6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012- Mtbr.com
    I am Walt

DATE CHANGE!! - 6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sun, Jan. 29th, 2012

Welcome to the 6th Annual - can you believe it's 6 years now?!?! - Quadruple Bypass!! This is the "traditional" date, on the weekend in-between the NFL Championship Games and the Super Bowl. I'm thrilled to be able to RIDE it this year, after being injured and off-the-bike last year!! Though Deanna and I enjoyed supporting everyone last year...

EDIT: Moving this to Sunday, the 29th, to remove the conflict with the AES Antelope Peak Challenge, thus giving those who desire such suffering the opportunity to do both events back-to-back!!

I will follow-up with more details; in the meantime, you can search the forum and find plenty of info. Use Advanced Search, and search Titles Only, in the Arizona forum, for "Quadruple Bypass." In the meantime, here is last year's thread, to get you started:
    http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/quadr...-a-670428.html

Unofficial course record was set last year by "El Freako from Rico" (Jeff Hemperly), who did it in 4:40 on a SINGLESPEED!!!

This is not a race; it's a vibing ride and good time, and a tour of some great trails in the McDowell Mountains. That said, the group will break into self-selected and paced groups, some of which are hauling ass!

Please RSVP so I can get some sort of a count, as I'll be stocking some snacks, etc at the bottom of the east side of Sunrise.

Hope to see you there!!

Walt and Deanna
    Last edited by waltaz; 12-09-2011 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Date change to Sunday, Jan. 29th
    Ride more; post less...

Got a suspension fork
    Two years ago I intended to try the quad and got sick. Last year it was on our anniversary. Maybe the third attempt to participate will be a charm!

Here's the route for anybody not familiar with it, click on the Summary tab for stats and to be able to download the gpx/tcx file.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    GHEW! Looks like a blast. I saw the mileage and thought, "that ain't bad." Then I looked at the elevation chart. Holy crap. What are the ranges of times folks do this in?

Having never ridden there, I will head out there sometime next week to get a feel for it. I am a "definite maybe" at this point.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Giddy up.. I'm in, flight is booked.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    PointerDixie214: Last year was my first Quad, I was in the back of the bus group doing our trailsweeping duties (i.e. that's as fast as I could go!) Took me 8:15 to complete. I was planning on hitting it up again this year to get it down to around 7 hours, but I just found out there's a scheduling conflict with another race/event that I want to do. So, I'm out this year in favor of the AES APC 65. Good luck to all that Quad up!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Where is the course map?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcore Ken View Post
    Where is the course map?
    Did you read the OP?

Got a suspension fork
    I already posted the route in the 2nd post.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214 View Post
    GHEW! Looks like a blast. I saw the mileage and thought, "that ain't bad." Then I looked at the elevation chart. Holy crap. What are the ranges of times folks do this in?

Having never ridden there, I will head out there sometime next week to get a feel for it. I am a "definite maybe" at this point.
    When I did it a couple years ago, my time was just over 8 hours. I was in the group that stopped and had beers at each peak.

I have a shiny new 29er on its way so I'm probably in this year.

Kathleen in AZ
    I'll join the back of the bus group!! Been a few years since I've done it. Now, with an upgraded hip, I have no excuses!

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I missed last year because I was sick, and since Freeskier points out that its the same day as the AES Antelope Peak, looks like I'll miss this year too since I'll be joining in on that fun. I'll probably do it the week before or after though, just in the spirit of the ride.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Planning on it. I think I'm going to bring my gloves this time.

mtbr member
    I am doing it for the first time , can't wait!! However, I will be with the slower group.

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    PointerDixie214: Last year was my first Quad, I was in the back of the bus group doing our trailsweeping duties (i.e. that's as fast as I could go!) Took me 8:15 to complete. I was planning on hitting it up again this year to get it down to around 7 hours, but I just found out there's a scheduling conflict with another race/event that I want to do. So, I'm out this year in favor of the AES APC 65. Good luck to all that Quad up!!
    This sucks, it also conflicts with two other events, the MBAA race and the McDowell Mountain Sonoran Challenge.
    and I was upset because those two were on the same day and now to find out there are a total of four big events happening on the same day. shame. I'll be at MBAA going for the last place cat 1 SS point series one more year.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

Lurky Lou
    I think everyone else needs to move their events. This is the 6th anual Quad for krysts sake.

I'll be there.

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    This sucks, it also conflicts with two other events, the MBAA race and the McDowell Mountain Sonoran Challenge.
    and I was upset because those two were on the same day and now to find out there are a total of four big events happening on the same day. shame. I'll be at MBAA going for the last place cat 1 SS point series one more year.
    I might put APC 115 in another event than the Quad and MBAA. We start at 3am in the morning and sometimes do not finish before sunset.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Be there .... but I can see the amount of pain I will have on my 2010 Enduro

Not a Barry supporter.
    I think I'll let dryheat drive me while I drink beers. I mean, since I'm cheesin' out with a new FS and geary, I might as well.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl View Post
    I'll join the back of the bus group!! Been a few years since I've done it. Now, with an upgraded hip, I have no excuses!
    Nice...!!
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB View Post
    I mean, since I'm cheesin' out with a new FS and geary, I might as well.
    Say it ain't so...!!
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner View Post
    I might put APC 115 in another event than the Quad and MBAA. We start at 3am in the morning and sometimes do not finish before sunset.
    Agreed, though sorry I scheduled opposite the APC...I wanted to do at least the 65...
    Ride more; post less...

Not a Barry supporter.
    Ms. V will still be the main ride but for longer rides like such, it be so.
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    I mean, since I'm cheesin' out with a new FS and geary, I might as well.
    Mods someone has high jacked Rodney's account.
    Mayo Clinic Phx. Kidney TX 06-20-2019

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle64 View Post
    Mods someone has high jacked Rodney's account.
    HA! Now that's funny Timmy....made me laugh.
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member

Twofer!

My best weekend mountainbiking in AZ was doing the '09 QBP on Saturday, then the APC (65 miler) on Sunday; can they not still co-exist in such a fashion? It was a perfect weekend of monstrously epic riding and great camaraderie. I assume anyone doing the 115 miler would not "warm-up" with the QBP, however - though the 65-ish mile version the day after QBP felt like a great weekend (to me).

