Add some spice to your Desert Classic ride- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Add some spice to your Desert Classic ride

Since DC is notorious for it's traffic I though I'd post a route that that is much better, in the same area, and of similar difficulty. It is a much more enjoyable ride that includes DC, but other trails too. it has way more flow and the trails have more variation (fun).
    it is probably a much better XC training route that just staying on DC since there are a couple more climbs and plenty of cario zones.
    It also keeps you out of the Pima canyon parking lot if you drive to the trailhead. it gets ugly there this time of year.

I ride this all the time, but am directionally challenged. Please copy and paste the details and make corrections if needed so others can replicate. I also need a good guess on mileage, my guess is between 15 and 20??.

Park or ride to the Beverly Canyon lot (BV)
    - ride up BV
    - take the first major junction by the condos left. this is the East Loop.
    - take east loop past the offices, up the climbs, through the big wash by the golf course to where it intersects the Pima Wash trail and the road to the Pima Ramadas
    - Ride DC to Secret trail (is this marker 43 or so?) take it to the right. I actually like to spin on the flats area before the tank and ride DC proper on the way back. the flats are a fun, speedy area you to totally spin and open up on.
    take Secret to the Corona Loma (CL) junction and turn Right up the hill (this is a fun rocky climb)
    - descend form the saddle you reach and take that back to DC and turn left to start heading back.
    - when you get to marker 47 (??) turn left and make the second right which is secret again.
    - take secret back to DC, DC back to the Pima Ramadas, and take the East Loop back to home.

wretch
    Hey Chongo, I've been meaning for a long time to thank you. You took me up and part way down SOMO for the my first time ever a ways back (probably less than a year). You were there for my first two water fall attempts of which I am still happily scared from. I was the slow poke whose pedal tension was set to high and couldnt get out of the pedals for the life of me, I was also riding with another shitehead (quit trying to ride and he now sucks at life). . . So thanks man you broke my cherry .

Sorry for the thread jack. . . I just finally put two and two together from E-stalking your profile and wanted to say thanks!!!

Cheers

NardoSS

map it!

Map it, man, map it! Yes, DC was crowded today but everyone was in a great mood.

I even spotted a ranger on a bicycle coming down the east side of hidden trail. She gave me the right of way since I was going up. Cheers to her. Jeez, I don't think I've seen a ranger cycling on a trail in the last few years.

Were you out there today, Chongo?

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    Chongo, I take routes similar all the time.. it IS a great way to take the crowds out
    the helipad/Secret/corona loop area is probably the least used in the DC zone.
    I was out at DC today at lunch and it was empty. Even though the parking lot was full?
    Eh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash
    Hey Chongo, I've been meaning for a long time to thank you. You took me up and part way down SOMO for the my first time ever a ways back (probably less than a year). You were there for my first two water fall attempts of which I am still happily scared from. I was the slow poke whose pedal tension was set to high and couldnt get out of the pedals for the life of me, I was also riding with another shitehead (quit trying to ride and he now sucks at life). . . So thanks man you broke my cherry .

Sorry for the thread jack. . . I just finally put two and two together from E-stalking your profile and wanted to say thanks!!!

Cheers
    No prob man! I remember that ride. Nice new ride BTW. it looks sweeeet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NardoSS
    Map it, man, map it! Yes, DC was crowded today but everyone was in a great mood.

I even spotted a ranger on a bicycle coming down the east side of hidden trail. She gave me the right of way since I was going up. Cheers to her. Jeez, I don't think I've seen a ranger cycling on a trail in the last few years.

Were you out there today, Chongo?
    Yes I was out there between 3 and 5. I love riding in the afternoon these days (also helps to be on paternity leave )

wretch
    Is DC busy early morning weekday? I was thinking about taking the lady out there tomm. morning. If not I'm sticking to T 1 Hondo

mtbr member
    You should check out the ruins trail west of telegraph, it's pretty sweet and there's never anyone out there.

