Thread: 5.10 bandwagon

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005

5.10 bandwagon

Thinking about trying some flats on the new 26er I'm building and want a set of 5.10 Impact shoes. Tougher than you might think to find my size (10) in stock online. Anyone know of a local retailer?

Also any pedal recommendations that aren't too heavy and won't break the bank? Thanks.

Shred...it's the new drug
    Ask Cactus, they usually have a huge assortment of those. As for pedals, anything with teeth will work great with the 5.10's. I enjoy a set of Animal BMX pedals, but alot of guys and gals are running Azonics or straightlines. A tough light pedal are the standard wellgo's. I would definetly buy another set of animals though! Enjoy your flatness

mr. wonderful
    Cactus=local. I went in to Cactus 2 weeks ago to lay down a Benny on a pair for Free Rides, but they didn't have anything even close to my size (10.5). I ended up rolling the dice online by going with the same size as my Impacts. I generally go with a size 10.5 and the Five Tens, fit perfectly.

I ordered mine from Paragon Sports as they had the best price and selection.

I've heard the Kona Wah Wahs are a good value pedal.

parenting for gnarness
    Rage had a stack of em yesterday, i'd call ahead and ask for size. list was about $100

i just got my 5.10 Rennies - havent rode em yet. the high top feels weird, not bad, but definitely new. hoping i will get used to it, but it definitely protects the heel better than the low tops.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    www.hucknroll.com has a few styles in stock. I snagged the last pair of size 10 impacts this morning for $83. They have the Karver in stock for 87 if you don't mind red. I also ordered some Kona wah-wah's. Wheelworld had them for 59.99, and I had cambria do the price smash thing, so I saved another 5 bucks. Recession sucks.

I love bike!
    Might try giving Cactus a jingle. Was in there over the weekend and the guy said they were supposed to be getting in a shipment of the Impacts and I think the Sam Hill's shortly.

Team Tortuga
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtbag
    I've heard the Kona Wah Wahs are a good value pedal.
    I have been riding with the Kona Wah Wahs and my 5.10s for a year and a half now and they have been awesome!

+1 Kona Wah Wahs

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kendogg
    www.hucknroll.com has a few styles in stock. I snagged the last pair of size 10 impacts this morning for $83. They have the Karver in stock for 87 if you don't mind red. I also ordered some Kona wah-wah's. Wheelworld had them for 59.99, and I had cambria do the price smash thing, so I saved another 5 bucks. Recession sucks.
    You got my shoes!!!!!

I was trying to put them in my cart at the same time you were, I think

Only place online that has my size in stock is Jenson.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    LOVE my 5.10's, NO more slipped pedals! Closest think to velcro.

Powered by ice cream.
    These things sound so sticky it might be easier to disengage a clipped in shoe.

Just saying....
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    And I thought I had a bike obsession. You are at once tragic and awesome.

mtbr member
    I have janged my ankle falling off wood in Canadia. I am now a fan of the 5.10 hightops; no noticeable restriction on flexion/extension of the ankle!

AKA shitbird
    It's funny, 5.10's seem to be the only product in mountain biking who's dominance is undisputed.

Disregarding price, I don't think I've ever heard someone say "buy XXXX brand shoe, they are better".
    JRA

I love bike!
    Just noticed that you can find a good selection of 5.10 shoes/sizes at zappos.com. Not cheap but free shipping and excellent return policy. My wife and I have bought numerous shoes from them and have always been happy.

http://www.zappos.com/mens-five-ten

mtbr member
    5.10 High Tops + 661 Race Ankle Braces = perfect.

I'm still on my first pair, although they are mighty worn.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Zappos is awesome. It's unusual, though, that they're $10 more expensive than most other places. If I don't pick up a pair today locally, I'll end up ordering from there.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    same pair...two years. Just washed them after the sunrise mudfest and they are all nice and sticky again. Just like Kavu's cowpants.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    same pair...two years. Just washed them after the sunrise mudfest and they are all nice and sticky again. Just like Kavu's cowpants.
    ha.
    3 years on mine.
    pretty happy with that.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    ha.
    3 years on mine.
    pretty happy with that.
    really? Wow, that's awesome. How often to you ride in them? Are you using yours for "pedal" rides too or just DH? I ask because I use mine for everything, don't ride too excessively but can't make mine last more than a year. The shoes are in good shape but the soles get trashed pretty quick. Anyone ever send them in for re-soleing?
    JRA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    really? Wow, that's awesome. How often to you ride in them? Are you using yours for "pedal" rides too or just DH? I ask because I use mine for everything, don't ride too excessively but can't make mine last more than a year. The shoes are in good shape but the soles get trashed pretty quick. Anyone ever send them in for re-soleing?
    I use mine for everything as well, pedal rides, DH, sometimes commuting.

The soles on mine are pretty much gone. But I'm too poor to get another pair, so I make do. I'm sure getting on a new pair would be like night and day, but these still work for right now.

AKA shitbird
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    I use mine for everything as well, pedal rides, DH, sometimes commuting.