Both have a great crew, are well mapped / documented, and it's not as if one need be "on their own" (nor want to be necessarily). *If* I were to try and come out that weekend, I'd likely want to try and repeat the one-two punch as in '09 - and would roll out of Willow Springs solo on that Sunday if the APC were on Saturday.

Very, very long shot for me, though the 29'er I ride now would eat that APC course up way nicer than my retired 26" FS ride I used previously. If one had to pick from one ride / event or the other? Well, it's a choice I honestly could not make! I'd still have to do both rides - but that's just my sick [email protected]@ self!

Glad you're feeling better Walt - and too cool you're keeping the QBP rockin' along. Thanks for all the work. Chad & Scott as well on the APC and the whole AES thing - as you guys are NUTS. I love it. Thanks to you guys for all the work on those crazy events.
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by dryheat? View Post
    I think everyone else needs to move their events. This is the 6th anual Quad for krysts sake.

I'll be there.
    Of course you will. And bummer this is falling on a day when other events are scheduled. Sounds like some fun former attendees will be missed!!

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleGerl View Post
    Planning on it. I think I'm going to bring my gloves this time.
    Hehe. That was funny last year.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by phxrider View Post
    I am doing it for the first time , can't wait!! However, I will be with the slower group.
    That's where all the fun takes place

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx View Post
    My best weekend mountainbiking in AZ was doing the '09 QBP on Saturday, then the APC (65 miler) on Sunday; can they not still co-exist in such a fashion? It was a perfect weekend of monstrously epic riding and great camaraderie. I assume anyone doing the 115 miler would not "warm-up" with the QBP, however - though the 65-ish mile version the day after QBP felt like a great weekend (to me).

Both have a great crew, are well mapped / documented, and it's not as if one need be "on their own" (nor want to be necessarily). *If* I were to try and come out that weekend, I'd likely want to try and repeat the one-two punch as in '09 - and would roll out of Willow Springs solo on that Sunday if the APC were on Saturday.

Very, very long shot for me, though the 29'er I ride now would eat that APC course up way nicer than my retired 26" FS ride I used previously. If one had to pick from one ride / event or the other? Well, it's a choice I honestly could not make! I'd still have to do both rides - but that's just my sick [email protected]@ self!

Glad you're feeling better Walt - and too cool you're keeping the QBP rockin' along. Thanks for all the work. Chad & Scott as well on the APC and the whole AES thing - as you guys are NUTS. I love it. Thanks to you guys for all the work on those crazy events.
    Question for everyone: To Glen's question above, would anyone have an issue if I move the Quad to Sunday, the 29th, to remove the conflict with the AES APC, and giving anybody who is sadistic enough the opportunity to do a massive double that weekend?

Let me know, and I'll make a call on it...
    Ride more; post less...

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    and giving anybody who is sadistic enough the opportunity to do a massive double that weekend?
    Sounds like a challenge

I am Walt
    Sounds like a challenge
    Precisely...
    Ride more; post less...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    I'll put my vote in for a Sunday Quad. That'll make almost a cool century weekend and it will be good training for the pain of my first AZT300 attempt in April! There I said it.
    My Two Schillingsworth

Question for everyone: To Glen's question above, would anyone have an issue if I move the Quad to Sunday, the 29th, to remove the conflict with the AES APC, and giving anybody who is sadistic enough the opportunity to do a massive double that weekend?

Hmmm...call me intrigued......to find a new level of pain.

Ahhh the pain....
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    I'll put my vote in for a Sunday Quad. That'll make almost a cool century weekend and it will be good training for the pain of my first AZT300 attempt in April! There I said it.
    Yikes FS...I've been tempted to say it too...but you got the huevos to do it!!!! Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Raybum View Post
    Yikes FS...I've been tempted to say it too...but you got the huevos to do it!!!! Cool!
    I'm comitted on the inside, but I've been biting my tongue too. And look at him, throwing it all on the table! He must have been on a high from hitting 2k mountain miles for the year.

Kathleen in AZ

No problemo. I actually prefer to have my long rides on Sundays. I'm all beat down on Saturday from the work week. I like to recover Saturday, push on Sunday, then recover at work on M-F. Repeat....

I am Walt
    I'm gonna move it to Sunday, the 29th!! I'll update the title of the thread tomorrow, but we go on Sunday!!

Let's see how many will try to pull off the APC/Quad double!! Glen, get some!!
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Bump for the date change...
    Ride more; post less...

Fragile - must be Italian
    Sun 1/29...works for me. I'm in.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    Aha! Now the ante is up... interesting to think of the two rides "reversed" (compared to my last venture); APC on Saturday and QBP on Sunday. I seem to recall an awful lot of serious climbing on the QBP - and an awful lot of long miles on the PAC ride. In a word? Perfect!

Hmmm..... let's see about those flights from Boston now!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx View Post
    Aha! Now the ante is up... interesting to think of the two rides "reversed" (compared to my last venture); APC on Saturday and QBP on Sunday. I seem to recall an awful lot of serious climbing on the QBP - and an awful lot of long miles on the PAC ride. In a word? Perfect!

Hmmm..... let's see about those flights from Boston now!
    Do it!!!
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Good with the date change.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis View Post
    That's where all the fun takes place
    That's good to hear!! Lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Now that's a creature double feature!! The gears are turning ...

I'm gonna move it to Sunday, the 29th!! I'll update the title of the thread tomorrow, but we go on Sunday!!

Let's see how many will try to pull off the APC/Quad double!! Glen, get some!!

I am Walt
    Mods - Thanks for the sticky!!
    Ride more; post less...

Lurky Lou
    When's the Double Beer-Ride, I mean Pre-Ride?

....and why the heck can't the Mods edit the date change in the title?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Nice Ride. Will try and make it this year.

K3N
    Certified slacker
    Sounds like a good time, wished I had been able to ride it last year. The Sunday works perfect for me so count me in! I will most likely bring a friend if thats ok too.

mtbr member
    Walt I'm stoked for this. Thanks for organizing it. See you there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Looks Fun!

