602- Mtbr.com

Thread: 602

Occidental Tourist

Any suggestions on a loop from Central ave entrance to check our the new trail?
    I was thinking up Ranger and SW on National to the new connector and down. What do I do when I get down? Is there a section near Telegraph I can ride back up? Suggestions for a more funner way to ride it?
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by YuriB
    Any suggestions on a loop from Central ave entrance to check our the new trail?
    I was thinking up Ranger and SW on National to the new connector and down. What do I do when I get down? Is there a section near Telegraph I can ride back up? Suggestions for a more funner way to ride it?
    Up road to Ranger to National. East on National to 620. Down 620 to Gila. West on Gila to National. West on National to Bajada. East on Bajada to road to trails west of road but east of the Alta range (can't recall the name of this low-land trail). Unfortunately, there is no connector trail between 620/Gila and Telegraph/Desert Classic on the south side flats of SoMo. The housing butts right up against the steep side of the mtn in that area - nowhere to build an "easy" trail.

Kathleen in AZ
    I've added the approx location of the 602 trail to Epicrider Dale's latest SoMo map (west end) to show the trails I mentioned above....

edit... oops, I called it "620" instead of "602" on the map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 602-west-somo-4-2010.jpg  

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtGurl
    Up road to Ranger to National. East on National to 620. Down 620 to Gila. West on Gila to National. West on National to Bajada. East on Bajada to road to trails west of road but east of the Alta range (can't recall the name of this low-land trail). Unfortunately, there is no connector trail between 620/Gila and Telegraph/Desert Classic on the south side flats of SoMo. The housing butts right up against the steep side of the mtn in that area - nowhere to build an "easy" trail.
    Makes sense. Thanks!
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

Occidental Tourist
    I've added the approx location of the 620 trail to Epicrider Dale's latest SoMo map (west end) to show the trails I mentioned above....
    That helps. I was thinking the mine drop was the 602. So I have to go East on National after climbing up Ranger to get to 602.

Kathleen in AZ
    That helps. I was thinking the mine drop was the 602. So I have to go East on National after climbing up Ranger to get to 602.
    Your suggested way up Kiwanis to National would work also, but would be lots more hike-a-bike than my route. I guess it depends on how ok you are with doing some of the loop on the road. Have fun! I need to get out there soon and sample the 602. The top up on the ridgeline has been there forever, but always ended at a huge rock carin and never dropped to the south. I always thought that'd be a cool connection to the south side. Guess I wasn't the only one thinking that way

oooh, shiny...
    What is the Gila trail like? I've never heard of it. Is it easy to spot if I wanted to pick it up from the west end of National?

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry-daddy
    What is the Gila trail like? I've never heard of it. Is it easy to spot if I wanted to pick it up from the west end of National?
    Gila trail west to east is harder than east to west, but worth the effort. You'll feel like you're out in the middle of NOWHERE! From National, you know when you cross the wash at the very end of the drop and then climb a short distance before dropping again towards San Juan road? Well at the top of the short climb from the wash, look for a faint "trail" heading due west. That'll hook you up to the Gila connector. Finding Gila again out of the washes around the ruins will also take some route finding. But once you are on it, you will be thrilled. It's a beauty of a trail between the ruins and Chandler Rd. Same grade as Desert Classic, but is way more flowy and interesting.

Rhino
    is the 602 easy to recognize where it ties into National. I've ridden National a couple times in the past month and don't remember the trail. Gila is very easy to find where it ties into the west end of National.

oooh, shiny...
    Thanks KK, and Yuri for the post. I just may head out there this afternoon seeing as it's nice and cool out and I've got the day off!

MTBikeAZ.com
    I just rode the completed ridgline trail that is south of Gila. It's a great steep climb and a rollercoaster descent.

http://mtbikeaz.com/2010/04/20/620-ridgeline/

I've been exploring out there quite a bit the past month and am liking the new routes these trail offer. Here are some short clips of the descents on the new ridgeline trail.

Mike
    MTBikeAZ.com
    --
    How fast can you climb?
    http://helipadtt.blogspot.com

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBarqsMan
    I just rode the completed ridgline trail that is south of Gila. It's a great steep climb and a rollercoaster descent.

http://mtbikeaz.com/2010/04/20/620-ridgeline/

I've been exploring out there quite a bit the past month and am liking the new routes these trail offer. Here are some short clips of the descents on the new ridgeline trail.
    So there's a 620 and a 602? Is there a connection between Gila and Bees Knees on the east side? I really need to get out more...

