I'm with stupid -------->
    May 2009

32nd St and Lincoln Trailhead

On my ride yesterday I noticed this trail that branched off 8A.

Google Maps Link

Does anybody know if this trail is ride able? Or at least a little less hike-a-bike then going up 8A from the trailhead? The last few switchbacks at the top of the mountain seem impossible (at least for me) and I would like to try something that is doable but challenging.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Occidental Tourist
    Looks like 220 or 200a. I just hiked that area and it's a good ride that will take you over to the squaw peak parking lot off Glendale. You may walk a few sections but it's good stuff.
    This is just need to know information: Am i supposed to enjoy the irony or pity the sincerity?

mtbr member
    Been down it from the other direction. very fun. I would think that someone could ride most of it in the direction you want to go down.
    b

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    You will encounter a lot more hikers on this trail than the 8A entrance. The bottom 2/3rds is smooth and the last 1/3 hike a bike.
    Bender to AZDog: I'm not the best person to give advice on not riding!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azdog
    You will encounter a lot more hikers on this trail than the 8A entrance. The bottom 2/3rds is smooth and the last 1/3 hike a bike.
    We still need to ride that trail you showed me over there.

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Ya, that's it. It ends up at the 32nd/Lincoln trailhead. Soon....soon...the heat is kicking in so the fairweather hikers should be dispersing.

mtbr member
    Ya, that's it. It ends up at the 32nd/Lincoln trailhead. Soon....soon...the heat is kicking in so the fairweather hikers should be dispersing.
    Is it really that crowded?

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by KavuRider
    Is it really that crowded?
    I am actually surprised to hear that as well. I have ridden up 8A a number of times and never seen anybody on this side trail, maybe they are on the other side of the range near the squaw peak main parking lot?

The last part of 8A to the top of the mountain (the last three switchbacks with steps on them and to the top) is a hike a bike as well, was hoping to find something that was ride able the whole way up.

I rarely see bikers on the south side of 8A (from the 32nd and Lincoln trail head) but there are always hikers (at least 8-10 groups).

PMP,TAN,LAUNDRY
    Yes, the top of the 32nd st. trailhead is a little off to the side so you may not see the crowds from 8A, kinda of u-turn to get to it if you are entering off of 36thst. Many people park at the shopping center across the street from the parking area so the lot doesn't give you a good idea of the amount but that's what a Karpiel is for.

mtbr member
    but that's what a Karpiel is for.
    Exactly...

Wait, what!?
    That was the second trail I ever rode on. Got my ass handed to me, mainly because I didnt know what I was in for, but I obviously enjoyed it! Haha

May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduroblood
    That was the second trail I ever rode on. Got my ass handed to me, mainly because I didnt know what I was in for, but I obviously enjoyed it! Haha
    National was the first trail I ever rode.... that was.... interesting.

Members who have read this thread: 0