24 oz Hawes Beerduro - Saturday, January 2nd show by 7:30am- Mtbr.com
    Addicted to 2 wheels

24 oz Hawes Beerduro - Saturday, January 2nd show by 7:30am

24 oz Hawes Beerduro - Saturday, January 2nd show by 7:30 and pedal by 8:00 - My House: 7755 E Western Hills, Mesa, AZ 85207. Be ready to ride for 24ish miles and climb around 2800ish feet. Expect to get back to my place around 2ish. Have you own supplies for food, water, tube, tools, beverages, ...

This will be the best of Hawes. Tests will all be fun down hill oriented trails. NRA will be included, but you do not have to jump anything.
    Last year we started with 24 and finished with 18 or so. Plenty of bail out points. Will bbq some grub in my backyard after while we tally the scores.

More to come. Here is the course and Mulligans from last year. I may throw a few tweaks at it though. Not doing cairins, but will pre-mark with flour the best I can. Will find some type of amazing award for 2nd place.

Course (way too much detail):

Start in a transfer. From my house, go East 60 feet into the dirt. Take a right at the path, and follow it to the big road to the left of the fountain. Cross over the median and up Las Sendas Mountain for 4ish minutes. Turn left at Diamond Point gate. Pass two houses on the left and turn left into the single track. Climb for a couple minutes and once you see the telephone pole and cairns, turn right. A minute later, take the straight option. Stop at the highest point before the gate.

Test 1: Drop down to the right of the gate and take a left on to Hawes 40 feet down. After a ˝ mile or a few minutes, turn right on Magic Carpet/Upper Saguaro. (This trails showed up 2 years ago, so it might be new to you.) Go a few minutes, and take a left at the fork. Go less than a minute and turn right on to Ridge/Disneyland. Finish in the wash before the fork to Secret. Transfer to Secret taking the right and go for over 5 minutes.

Test 2: Start at Secret DH. After a few minutes, option to go straight, or right. Go straight and then over the big rock for 10 second Mulligan. Gets a little techy and go down switchbacks, then end in the wash. Transfer by following the trail and turn right, going up Mine Climb, then first right to Twisted Sister. Proceed on Twisted for 10-15ish minutes. It is challenging.

Test 3: Twisted Sister as soon as it is all Down Hill, all the way down to the road. There will be a big drop down into a wash and a big up (40 feet). Carry a lot of speed up and then drop down low in the gears or you will not make it up. After that, keep going straight down to the road. Don’t take the hard right. Finish on the shoulder of the road. Be careful for the high speed off camber left.
    Back track to Wild Horse, turning left. Go for 15ish minutes and take a right off the main trail to scope out the little jumps and then cross back on to a main trail and take the first right into NRA. Climb up for a couple minutes and follow the big berm right, up the hill for a few minutes. Stop after after the two berms.

Test 4: Downhill with berms and fun easy jumps. Follow the karins/back track the way we came. REPEAT, PAY ATTENTION TO THE CAIRNS. It is a spider web of options out there. Count your jumps and get a second mulligan for each one you hit. Will continue into Wild Horse and stop around a big wash before an uphill. Short transfer.

Test 5: The sweet dh/flowy oriented second half or so of Wild Horse to the Twisted Connector. So much flow, but also long and XC. Pace yourself and enjoy one of the best sections of trail in AZ. Finish at the junction. Transfer left back into the big drop and back up. Climb Twisted and turn right at the top to transfer to Mine Trail. Stop at the Mine saddle and check out the mine to the left.

Test 6: Mine Down Hill. Start at the mine. Be careful on this trail. Some might want to get off at a step down after a hairpin turn a few minutes in. Finish at the left turn to Granite. Transfer over to Pride Rock (Ridge) Take the first left, then go straight at the next option. Stop at the top.

Test 7: Roller Coaster down to the Wash.

Test 8: Stop at the Beer Bush for the special test with your time multiplied by 10. Then continue and make a left on Hawes. (Group vote on TRW out and back test, or group split?) Continue on Hawes and start test past Red Ledge.

