4 Flat Tires.....- Mtbr.com
    Newbie...yeah that's it

4 Flat Tires.....

Yeah that's right 4 flat tires today. I went out to pre-ride the White Tanks race loop and right off the back I double flatted, so I replaced the more badly damaged tire and patched the other one. Then I get all set up and ride up the switch backs and around the mountain, I hit that super fast kinda down hill straight away and go down a little wash hit a little rough bump and all I hear is fiiizzzziiiittttttt, yeah that's right double flatted again!! I was outta tubes and patches and they were both nasty rips. Needless to say I hiked my bike 2 miles back to the parking lot. Just wanted to say thanks to the guy that slowed down and asked if I needed help, don't know who you are or if you come to this forum.

Now I'm a newbie at this and was going to do the up coming race, but I really didn't have fun on that trail, am I not the only one? It wasn't the fact that I flated twice because I rode most of the trail, it just seemed boring to me. After the ride I have decided not to do the race on Saturday, my view is if it isn't fun to me why pay to ride it and not have fun.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    My recipe is the following: good thin tubes, powdered, velox rim tape. Inflate to a minimum of 50-60psi. You'll get very few flats with higher pressure. I get the odd puncture and pinch flat, but it could go for a year without flatting (I ride 3x a week on somo).

mtbr member
    If you can't have fun riding the Whitetanks, you probably won't have much fun anywhere else. The Tanks are fast, the climbs are reasonable, and the tech sections aren't extremely technical, but do keep you on your toes.

The McDowell course may be more your cup-O-tea, but It's way on the other side of town if you live in the west valley. You should pre-ride it if you haven't been out there before, and plan on racing there on the 18th.

I've been riding the Whitetanks for about three years now and I don't think I've had a total of four flats in that time. You must be running way too low a pressure in you tires. If you're that hard on the wheels, I'd look into going tubeless. If you don't have tubeless wheels, look into the Stans rim tape. I had my wheels done at Swiss American and they've been running flawlessly. Look up Gary and he'll set you up.

Sorry you didn't have much fun out there today, take care of your wheel issue and go at it again. If you are new to the sport, come on out this weekend and at least check out the action even if you aren't going to race. It's a great atmosphere and it will definately get you motivated for the next race.

mtbr member
    One more thing. Were you riding the hardtail with the Panracers?

Newbie...yeah that's it
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated
    One more thing. Were you riding the hardtail with the Panracers?
    Hardtail , yes; Panracers, no; IRC Mythos.
    Ohh and what's the point of slime? It didn't stop the hole up like I thought it would. It did make it easier to find where the hole was to patch it.

mtbr member
    Nothing important to add to this thread but I do want to say thank god that there's someone who gets more flat tires than I do

ASG, I'm with you, the race loop blows. Next time go up Mesquite to Willow Canyon to Goat Camp. One of the best trails in the Valley.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    mr sungod,

if you're flatting on rocks at the bottom of a wash, slime or stans won't do a lick of good, you are pinch flatting. Need more pressure. Figure out the minimum pressure it takes for you to stop pinch flatting (start with 65), then ride that psi forever. I run mythos all the time, it's not the tire.

Newbie...yeah that's it
    Quote Originally Posted by jperson
    mr sungod,

if you're flatting on rocks at the bottom of a wash, slime or stans won't do a lick of good, you are pinch flatting. Need more pressure. Figure out the minimum pressure it takes for you to stop pinch flatting (start with 65), then ride that psi forever. I run mythos all the time, it's not the tire.
    I will try that out thank you for the advice. I just thought that much PSI would be harder to ride, I think I've been riding around 45-55, my gauge isn't all that accurate, I will get a new one. Just so this doesn't happen again. I think that the second set of flats was because the pressure was kinda low, using that hand pump was a work out.

Ridin' Dirty
    I run about 50 psi in the rear, 35-40 in the front and have pretty good luck.
    It's bouncier with higher pressure yes, but better than getting flats.

I think if you switch to tubeless then you'll be able to drop that psi, no problems.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Newbie...yeah that's it
    Quote Originally Posted by AKA Monkeybutt
    Nothing important to add to this thread but I do want to say thank god that there's someone who gets more flat tires than I do

ASG, I'm with you, the race loop blows. Next time go up Mesquite to Willow Canyon to Goat Camp. One of the best trails in the Valley.
    I will have to try that ride, I guess I like something more challenging, I dunno I'm still a newbie. I like riding Desert Classic and Casa Grande Mountain (I live in CG if any one wants to ride CGM let me know), both of them have different challenges. But the race loop at the White tanks was boreing, the biggest challenge was the switch backs, had to walk up one it was too steep for me to ride, and the back side was technical but I rode it all except one spot. I didn't ride the technical section as I was trying to duplicate the route that was described by DCB for the beginners. I understand that it's designed to be fast for racing but can't they make it fast and fun? My friend told me that Estrella and McDowell are much more fun and that I should try those courses out, I think I will.