Here's my attempt at drawing in your GPS on Dale's map:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 602-west-somo-2.jpg  

MTBikeAZ.com
    I'm pretty sure It's all called the 620.
    http://www.azcentral.com/community/a...ction0402.html

Funny thing is that none of the new trails are actually on the 620 purchase (as near as I can tell). http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...ent/031820.pdf

The 620 area will give these trails official trailheads and official names whenever that is...I'm happy with the "Bees Knees" trail because it really is a magnificent trail. Much more bike friendly than the Gila View Ridge trail (marker 33 off National).

Yes there is a singletrack/doubletrack connection between Gila and the Bees.

I even saw another trail in progress out there... West somo is shaping up.

Now I've seen, in Google Earth, trails North of Alta that skirt the boundary. Anyone been on those? I'm going to explore those real soon.
    Mike
    MTBikeAZ.com
    --
    How fast can you climb?

Kathleen in AZ
    I'm pretty sure It's all called the 620.
    http://www.azcentral.com/community/a...ction0402.html

Funny thing is that none of the new trails are actually on the 620 purchase (as near as I can tell). http://phoenix.gov/webcms/groups/int...ent/031820.pdf
    That absolutely rocks! I had not seen the announcement of the land purchase by the city.

The 620 area will give these trails official trailheads and official names whenever that is...I'm happy with the "Bees Knees" trail because it really is a magnificent trail. Much more bike friendly than the Gila View Ridge trail (marker 33 off National).

Yes there is a singletrack/doubletrack connection between Gila and the Bees.

I even saw another trail in progress out there... West somo is shaping up.
    Ok, I'm thinking I need to ride these trails this weekend.... Home, Desert Classic, road, Gila, Bees Knees, Gila, National, Bajada, road, Ranger, National, 620 Ridgeline, Gila, road, Desert Classic, hot tub. Sounds like a plan - thanks for the inspiration Yuri and Bargsman!

Now I've seen, in Google Earth, trails North of Alta that skirt the boundary. Anyone been on those? I'm going to explore those real soon.
    My buddy Scotty A lives north of Alta and has been exploring those trails. Ride em and add to your map! Speaking of your excellent trail map, here is a bootleg version of SoMo west with trail names added.

And now I *really* must get back to work
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 602-west-somo-bargsman-map.jpg  

mtbr member
    I rode the Gila section a few weeks back and got my a** handed to me. Steep, Tight and Loose. Also Mike's video's make it look easier then it really is

I'm sticking to my excuse that I was suffering from baby fatigue and still trying to get use to platforms.

oooh, shiny...
    Just got back from my first attempt at riding the south west end of SoMo. Started from where national crosses San Juan Rd. and headed out Gila. Made it about a mile up Bees Knees before getting an unrepairable flat. Looked like a primo trail though, I'll definitely be back out there soon!

Plasko
    .... east of the Alta range (can't recall the name of this low-land trail).....
    That would be Max Delta Loop, which will take you over to the base of Holbert.

That is all I can contribute to the thread at the moment.

Losing Ground
    Ok, I'm thinking I need to ride these trails this weekend.... Home, Desert Classic, road, Gila, Bees Knees, Gila, National, Bajada, road, Ranger, National, 620 Ridgeline, Gila, road, Desert Classic, hot tub. Sounds like a plan - thanks for the inspiration Yuri and Bargsman!
    So is this shaping up into a group ride? ...Yuri, DG, BarqsMan?

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Guipago
    Quite possibly... 7 or 8 AM this Sunday starting in Ahwatukee near the DC water tank or Warpaint entrances. Cenobite and MyBike'sBroken are supposedly in with me - the Tuscon guy is pushing for 8AM start instead of 7 It's an unofficial ride right now but post up if you are interested in joining!

Occidental Tourist
    I'm thinking of a 6:30 start at the central ave entrance but I don't think most folks want to go that early.

"No Clue Crew"
    Quite possibly... 7 or 8 AM this Sunday starting in Ahwatukee near the DC water tank or Warpaint entrances. Cenobite and MyBike'sBroken are supposedly in with me - the Tuscon guy is pushing for 8AM start instead of 7 It's an unofficial ride right now but post up if you are interested in joining!
    Go ahead and remove that "supposedly in with me" when you are refering to me ! I am looking forward to meeting everyone just as much as I am riding new trails.