Test 9: Start test past Red Ledge. Turn right at the junction and follow through to finish at the junction of Fenceline/houses.

Transfer back to my house. Go left onto Hawes, then take the right/straight a couple minutes up. Tuck under the fence to Red Mountain Trail. Once on the road, go left/uphill for a few minutes. Take the second Mountain Gate, gate on left, #7777. Go right and house on the right with cars everywhere. Grab a beverage and head on back.

Bring a good attitude, style for a Mulligan, and the beverage of your choice. I will supply hot dogs and chili for after. You are welcome to contribute whatever you want to share after, but that is optional, so don’t sweat it.

Mulligans are 60 seconds:
    Up to 5 for style (Group decides)
    Unlimited for trail stoke, you did something cool for the group or an individual (Group decides)
    Longest drive
    Picked up a piece of trash
    Best crashes (Group decides based on your story)
    Told a joke to the group and people laughed.
    10 seconds for Rock after Secret
    3 second per jump on Test 4.

Thread from last year: http://forums.mtbr.com/arizona/40-oz...ts-940059.html

Taco Video from last year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVfGxQvHOhY and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_XdSX7BErU

Post up questions, if you plan to make it, ideas, stoke, ... No mtbr complaining allowed though.
    Last edited by SugarHigh; 11-21-2015 at 08:09 AM.

How much further ???
    Too long to read. I'm in.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    PM or AM? I am in either way.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

Click Click Click
    I am IN!
    "You either want to or you don't."

Meatbomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Douger-1 View Post
    Too long to read. I'm in.

I read it all and having never ridden out there, i have no clue where to go.

mtbr member
    Now I wonder if every gate in las sendas is sevens lol. That's what ours is too

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Yes, that was way too detailed. I would rather give too much detail as folks will always get off course no matter how well it is marked.

The important time is to be ready by 8am to start pedaling. Day time beerduro.

Philbo, You can just follow the group and keep an eye for markings. Or memorize every word.

I wish they were all 7's. There is a master code that changes every 6 or so months. Ask a realtor buddy in the area.

Found a sweet trophy at the thrift store yesterday. It was so cool that I ended up giving it to my neighbor for his bar. Should not have been drinking with him and showed it to him. I will keep an eye out for something good, or let me know if you have something that will work.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    Should not have been drinking with him and showed it to him
    Sounds like this may have been non-consensual.

But word to the wise: never drink and show your trophy to other people.

mtbr member
    Will try and make it!
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Pending a snowboard trip I should be in for this

mtbr member
    On my calendar...

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I had a lot of fun last time!

I noticed someone had done a lot of cactus trimming on Twisted Sister recently. Good on them.

Thanks for hosting this again!

Always in the wrong gear
    I will try to be there. I i do make it ill bring the trophy from EstrellaDuro.
    Salsa El Mariachi SS

Flat Tire Bike Shop, Cave Creek, AZ

mtbr member
    NW guys I can fit 5 bikes and riders and will be the designated driver. List below of who is in- let me know if you want a ride!

-Dirtbyte
    -Taco?
    -?
    -?
    -?
    Vassago Cycles, Shadetree Bikes, Flat Tire Bikes, Galfer Brakes USA

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Looks like the cool folks will be coming! We got Prescott, Breezy Pine, Flag, West side, the rest of the Valley...
    We need some Tucson folks to catch on so we can get someone to throw an event down there.
    Anyone from Payson?
    Estrellan Crew?

Coondog, Let me know if you can make it, or if you want to pass the trophy off to someone else who is coming.

Any locals have any input on the course? I can't think of a better lay out than last year. I might try to throw in an out and back on TRW at the end though? It just has such great flow going West. That wil be a judgement call on time though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I would say make trw the last segment and drop the one back toward fenceline. I nearly puked trying to clim some of that stuff with my stomach full of ipa

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by djyoung4 View Post
    I would say make trw the last segment and drop the one back toward fenceline. I nearly puked trying to clim some of that stuff with my stomach full of ipa
    Consider that another challenge to the test. Part of the course. Maybe we offer a puke Mulligan?