And Monkeybutt I'm glad I could ammuse you with my quadruple flats!

Newbie...yeah that's it
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgrafk
    I run about 50 psi in the rear, 35-40 in the front and have pretty good luck.
    It's bouncier with higher pressure yes, but better than getting flats.

I think if you switch to tubeless then you'll be able to drop that psi, no problems.
    Do you find the rear bouncy in rocky areas or is it controlable? I know you ride a hard tail as well, do you find it easier to control with the pressure set up like that??

NardoSS
    Wow, 50 to 60 psi on a hard tail? I'd sooner ride my road bike on the dirt. Hey AZSunGod, if you want a quick fix then convert to stans no tubes. I ride somo at least 2x a week on a hard tail and have had one flat since my change in about 9 months. I had a half inch piece of wood impale my front tire. Just fyi, I was able to let it seal after 5 or 6 minutes and ride home with low pressure. Awwww yeah!

I believe FSA is making or going to sell soon some rims that will help prevent pinch flats by making a wider lip thus adding more surface space along the tube in a pinch situation.

Good luck buddy.

Newbie...yeah that's it
    What are Stans no tubes? Would I have to buy new rims or just tires??

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    yah nardo,

Seems like many folks fun way less than 50, but I just don't see how you can ride fast and not pinch. One air into a whoop full of rocks and it's over. There are so many snake biter rocks in those hills.

Sungod, if you run more pressure, the back end will be more squirrely and won't hookup as well during climbs, but you fly up the fireroad ascents Stans is a sealant system like slime, but it seems to work better. I use stans all year on my full susp, and did not get single flat. The tire suffered an 1/8" hole too and that filled nicely on the trail. I still run 45 or so with UST otherwise it seems like the tire folds over on high speed cornering (I"m 170). On my HT, I still have regular tubes, no sealant. (I'd switch to UST when the current wheels die)

--josh

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSunGod
    What are Stans no tubes? Would I have to buy new rims or just tires??

You don't have to buy rim's or tires. To convert to tubless, all they do is seal the spoke holes with a special tape or rim strip. You can even use your "tubed" tires. You could go out and buy "tubeless" tires, they tend to be a little thicker (and heavier) and are a little less prone to getting a puncture, but a lot of people run the regular "tubed" tires because they are lighter. I've run tubeless both ways and both worked pretty well. I did get a pretty good slice in the side wall of a tubed tire and my day was over.

You can buy a Stans kit to convert it yourself, but I've found it much easier to take it to a shop and have them do it. I've read mixed reviews on doing it yourself, and some say its a nightmare and others say its a breeze.

Ouch, I am hot!
    I don't recall having a single pinch flat in the last four years of riding. It may have something to do with the fact that I don't go fast at all. Moreover, I am a big guy, and while I do run somewhat wider tires than your typical XC race tire, running 50-60 PSI is simply madness. On my wide tires and 29er tires, I run 30 up front and 35 in the rear and I am close to 200lbs. No pinch flats. I have had a ton and then a ton more of thorn/cactus punctures. These flats virtually were eliminated as soon as I started using either slimed tubes or tubeless with Stan's juice. No way in hell will I ever run tires without some form of sealant. My take - SoMo/National is so highly traveled that there are less chances of puntures from cactus thorns.
    I AM JUST A JERK

I am Doctor Remulak
    Seems like many folks fun way less than 50
    Yes, much less than 50, I usually run 35-40 depending the tire and where I'm going to ride.

but I just don't see how you can ride fast and not pinch.
    It's called picking your line. I've pinch flatted many times and it's always because I wasn't paying attention to the line and just bashed into a rock.

Sungod, if you run more pressure, the back end will be more squirrely and won't hookup as well during climbs, but you fly up the fireroad ascents
    If you run 50+ it must be bouncing like a basketball back there, so I'm sure it feels squirrely.

