mtbr member
    Apr 2007

6 inch all mountain at Sunrise

Is having a big bike the only way to go or are the trails friendly enough for a 6 inch all mountain that kind of leans toward the gravity end. I seen that there are bike rentals nearby but I want to save some money. Also could someone give me a breakdown of the trail difficulty on the mountain, which ones are a must ride. thanks.

banned
    You can do them all. I have problems with Yard Sale and Slippery Rock because they are tough. It will be a rush on the meadows when the speed picks up (if you let it). I ride a coilair which is 6 front and 6+1 in the rear (lol blush).

Pivotal figure
    I actually had more fun riding my shorter travel rig than the full DH bike. It's not quite as plush thru the chunky stuff on Sticks & Stones but on everything else I felt just fine. It really comes down to how you ride though, dudes are rocking hardtails there as well
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Meatbomb
    Will my Stumpy Comp be man enough?

banned
    Boyscouts were rocking hardtails on Sticks and Stones. No armour, only helmets and a sash with badges.

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    First time I road sunrise I did it on a 4 inch travel bike and cleared all the trail but went otb a few times lol. Second time I rode it on my Cove G-spot, and was fine. But with helmet and armor u will be fine
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.- Julie Furtado

Wait, what!?
    Thank you for starting this topic. Taking my 6in up there this weekend! First time on the mountain with a bike and I am excitededededededededed.

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    nice enduro ull have a blast make sure to take som pics...
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash.- Julie Furtado

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I did it a month ago on my 6 inch. It was great. There are a few spots I would have liked a bigger bike, but at no point did feel it sucked because I had an AM vs DH bike.

Save the rental money...you'll have a blast!

mtbr member
    I personally prefer the big bike up there.
    I ride a CoilAir too and wasn't feeling confident on the steep stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I rode my sc nomad with coil travel and it was fine for my ability level (i just started riding in march). Rode everything, had to walk a couple parts of sticks and stones, and the lower rock garden part of yardsale, but other than that bike was awesome. Just drop the seat, put some flats on, and armor up.

My buddy rented one of the kona stabs and i took it for a run down fungus. A little more stable at higher speeds and the extra 2" helped, but it didn't help 100$ worth. I can't wait to go back again.

It increased my skill level tremendously.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cramey
    My buddy rented one of the kona stabs and i took it for a run down fungus. A little more stable at higher speeds and the extra 2" helped, but it didn't help 100$ worth. I can't wait to go back again.
    That's because you rode it on Fungus.

I rented one too and took it down Sticks N Stones, it was definitely worth it to me...I had way more fun going fast and charging into stuff on the Stab then I did on my CoilAir. I love the smaller bike, but not on the gnarly stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    That's because you rode it on Fungus.

I rented one too and took it down Sticks N Stones, it was definitely worth it to me...I had way more fun going fast and charging into stuff on the Stab then I did on my CoilAir. I love the smaller bike, but not on the gnarly stuff.
    Did you try it down the rock garden on yardsale? I thought that was gnarlier than most all of sticks n stones.

mtbr member
    Did you try it down the rock garden on yardsale? I thought that was gnarlier than most all of sticks n stones.
    I haven't ridden Yard Sale yet.
    I didn't even know where it was until the last trip.

I just felt very "on the edge" with the short travel bike on Sticks N Stones, whereas the Stab just plowed through everything.
    But then, I'm not very good at that stuff.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    I haven't ridden Yard Sale yet.
    I just felt very "on the edge" with the short travel bike on Sticks N Stones, whereas the Stab just plowed through everything.
    But then, I'm not very good at that stuff.
    I know what you mean. My buddy of about the same skill level was much more confident and faster on the big bike. My AM build is somewhat slanted towards the dh with a short stem, 8" rotors, and some FR wheels, but i definately saw the benefits of a big bike, and now i want one. haha.

The upper part of yardsale is cake, and then it becomes death after you cross the fire road and drop into the rock garden. I probably made it down 15' and say F this, and walked just about the whole garden. Way past my skill level.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    There's a reason that a coilair is not seen in any of the World Cup DH races. I only rock my short travel on slopestyle courses.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

Wait, what!?
    Im feeling pretty good about my decision to build up a cheapo set of wheels for stuff like this now. Being this is my first time up there, what might someone like myself avoid, at least on Sat while Im still getting my feet wet? I guess Im pretty aggressive and can handle my SL pretty damn well, but I want to enjoy the trails by riding them, not walking them

Also, I would LOVE to throw down the cash to rent a Demo 8 from the Absolute shop in Flag, but like someone else mentioned, if I did that, then I would have to buy one Im afraid, haha.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduroblood
    Being this is my first time up there, what might someone like myself avoid, at least on Sat while Im still getting my feet wet? I guess Im pretty aggressive and can handle my SL pretty damn well, but I want to enjoy the trails by riding them, not walking them
    I was a newbie too. I saved sticks n stones and the lower portion of yardsale until the end of the day. The only tricky part of sticks n stones is the upper section, once it starts intersecting the fire road it is pretty tame in comparison. The lower half of yardsale, to me, was nightmarishly tough. It is steep, loose, relatively narrow, has a couple switchbacks, and has head sized rocks for the top 200'. If you are good at tech descending you might enjoy. heh.

Start with fungus, and hit the cartoon forest. That place is super fun. The upper portion of slippery rocks is pretty fun, there is one tough spot, but you can roll it slow and it isn't too bad.

You can also take the fire road and drop into any of the trails you see as well if you are looking for different entrance points.

mtbr member
    Enduro,
    I'd plan to hit them all. Fungus is a good combo of pedal and pump, it will get the lungs going. Broken arrow and cartoon are a little steeper and more tech. Sicks n stones, slippery rock and yard sale are the most challenging, but of course, the most fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hey, I appreciate all the helpful comments. I am by no means an expert so the really steep rock gardens may get a little hairy but it sounds do-able. I have also heard a lot about Candy Mountain on here. Where is that and how close is it to Sunrise? Would this be something to try and check out?

mtbr member
    Kavu anything under 12in is short travel to you.

6in travel is fine. Just set it up squishy. I rode on my bottlerocket with 5.5in and was plenty happy.
    Got Daytons on the Motha Ship - Cube

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6
    Kavu anything under 12in is short to you.
    That's what she said

I'm Lazy, So I Shuttle
    talk to the guys at pine top Cactus bikes, like Stevo Im sure he can tell u where it is..

dirt visionary
    I actually perfer my 6.75" rear 6.3" in the front on my sxtrail over my 8.5 rear x8 front dhr for sunrise.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoyR6
    Kavu anything under 12in is short travel to you.

6in travel is fine. Just set it up squishy. I rode on my bottlerocket with 5.5in and was plenty happy.
    The way it should be.

I would have loved to have ridden my old setup at Sunrise:

Pivotal figure
    Not that old XC bike! Way too steep and nowhere near enough travel (or shocks )
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

mtbr member
    The upper part of yardsale is cake, and then it becomes death after you cross the fire road and drop into the rock garden. I probably made it down 15' and say F this, and walked just about the whole garden. Way past my skill level.
    The 'upper' portion of Yard Sale is actually called Arrowhead. Yard Sale is just the nasty from fire road to fire road. Short & sweet.

Members who have read this thread: 0