27.5 Plus as a MAIN bike?- Mtbr.com
    No Clue Crew

27.5 Plus as a MAIN bike?

Who's rocking a 27.5+ as their main bike? It's a curious thought because you can find some nice, slack, 160mm rigs with 2.8" tires but those big tires just cause conflict in my brain. I saw something in some reviews on the Scott Genius LT 720 Plus that said there's only like a 2% increase in rolling resistance on the 2.8" tires when compared with their same 27.5 model with 2.35" tires. Comforting but it's still has me wondering if the fatter tires would be a mistake.

Rocks belong
    Having ridden them in the wild. No thanks.

Heavy wheels and tires. Too fat to rip, to narrow to float.

B+ hardtail as a 2nd bike? sure. One and only? Not for me.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

My other ride is your mom
    Increase in rolling resistance is only part of the equation: rotational mass is the significant factor which will dictate acceleration out of corners, effort uphill, etc.

mtbr member
    Been riding a 29+ (Krampus) as my main bike for nearly 3 years now. My FS 29r gets very little use comparatively.

Rocks belong
    See, different strokes for different folks. Which shows that the best way is to.... ride and determine what you like
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06HokieMTB View Post
    See, different strokes for different folks. Which shows that the best way is to.... ride and determine what you like
    Exactly. I am looking forward to test riding some 650B stuff to compare with the 29+. With respect to the increase in rolling resistance, depends on the terrane and whether you are going up or down. Definitely more effort on climbs with higher volume tires. One point that many over look or don't mention is that rare occasion when you get a flat, that is a lot of air volume to pump back into a tire trail side.

I love bike!
    I think the real question here should be...Can a 27.5+ bike take both bigOmike's physical and verbal abuse???

Not sure how the Specialized has held up for so long.

No Clue Crew
    Well, weight and rolling masses aren't really an issue. My ride is a 26" 35# rig so there isn't much that would be worse than what I have. Just trying to think outside the box so to speak.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by big0mike View Post
    I saw something in some reviews on the Scott Genius LT 720 Plus that said there's only like a 2% increase in rolling resistance on the 2.8" tires when compared with their same 27.5 model with 2.35" tires.
    This is exactly what's wrong with biking! Ride your ****ing bike.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm planning a Stumpy FSR fattie as my only bike in AZ. If I don't like it I think the resale will be strong enough. I didn't think the extra rolling resistance was a big deal when I rode it.

No Clue Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    This is exactly what's wrong with biking! Ride your ****ing bike.
    I knew you would have some extremely good input...

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

slower than you
    650b. best bike i have ever owned.

27.5 Plus as a MAIN bike?-11145123_10153101442943123_8444670628495003969_o.jpg
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Yeah, but that's a Coconino, not your run of the mill 650B. That's a very cool bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    650b. best bike i have ever owned.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11145123_10153101442943123_8444670628495003969_o.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	353.4 KB 
ID:	1025905
    Maybe take it back to Steve and have him bend the tubes so you can run 27.5+. Then it will be the best bike you have ever owned.

mtbr member
    How I know I'm old... I can remember when light tires around 650g were the way to go and 2.1 was plenty wide. Head tubes around 69deg were considered aggressive. Higher bottom brackets so you never clipped rocks with your pedals.

Good question bigo and not trying to derail your thread. Just reminiscing over a few things I guess!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I think the plus thing would have a negative effect on cornering. Cornering being my most favorite part of mountain biking isn't something I would want to sacrifice capability wise.

Basically: I'm not buying the hype and a lot of the gimmicks that come out every year seem desperate to me.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Maybe take it back to Steve and have him bend the tubes so you can run 27.5+. Then it will be the best bike you have ever owned.
    in my world, the suspension fork makes it +
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

parenting for gnarness
    I have a friend who just went that route with his beauty yeti carbon 29er, and he loves it. I have had a fat bike for 4 yrs, the last year I put some money into it for new tires and dropped 5lbs to turn it into a much nicer bike. Also have ridden a rigid, single speed + bike. So I've got a bit of experience coming from different directions on this topic (though no expert).

