3 rides...3 broken bikes- Mtbr.com
    Fragile - must be Italian

3 rides...3 broken bikes

They say that bad luck comes in 3's. If that is the case then I am in good shape, because my past 3 bike rides have killed 3 bikes.

First up...NRA 2 weekends ago. I took my Iron Horse 6point out for some fun on the B-line (still can't do all of the A-line jumps...yet). On one of the landings my rear tire blew off the rim...causing me to skid uncontrollably and crash. I was OK, but the rear rim took a good beating from rolling directly on the rocks w/o a tire. Damage: folded bead and potentially ruined rim. Slippery Pig as since tried to fix it and the tire is holding air...so far. I could still need a new rim (and wheel build).

Next up...my early AM road ride 3 days later. On a right turn in Arcadia (64th to Lafayette), I hit some water and the rear tire slid out. I skidded across the road, tore my shorts (and ass) wide open, and the bike did a few somersaults. Damage: mangled shifter (Dura Ace of course), ripped handlebars, mangled derailleur (Dura Ace of course), and scraped pedal (Time RXS). The shifter is a loss, as is the derailleur. I will probably replace the handlebars since they took a good hit. I was going to upgrade to SRAM Red anyway, so I wasn't all that pissed. But the timing was pretty bad.

Next up...T100/Shaw Butte ride on my Kona 3 days after the Wed AM crash. Everything was going well until got to the bottom of Shaw Butte. I was goofing around on one of the small hills on the southwest side of Shaw Butte (just where the gnarly DH trail goes up and over another small hill). On my way down that hill the rear tire locked up. I looked down, and sure enough the derailleur cage got stuck in the spokes (???). The spoke got jammed in so well that I had to take apart the cage/pulleys to get the derailleur loose enough to pull it out of the spokes. Damage: thrashed rear derailleur (SRAM X0 of course) and mangled hanger. The derailleur had been on 2 bikes and was 4 yrs old, so once again I wasn't totally pissed...but with the damage to the IH and my road bike, this *really* was bad timing. After $225 for a new derailleur and hanger (and cable and everything else that got jacked up), I have the Kona back in my garage again.

So there you have it. 3 rides and over $1000 worth of damage to my bikes. And that doesn't include the ripped shorts and nasty road rash that I am still dealing with. As I said, if bad luck comes in 3's, then I should be in good shape for the rest of the year (or more)

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    your welcome...Sam

pedaller
    You don't know your own strength Superman.
    "Nobody ever told me not to try" - Curious George Soundtrack by Jack Johnson

"Yabut"
    Yeah, what are the chances of breaking 4 bikes, right?.......Right?
    ~Aaron~
    "I like the night life. I like to boogie."

www.CosmicRaces.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dgangi
    They say that bad luck comes in 3's. If that is the case then I am in good shape, because my past 3 bike rides have killed 3 bikes.

First up...NRA 2 weekends ago. I took my Iron Horse 6point out for some fun on the B-line (still can't do all of the A-line jumps...yet). On one of the landings my rear tire blew off the rim...causing me to skid uncontrollably and crash. I was OK, but the rear rim took a good beating from rolling directly on the rocks w/o a tire. Damage: folded bead and potentially ruined rim. Slippery Pig as since tried to fix it and the tire is holding air...so far. I could still need a new rim (and wheel build).

Next up...my early AM road ride 3 days later. On a right turn in Arcadia (64th to Lafayette), I hit some water and the rear tire slid out. I skidded across the road, tore my shorts (and ass) wide open, and the bike did a few somersaults. Damage: mangled shifter (Dura Ace of course), ripped handlebars, mangled derailleur (Dura Ace of course), and scraped pedal (Time RXS). The shifter is a loss, as is the derailleur. I will probably replace the handlebars since they took a good hit. I was going to upgrade to SRAM Red anyway, so I wasn't all that pissed. But the timing was pretty bad.