Eating meat is murder, yummy yummy murder!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    Since DC is notorious for it's traffic I though I'd post a route that that is much better, in the same area, and of similar difficulty. It is a much more enjoyable ride that includes DC, but other trails too. it has way more flow and the trails have more variation (fun).
    it is probably a much better XC training route that just staying on DC since there are a couple more climbs and plenty of cario zones.
    It also keeps you out of the Pima canyon parking lot if you drive to the trailhead. it gets ugly there this time of year.

I ride this all the time, but am directionally challenged. Please copy and paste the details and make corrections if needed so others can replicate. I also need a good guess on mileage, my guess is between 15 and 20??.

Park or ride to the Beverly Canyon lot (BV)
    - ride up BV
    - take the first major junction by the condos left. this is the East Loop.
    - take east loop past the offices, up the climbs, through the big wash by the golf course to where it intersects the Pima Wash trail and the road to the Pima Ramadas
    - Ride DC to Secret trail (is this marker 43 or so?) take it to the right. I actually like to spin on the flats area before the tank and ride DC proper on the way back. the flats are a fun, speedy area you to totally spin and open up on.
    take Secret to the Corona Loma (CL) junction and turn Right up the hill (this is a fun rocky climb)
    - descend form the saddle you reach and take that back to DC and turn left to start heading back.
    - when you get to marker 47 (??) turn left and make the second right which is secret again.
    - take secret back to DC, DC back to the Pima Ramadas, and take the East Loop back to home.
    Good route, I have been doing similar but coming from DC by Olney Street Entrance, cut through the parking lot and down by the North Ramada, cut right thru the wash and follow trail up and over to East Loop, then left on Loop and over middle ridge line to Beverly down Beverly to Javelina up Javelina and back down Jeep Road to little cut off on right which brings you down to Pima Wash left on Beverly, run full length of Beverly and then turn right at bottom before the condos, then follow your route, but usually follow the climb up past the fire pits then left at the very high point and drop down to East Loop and come long way round the East loop and back over to Pima, then tack on Classic.

I also like coming backwards up the Secret Trail on that old section that brings you to the saddle and down to Corona TH.

Fun to break up the normal routes!

Meatbomb
    i'd like to see maps.

when i rode DC I think I remember seeing a sign to Beverly canyon but also remember there being rocks across the trail as if to designate it closed. It was about 2 miles out from the Pima Canyon lot .

Wrench-O-Phile
    Quote Originally Posted by Kortface
    You should check out the ruins trail west of telegraph, it's pretty sweet and there's never anyone out there.
    I "found" the ruins just past weekend, but got lost trying to figure out where the road to them began. Any tips on getting around the housing development and/ or the massive drainage ditch that acts like a moat?

I'd like to make a smoother loop from DC to the ruins.
    Just keep pedaling...

visit the sticki chronicles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvota
    I "found" the ruins just past weekend, but got lost trying to figure out where the road to them began. Any tips on getting around the housing development and/ or the massive drainage ditch that acts like a moat?

I'd like to make a smoother loop from DC to the ruins.
    The houses go right up into the mountain so no trail from Telegraph to where the ruins trail starts. You have to zip down Desert Foothills Parkway from the Telegraph TH parking lot and go down that big drainage wash and up the embankment on the other side. The trail starts just off the top as it gets close to the houses. Trail is a little hard to find as ground is pretty hard there and not seen alot of traffic. There is also a two track that comes up form the golf course.

