mtbr member
    Apr 2008

3 days in sedona / flagstaff

hey everyone....i saw the visitors thread and that has helped but im only in the area from the east coast for 2.5-3 days tops and i wanted to see with this amount of time what people would suggest for the 2-3 rides that are a "must do" in the area. would prefer something that im not going to get lost on as id rather be riding than trying to find my way back.

so if you had 3 days in sedona / flagstaff what are the 3 trails you would say are absolutes to get the best riding in the area?

thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    What kind of riding suits your style?

Shift less, Pedal more.
    For Sedona I would start at Bell Rock, and go to Templeton, around Cathedral Rock, to Buddah Beach, and then back. About 15-17 miles. If you want, add the Llama Loop before Templeton for an extra 4 tech miles.

For Flagstaff, park at the Y, go up Elden Lookout road, down Sunset, down Little Bear, then down Shultz back to the Y. About 22-24 miles.

Hopefully this helps. You can find trails in the Cosmic Ray's Mountain Bike book at any LBS in AZ.
    I'd rather be hated for what I am, than loved for what I'm not......Dolemite.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i will definitely pick up cosmic rays. i heard that is good. thanks for those trails.

honestly not sure what im looking for. ive ridden all over the east coast but never gone riding further west than womble in arkansas. im used to tight rooty singletrack in the woods. i dont mind climbs at all. definitely not looking for just downhill trails. cross country is good. dont mind technical, but prefer not to have too much hike a bike. i definitely want as much singletrack as possible vs riding double track or access roads.

thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Supermoto on the San Francisco Peaks is a fun run, slowly descending a mid level tech trail.
    Hangover Trail in Sedona if you want tougher tech.
    agmtb

gravity challenged
    May 2009

Good job!

Here's the best map I've seen of the Eldon and Ft. Valley trails in Flag:

http://www.singletrack.us/gallery/di...album=58&pos=0

Pay attention to the ratings... Some of the black diamonds and double blacks mean business! Not real rideable in some cases going up or down unless you're a fairly serious gravity nutjob with safety gear! My favorite moderate "XC" ride is up Shultz, up Climb 3, down Sunset (lower part), down Shultz. Rocky Ridge is fun, up and over Brookbank is also good but some definite work. The grind up Eldon Rd. is long and not exciting but leads to some great trails up top. Upper part of Sunset is challenging in places coming down. Little Bear is a long and interesting downhill that's cut into the side of a pretty steep slope with good views that can be distracting in the wrong places! All in all a great mountain to ride, really offers something for everyone. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    thanks again for all the advice. will definitely check a lot of those places out.

EDR
    skip the road ride up Shultz, take the singletrack(s) west (I think) of the road. I mean, if your going to ride 5 or 6 miles up the hill why ride on the road? Am I the only one who has never considered riding the road up? (keep in mind I've only ridden Elden twice, haha).

My other ride is your mom
    No...You are not the only one who has never considered riding the road up....FTR....the singletrack is just east of the road...pick it up in the parking lot at the base of Schultz and head uphill.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    In Flag, take Shultz up, (easy to moderate climb), to upper parking lot, then continue straight on to Sunset, (harder climb up), to Little Bear on the left. Go down Little Bear, (with big smile on your face), to Little Elden. Take left and climb again til it intersects back with Shultz, and go right, back to upper lot. Then scream 4 miles downhill on Shultz, but watch for hikers and bikers coming up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Doc rock's route is nice, just realize you will be climbing back out after your sweet descent on Little Bear. azoutside is right, if you are NOT a DH/FR guy, SOME of the stuff off Elden is serious gnar, I would not call Doc's route serious gnar, just FUN!!! Enjoy.......

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i printed out some copies of that map...looks very detailed so thats good

what is jedi trail like? i have read good things in bike mag or somewhere. is it a pretty big climb/downhill? looks like it might be based on the topo lines. anyone know about how many miles jedi tr is?

thanks!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    skip the road ride up Shultz, take the singletrack(s) west (I think) of the road. I mean, if your going to ride 5 or 6 miles up the hill why ride on the road? Am I the only one who has never considered riding the road up? (keep in mind I've only ridden Elden twice, haha).
    Yep, the singletrack route up has several parts which are flat where you can pedal easily and catch your breath. The road never lets up. The trail scenery is amazing and far better than riding up the dusty road with cars.

If you can't ride up most of the trail (sure a few dabs or short hikes is normal) then you have no business riding down Sunset trail in terms of technical.

The only reasons I've ridden the road are to connect various trails or a few times when I'm riding my 45lb bike and just wanted a "quick fix" in terms of downhill action.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Actually a lot of us locals use Elden lookout road climbing. It's quick and to the point and from the top we can go anywhere. A bud and I climbed it today to ride all of Wasabi then we went back up to ride Brookbank/Promnight. Sick ride, best dirt since June.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona
    Actually a lot of us locals use Elden lookout road climbing. It's quick and to the point and from the top we can go anywhere. A bud and I climbed it today to ride all of Wasabi then we went back up to ride Brookbank/Promnight. Sick ride, best dirt since June.
    Ya, if I was a local and rode Elden often I could see myself riding the road up. Out of town-ers like myself only get up there every so often, so the idea of a 'road ride' is less than appealing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    This might not be much help, but there is a short trail, out and back, in oak creek canyon, between Sedona and Flagstaff. I hiked it in Feb when I was out here on vacation and I can't wait to get up there to ride it. You cross the creek several times, then go back into some thick pines. If you go to google maps, look for shady lane off of 89a, between sedona and flag. That is where you park. I don't know for sure that bikes are allowed on it, I sure hope so though. IIRC it was around 4 miles total. I will try to add some pix.

Last edited by rockyrunner99; 08-27-2009 at 06:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Jedi is pretty technical, but tons of fun. Not too vertical (comparatively) but I would definitely recommend riding down it (up Schultz, up little Gnarly and down Jedi). Its around 2 miles long.
    Disclaimer: Bo does not actually know anything at all.

EDR
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer
    No...You are not the only one who has never considered riding the road up....FTR....the singletrack is just east of the road...pick it up in the parking lot at the base of Schultz and head uphill.
    Ya, I didn't mean to say ride UP Shultz trail. Last time I was there we rode up all kinds of trails, none of which were Shultz. We parked past the cattle guard and to the left. It was a long day of climbing. I think we rode every trail in the 'wrong' direction.

Members who have read this thread: 0