Losing Ground
    I'm interested and down for whatever.

oooh, shiny...
    Count me in!

"No Clue Crew"
    I'm thinking of a 6:30 start at the central ave entrance but I don't think most folks want to go that early.
    6:30 sounds perfect to me

Occidental Tourist
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39
    6:30 sounds perfect to me
    OK, 6:30 at the stone blds for an up Ranger, National, 602/620 exploring session. Saturday.

"No Clue Crew"
    OK, 6:30 at the stone blds for an up Ranger, National, 602/620 exploring session. Saturday.

Very cool. See you tomorrow at 6:30.

Losing Ground
    So looks like Yuri's is Sat. & DG's is Sun.?
    What / Where exactly are the stone blds Yuri?

Occidental Tourist
    So looks like Yuri's is Sat. & DG's is Sun.?
    What / Where exactly are the stone blds Yuri?
    Go in the Central Ave entrance, past the booth and continur on the main rd. and you will go right by the stone buildings on your right. Park there or nearby if full (but we should be good at 6:30).

Occidental Tourist
    Go in the Central Ave entrance, past the booth and continur on the main rd. and you will go right by the stone buildings on your right. Park there or nearby if full (but we should be good at 6:30).
    This may help

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=10409+...03433&t=h&z=19

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite39
    Very cool. See you tomorrow at 6:30.
    If you see me at 6:30 then my Sunday ride has move to Saturday thus freeing up Sunday for other stuff. Now I just need to go get the bike in order...

I am Doctor Remulak
    So, Yuri's ride is Saturday @ 6:30?

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Mikey
    So, Yuri's ride is Saturday @ 6:30?
    yuppers. SuLing and I will be there, bright and early.

oooh, shiny...
    My gosh that was confusing... Mostly because I just woke up from a nap, and because I never saw the Sunday part in the original plans.
    Sooooo, 6:30 huh? Good thing I just took a nap!

mtbr member
    Damm I want to skip class and take a look at this new trail. So If I read the posts correctly, is this a National style trail or more DC like? May have to go exploring myself after class. Anyone that has rode it already, is it doable on a 29 SS?

Losing Ground
    I have not ridden 602, but I have seen it. It's freshly cut, so it will probably smooth but a little loose yet (sandy). Actually some of the route described will be on National, just West of what most people ride. I would say the trails in this area are not tech like East National, but are still rocky and can have some loose sections and exposure (cliffs). We won't be staying flat like DC and we'll have some ridges to manage, but I would say it is doable on a SS.

mtbr member
    Watching the video the trail looks beautiful. Exposure is my biggest enemy when it comes to Mountain Biking, so this might be a good trail to try and get rid of my fears since it does not look over techy with a bunch of rock gardens all over. Still if you crash looks like quite a ways down.

Losing Ground
    602's probably fine. Stay away from Mine Drop though.

oooh, shiny...
    Great ride today! Here are a few pics. One of these days I'll actually buy a decent point and shoot camera!

A few more here.

Occidental Tourist
    That ridge line descent was sublime and switchback heaven. Nice ride for sure, thanks for the company.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 602-acimg0174.jpg  

602-acimg0180.jpg  

602-acimg0184.jpg  

602-acimg0187.jpg  

602-acimg0202.jpg  

602-acimg0186.jpg  

602-acimg0204.jpg  

602-acimg0210.jpg  

oooh, shiny...
    Yuri, Love the 2nd shot with all of us on the switchbacks! Nice shot.

Shred...it's the new drug
    That looks sick!!! Gonna have to get off those boring east side trails and explore a bit!

wrecking crew
    Super fun ride!

Ranger up was not as bad as expected. Surprisingly fun for uphill. The 620 descent with all the oh-so-tight and twisty switchbacks mixed in with tight downslope slalom areas...exquisite stuff! My favorite part of the whole ride! Love the tech sections! We were all jazzed about that part of our adventure. Must get back there. Bee's Knees was steep climbs in some areas. Doable for the most part. The earth is still very loose in sections making the steep uphill switchbacks prone to spin-out. Still, good stuff!

Great company, cool weather, awesome ride! The new bike was great on the ascents as well as the descents. mmm...post-ride happiness!