Salty Dog
    [QUOTE=TacoBeer;8795100 I'll be at MBAA going for the last place cat 1 SS point series one more year.[/QUOTE]

It's a lofty goal you have, but I will place my money on you!
    Ventana El Rey - sweet 9er magic! OR sweet Serendipity Superfly 100

Salty Dog
    Yep, Walt, I have now put that date firmly in jello. I always like seeing you at the start and finish.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Can't make the Jan date,I am going to do the quad this week sometime. Question I have only ridden there once not too familiar with the area. My last ride at the bottom of Sunrise I took Via Linda to dirt rode to the Sonoran Trail. On your quad it looks like you take road to Dixie Mine is that correct and how do I get there from bottom of Sunrise?

Thanks,Bill

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldskool View Post
    Can't make the Jan date,I am going to do the quad this week sometime. Question I have only ridden there once not too familiar with the area. My last ride at the bottom of Sunrise I took Via Linda to dirt rode to the Sonoran Trail. On your quad it looks like you take road to Dixie Mine is that correct and how do I get there from bottom of Sunrise?

Thanks,Bill
    Via Linda -> Dirt Road -> Sonoran Trail -> Dixie Mine -> Coachwhip -> Windmill -> Windgate, etc...
    Ride more; post less...

Salty Dog
    I read through the thread and didn't see any mention of any conflict with going through the housing area at the end of Via Linda after the Sunrise Pass descent. Last I read there was a new injunction happening in January to keep bikes out of the neighborhood.

Anybody know if this will create a conflict?

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
    I read through the thread and didn't see any mention of any conflict with going through the housing area at the end of Via Linda after the Sunrise Pass descent. Last I read there was a new injunction happening in January to keep bikes out of the neighborhood.

Anybody know if this will create a conflict?
    For a few minutes on a beautiful Sunday morning in January...? Nope...
    Ride more; post less...

Salty Dog

Hiidden Hills bike conflict?

Here's the link to the late November article. I am wondering if anyone has actually ridden through Hidden Hills recently and seen any signage indicating bikes are not allowed there?

Bicyclists lose access to Hidden Hills road in Scottsdale

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Rode the quad yesterday,great day on the bike. Rode thru hidden hills the only signs I saw were at the
    Entrance to the dirt rode.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Count me in. Couldn't do last two years cause of knee and hand surgery but I'm good to go

mtbr member
    If I am still in Phoenix that late in the month, what do I have to do to get in on this "fun?"

Mikey from Idaho

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyonthemadone View Post
    If I am still in Phoenix that late in the month, what do I have to do to get in on this "fun?"

Mikey from Idaho
    Just RSVP and show up...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Sounds good. I just finished the thread from last year's event and I have to say I am going to ride the crap out of this area. I'll probably overdo it, but why not?! What a great looking area.
    I am staying in Tempe near South Mountain, but have figured out how to get to the McDowells starting point via your mass transit as I choose not to drive. See you on the trails!

Mikey from Idaho

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Where exactly are we meeting and what time is kick off?

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoverbike View Post
    Where exactly are we meeting and what time is kick off?
    I will post up the details in a week or two, but likely 8 am in the far east parking lot of the Basha's on the SW corner of Bell and Thompson Peak. I think there is going to be a pretty good crowd...
    Ride more; post less...

Dave
    Try my luck again this year. It's been a couple since I did it. Just under 8 hrs riding at the back of the bus with some very happy faces.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I need to ride more and work less.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm looking this over and HOLY TWINKIES! that's some climbing,.. WTH,.. I'm stupid,.. I'll do it.

Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by 29erBob View Post
    I'm looking this over and HOLY TWINKIES! that's some climbing,.. WTH,.. I'm stupid,.. I'll do it.
    No twinkies allow. But you can come ride it anyway. Lets start training now. we got 4 more weekends. haha

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty Dog View Post
    I am wondering if anyone has actually ridden through Hidden Hills recently and seen any signage indicating bikes are not allowed there?
    Tommy, I rode a big Double last weekend, and there are no signs at all in Hidden Hills regarding bikers and/or biking.
    Ride more; post less...

drink coffee, ride.
    Yeah, that was quite the ride, all back of the bus and stuff -

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Sorry if I missed this somewhere but what's the start time?

Dave
    Just scanned thru again and I dont see a time. Prob 8 am. Walt is that right, 8 am?

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by liteandfast View Post
    Just scanned thru again and I dont see a time. Prob 8 am. Walt is that right, 8 am?
    Correct; I've been slacking...

FIP (feet-in-pedals) launch time will be 8 am on Sunday, the 29th, from the far-east parking lot of the Basha's, on the SW corner of Bell an Thompson Peak.

I'll post up some more info in the next week or so...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Is it frowned upon to ride two passes and call it a day?

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    Is it frowned upon to ride two passes and call it a day?
    Not at all! Some people will bail after Bell (2nd pass) or Sunrise (3rd)...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    How do you replenish liquids during the ride?

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    How do you replenish liquids during the ride?
    You can make it to the bottom of the Sunrise descent (3-4 hours) on a full Camelback and a couple of bottles (depending on how you hydrate), then there is a water fountain/spigot there. Plus I am going to drop some water and snacks there, too. After that, you'll be all set for the rest of the ride (2-3+ hours).
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt

Listen! Launch Time on Sunday, the 29th!

All:

Plan on FIP (feet-in-pedals) at 8 am SHARP, so plan on arriving to gear-up, etc, between 7:30-45 am!! Again, we'll gather and depart from the easternmost parking lot of the Bashas, on the SW corner of Bell Rd. and Thompson Peak. Bashas has restrooms, in addition to being able to provide for your last-minute needs.

Weather should be PRIMO..."mostly sunny and pleasant", with a low of 48 and a high of 74:
    Scottsdale Weekend Weather - AccuWeather Forecast for AZ 85260

Remember, there IS water at the bottom of the Sunrise descent, which is about 2/3 of the way through the ride, and about 3-4 hours in (for most). So have enough water, etc. to get to that point; then you can refill. I *MAY* be able to park a car in that lot, and stash some snacks, etc, but I'm not sure...I will let you know at the start.

Best time for this through the previous five Quad's is 4:40, by Jeff Hemperly last year, on a SINGLESPEED!!! Can anyone beat that?!?! Most mortals will be in the 7-hour+ range for this, so plan accordingly!

And please remember, this is an informal, friendly, grass-roots "group ride"...it is NOT a race...Strava notwithstanding...

And it will be a gorgeous day in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve, so expect alot of hikers, particularly on lower Windgate, Bell, Jeep Road portion of Lost Dog, and Sunrise. The descent down the back-half of Sunrise will likely have the most hikers, and it can be very fast and slippery, with some blind curves, so please be careful and very considerate.