The soles on mine are pretty much gone. But I'm too poor to get another pair, so I make do. I'm sure getting on a new pair would be like night and day, but these still work for right now.
    Cool. Having a good set of pedals is probably just as important as the condition of the soles anyway. I'm getting low on $ and will probably riding this pair until skin meets pedal.
    JRA

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by eabos
    Cool. Having a good set of pedals is probably just as important as the condition of the soles anyway. I'm getting low on $ and will probably riding this pair until skin meets pedal.
    Pretty sure 5.10 has a resoling program. . .

parenting for gnarness

5.10 Rennies - first ride review

I really wanted to try em out, so put the flats on the Hei Hei. The shoes accessorized splendidly.

2009_0909_hamburgershin01_blog

Unfortunately, crappy flats are just not meant on a 29r xc bike on Hawes with a bald rear tire in sandy conditions going up Upper Mudflaps and Tower at night. Its the perfect storm, and when I dabbed yet again going up Tower Trail, I let out a string of curses that would make jaded hookers blush. The pedals made me pay. The blood accessorizing splendidly with the shoes and the bike was no consolation for hamburger shins.

2009_0909_hamburgershin03_blog

I forgot all about the high-tops 5 minutes into the ride, but know they will protect the ankles from the frequent knocks into the chainstays and cranks that come with this type of setup. The shoes felt big in the garage, but on the trail offered my feet lots of space and a stiff sole. The grippy rubber and pattern of the sole really stayed hooked to the pedals descending. Some things will take practice, like getting the balls of my feet equal with the spindles when pedaling, and not pedaling with my toes. Climbing, I think on the big power moves where I muscle my way over something I will miss my cleats, but the descents should compensate. I'll have to take them for a test ride up National on the Heckler to see how well they ascend. The strangest sensation was how you can oversteer the bike with your feet since they are not clipped into one position. My impression is that when you are clipped in, you are riding the bike more in control and "traditionally", from the feet on up. With flats, you are throwing it around more and freeriding, but i'm pretty sure that is just the point: to ride things that require embracing a lack of control, you kinda need footwork that can step outside narrow boundaries. They will be a good pickup once I figure out their right kind of ride.

My other ride is your mom
    Nice decorum there cholla....let me offer up a more "documentary" style recount of your impressions last night.

7:35pm: After several dabs on the climb.....Cholla exclaims, "Uggghhhhh, Fu#k!, Fu#k!, Fu#k! I hate these fu#kin shoes, THEY ARE THE WORST FU#KIN SHOES, EVER!!!!!!!!"

8:30....or thereabouts: "THESE ARE THE BEST SHOES EVER.....I LOVE THESE SHOES"

Caveat Lector I guess.....

banned
    Do they make a SPD compatible version? I don't think I could ever give up being clipped in. I know vans make's some nice SPD shoes, but I was looking for something with ankle protection.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Neither Cactus nor Rage had a 10 in stock, so I ended up ordering from Zappos.

wretch
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    Do they make a SPD compatible version? I don't think I could ever give up being clipped in. I know vans make's some nice SPD shoes, but I was looking for something with ankle protection.
    I used to say the same thing . . . now I'm living happily in both worlds. Clipless for pedaling platforms for you know where and N*.

I've heard of people jimmy rigging 5.10's for SPD but it would take some "clear headed" genius thinking to get it to work.

Check out these Van's . . . could be the closest thing to it.

I'll have to try my shimano mp66's on my platform pedals, see if there is any interference.

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    Jrock - I've seen shoes like what you want, dunno where, but I know I've seen em out there. *I think* 5.10s made for clips would kinda have some of the worst of both worlds as they'd be very wide in the toe and heel, if they based the shoes on the models I saw.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Trash
    I used to say the same thing . . . now I'm living happily in both worlds. Clipless for pedaling platforms for you know where and N*.

I've heard of people jimmy rigging 5.10's for SPD but it would take some "clear headed" genius thinking to get it to work.

Check out these Van's . . . could be the closest thing to it.

I'll have to try my shimano mp66's on my platform pedals, see if there is any interference.
    $&@&@$ Monday? Only day I can get away.

mr. wonderful
    Holy chowder batman, call the medic

There is definitely a learning curve with flats and it does involve blood. I would disagree with your assessment of the difference in riding styles between clipless and flats. I would say that flats require more finesse, but react better to body english and provide better power and traction in cornering. I would also contend that clipless lets you develop habits that will not serve you well on flats (see your left shin for example). Without a doubt it is easier to climb most technical features with clipless, but there is a line you cross where you find yourself on things that you wouldn't want to be clipped in

mtbr member
    c-ball; when descending/jumping, place the axle spindle just behind the widest part of your foot (behind where you would clip in ). This will give you an amazing feeling of balance and being centered on your bike. I do cheat a bit while climbing and scoot the feet backward to xc position. xc position is not centered on the bike, and you have to unlearn all the bad habits like lifting your knees and shoving the bike waaaaay out in front of you. Stick with it and you will be rewarded