Nice to meet you Rick and Aaron. Ryan, always a pleasure. Yuriy rocked it as always and my girl Kathleen is simply divine!
    Last edited by su.ling~; 04-24-2010 at 01:40 PM.
    ~~~

Kathleen in AZ
    Fun times kids. Goodness, I really need to get my arse on a bike and ride more! That "little" ride whooped me up a good dose of tired. Cenobite and Guidopapago (as I was somehow recalling your handle during the ride ) - it was to great to meet you new guys on the board! And Miss SuLing, it's always a good time when you show up on a ride

Here are all the people pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 602-img_1339.jpg  

602-img_1340.jpg  

602-img_1342.jpg  

602-img_1346.jpg  

602-img_1359.jpg  

Kathleen in AZ
    Fun times kids. Goodness, I really need to get my arse on a bike and ride more! That "little" whooped me up a good dose of tired. Cenobite and Guidopapago (as I was somehow recalling your handle during the ride - it was to meet you new guys on the board! And Miss SuLing, it's always a good time when you show up on a ride

Here are all the people pics:
    and here are the biking pics:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 602-img_1334.jpg  

602-img_1350.jpg  

602-img_1352.jpg  

602-img_1353.jpg  

602-img_1357.jpg  

Kathleen in AZ
    Yuri, Love the 2nd shot with all of us on the switchbacks! Nice shot.
    I agree..... nice shot!!

MTBikeAZ.com
    Sorry I missed the ride with all you this morning. I did get out there yesterday for a spin around, linking up some nice singletrack for a big loop around the north side.
    https://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=587456

Here's my helmetcam footage going down the 620 ridgeline, aka Gila View Ridgline, aka Marker 33. I agree is it dangerously fun. Careful navigation required!

Mike the trail cutter. He was really cool. We chatted for about 10 minutes. He loved building this trail.

From West SoMo Northside

From West SoMo Northside
    Mike
    MTBikeAZ.com
    --
    How fast can you climb?

"No Clue Crew"
    Nice pics everyone ! Befor the GoPro batteries died, I did get approximately 26 seconds of some sweet-ass, hardcore mountain bike footage. (Kathleen and I hike-a-biking up Ranger ) It was great to finally meet you guys.
    DurtGurl (The Legend ) didn't dissapoint, Suling tried being a sleeper early in the morning by telling me that she wasn't fast. ( I had a feeling she was pulling my leg and it proved true pretty quickly) Yuri and Ryan made every trail look simple, and Aaron ( aka QuidoPapago, aka Geronimo ) was somehow able to catch up to everyone before we made it to the top of Ranger even though we had a huge headstart on him.
    You guys ROCK ! Thank you for a fun ride and I look forward to seeing everyone again soon.

mtbr member
    I did a little roll out that way today, well not 620, but Bee Knees is a pretty buff trail.

My 5 hour West Siiiieeeeede Gnar Tour took me up Telegraph, up National, down Ranger, up Alta, down Alta, National, up Bees Knees, and down Bees Knees.

Here's a short google earth replay of my route:

I know the Bee's Knees route isn't all that accurate, but it the best I could do on freehanding it in.

oooh, shiny...
    Sam, what are your thoughts on Bees Knees heading west to east? Seemed like it might be more enjoyable that way.

mtbr member
    Sam, what are your thoughts on Bees Knees heading west to east? Seemed like it might be more enjoyable that way.
    I was kinda tired when I got there, so the climb up to the top of the ridge really dragged on. The descent went by way to fast. This was my first time on it, so I can't really say which way intuitively is better??? I guess the only differentiation to me are the views, so IMO heading east to west is better.

Oddly enough, I believe the elevation where National crosses over San Juan Rd. and the other end of Bees Knees, where I came out of the neighborhood is pretty much the same.

Fragile - must be Italian
    Wow...all of that new trail looks like it is a lot of fun. I need to get out there soon.

Oh...jeez...look at the weather this weekend. Gonna be in the 70's on Saturday. Hmmm...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    Wow...all of that new trail looks like it is a lot of fun. I need to get out there soon.

Oh...jeez...look at the weather this weekend. Gonna be in the 70's on Saturday. Hmmm...
    Mucho fun stuff, gangi. You should definitely go!

dammit! I keep posting under Jeff's handle.

Members who have read this thread: 0