Next up...T100/Shaw Butte ride on my Kona 3 days after the Wed AM crash. Everything was going well until got to the bottom of Shaw Butte. I was goofing around on one of the small hills on the southwest side of Shaw Butte (just where the gnarly DH trail goes up and over another small hill). On my way down that hill the rear tire locked up. I looked down, and sure enough the derailleur cage got stuck in the spokes (???). The spoke got jammed in so well that I had to take apart the cage/pulleys to get the derailleur loose enough to pull it out of the spokes. Damage: thrashed rear derailleur (SRAM X0 of course) and mangled hanger. The derailleur had been on 2 bikes and was 4 yrs old, so once again I wasn't totally pissed...but with the damage to the IH and my road bike, this *really* was bad timing. After $225 for a new derailleur and hanger (and cable and everything else that got jacked up), I have the Kona back in my garage again.

So there you have it. 3 rides and over $1000 worth of damage to my bikes. And that doesn't include the ripped shorts and nasty road rash that I am still dealing with. As I said, if bad luck comes in 3's, then I should be in good shape for the rest of the year (or more)

Thx...Doug
    Reminds me of those inspirational signs from despair.com.

http://www.despair.com/mis24x30prin.html
    "Thank you, God, for letting me have another day"
    The Milagro Beanfield War

banned
    Sep 2007
    Right about now, perhaps a single speed is in your future?

Pivotal figure
    2 words man; Extreme Shuffleboard!
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

Plasko
    Maybe its time for another hobby?

sprocket

Thx...Doug
    you gotta pay to play.

mtbr member
    Nice. Maybe you should join me in some off-the-bike convalescing. I can't belive how productive one can be and how much money can be saved when taking a month away from mountain bikes.

vmb
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

could be two reasons this happened:

>>>>On my way down that hill the rear tire locked up. I looked down, and sure enough the derailleur cage got stuck in the spokes (???).

Doug,

I've had that happen too many times to count....It could be because:

1) Your chain might be a bit too long and the lateral sway of chain slap throws the derailluer into the spokes (usually on chunky sections)

2) if you had the chain on your big cog in the rear (the 34/32 tooth depending on cassette), it doesn't take much chunk to throw the chain/derailluer into the wheel

One suggestion is to always stay at least three cogs away from the inside when descending.

At least you have the excuse to buy some new gear

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yetisurly
    you gotta pay to play.

He's a Richer

I push my bike up hills
    I feel your pain, 4th day on my first 26" (brand new) I hit a car and broke my hangar and my derailleur exploded.

Trying out SS till I can afford to fix it.

Still....not the most expensive hobby I've ever had, hope we both get back up to speed before the next bump in the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vmb
    >>>>On my way down that hill the rear tire locked up. I looked down, and sure enough the derailleur cage got stuck in the spokes (???).

Doug,

I've had that happen too many times to count....It could be because:

1) Your chain might be a bit too long and the lateral sway of chain slap throws the derailluer into the spokes (usually on chunky sections)

2) if you had the chain on your big cog in the rear (the 34/32 tooth depending on cassette), it doesn't take much chunk to throw the chain/derailluer into the wheel

One suggestion is to always stay at least three cogs away from the inside when descending.

At least you have the excuse to buy some new gear
    Rut Roh, giving Doug advice = not good idea.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Right about now, perhaps a single speed is in your future?
    It's already in my future as my SS the only bike in my stable that didn't get ruined this month.

But...now that I said it, I'm sure something will break on it.

Thx...Doug

mtbr member
    It's already in my future as my SS the only bike in my stable that didn't get ruined this month.

But...now that I said it, I'm sure something will break on it.

Thx...Doug
    Go check out Chollaball's thread. That ought to make you feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by chongoman
    Go check out Chollaball's thread. That ought to make you feel better.
    Great, thanks for pointing me to that bunch of sunshine and happiness. Just what I need right now. Where did I put my meds... ?

Thx...Doug

Not a Barry supporter.
    The SS Gods were not happy with your bike choices of late.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Members who have read this thread: 0