4 Favorite Trails- Mtbr.com
    Be happy......go riding

4 Favorite Trails

I may be visiting the Phoenix area next week and I was hoping to find out what your 4 favorite trails in the area are. Intermediate to advanced level trails are what I'm hoping to ride and great scenery is always a plus.

Are having slime tubes a must in that territory?

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailmix
    I may be visiting the Phoenix area next week and I was hoping to find out what your 4 favorite trails in the area are. Intermediate to advanced level trails are what I'm hoping to ride and great scenery is always a plus.

Are having slime tubes a must in that territory?
    Re your last question, yes, you'll want slimed tubes...or bring a bunch of extras and be prepared to change them.

Four popular and highly recommended trails in the metro area are:
    1. National on South Mountain (the mountain south of the airport with all the blinking antennae) - very demanding and technical, but a classic
    2. Trail 100 area in the Phoenix Mountain Preserve - just north and east of central Phoenix
    3. Hawes - far NE Mesa
    4. McDowell Mountain Park - north of Fountain Hills in the far NE metro area

Search for any of those...post up if you're going to ride and you'll likely get a hook-up.
    Ride more; post less...

Be happy......go riding

oops!

Thanks waltaz for the recommendations. I failed to see Paul B's Sticky at the top of the forum. Sorry about that. I'll check out what that has to say before I go any further.

EXORCIZE
    The 4 above areas/trails are probably the 4 I'd mention. Be sure if that if you go to McDowell Mt Park that you don't do Pemperton trail-pure xc riding. Keep to the loops near the park entrance: sport, long, and expert loops. Do all 3, but skip Pemperton. If you're more out west, the Estrella race loops are cool. Plus, South Mountain could warrant a second day: mormon loop, desert classic, telegraph, geronimo, javelina, pima canyon loops, corona, holbert, etc. Lots of good stuff there. Heck, if someone told me that they had visited Phoenix and spent four days doing every trail on South Mountain twice, I'd tell them they didn't miss a thing.

AKA shitbird
    I would leave out Mcdowell mtn park and do another day of South Mountain and replace trail 100 with Goat Camp if you can make it out to the west side of town.

1. Hawes is a must. Scenic, fun, and scenic trail
    2. South Mountain is an ABSOLUTE must. Once you ride National you're gonna want to ride it again. If you have time and like technical check out Geronimo, Holbert, and Mormon. Try to save South Mountain for a weekday if you can, weekends are packed full of hikers if the weather is nice. If your an XC geek and like boring flat rides, give Desert Classic a go.
    3. Goat Camp!! Incredible ride that has it all from smooth singletrack and fun climbs to the super technical gnar death rocks that will make your bike cry. Love it..
    4. Back to South Mountain. If you have a whole day. I like to ride Hawes in the morning, go have lunch then get over to South Mountain for a up/down National.

mtbr member
    1. National
    2. National
    3. National
    4. National

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by Feel the flow
    1. National
    2. National
    3. National
    4. National
    Sounds like you know it like the palm of your own hand.

p.
    Don't be that guy! Read the forum guidelines.

"Yabut"
    Quote Originally Posted by Feel the flow
    1. National
    2. National
    3. National
    4. National

.....Also, don't forget National.

~Aaron~

mtbr member
    I think I do but, I'm always a bit worried bout it riding up the fire road. That keeps the trail fresh in my mind.

Ouch, I am hot!
    It seems clear from the responses, but you must know that National is head and shoulders above the others mentioned here, with Goat Camp the only possible exception. I have not done Goat Camp, but I hear it is as good as National or better. So I suggest National.
    I AM JUST A JERK

Ride Hard, Ride Free
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirdir
    It seems clear from the responses, but you must know that National is head and shoulders above the others mentioned here, with Goat Camp the only possible exception. I have not done Goat Camp, but I hear it is as good as National or better. So I suggest National.
    I've hit both of them...Goat Camp is good, but National is better.

mtbr member
    Hey Henry were doing Goat Camp again on Sat if you want to go give me call. And I remember the pic on your profile page that was a great day at Sunrise Ten runs and a broken frame

mtbr member
    Sorry APB. I have the little ones and that ride take a little to long. I'm going to hit National.

Members who have read this thread: 0