Looking forward to it, and see you all there!!
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    sounds cool to me

Got a suspension fork
    Hey Walt, weren't the top three finishers last year all on SS's?

As Walt mentions, the Quad is not a race, but that doesn't mean that we can't have 'number plates' with our MTBR names so that we know who the heck each other is.

I don't have any graphic design skills, but attempted to put something together.

pedaller
    In...until I'm tapped out.

Then I'm out.

Peace.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

K3N
    Certified slacker
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    Hey Walt, weren't the top three finishers last year all on SS's?

As Walt mentions, the Quad is not a race, but that doesn't mean that we can't have 'number plates' with our MTBR names so that we know who the heck each other is.

I don't have any graphic design skills, but attempted to put something together.

Cool idea Randy! I say make those mandatory, as luck would have it I would end up behind some schmuck who's out just toolin around and get lost.

I am Walt

Listen! Great Map!

Thanks to MTBR-AZ member steelmonkey, here is a GREAT map of the route. I will have some printed copies of this on Sunday, if you want/need one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-quad-map.jpg  

Ride more; post less...

crai9nelson
    I did the Quad today (Saturday) due to schedule change. It was my first time doing the Quad in one ride... yikes.

I started the clock at the green gate entering 104th.

Here are my times:

104th to top of Windgate - 47:44
    Windgate to top of Bell Pass - 1H 08M
    Bell to start of Sunrise climb at Ringtail intersection - 2:04
    Ringtail intersection to top of Sunrise - 2:31
    To water fountain - 2:44
    Fountain to Windmill/Coachwhip intersection - 3:58
    Windmill to top of Windgate - 4:19
    Windgate to green gate at 104th - Total time 4:47

Almost ate a barrel cactus on Sonoran Trail going over the rock section where the chain fence is... close call.

Have fun tomorrow guys! Wish I could of joined you... next time.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by crai9nelson View Post
    I did the Quad today (Saturday) due to schedule change. It was my first time doing the Quad in one ride... yikes.

I started the clock at the green gate entering 104th.

Here are my times:

104th to top of Windgate - 47:44
    Windgate to top of Bell Pass - 1H 08M
    Bell to start of Sunrise climb at Ringtail intersection - 2:04
    Ringtail intersection to top of Sunrise - 2:31
    To water fountain - 2:44
    Fountain to Windmill/Coachwhip intersection - 3:58
    Windmill to top of Windgate - 4:19
    Windgate to green gate at 104th - Total time 4:47

Almost ate a barrel cactus on Sonoran Trail going over the rock section where the chain fence is... close call.

Have fun tomorrow guys! Wish I could of joined you... next time.
    Awesome job, smoking pace.

Not a Barry supporter.
    Remember, there IS water at the bottom of the Sunrise descent, which is about 2/3 of the way through the ride, and about 3-4 hours in (for most). So have enough water, etc. to get to that point; then you can refill. I *MAY* be able to park a car in that lot, and stash some snacks, etc, but I'm not sure...I will let you know at the start.
    Will V8 be included in said snacks or is it is BYOV8...
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

I am Walt
    Will V8 be included in said snacks or is it is BYOV8...
    Gonna make it, Rodney??

I ended up at a Marine Corps family day function all day today, so I was not able to pull some snacks together. All snacks, including said V8, will be BYO!
    Ride more; post less...

Thanks to MTBR-AZ member steelmonkey, here is a GREAT map of the route. I will have some printed copies of this on Sunday, if you want/need one.
    It's been 2 yrs since I did this route...but I thought Tom's Thumb was added as the first climb (instead of Windgate)?? Not that I'm complaining or anything...it's hard enough w/o TT!

See you all in the AM.

Thx...Doug

Not a Barry supporter.
    Gonna make it, Rodney??

I ended up at a Marine Corps family day function all day today, so I was not able to pull some snacks together. All snacks, including said V8, will be BYO!
    Yep....Rats, that means I gotta lug all that extra juice up three passes ...oh well, that's what gears are for.
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi View Post
    It's been 2 yrs since I did this route...but I thought Tom's Thumb was added as the first climb (instead of Windgate)?? Not that I'm complaining or anything...it's hard enough w/o TT!

See you all in the AM.

Thx...Doug
    Hey Doug!! Two years ago, some riders did TT as an optional (harder) first Bypass, calling that route the "Gnardruple." But that was more of a one-off, and the route remains the traditional Quad route, as that seems to be enough...;-)

See you in the morn!
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sitting at work.. hating every single one of you

Got a suspension fork
    What a beat down! Nice to see some familiar faces out there and meet a few new people.

I started out a bit aggressive on the pace and then suffered the consequences after Via Linda on the Jeep road, Sonoran and through to the end. Turned in a respectable time, I'm in awe of the 4h35m a few people turned in.

Gangi - you ran a smarter ride than me, I was hoping to tail you to the finish but I burned too many matches early in the ride.

Thanks Walt, good stuff.

My personal sufferfest, 6th Annual Quad.

Edit: Oh and I did go to the Taliesin Lookout! It may or may not be official, but it feels right.

I am Walt
    Nice job, Randy!

Great day out there today, and I mean the whole day, for the Back of the Bus group, with an elapsed time of 8:44 (though my moving time was 5:37). Our motto: Leave No Rider Behind!! And we didn't!!

Anyway, more to follow, including pics and the informal results, from our "honor system sign-out notebook"...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Opps, I forgot to sign out (and Christie too). Nice day out, first time riding in that area. Felt plenty strong, hanging out with my riding friends, eating plenty of food. Then on that crap-o-trail "Sonoran", Mechanical failure! Chain breakage and no tools in the bag! I hung out a while waiting for another rider to have the right tools but, nada. Ended up "riding" 11+ miles with no chain! Brain fart on the tool kit, but by the time I was half way back up Windgate, I figgured that I might as well keep going rather than spending more time trying to fix a fubar'ed chain.
    There is a big difference between ripping and skidding.

