Thread: 30 Days

My epitaph

30 Days

Recently while riding BCT with my friend/coach he threw out this challenge to me. " You know what you need to do? You need to ride every day for 30 days in a row. I've heard about people that have rode for 30 days straight. It will improve your skills drastically and it will change your life." After thinking about this for a day I decided that I will ride every day in December (actually 31 days.) My questions for you are: has anyone here rode for 30 days or more in a row? Did it signifcantly change your riding? What obstacles should I forsee in completing this challenge and did it really change your life in any way. Thanks for your advise and support.

Shred...it's the new drug
    A sore butt...

mtbr member
    Cool idea. I did something similar with different activities a couple of times and had mixed results.

I did the same for running, My deal was I had to run at least a mile every day for 30 days. I was a regular runner and it went great. I ended up extending it to 60 days. Great experience that changed my habits. There were a few days where I just ran the minimum to keep my streak going.

I tried doing pushups and situps every day for for 7 months. The plan was to again to do least a little each day. I ended up trying to do way too many when over tired and pulled a tricep. It actually screwed my arm up such that I haven't done one pushup since and it's been 9+ months.

My take away from such activities is that it can work and be fun, but be aware of the toll on your body. If you're sore, take it easy. Let your body be the guide as to effort / distance, not your competitive ego.

Not surprisingly, I like your idea. I will think about it a day or so. I may match you.

Nothing can stop me now
    Dec 2006
    My first thought is that December is the wrong month to attempt this due to weather/holiday interruptions. If work travel cooperates I might try to ride every day in February. It will definitely improve your fitness and general conditioning.

How many days have you ridden in a row up until now? Things start hurting after 6 days in a row for me and you notice things like how your gloves/helmet are still soggy from the day before to consider. I rode 20 out of 30 days in September and 19 out of 31 in October all mountain biking. I suspect that there are many on here that ride everyday.

Bob

Huffy Rider
    CHAMOIS CREAM! What is your daily minimum? Mtn only or road, too? Have at least 2 of everything, preferably more.....like clothes, shoes, gloves, helmets, bikes, water bladder/bottles. etc. Sounds like fun, I would like to try this. It would be more feasible now that I ride road and mtn. Good luck and buy some chamois cream, chaffing for 30 days straight can be very uncomfortable.

brenda

Big B's Trails
    Ive done several 30 day blocks over the years(mostly in my road racing days)....its easy to burnout all together....the key(like said above) is to listen to your body very closely, go hard when your feeling good and on the bad days just ride recovery(which can be several days in a row) which should be almost painfully(boredom) slow, or a recovery ride can be literally in the park practising skills on a skinny laid in the grass or onto a rock, track stands, hopping in a 360* circle, wheelies, endos, blah blah blah. Do lots of stretching along with it, hydrate well, and remember its supposed to be FUN!
    I dig dirt!

My epitaph
    I appreciate all of the helpful replys. I am currently riding three days per week with a weekly average of around 35-40 miles. Although I do own a road bike, I really want to do this all off road. If anyone wants to match me or join me for a ride( mostly North Phoenix) next month just let me know here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sounds fun, but I would burn out. If I ride 6-7 days in a row my body forces me to take a little time (2-3 days_ off).

mtbr member
    I know that the more I ride, the better I become. I haven't done a 30 days consecutive but do ride 4+ times a week. Just make sure that you're hitting different trails to avoid burning out of your favorites.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

My epitaph
    I will be riding mostly mornings with some afternoons thrown in for a minimum of 30 minutes ( probably more most days.)
    Last edited by Barney Rode; 11-26-2011 at 10:04 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    A better goal might be to train 30 days in a row. Training requires hard efforts, and hard efforts require rest days. A hard effort plus a rest day is what makes you strong. So pick terrain which only requires easy effort 2 days a week, moderate effort 3 days a week, then pick a ride that requires a hard effort, and take a rest day the next day.