Wrench-O-Phile
    Quote Originally Posted by BritMtnBiker
    ...go down that big drainage wash and up the embankment on the other side. The trail starts just off the top as it gets close to the houses...
    Is this drainage wash concrete.... or more of a dirt basin? I rode past the dirt basin, took a right and started to find my way at the concrete wash. It didn't work out so well though.
    Just keep pedaling...

visit the sticki chronicles

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvota
    Is this drainage wash concrete.... or more of a dirt basin? I rode past the dirt basin, took a right and started to find my way at the concrete wash. It didn't work out so well though.
    No its dirt, just down from the concrete one, with the big rocks? Just after the house ends the roads starts curving south you can drop down the wash and up the other side, you will see where the bikes have been going. Once your at the bottom you need to have speed to get up the other side as it is steep. The trail goes along the top of embankement and then branches of left. You are almost facing Chandle (which is at the end of the road) when you drop into the wash. A little confusing but you should be able to find it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    i'd like to see maps.

when i rode DC I think I remember seeing a sign to Beverly canyon but also remember there being rocks across the trail as if to designate it closed. It was about 2 miles out from the Pima Canyon lot .
    I have not worked on the map skills, but i think the text description with a good old somo map will help. just don't forget about the secret turn off. the rest DC, CL, BV are marked well.

BV is open as usual, but rocks have been placed at a false entrance to the trail.

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by chongoman

BV is open as usual, but rocks have been placed at a false entrance to the trail.
    that must have been what i saw .. thanks.

im4Gsus

map

my paint not-2-scale rendition.
    orange in, blue back.

variation: on the way back, do the warpaint loop ccw; it's a lot of fun. back on DC turn left to marker 46, go right and resume with sidewinder back home. (my 2)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

mtbr member
    Nice map Kaboose! Maybe you can help me with some AutoCAD problems.
    "I don't suffer from insanity!I rather enjoy it."

mtbr member
    great map thanks! Adding the warpaint loop is a great idea. I also like to take DC back on the return instead of doing the san gabriel again.
    Lots of fun variations like the Beverly Canyon steep climb off of DC between the tank and the San Gabriel turn off..

more beers, lees gears.
    I am very familiar with the secret trail, and the east loop. Never ridden Corona Loma, but I have seen both ends of it.

How is the corona loma trail in comparison to DC, Secret, or East loop? The climb from the top of Secret looks intense. So I assumed it was a rough, gnarly trail out of my league.
    A burrito is a sleeping bag for ground beef.

Meatbomb
    Is there parking near the water tank so you can just ride the less crowded end of DC ?

more beers, lees gears.
    maybe. not sure the streets or how to get there, but it looks like you could park on the street in the area.

You could always park at the San Gabrial loop Short cut

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo
    Is there parking near the water tank so you can just ride the less crowded end of DC ?
    Probably not a good spot to park. The San Gabriel area is an actual trailhead and has parking, depsite someone in the area called the Parking Nazi. Otherwise Warpaint is a good spot. Take Knox Street from 48th west and just past the church Warpaint goes up on the right (you cant miss the big iron chain link fence). Parking is at the top of the hill.

Either one puts you before or after the water tank.

Meatbomb
    thanks.

I am Doctor Remulak
    Quote Originally Posted by mattKHS
    I am very familiar with the secret trail, and the east loop. Never ridden Corona Loma, but I have seen both ends of it.

How is the corona loma trail in comparison to DC, Secret, or East loop? The climb from the top of Secret looks intense. So I assumed it was a rough, gnarly trail out of my league.
    Check out and decide for yourself. Corona Loma kicks in right around the 1 minute mark.

more beers, lees gears.
    thanks. From the looks of the end, did they record this in reverse of the map above? looks like it ended at the top of sidewinder.

pedaller
    It's totally out of sequence. It's starts near the drop on secret/sidewinder and ends at the saddle near the bottom of Corona de Loma.

Do NOT go up CDL from there...
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

more beers, lees gears.
    up being.... from the top of secret heading west?

pedaller
    my bad - I meant up, up, up! CDL heads WAY UP! (from the saddle)

I like doing that loop exactly like Sativa's (climbing sidewinder to CDL (heading west) and then loop back on DC to sidewinder)...

That rocks.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

Members who have read this thread: 0