Carnivore
    I'm glad I made it. I had raced the MBAA event Sat and was wondering how I'd feel for the QBP but Tomas guilted me into coming. My goals were to finish under 6hrs and in the top 20. Mission accomplished. What wasn't in the plan was to do a spectacular over the bars dismount and roll coming down Sunrise. My bike went cartwheeling down the hill and into a cholla cactus. I knew I banged up my left wrist pretty good but figured I could make it if I just didn't stop and let it swell up. As long as I death gripped on that side it didn't hurt too bad. Relaxing allowed too much movement and hurt like hell. Going down Windgate was brutal especially considering my rear brake was all but gone too. My wrist is swollen, useless and painful now but hopefully not broken.

I kinda felt like a hard man for sticking it out until Tomas showed up at the finish with no chain. He did the last 11 miles totally without it. He was even laughing and smiling when he came in. Bad dude right there.

It was a good ride but I'm not in a hurry to do it again. I was kinda tired at the end but it was just survival getting over Windgate with my jacked up wrist. Maybe next year when the memory of the pain has faded.

The best thing was meeting some new guys and hanging with the hardmen at the end. You know who you are.

Thanks for putting it together Walt.

I am Walt

2012 Results

OK, here are the "informal and quasi-official" results for this year's Quad. These are based on an honor system, by each person signing out in a notebook with the time they finished. Also based on total elapsed time, and not pedal time, though I've noted that, if available.

Also check out the Strava segment page for this at: WaltAZ's Quadruple Bypass Gate 2 Gate. This free site ROCKS, and aggregates and compares GPS data from all who sign up. Go there, sign up, and start uploading! Note that the leader for the Quad segment on Strava did not do the Quad route; he did a different route, but with the same start/finish, but I don't know how to correct that.

Anyhow, here are the results (and MTBR handle, if I know them):
    T1 - Yt White (pedal time 3:44), James Gerber (pedal time 3:49), Keith Kollm (pedal time 4:00)...all total elapsed time of 4:35 (course record, beating Jeff Hemperley's SS time from last year of 4:40)
    4 - Phil Wilson, 4:42
    5 - Tim Stefol (sp?), 4:54
    6 - David Mandlevy (sp?), 5:04
    7 - Travis Bloedel (sp?), 5:13
    8 - Michael Lugo, 5:20
    9 - Will Oz, 5:21
    10 - Doug Gangi (dgangi), 5:28
    11 - Randy Harris (randyharris), 5:40...SS (Did anybody else ride a SS for this?)
    T12 - Ron Cazort (zort), Chris Dunn (gila monster), 5:49
    14 - Harry Travis, 5:52
    15 - Scott Wortendyke, 6:04
    16 - Ryan Zilhsu (sp?), 6:15
    17 - Charles Wilson, 6:22
    18 - Gill Couto, 6:40
    19 - Derek Baranczuk, 6:55
    20 - Jeff Hemdeman (sp?), 7:05
    21 - Julian Gonzalez, 7:17
    22 - Dennis Unistice (sp?), 7:45
    T23 - Dave Rowe (dryheat), Rodney Marksberry (crash_flmb), 7:43
    T25 - The Sedonuts Crew (Don Buffoni, Zach Greenfield, Dave Cichane), 8:30
    T28 - The Back of the Bus Group (Deanna (coyotekis), Rick, Todd, Pat, Robert, Justin and me (waltz - 5:37 pedal time), 8:44

We had DNF's from John Schilling (free skier), Ken Griffin, Brian Cherry (brianc) and Noel Garza (NoelG). Dave Woodhams (liteandfast) did an Outer Double in 5:40. I didn't get a sign out from Tomas and Christie.

That represents the 41 riders that I counted at the start, so let me know if I missed anyone/anything.

Again, great job by ALL, and thanks for coming out!! Can't wait til next year!!
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Chalkpaw View Post
    Opps, I forgot to sign out (and Christie too). Nice day out, first time riding in that area. Felt plenty strong, hanging out with my riding friends, eating plenty of food. Then on that crap-o-trail "Sonoran", Mechanical failure! Chain breakage and no tools in the bag! I hung out a while waiting for another rider to have the right tools but, nada. Ended up "riding" 11+ miles with no chain! Brain fart on the tool kit, but by the time I was half way back up Windgate, I figgured that I might as well keep going rather than spending more time trying to fix a fubar'ed chain.
    Oh no!!! Shoot, sorry to hear that, Tomas! Good job "riding" it out, though...

Do you recall what time you and Christie finished?

Thanks for coming down!!
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by gila monster View Post
    I'm glad I made it. I had raced the MBAA event Sat and was wondering how I'd feel for the QBP but Tomas guilted me into coming. My goals were to finish under 6hrs and in the top 20. Mission accomplished. What wasn't in the plan was to do a spectacular over the bars dismount and roll coming down Sunrise. My bike went cartwheeling down the hill and into a cholla cactus. I knew I banged up my left wrist pretty good but figured I could make it if I just didn't stop and let it swell up. As long as I death gripped on that side it didn't hurt too bad. Relaxing allowed too much movement and hurt like hell. Going down Windgate was brutal especially considering my rear brake was all but gone too. My wrist is swollen, useless and painful now but hopefully not broken.

I kinda felt like a hard man for sticking it out until Tomas showed up at the finish with no chain. He did the last 11 miles totally without it. He was even laughing and smiling when he came in. Bad dude right there.

It was a good ride but I'm not in a hurry to do it again. I was kinda tired at the end but it was just survival getting over Windgate with my jacked up wrist. Maybe next year when the memory of the pain has faded.

The best thing was meeting some new guys and hanging with the hardmen at the end. You know who you are.

Thanks for putting it together Walt.
    Awesome job, and sorry to hear about the crash/wrist. Where did you go down, on Sunrise? Great job gutting it out...descending Windgate is, indeed, punishing when healthy!
    Ride more; post less...

gravity challenged
    May 2009
    Was supposed to do the outer double with Dave but since he's liteandfast and I'm heavyandslow, I didn't see him very much.
    It was a bit of a struggle and there was plenty o walkin going on, but I made it. That was a personal goal so I'm stoked. Can't say I'll be back next year though....
    - Brian

Carnivore
    I would be 13th behind Ron. He finished a little ahead of me but we both signed in at the same time at 2:04. I guess he should be a minute or two earlier.

Chris

edit.

