.
    Umm yeah. Privileged to catch a glimpse of it - it is their domain for sure. The way it moved so gracefully and then was just GONE was amazing. I spent the next 10 minutes flying on the bike and making loud shouts. Making the final approach to picketpost and hearing cowbells made me feel better haha. I think those cows would be better eating than me!

mtbr member
    If you see a Mountain Lion and are still alive chances are good you won't be bothered. If he wanted to eat you it would have already happened.
    Joe

Ahhh the pain....
    if you haven't already, read Jeff Hemperly's blog from his azt300 ride...he saw a mountain lion and claims he also saw a jagurandi.
    El Freako: 2014 Arizona Trail Race Recap (AZT300)

mtbr member
    May 2005
    if you haven't already, read Jeff Hemperly's blog from his azt300 ride...he saw a mountain lion and claims he also saw a jagurandi.
    El Freako: 2014 Arizona Trail Race Recap (AZT300)
    I had read that before and originally thought that was what I had seen until I double checked the typical size of the jaguardi... much smaller than what I saw.

mtbr member
    Then again can you trust what you see? I was on AES Mini Monster ITT and saw 4 nuns in full Habits (not the bike you fools) and bright camelbaks hiking up from white spar campground. I swear I saw them. Yeah no photos to prove it.
    Joe

Then again can you trust what you see? I was on AES Mini Monster ITT and saw 4 nuns in full Habits (not the bike you fools) and bright camelbaks hiking up from white spar campground. I swear I saw them. Yeah no photos to prove it.

pics or it didn't happen.

If you guys want to continue on with the hallucinations the old long route of the APC is back this year. And then there is the Gila 100. You are guaranteed to see the deity of your choice on either of those.

Ahhh the pain....
    i swear I've seen Jesus out there....or maybe it was Schilling...they both have beards.

mtbr member
    Interestingly enough we saw a group of nuns hiking out there while pre-riding the Whiskey course this past spring. I forgot all about it until you posted

DFL>DNF>DNS
    i swear I've seen Jesus out there....or maybe it was Schilling...they both have beards.
    Maybe we both just saw Seron walking around, he doesn't ride anymore!! I really wish I would've taken a picture of that dude I saw walking barefoot & shirtless in the snow on the 750, so surreal.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    May 2005

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Maybe we both just saw Seron walking around, he doesn't ride anymore!! I really wish I would've taken a picture of that dude I saw walking barefoot & shirtless in the snow on the 750, so surreal.
    A shout out! Whoo hooo! But for all the wrong reasons.... I was there in spirit, for sure.

I'll tell you though, when I do get back into a regular biking habit, I'm going to feel like the second coming! It's going to be glorious! Hallelujah! As long as I can do more miles than diapers, I'll be pretty stoked. And the second job is DONE. That should help free up some time for DC!

(I've even got my eye on a new-to-me bike for the occasion....I might have to dig out my left over Harris NO SHOX stickers.)
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Great writeup Mike!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dsrt taco View Post
    Great writeup Mike!
    Thanks for reading!

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Ha! I knew putting you on blast would draw you out!! Let's go ride bikes sometime. Jumping back in on a rigid, eh? That's core.
    My Two Schillingsworth