IMO, first and foremost, the tires are only 1 part of the bike. Carbon frame and good components, good suspension are still huge. New generation fat and plus bikes can handle a ton, but they also cost like other premium bikes. The tires make a difference where you would expect - more grip, more float, but also more resistance. I didnt find them to be that noticeable on dry XC trails - just bigger. The gears and suspension were more noticeable to me.
    YES to Scottsdale Prop 420
    Our Preserve, Our Taxes, Our Vote

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    I think the plus thing would have a negative effect on cornering. Cornering being my most favorite part of mountain biking isn't something I would want to sacrifice capability wise.

Basically: I'm not buying the hype and a lot of the gimmicks that come out every year seem desperate to me.
    I didn't either, but picked up a 29+ recently. Cornering was not my strong point, but on the 29+, I'm amazed how well the bike corners. Now, granted, it also has a shorter chainstay. But it really rails around the corners.
    Last edited by Casual Observer; 11-03-2015 at 08:56 PM.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Observer View Post
    I didn't either, but picked up a 29+ recently. Cornering was not my strong point, but on the 29+, I'm amazing how well the bike corners. No, granted, it also has a shorter chainstay. But it really rails around the corners.
    Cool! I am basically talking out of my a$$ since I haven't tried one yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Are the tires still sh!t? Probably. A 2.8" tire performing like an Ardent or Ikon or whatever pansy-ass XC tires the weight Nazis enjoy using negates any advantages of the platform.
    Nice KOM, sorry about your penis.

mtbr member
    I ride my fatbike year round here in the Phoenix area. I Digg it. It is very capable and corners like a jackrabbit. I haven't rode my skinny mtb. bikes for a while now. The rollover, and traction benefits are amazing! I do have front suspension, and it is carbon fiber. Fat is here to stay.

mtbr member
    my only ride is a Steel HT on 2.8's .. Love em! more cushion for the pushing

Currently riding McDowell & Hawes areas mostly .. It handles great but I did crash hard on twisted Sister (slide front end into an iceberg of a rock) .. too much PSI. Air pressure is everything on 27.5+ .. once you find the sweet spot you will throw away the 29's.

When I do pony up for a Full Squishy bike it will have clearance for + tires for sure
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27.5 Plus as a MAIN bike?-uploadfromtaptalk1445911951276.jpg  

mtbr member

I put B+ tires on my Canfield. I liked 29er tires better.

Below is a picture of my Riot. After 4 rides, I decided to go back to my 29er wheels. Too much rotational weight and too ponderous for me. I like the more nimble feeling of the bike with 29er wheels over the B+ wheels. I know some people like them, but not for me. If I lived in Phoenix and rode rocky trial like National Trail all the time, I might like them, but in the mountains of Idaho they are unnecessary until the snow flies.

27.5 Plus as a MAIN bike?-img_4562.jpg
    Evil Following
    Intense Carbine 275
    Giant Anthem Advanced
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Tarmac SL4
    Ducati M1100s
    KTM 350 XCF-W

mtbr member
    Wish u were local so I could see that thing in person .. its pretty high on my list right now

Sent from The Bunny Ranch

mtbr member
    It is great bike in Idaho (where we have some chunky trails), but it would be an awesome bike in Phoenix. It is a rock crusher, but still really nimble with the super short stays. I had sworn off 29ers until this bike.
    Evil Following
    Intense Carbine 275
    Giant Anthem Advanced
    Canfield Yelli Screamy
    Tarmac SL4
    Ducati M1100s
    KTM 350 XCF-W

mtbr member
    I haven't ridden one but I was at a Specialized demo day a few weeks back and the rep there said 27.5+ "is the future".

mtbr member
    I was able to demo the Salsa Pony Rustler and the Specialized Stumpy 650fatty.

For back ground purposes I ride an Enduro29 with Goma2.4's front and rear on wide rims.

On the Stumpy I found that the tires rolled smoother over the chunk. I tend to just point and shoot my lines and this bike did a great job. I can't say it was faster than my E29 but it felt smoother and I felt comfortable. The climbing felt just fine. I didn't feel like the tires were a hinderance but I also didn't feel like they were an advantage. I think the tire selection has a ways to go.

The Salsa was not as smooth as the Stumpy. The front was a little soft for my weight but I could feel the chunk more on the Salsa. Same deal with the climbing and tires.

As far as the tires go. I would like to see a tire more in line with the Goma, Butcher, or the Minion. Bigger taller lugs and a little less of them. I feel like the trails down here in the Tucson area require a tire better suited for sand over hard and lots of sharp and smooth granite.