I crashed about 1/3 of the way down. Right before a left hand switchback there were a couple of hikers side by side and I kind of did a track stand on the edge of a little drop waiting to see where they were going so that I could pick a line. I rolled off a little 1 foot drop that had a rock in just the right spot below to totally stop my front wheel and over I went. No speed but plenty of air because it was pretty steep. I managed to stay out of the cholla myself but the bike launched pretty good. There were cholla balls all over the place. The hiker guys were pretty impressed. I think it scared them more than me. They did comment at how adept I was a doing the superman followed by a tuck and roll. The bike was mostly OK but I had to spend about 10 minutes pulling cholla out of the grips. That is where my rear brake started to go though.
    Last edited by gila monster; 01-29-2012 at 11:15 PM.

mtbr member
    OK, here are the "informal and quasi-official" results for this year's Quad. These are based on an honor system, by each person signing out in a notebook with the time they finished. Also based on total elapsed time, and not pedal time, though I've noted that, if available.

Also check out the Strava segment page for this at: WaltAZ's Quadruple Bypass Gate 2 Gate. This free site ROCKS, and aggregates and compares GPS data from all who sign up. Go there, sign up, and start uploading! Note that the leader for the Quad segment on Strava did not do the Quad route; he did a different route, but with the same start/finish, but I don't know how to correct that.

Anyhow, here are the results (and MTBR handle, if I know them):
    T1 - Yt White (pedal time 3:44), James Gerber (pedal time 3:49), Keith Kollm (pedal time 4:00)...all total elapsed time of 4:35 (course record, beating Jeff Hemperley's SS time from last year of 4:40)
    4 - Phil Wilson, 4:42
    5 - Tim Stefol (sp?), 4:54
    6 - David Mandlevy (sp?), 5:04
    7 - Travis Bloedel (sp?), 5:13
    8 - Michael Lugo, 5:20
    9 - Will Oz, 5:21
    10 - Doug Gangi (dgangi), 5:28
    11 - Randy Harris (randyharris), 5:40...SS (Did anybody else ride a SS for this?)
    T12 - Ron Cazort (zort), Chris Dunn (gila monster), 5:49
    14 - Harry Travis, 5:52
    15 - Scott Wortendyke, 6:04
    16 - Ryan Zilhsu (sp?), 6:15
    17 - Charles Wilson, 6:22
    18 - Gill Couto, 6:40
    19 - Derek Baranczuk, 6:55
    20 - Jeff Hemdeman (sp?), 7:05
    21 - Julian Gonzalez, 7:17
    22 - Dennis Unistice (sp?), 7:45
    T23 - Dave Rowe (dryheat), Rodney Marksberry (crash_flmb), 7:43
    T25 - The Sedonuts Crew (Don Buffoni, Zach Greenfield, Dave Cichane), 8:30
    T28 - The Back of the Bus Group (Deanna (coyotekis), Rick, Todd, Pat, Robert, Justin and me (waltz - 5:37 pedal time), 8:44

We had DNF's from John Schilling (free skier), Ken Griffin, Brian Cherry (brianc) and Noel Garza (NoelG). Dave Woodhams (liteandfast) did an Outer Double in 5:40. I didn't get a sign out from Tomas and Christie.

That represents the 41 riders that I counted at the start, so let me know if I missed anyone/anything.

Again, great job by ALL, and thanks for coming out!! Can't wait til next year!!
    Kudos to all. That's some crazy ****...
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

TS1
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Great riding with the back of the bus group - look forward to next year

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by TS1 View Post
    Great riding with the back of the bus group - look forward to next year
    Good job, Todd...enjoyed riding with you!

And I'll have pics up tonight...uploaded them last night, but didn't have the time (nor energy) to sort and post them. And I have that GREAT picture of you mid-crash...which FOR SURE will be one of those I post!!
    Ride more; post less...

TS1
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I was hoping there would be some technical issues uploading that picture

aka Diesel
    Awesome day out there, and as always, the two things that you can ALWAYS count on for the Quad, didn't fail to appear in full force!

1) It brought the hurt

2) The FUN and friendship built in pulling one another through a challenging experience.

I had an awesome BOTB 3rd Quad, and I wouldn't change seats for the world! Way to go, everyone who wanted to crush it, and everyone who fought the Quad crushing them.

pedaller
    The Triple was a kick in the pants! (after some technical difficulties at the start )

I really wanted to enjoy that Windgate downhill after #4 but the craptacular part before it was not really that appealing....well not as appealing as taking the road back from the bottom of Sunrise and drinking in the parking lot was anyway.

BC & I had an awesome time as a "twosome" for this group ride. Maybe next year, I won't lock my keys and gear in the car at the start again.

And maybe we'll due all 4.

maybe.

Thanks for hosting Walt & babe.

Good times.

aka Diesel

Thanks for hosting Walt & babe.

Good times.
    Haha... That was funny... Kept me laughing to myself all day. Or was that the delirium?

We looked for you and Brian the rest of the ride! Thought for SURE you'd try to catch us on a diff bypass. You guys were missed, but glad you got Windgate in.. hardest part of the Quad, IMO. Next year!

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by TS1 View Post
    I was hoping there would be some technical issues uploading that picture
    Oh you just WAIT TS1...! It is THE money shot of the day!! My lawyer says I can't comment further. ;-)

mtbr member
    Haha... That was funny... Kept me laughing to myself all day. Or was that the delirium?

We looked for you and Brian the rest of the ride! Thought for SURE you'd try to catch us on a diff bypass. You guys were missed, but glad you got Windgate in.. hardest part of the Quad, IMO. Next year!
    we were chasing the ghost (you and the BOTB group) all day. heard all kinds of reports of the goings on from surprised and happy hikers. the 20min late start coupled with two flats (pincher going UP windgate and Pincher on the jeep road connector) made it not possible.

I thought we could have caught you at Bell or bottom, then given was hope thanks to a report at Sunrise intersection, that prompted me to proclaim "I can get over this mountain". When we saw two lone bikers on the jeep road to hell way down below....there was no hope of catching you.

The new goal was to beat you to the parking lot. It was in interesting ride back. Found the Westwood connector. good AES training, long fireroad section after near bonking. Even got to see an ambulance drive onto a fairway and the freshest smelling pit toilet in the world alone the route.

beers in the parking lot was super fun, seeing Thomas's perma grin when he rolled in and casually said he just did 11 miels with no chain was priceless. But then the group started getting calls from SO...thus the party had to break up. but had hoped to see you all finish.

