26" SS gearing suggestions for Tour of White Mountains- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm 26" SS gearing suggestions for Tour of White Mountains

I'd like to get some 26" SS gearing suggestions for Tour of the White Mountains that's coming up.
    I ride 33x18 on the Phoenix trails: So.Mtn.,Hawes/Usery, Black Canyon, T100 etc.
    I tried Four Peaks several weeks ago with this gearing and about puked a kidney.
    As I haven't ridden any of the trails in the Show Low area, any suggestions would be very helpful.
    Also, I am attempting the 67 mile course, so I don't want to die on the climbs or spin wildly on the descents.

mtbr member
    Right now I'm planning on 32:18 on my 26er (same as 32:20 on 29er) this worked great on the Crazy 44 SS in FLG. but that had WAY more climbing ( ~6k in 44 miles).

I'm only doing the 35 so it a different animal than the 67. I want a 32:16 for the first half, then 32:18 for the second. I think I'll just spin on the road. I tend to be a high tempo style rider anyway.
    b

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedlin' Slow
    I'd like to get some 26" SS gearing suggestions for Tour of the White Mountains that's coming up.
    I ride 33x18 on the Phoenix trails: So.Mtn.,Hawes/Usery, Black Canyon, T100 etc.
    I tried Four Peaks several weeks ago with this gearing and about puked a kidney.
    As I haven't ridden any of the trails in the Show Low area, any suggestions would be very helpful.
    Also, I am attempting the 67 mile course, so I don't want to die on the climbs or spin wildly on the descents.
    Your 33x18 will be perfect.
    Ride more; post less...

banned

No good

Quote Originally Posted by brianc
    Right now I'm planning on 32:18 on my 26er (same as 32:20 on 29er) this worked great on the Crazy 44 SS in FLG. but that had WAY more climbing ( ~6k in 44 miles).

I'm only doing the 35 so it a different animal than the 67. I want a 32:16 for the first half, then 32:18 for the second. I think I'll just spin on the road. I tend to be a high tempo style rider anyway.

It's not SS if you change gears mid course.

Just kidding.....

mtbr member
    yeah, I agree with what Walt said... whatever you normally run on the trails you mentioned would be a good choice for the tour... or Le Tour of the white mountains.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the help so far.
    I put on a 20 in the rear last week to climb up to Pinal Peak, outside Globe, from downtown. It felt real good, but that's 4,000' in 16 miles. We all know that Forest Service road is a lot different from singletrack though.
    Maybe I'll put the 18 back on and give it a shot.
    Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 0