I am really on the fense about building a 27+ for my E29 because of the tire selection. I might just wait a year and see what changes in the + market. It would be cool if I could put some faster rolling skinnier tires for some of the XC stuff that I live near. Then just put on my 27+ when I hit the techy stuff.

I do think that 27+ will probably take off more than the 29+ because there are a lot of 29 frames that will be 27+ compatible. But I don't think there will be an overwhelming demand for them because I just don't think the market as a whole will really need such a tire. Kind of like a fatbike. Maybe a little more user friendly because the weight is down and we won't need a specific frame and fork but "the next big thing" I'm not sold on.

mtbr member
    I wonder how the fatter tires are for sidewall durability. The trails I ride in Tucson are hard on tires, and with the fatter tires, are they making them thin to keep the weight down?

I am running the Goma 2.4 on both ends of my RIP-9 now, with pretty good luck, and about to mount some Chunky Monkey 2.4's. They should do good, as they are built on an Ardent casing, and I have had good luck with the Ardent 2.4, other than not liking the small side knobs. I hate thin sidewalls, because the rocks in TMP are great at slashing tires, so that would be a big concern here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin MD View Post
    I was able to demo the Salsa Pony Rustler and the Specialized Stumpy 650fatty.

For back ground purposes I ride an Enduro29 with Goma2.4's front and rear on wide rims.

On the Stumpy I found that the tires rolled smoother over the chunk. I tend to just point and shoot my lines and this bike did a great job. I can't say it was faster than my E29 but it felt smoother and I felt comfortable. The climbing felt just fine. I didn't feel like the tires were a hinderance but I also didn't feel like they were an advantage. I think the tire selection has a ways to go.

The Salsa was not as smooth as the Stumpy. The front was a little soft for my weight but I could feel the chunk more on the Salsa. Same deal with the climbing and tires.

As far as the tires go. I would like to see a tire more in line with the Goma, Butcher, or the Minion. Bigger taller lugs and a little less of them. I feel like the trails down here in the Tucson area require a tire better suited for sand over hard and lots of sharp and smooth granite.

I am really on the fense about building a 27+ for my E29 because of the tire selection. I might just wait a year and see what changes in the + market. It would be cool if I could put some faster rolling skinnier tires for some of the XC stuff that I live near. Then just put on my 27+ when I hit the techy stuff.

I do think that 27+ will probably take off more than the 29+ because there are a lot of 29 frames that will be 27+ compatible. But I don't think there will be an overwhelming demand for them because I just don't think the market as a whole will really need such a tire. Kind of like a fatbike. Maybe a little more user friendly because the weight is down and we won't need a specific frame and fork but "the next big thing" I'm not sold on.
    I have an E29 too and after a demo ride am adding an FSR Fattie to my stable. I'm partial to a Butcher/Slaughter combo on the E29 and can't help but think that a 27.5+ front tire with bigger knobs would be great. On the other hand that 3.0 Purgatory had so much grip as is was. I'll be in Tucson in early January with the Fattie if you want to compare rides.
    2 wheels

Canfield Brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelsdown2002 View Post
    I wonder how the fatter tires are for sidewall durability. The trails I ride in Tucson are hard on tires, and with the fatter tires, are they making them thin to keep the weight down?

I am running the Goma 2.4 on both ends of my RIP-9 now, with pretty good luck, and about to mount some Chunky Monkey 2.4's. They should do good, as they are built on an Ardent casing, and I have had good luck with the Ardent 2.4, other than not liking the small side knobs. I hate thin sidewalls, because the rocks in TMP are great at slashing tires, so that would be a big concern here.
    I have the 2.8 WTB W/ Scraper combo, I think you concern on tire side wall is valid. I tore a big slice in the side wall on the second ride. The tire volume is so big , the side knobs don't hang out far enough, the side wall is just bulging out there, waiting for rocks to shred them. Other tires look better like the Vee.
    http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/frames
    Building bikes that make you smile!
    www.mtbparks.com
    All Bike Park, All the time.

The .05 percent
    Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    Cool! I am basically talking out of my a$$ since I haven't tried one yet.
    Trust me...you are not missing a thing

mtbr member
    Hopefully its not the same review you read. http://mbaction.com/uncategorized/fi...kes-from-scott