Noel and I headed to 4 Peaks for a burger. When we left we noticed a familier car with to IBIS on the pack, so we new at least some of the last 5 had finished.
    b

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by brianc View Post

Noel and I headed to 4 Peaks for a burger. When we left we noticed a familier car with to IBIS on the pack, so we new at least some of the last 5 had finished.
    Happy hikers? That wasn't our experience 90% of the day!!
    I wonder who you guys saw, if you just saw two lone riders not the fire road. Our posse was 7 strong. Hmm.

Yeah you guys were prob long gone when we got in, as always, we took our time taking pictures, chatting, and getting out. Sorry we missed everyone. It was crickets in the parking lot when we got in. We beelined for In&Out burger, then came home and Walt made a killer egg and ham scramble.

Fun day, and thank goodness it's a year away. Time to train for OP!

pedaller
    seeing Thomas's perma grin when he rolled in and casually said he just did 11 miles with no chain was priceless.
    Even more priceless was when Christie rolled in AFTER him uttering: "Why? Why?? WHY??" and Thomas (and the rest of us) started laughing.

What a sick bunch!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Had a awesome time. Again ended up with the greatest group of guys. Making the section of rock with the chain was killer

I am Walt
    That was the Sedonuts crew, I believe - Don, Zach and Dave...they finished right before us, with one of them battling cramping most of the day. Great guys, and super-strong downhillers...they shredded (literally) the downhills...
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    I wonder who you guys saw, if you just saw two lone riders not the fire road. Our posse was 7 strong. Hmm.
    Lots of seemingly-irritated hikers, all day...maybe because we were the tail-end of 41 mountain bikers...?

Based on the timing, I'll bet the two lone riders down below on the fire road were Dave and Rodney.
    Ride more; post less...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelg View Post
    Even more priceless was when Christie rolled in AFTER him uttering: "Why? Why?? WHY??"
    A common refrain all day...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Lots of seemingly-irritated hikers, all day...maybe because we were the tail-end of 41 mountain bikers...?
    Honestly, who do you think you are to be out on the trail on a Sunday?

Great job to all who went out to show the McDowell's who's boss 4 times over!

mtbr member

yes happy hikers. and most commented on seeing more bikes today than any other time. We just had polite conversations with them. I feel a lot of the 'tude can be displaced with a few smiles. Of course not all of it.

Sure there was a guy with head phones so loud that we had to ride behind him for awhile before he'd move. but we just gave him a smile and went on our way. sure there were others that didn't want to talk, but I never felt any bad vibes. then again I generally stop for hikers unless they move before I get a chance.

I've been in large groups, generally in the back and hikers seem some what overwhelmed, with all the biker (think squealer 100+) but even then, if you take the time to chat with them they end up being excited for seeing people that do these sort of things.

maybe I'm the odd ball.
    b

Give it a crank
    Out of the many rides I've done at the McD's, including a McD-60, this Quad topped my list of real McD rides. What a super ride! I felt like all of my previous McD rides were just training rides for the Quad.

Most of the hikers were friendly from start to finish. Many even threw out quick supportive comments like "I could never do that" and "That doesn't look easy". Lots of smiles for sure.

Awesome ride!

Carnivore
    I'd say about 20% of the hikers I encountered did not reply to my "good mornings" or "hi's" Some definitely were angry and wouldn't even look at me. Keep in mind there were many that I actually stopped for and not one that I buzzed. I never passed a single one at faster than walking pace and I gave every one a greeting.

I can understand that if you are hiking uphill it is an inconvenience to have to step aside and let anyone pass but I bet they don't feel the same about hikers passing.

I have Hope hubs with a fairly loud rear freehub plus just braking and crunching rocks is kind of loud so I really tried not to come upon people too fast because I didn't want them to think I was barreling down on them. While descending I slowed down way before reaching people so as not to scare them off the trail. I was even more careful with people with dogs.

I feel bad that so many seemed annoyed but I don't know what else to do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gila monster View Post
    I'd say about 20% of the hikers I encountered did not reply to my "good mornings" or "hi's"

*snip*

I can understand that if you are hiking uphill it is an inconvenience to have to step aside and let anyone pass but I bet they don't feel the same about hikers passing.

*snip*

I feel bad that so many seemed annoyed but I don't know what else to do.
    Having hiked a little bit over the valley, I'd say that the group re call the 20%ers have the same disposition of annoyance regardless of mode for transportation. For some reason, people in the valley are still pi$$-off about anyone that's in their way. They live in a world dominated by themselves. if you're a hiker or MTBer, you get the same cold feeling from them.

Thankfully they are a minority.
    b

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    My wife, her toy fox terrier, and I were hiking out there Sunday afternoon and an amazing number of hikers wouldn't acknowledge our greetings either.

I didn't realize it at the time but the back of the bus crew passed us on the last downhill run and were very polite and thanked us for stepping out of the path. I told my wife that they were probably practicing for this big quad bypass ride coming up...

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_S View Post
    My wife, her toy fox terrier, and I were hiking out there Sunday afternoon and an amazing number of hikers wouldn't acknowledge our greetings either.

I didn't realize it at the time but the back of the bus crew passed us on the last downhill run and were very polite and thanked us for stepping out of the path. I told my wife that they were probably practicing for this big quad bypass ride coming up...
    Ha, awesome post!! Interesting that you noticed that same vibe. I'm trying to remember where we saw you, but I was so hammered by that point from the Windgate descent, that it all blurs together...
    Ride more; post less...

Tucson, AZ
    Ha, awesome post!! Interesting that you noticed that same vibe. I'm trying to remember where we saw you, but I was so hammered by that point from the Windgate descent, that it all blurs together...
    Sorry I missed it. I like the word "hammered."

I would choose......"shambles", that is how I describe my body after riding the APC 115. Besides a 35 "break" climbing up Antelope Peak, I stopped for 25 minutes over the course of 13 hours.

Sad thing is the winner came in nearly 2 hours before me (Tour Divide winner, Kurt R.). Time to start riding more.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_S View Post

Okay now THAT is funny!! :-)
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

Quote Originally Posted by randyharris View Post
    Gangi - you ran a smarter ride than me, I was hoping to tail you to the finish but I burned too many matches early in the ride.
    I don't think I would call my tactic "smart". I was just taking it easy and having a fun day...not to mention the 20 minutes I got sidetracked helping Zort put his pedal back together after the first bypass. So I still had some gas in the tank on that 4th and final cimb.

