Accessing Milagrosa- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Accessing Milagrosa

I was thinking of trying out Milagrosa from the Snyder Rd. access point.
    Has anyone done this, is it easy to find ? I looked on "The Map" and it says "access
    not finalized". Also, can anyone describe what it would be like doing this from the
    bottom like this. I have a 4" travel XC bike, but am no stranger to tech stuff.
    If anybodys interested maybe we could organize a ride. (Never ridden any part of this
    trail before, incidentally)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Try this loop:

Park at the Agua Caliente Park, then ride up Reddington(climbing) to about MM17 or 18. On the left you'll see a sign for the AZ trail. This is a really sweet section of singletrack. It will kick you out onto a dirt road, which you make a left on for about fifty yards, then make a right through a sandy area and back on the Bellota section of AZ trail for about two more miles to the Milagrosa turnoff, which is marked by a rock cairn. If you hit a steep switchback climb you went too far. Go down milagrosa(carefully, especially if it's your first time), then a short pavement spin back to the park. Should be about 25 miles ish? I dont ride with a computer, so all mileages are approximate. Fun loop.
    You COULD do it on a geared bike, but I wouldn't reccomend it!

Derailleurs are for failures!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    Park at the Agua Caliente Park, then ride up Reddington(climbing) to about MM17 or 18. On the left you'll see a sign for the AZ trail. This is a really sweet section of singletrack. It will kick you out onto a dirt road, which you make a left on for about fifty yards, then make a right through a sandy area and back on the Bellota section of AZ trail for about two more miles to the Milagrosa turnoff, which is marked by a rock cairn. If you hit a steep switchback climb you went too far. Go down milagrosa(carefully, especially if it's your first time), then a short pavement spin back to the park. Should be about 25 miles ish? I dont ride with a computer, so all mileages are approximate. Fun loop.
    I was thinking of trying climbing Milagrosa to see how far up it I could go first before
    I try a loop like that. Would that be a painful ride ? Are there like 3' drops and stuff
    like that ?
    And from Agua Caliente, where would you go to access the Milagrosa trailhead ?
    Thanx

Scott in Tucson
    Quote Originally Posted by le_buzz
    I was thinking of trying climbing Milagrosa to see how far up it I could go first before
    I try a loop like that. Would that be a painful ride ? Are there like 3' drops and stuff
    like that ?
    And from Agua Caliente, where would you go to access the Milagrosa trailhead ?
    Thanx
    Climbing Milagrosa is not that bad if you're a good technical climber. You'll walk a few extended sections, unless you're superman, but I didn't regret it the last time I did it.

You asked if it's painful, though. Umm, yes.

You will have trouble finding the bottom of the trail if you've never come down it before. You could head in that direction and look for bike tires to follow, but I wouldn't really recommend it.

Here's another idea: go to the end of Ft. Lowell and follow signs for 'trailhead.' This is the Agua Caliente trail (easy to find, easy to follow). It's an awesome climb, slightly more rideable that going up Milagrosa. If you go far enough you can descend to Milagrosa Canyon and ride Milagrosa Trail back down. Only a few miles of pavement to connect the loop. It's one of my favorite 'quick' rides in Tucson. Definitely high on pain factor though.
    Author of TopoFusion GPS Software. MTB+backpacking = bikepacking.net. Ride Diary.

mtbr member
    Yeah. The worst part of riding Miligrosa "backwards" would probably be the first few
    climbs - which would be in the VERY beginning of the backwards route. After about
    1 to 2 miles, things would get much easier UNTIL you hit what I call "the boulder
    field". This is an uphill climb that is strewn with pretty big rocks that are close enough
    together to reach out and grab your derailleur without warning.

Someone recently posted pics (or a link) of a group ride descending "the boulder field".

I can tell you that I think the much better route is up Catalina Hwy, up Molino Basin and
    down Miligrosa.
    -- Evil Patrick

Some of my Music

My Videos

The trail...shall set you free.

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Patrick
    Yeah. The worst part of riding Miligrosa "backwards" would probably be the first few
    climbs - which would be in the VERY beginning of the backwards route. After about
    1 to 2 miles, things would get much easier UNTIL you hit what I call "the boulder
    field". This is an uphill climb that is strewn with pretty big rocks that are close enough
    together to reach out and grab your derailleur without warning.

Someone recently posted pics (or a link) of a group ride descending "the boulder field".

I can tell you that I think the much better route is up Catalina Hwy, up Molino Basin and
    down Miligrosa.

Yes, I have to agree. My favorite way is to ride up the highway to the Prison Camp campground. Then ride down Molino Basin trail, cross the hiway, go up the AZ Trail to the saddle, and head on down to La Milagrosa. Depending on your climbing speed up the highway, this takes 3-4 hours.

~Aaron~

Members who have read this thread: 0