mtbr member

New question here. Absolute Bikes - 8th Annual Flagstaff Mtn Bike Race?

Anyone have insights on Absolute Bikes' 8th Annual Mountain Bike Race happening in Flagstaff on Aug 22nd?

http://www.absolutebikes.net/mtn_fest/index.html

Comments on the course? Do the trails have specific names so we can do a little pre-ride research?

What about the post race event stuff they talk about on the site. Does that happen in their parking lot or something? Worth hanging around for?

Does it typically fill up (in other words do we need to sign up early?)

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Looks like Fort Valley Trails according to the Map. 164B is a forest road climb to Snowbowl Rd... looks like Fort Valley Trail to Pipleline from the TH on Snowbowl Rd. and then down Supermoto to the finish. So... fast start into steepish climb on boring FR, then traverse/climb on fairly tame singletrack to one of the finest descents in the area all the way to the finish.

I'd bring fast tires and a light bike. Sounds like fun.

edit: any idea why 3 laps are required in the SS class? Just because we are so much more hardcore than the sport riders? I don't know, but I don't lump myself in with the expert class just 'cause I ride SS.
    Last edited by sunset1123; 07-30-2009 at 11:02 AM.

mtbr member
    This is at the Ft. Valley Trail System, and can be pre-ridden any time. The link to course info will let you know the details. Last year I don't think it filled up. It is a really fun event, and there were plenty of families/kids/etc (if you were interested). I think most post-race stuff happens either there or at the Pay N Take. I didn't hang around last time, but I will likely do it this time, if I race. FYI: the only reason why I wouldn't do this race is because I am on blood thinners and I am not supposed to be riding, let alone racing - but this one is fun and casual.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

No mames guey
    This is a totally fun and casual race. The course is a combination of forest road, rocky single track (Rocky Moto portion), and groomed flowing singletrack (Lower Moto/Ft Valley portion). The awards presentation at PnT as a good time too, with discount beer!

mtbr member
    This event is awesome... super fun, laid back, and the course is actually really great. Most of the climbing is on the fireroad... there is a couple of miles of pretty rocky singletrack, and then a superfast banked corner downhill to the finish...

3 laps on a singlespeed is just about right... the course is so much fun it is totally worth doing the extra lap. Some will disagree that it is not that fun or hardcore or technical or whatever... but for a cross country race it is a freaking blast... and the party at Pay and take at the end is always fun!

Always a good day to ride
    This is a great event and they give out pretty unique awards! Anthony from Absoulte custom makes them out of old bike parts. AWESOME!

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by sunset1123
    edit: any idea why 3 laps are required in the SS class? Just because we are so much more hardcore than the sport riders? I don't know, but I don't lump myself in with the expert class just 'cause I ride SS.
    'cause a lot of the singlespeeders that show for this race are stinking fast... not quite as fast as the fastest experts on this course, but darn close.

for reference, 2005 results:
    expert: http://www.cepmtnbike.com/2005/misc27/05absoluteem.txt
    ss: http://www.cepmtnbike.com/2005/misc27/05absolutegm.txt
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    I rode this race both in 2006 and 2007 but missed last year. First year I rode my softail as a geared bike in the Sport class and placed fairly well. In 2007 I raced it on the softail newly converted to a single-speed and got my butt handed to me... placed 2nd from last. I was fairly new to SSing and wasn't prepared for it. That extra 3rd lap at altitude just destroyed me.

Going to try for it again this year, but I haven't decided if I"m going to SS it or just go "back" to the sport class on two laps on a plush full-squish.

It is about 40% fast forestry road/double-track access road, and 70% sweet singletrack. Plenty of fun for a few hours worth... as long as it doesn't rain.
    Graeme Hunt Design - www.graemehuntdesign.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It shouldn't rain until afternoon, and by then I'm sure it will be welcome. I'm going to go pre-ride this tomorrow early am to get a benchmark for the lap, and then hook up with the trail crews at 8am to do some clean up. Maybe I'll see you guys there.