Kathleen in AZ
    two words - shin guards

parenting for gnarness
    Quote Originally Posted by supermoto
    c-ball; when descending/jumping, place the axle spindle just behind the widest part of your foot (behind where you would clip in ). This will give you an amazing feeling of balance and being centered on your bike. I do cheat a bit while climbing and scoot the feet backward to xc position. xc position is not centered on the bike, and you have to unlearn all the bad habits like lifting your knees and shoving the bike waaaaay out in front of you. Stick with it and you will be rewarded
    thanks guys. yeah I totally get what you are saying about getting centered with your feet, and what Dirtbag said about finesse and body english - I think I was sorta getting at that but the throbbing vampire bites did not help my prose .

On jumps, no question I want the flats. For some of the gnarlier tech trials, when do you switch over for whole rides? Like...I would want flats for a couple of steep moves on Viejo, the steep dropin at Goat Camp, one or two things coming down National I'd try w. flats that I haven't done...but I'm pretty good with the clips in most of that, and I usually really enjoy the technical climbs as much if not more as the DH?

Kathleen in AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by chollaball
    thanks guys. yeah I totally get what you are saying about getting centered with your feet, and what Dirtbag said about finesse and body english - I think I was sorta getting at that but the throbbing vampire bites did not help my prose .

On jumps, no question I want the flats. For some of the gnarlier tech trials, when do you switch over for whole rides? Like...I would want flats for a couple of steep moves on Viejo, the steep dropin at Goat Camp, one or two things coming down National I'd try w. flats that I haven't done...but I'm pretty good with the clips in most of that, and I usually really enjoy the technical climbs as much if not more as the DH?
    Goat Camp, SoMo - Flats
    Walt's Bypass rides in the McDowells - Times
    National C2C2C - depends on which bike I grab
    Lunch Lady ride? Flats
    Beshemoth ride? Times
    DHR? Flats
    Dos Niner? Times

On the climbs with flat pedals, I put my foot back to nearly where it is on the Times and sort of scoop with my toes. I really don't miss the clips at all that way but it has taken time to get the technique down and I'm still learning. I love flats now and thank Mikehell for being such a pushy SOB and getting us all to try them.

mtbr member
    I like clipless. But I rarely them anymore, except on the trainer.

5.10's do the trick for me. I might even put some platforms on my roadie.

parenting for gnarness
    rode my flats and 5.10 Rennies yesterday on Pass Mtn then for a bit at NRA. Pass Mtn was a good choice as I know the trail really well, and its kinda all climbing, but not a lot of "big" gnar that could really hurt you if you fall off it. A few observations:

--the shoes are comfy, but I can see how some arch supports might be worth trying.

--I wore my knee\shin pads, which got hot and gave me a little rub rash by the end of the day, but made me much happier as I got used to the pedals.

--Starting up was the hardest - I'm used to just slamming my foot into the clips and having power. With flats I had to be very mindful of getting the foot correctly on the pedal, which usually mean having it at the bottom of its stroke. Then I'd roll the bike back to raise the pedal and give me some power on my startups. It got easier as the ride went on I got used to doing this move, but still miss the instant engagement of clips. I also have a habit of moving the pedals into position with my feet and back of my legs - big no-nos with flat pedals. This seems like a no-brainer, but its kinda a big step to overcoming some of the awkwardness of the pedals, like learning how to get off the dang lift when you first start snowboarding

--foot position - I took Carmen's advice and moved my feet about an inch back from XC-clipped position, and on the flat pedals it felt pretty good even just spinning up the wash. with your foot more centered on the pedal, you don't feel so unattached to the bike, and can wiggle it around a little more. Most surprising was when I was clawing my way up rocks and lifts - being more centered on the pedal gave me an extra bit of leverage at the top of the power moves. I had more low-speed high-torque power cause I could stand on top of the bike by rolling my toes forward. Kinda a tradeoff cause you arent attached to the bike, but far better for climbing then I thought it would be. By the end of the ride, I was getting most of the lifts and steep wash climbs I'm used to getting on Pass Mtn. definitely looking forward to trying again.

--jumps - proper foot position was nice and much more stable. Hard to separate my improving jumping from what the proper foot position did for me, but it just felt a little more balanced. my crash was not about my feet but about my upper body and my preloading the bike.

--no more pedalstrikes than normal. I typically run Time Atac Zs on this bike, which are pretty big profile. Flats didn't seem to be an issue either way, for me.

--started riding from the Pit at 5:30, up the road and up the wash to Pass Mtn in the dark. Very very very cool. the wash was packed down, and by the time the sun came up I was on the west side of the mtn. nicest ride in months. and I saw this coyote 2 houses away from my driveway when I left at 5:15am. not a real good pic chasing the thing in my car and taking a pic out the window, but cool to see right outside my door. I warned my cat to stay inside, the cat warned me not to crash; only one of us listened.

2009_0927_coyote_01

Members who have read this thread: 0