Ridin' Dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated
    You don't have to buy rim's or tires. To convert to tubless, all they do is seal the spoke holes with a special tape or rim strip. You can even use your "tubed" tires. You could go out and buy "tubeless" tires, they tend to be a little thicker (and heavier) and are a little less prone to getting a puncture, but a lot of people run the regular "tubed" tires because they are lighter. I've run tubeless both ways and both worked pretty well. I did get a pretty good slice in the side wall of a tubed tire and my day was over.

You can buy a Stans kit to convert it yourself, but I've found it much easier to take it to a shop and have them do it. I've read mixed reviews on doing it yourself, and some say its a nightmare and others say its a breeze.
    What is a typical LBS charge for doing that?

So when you get a flat, do you have to take it back to the LBS??

and, do you save quite a bit of weight using the "Stans Juice" and special tape versus slimed tubes?

thanks
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

mtbr member
    Sorry, I can't answer the $ question, I ride for a shop team/club and get a really good price break. Can't imagine it would be very much though. I think most people, as I do, carry a spare tube in case the stans doesn't work its magic. If a tubless tire does go flat, you can just but a tube in to get you out of the jam. Again, you can try to do the stans thing yourself, but It can be a pain. I've got 400 miles on my tubless set up, including a 24 hr race without any issues at all.

As for the weight, I'm not much of a weight "weenie" but I hear running tubless with Stans is a substancial weight savings.....especially if you are running slime in your tubes.

NardoSS
    Quote Originally Posted by Bgrafk
    and, do you save quite a bit of weight using the "Stans Juice" and special tape versus slimed tubes?

thanks
    After removing the Slime tubes in my wheels and changing to Stans, I found that I had saved a little over 3/4 of a pound total weight. $65-70 for the Stans kit and saving 3/4 of a pound is a kick a$$ deal. Some brand tires seal easier on the rim than others, but that's just the way it goes. Stans is a good low cost option that works well as opposed to buying new wheels and ust tires. www.notubes.com and watch the videos. Just learn to do it yourself since you should change the liquid every 3 to 6 months. Oh, I make my own notubes juice at a quarter of the cost. Also, you can just make as much or as little as you need. Yes, I ran my own test and stabbed my tire 5 or 6 times with awl to see how easily it patched itself. I'm outta here and good luck.

...I really didn't have fun on that trail, am I not the only one? It wasn't the fact that I flated twice because I rode most of the trail, it just seemed boring to me. After the ride I have decided not to do the race on Saturday, my view is if it isn't fun to me why pay to ride it and not have fun.
    If it ain't fun, don't do it! Moments like these are what trail running is for.

I had a few "moments" last month, involving multiple flats and hiking out in the dark. Previously, I had no flats in months of riding, so I figure I was due. Problem is now solved:

-new tires (XR 29ers are crap)
    -slime tubes, have been a huge success thus far with goatheads and thorns
    -recharged kharma account

You gotta pay to play, though prior to sliming myself, there was one trail out at Granite I got at least one flat on every damn time I road it.

As for 50 psi, ya'llr nuts. 30 seems high these days, I run 2.1s in the mid-20s. Though as Dirdir mentioned, a "methodical" descending style may assist in this.

Newbie...yeah that's it
    Why hasn't my slimed tires ever seemed to work? They were small holes the first time and the slime didn't cooagulate or fill the hole, it just kept oozing out. Do I have defective slime?

Why hasn't my slimed tires ever seemed to work? They were small holes the first time and the slime didn't cooagulate or fill the hole, it just kept oozing out. Do I have defective slime?
    Slimed tires, or tubes? I'm using Bonty 29er slime tubes.

Newbie...yeah that's it
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse
    Slimed tires, or tubes? I'm using Bonty 29er slime tubes.
    Sorry meant slimed tubes not tires. I usually slime my tubes myself and I think I was using performance tubes since they were on sale a few weeks ago.

It's a Sledgehammer.
    Sep 2005
    Yah I do run a fairly lightweight mythos tire in back on an HT, if I run less than 45 or 50 it'll pinch. As for picking lines, sure, who doesn't? Speed in the problem I guess, y'all are too slow

Over the Hill
    My solution to pinch flatting is to run 2.5 tires. Kenda Bluegroove/Nevegal, IRC Trailbear, or WTB Weirwolves. I can run low pressure (30lbs) with tubes and not pinchflat. I weigh 220lbs. I am use to pushing heavy tires around. The downhill versions of the Kenda Nevegals are way heavy but they are tough tires.

Most of the time I ride a rigid singlespeed so I am not slamin' into square egded rocks like I do on my 5-Spot.

Members who have read this thread: 0