A heart rate monitor is a good tool for measuring your effort.

how much for your sister
    you're only supposed to increase your weekly distance by about 10% a week. If you're only riding 30-40 miles per week you're setting yourself up for injury or over-training big time.

~Disc~Golf~
    riding 30 days in a row is probably easy if you commute by bike -
    Honestly... ahh I give up

SamuraiBunnyGuy
    this could become a documentary like "super-size me", yet instead of showing new fat deposits every day, its all blisters and chaffing

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by longhairmike View Post
    this could become a documentary like "super-size me", yet instead of showing new fat deposits every day, its all blisters and chaffing
    I DO NOT want to see those ^^ pictures
    Tie two birds together and though they have four wings, they cannot fly!

mtbr member
    Not necessarily 30 days in a row as I did take a few rest days and had a couple of rain delays. Bikepacking on the AZT Two trips accross the state of Arizona. One AZT 300

Two AZT tours living off of the bike for at least 30 days straight.

Tim
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

K3N
    Certified slacker
    I held my own 2 week challenge while my kids were on fall break. My shortest rides were about 45 min. Missed one day though. I work close to Somo so I had endless options depending on how I was feeling. After the first week my legs were noticably tired, but when I went on my usual Sunday ride with a buddy I rode surprisingly well. Just take it easy when you need to, so that when you feel good its that much more fun!

My epitaph
    Yeah Tripper! That's what I'm talking about. Thank you for giving me inspiration to make this happen. Rode BCC TH to EH TH on BCT today (25mi.) Feelin good. Lookin forward to the challenge.

mtbr member
    Great a group of us from Tucson did that ride over T-day weekend a couple of years ago. Then I stayed and camped out north of there and rode a little bit more. Now that there is more trail done I need to plan a trip back. But then I see the pics from the Picket Post ride and I really need to get up there as well. Have you done any bikepacking? It's a sizable investment to get started but well worth it.

Tim

My epitaph

New question here.

Tim,
    I have'nt bikepacked off road yet, but I have done a couple of 5 day tours in AZ on the road bike. In 2009 Northen AZ ( Cottonwood, Sedona, Flag, Williams, Prescott ) and 2010 in your neck of the woods ( Tuscon, Benson, Tombstone, Bisbee, Kartchner). I have slowly collected all the equipment to travel light. I would dig an off road trip. Maybe this spring?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    It's a sizable investment to get started but well worth it.
    What sort of equipment are you talking about?

mtbr member
    That's a great start. Not much for pure road riding myself much prefer to get out in the backcountry. Traveling light is key for off road touring even if your not racing it's just a lot more fun when you can ride more and cover ground faster.

The new AZT stuff out by Picket Post is great for bikepacking. I did 3 trips up there last spring and had a great time on all 3. We did end up doing some road riding each time but to me it's worth it in the end.

Even if your not in it for the racing the AZT 300 is a fun grueling event. As is the Coconino 250 the Coco is especially fun as it's a stage race so there is more social time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    What sort of equipment are you talking about?
    Kits very widely to get some ideas head to bikepacking.net > Personal setups

Ideally you want to get as much comfort per pound as possible, so the more you spend the better off you'll be.

Not that it's not possible to get out there on a budget. There is also a DIY section at the same site. People have been posting homemade gear since the beginning and now there is a separate dedicated forum space. And you can for sure get out there with cheep heavy gear. This thread Bikepacking on the AZT Two trips accross the state of Arizona. One AZT 300 that I posted earlier shows two completely different setups. The first bike with racks front and rear and 4 panier's weighed in at 70 plus pounds. The second trip 2 years later with one rack and a duffel was just over 40. My current set up with modern over sized seatpost bag is under 40.

It's basically all lightweight backpacking gear the only specialized stuff is the frame bag and other bike specific items like the over sized seat bag and a handle bar harness. I bought the seat bag but made my own frame bag and harness then I use a standard dry bag for the stuff on the bars.

Hope that helps.

Tim