No mames guey
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Cracker
    It is about 40% fast forestry road/double-track access road, and 70% sweet singletrack. Plenty of fun for a few hours worth... as long as it doesn't rain.

This made me think that there are three types of people: those who know how to count, and those who don't.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tpvet73
    This made me think that there are three types of people: those who know how to count, and those who don't.

LOL. I'm in the 4rd category.

A plethora of pinatas
    Who is heading up this Sat for this event?
    Marty

mtbr member
    I'm headed out tomorrow night after work. Staying in Sedona with my folks and driving up to Flag early Saturday morning.

mtbr member
    Marty im going up tomorrow night. Are you going to be able make it?
    www.29er918.blogspot.com

Avoid the Clap, signed……Jimmy Dugan

mtbr member
    Who else is going up tomorrow night? Dinner for all who are going?
    www.29er918.blogspot.com

Avoid the Clap, signed……Jimmy Dugan

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    I will be heading up Friday leaving Phoenix around noon, camping out as always. I work early Sunday so I need to head back Saturday night and can't have fun downing any beer. good luck to anyone going. I will be S.S.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

AZ Biker Chick
    Nov 2006

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by tpvet73
    Now that's 110% funny!

mtbr member
    I am going SS... we get to race together for the first time ever Taco... how cool is that?? We have been going to the same races for like 5 or 6 years and this is the first time we actually get to race together!! Let the smack talking begin

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by 9-18 Fast
    Marty im going up tomorrow night. Are you going to be able make it?
    I am heading up tonight and I will be racing tomorrow. I am thinking about racing Sport. Ty is not racing this one cause he wants to save his legs for the Skull Valley Road Race on Sun.

See you up in the cool pines!
    Marty

Quote Originally Posted by tamen00
    I am going SS... we get to race together for the first time ever Taco... how cool is that?? We have been going to the same races for like 5 or 6 years and this is the first time we actually get to race together!! Let the smack talking begin
    Damn! now the pressure is on. Sorry but I can't give you too much smack because at my best fastest race (Flagstaff finals) I was still 3 minutes slower than your slowest race. I am looking forward to racing with you, maybe it will motivate me to try harder or have a heart attack. See ya there buddy.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

mtbr member
    Man, thats not the type of smack talking I was looking for... also... good thing Ty is doing the skull valley race and not this one... he freaking rocked the SS class at the McDowell time trial... he is like 8 years old or something like that and ended up 3rd with all the grownups... and there were a ton of fast people in that group... it was pretty cool to see....

Ty is 15yrs I was told and he is fast. at the TT he was on my butt the entire time. Sorry I didn't get to give you a good race but I cramped and bonked bad at this one on the last lap. before that I think I was in third or fourth place but I didn't prepare for a 30 mile race. For my pre-race set up I did everything wrong and it kicked my butt, when I cramped to hell three riders passed me and I ended up 6th place, it took me over an hour to finish my last lap. It was a great race and I now know racing with the big boys will hurt next season.

There's always an angle

Absolute Bikes Mountain Bike Race Photos

Some photos of the race. Enjoy!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sn0wlvr/
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the pictures!
    By any chance did anyone find a Garmin Edge on the course?

There's always an angle

Link to Race Photos

This link is probably a little easier to use to review the photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sn0wlvr...7622000282025/

A plethora of pinatas
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Kid
    This link is probably a little easier to use to review the photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sn0wlvr...7622000282025/
    Thanks for the great pictures!!

Awesome times and awesome event.
    Marty

Always a good day to ride
    Great photos!!! I was not able to make it this year due to family comitments. It looks like it was a great event as usual.

Did Chris B. win the frame again this year???

mtbr member
    Great Event. Loved the race....altitude and everything! Couldn't make it to the after race event. Hopefully you dodged the rain.

Thanks for the PICS too!

mtbr member

Members who have read this thread: 0