I probably could have finished 20-30 minutes faster if I really pushed it...but then I would have been in pain, and it was nice to ride back to Basha's without whimpering for a change!

Anyway, you did awesome on a rigid SS. I rode my Bianchi on a triple bypass a few years ago (32/20 gearing), and it hurt. But you did all 4 on an SS. Well done!

Thx...Doug

Got a suspension fork
    Sorry I missed it. I like the word "hammered."

I would choose......"shambles", that is how I describe my body after riding the APC 115. Besides a 35 "break" climbing up Antelope Peak, I stopped for 25 minutes over the course of 13 hours.

Sad thing is the winner came in nearly 2 hours before me (Tour Divide winner, Kurt R.). Time to start riding more.
    25 minutes over 13 hours! You slacker.

haha

I am Walt

Pics!

Some pics...not gonna try to caption them all, but they include the whole group at the start, then of the Back of the Bus group throughout the ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-004.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-009.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-029.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-031.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-040.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-043.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-047.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-056.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-061.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-068.jpg  

Ride more; post less...

I am Walt

More Pics

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-070.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-088.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-092.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-093.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-100.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-102.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-104.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-106.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-108.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-111.jpg  

Ride more; post less...

I am Walt

And more pics...

This batch includes a couple pics of the Sedonuts crew, to prove that they, indeed, enjoy world-class uphill...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-112.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-113.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-117.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-119.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-120.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-124.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-125.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-127.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-128.jpg  

6th Annual Quadruple Bypass - Sat, Jan. 28th, 2012-2012-quadruple-bypass-138.jpg  

Ride more; post less...

YT
    mtbr member
    Thanks for organizing the Quad Walt. That was alot of fun, and perfect weather. Hope everybody enjoyed their time in the Mcdowells as much as i did. Good times with good people (hikers included)

aka Diesel
    I feel a lot of the 'tude can be displaced with a few smiles...

maybe I'm the odd ball.
    1) Well there's my problem right there! You know me! I NEVER smile while riding. ;-)

2) Maybe? (heh)

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by YT View Post
    Thanks for organizing the Quad Walt. That was alot of fun, and perfect weather. Hope everybody enjoyed their time in the Mcdowells as much as i did. Good times with good people (hikers included)
    Great riding, YT!! Don't know how you guys are able to hammer that ride out so fast! Thanks for coming out!
    Ride more; post less...

Carnivore
    Great photos.

Dirt Merchant
    Beachin' photos. Looked like a great time!
    Keep pedalin'. You can catch your breath on the downhill!

'10 Stumpjumper Comp FSR
    '06 Rockhopper Comp

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Great pics....I had a blast with the back of the bus.

Not a Barry supporter.
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Was starting to think someone was a little too obsessed with takin pics of CoyoteKis.. then I realized it was Walt posting em

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by SHNIPE View Post
    Was starting to think someone was a little too obsessed with takin pics of CoyoteKis.. then I realized it was Walt posting em
    LOL! Yeah, no stalking cred there.
    He did kinda end up with a lot of me. Sadly, I only got ONE of him! This year I was too busy trying to survive, to take turns with the camera.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I always enjoy pics post ride but this is one I know there wont be TONS because you guys are all almost dead near the end

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by SHNIPE View Post
    I always enjoy pics post ride but this is one I know there wont be TONS because you guys are all almost dead near the end
    Exactly!! Since people do this at their own pace, and we make it a point to sweep, you get the group at the start, and group at the end, of pretty much nothing in-between!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Walt: one of the Sedonanuts here. Thought I was just heading out for a big ride in Phoenix with a few guys, only to stumble into your event. First ride in the valley, and it was a good one. Thanks for putting it on, and let us know if you end up in our neck of the woods so we can show you & yours around. Might have to give it a go next year with better preparation so I don't run out of water 1/2 way down promenade. Oops.

Oh yeah, thanks for the directions to Four Peaks too. Food was solid, and the Kiltlifter a nice post ride treat.
    Grammar and spelling errors are complementary.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by schwing_ding View Post
    Walt: one of the Sedonanuts here. Thought I was just heading out for a big ride in Phoenix with a few guys, only to stumble into your event. First ride in the valley, and it was a good one. Thanks for putting it on, and let us know if you end up in our neck of the woods so we can show you & yours around. Might have to give it a go next year with better preparation so I don't run out of water 1/2 way down promenade. Oops.

Oh yeah, thanks for the directions to Four Peaks too. Food was solid, and the Kiltlifter a nice post ride treat.
    Great to meet you guys, and glad you did the Quad!

And yep...definitely need to be there next year!! Loved watching you guys take off and shred the downhills...hope you enjoyed carving up all that vert!

Deanna and I would love to take you up on a tour of your 'hood! Will let you know when we can get up that way...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah I will be back next year with alot more preparation so I am not dragging as bad. Was a great day outdoors and glad I did and appreciate the 6 of you waiting for me on the climbs as my legs were so not prepared for all of that abuse --Justin

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcataz View Post
    Yeah I will be back next year with alot more preparation so I am not dragging as bad. Was a great day outdoors and glad I did and appreciate the 6 of you waiting for me on the climbs as my legs were so not prepared for all of that abuse --Justin
    Justin, great job hanging in there, and getting through the whole thing! And no problem re the waiting...in the Back of the Bus crew, we make sure to pull everyone through the whole thing!

See you next year for sure!!
    Ride more; post less...

bigringinit
    Jan 2010
    Walt
    Just saw the pics....you got some great photos`.
    Thanks again for putting on a great ride...that was so fun and rewarding....love the back of the bus crew!
    Count me in next year!
    Rick

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick85255 View Post
    Walt
    Just saw the pics....you got some great photos`.
    Thanks again for putting on a great ride...that was so fun and rewarding....love the back of the bus crew!
    Count me in next year!
    Rick
    Hey Rick,
    I was in the back of the bus group with you last year!! Made the big time being in Sam's vid too!! I'would have been back there again this year, but had to bail early this year. At least Walt captured a riding pic of me to prove I showed up! (3rd rider in pic #2) Catch you next year more than likely.

-John
    My Two Schillingsworth