You call those climbs though? A few slight rises. I will consider the change.

mtbr member
    bummed I'm gonna miss this gonna be in Tahoe till Sunday, This is a really great time!!

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Less than a week away. With the recent rain in chill temps, trails will be with good traction. It is foretasted to warm up a little, but be prepared with layer to stay warm for the early part of the day. We are pedaling at 8:00, so try to show up around 7:30. 7755 E Western Hills St, Mesa

Roll Call: Below is what I have seen come in here and FB/text. I think we can handle 50 fairly easy. Please post up your latest intentions, so we can ensure the beer bush is stocked and we decide on any test changes.

In (19):
    Douger
    Eyeballz - Frank
    TacoBeer – Guy SS
    Dirtbyte – Dennis SS
    Cstem – Cory SS
    Chainslap – Geoff +?
    Old Romper
    Richard M
    Arturo
    Facebook
    Jason P
    Danny R
    Rachael M SS +?
    Ty Criner SS
    Jeff W
    Ryan Slipery Pig
    Mike M
    Adele L
    KC B

Maybe:
    Philbo
    Helimech – Mike
    Djyoung – Daniel
    CoonDog SS

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'm in

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I should be there.

How much further ???
    Last edited by Douger-1; 01-03-2016 at 08:30 AM.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

Addicted to 2 wheels
    The beer bush is full of 12 oz Bud Light and 8 Frescas for those that do not drink. The course is marked with flour where needed. No clue how many will show. Arrive by 7:45 at the latest. Need to sign in, riders meeting and be pedaling by 8:00am.
    7755 E Western Hills, Mesa gate #7777
    Be ready to get back around 2ish, so bring some food for the trail. Bring any beverages you choose and some water. I grabbed 32 hot dogs from the store. If you want bring some stuff for the grill, chips, fruit, whatever ... and maybe some beer for after if you are into that kind of thing.
    Call or text me if you are lost in the car or on the trail. 480-290-3900
    Should be a good time!

How much further ???
    Thanks for setting this up Shawn. Seems everyone had a great time, no mechanicals, and only a little road rash here and there. Thanks for hosting.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Another fun Hawes 24 oz Beerduro in the books. We started with 22, rolling out at 8:15. We can back with 16 at 1:45. 22ish miles and 2,600 in elevation. Douger is our celebrated 2nd Place Winner. Rae took the womens class and Taco took SS. All had a good time except for Johann who followed someone not in our group away from the start of the first test.

No flats on Test 1 this time! NRA, followed by Twisted Sister were the favorites test. One flat was the only mechanical and it did not slow us down. Flour worked pretty good for marking. Beer bush was cold and refreshing. BBQ and awards was relaxing and fun.

Mulligans:
    Style- Douger's KiltLifter, Taco Beers Pancho
    Crash - Taco busted seat, Dan C blood, Chris Raspberry, Richard blood, Mack great story w a crash on the jumps, Tim Y jump crash and more
    Stoke - Rae for bringing food and beer, Geoff/Chainslap for medical, Richard M lending a bike, Mack for 3rd time on a mtb and surviving (plus it was SS)
    Drive - Mike Knowles
    Joke - Doug, Shawn, Taylor
    Trash Picked Up - Kirk G (poo bag!), Aaron C, Tim Y
    Most Jumps: Shawn 24, Geoff/Chainslap 23, Tim Y 22, Mike K 20, Richard 20

Results by test and the rest are below in image.

When is the next one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 24 oz Hawes Beerduro - Saturday, January 2nd show by 7:30am-hawes-24-oz-beerduro-results-1.2.16-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Top two were on 26ers. Therefore, 26ers must be the fastest.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mazur View Post
    Let me guess, he was riding a Devinci?

mtbr member
    You are correct Rockman!

Thanks to SugarHigh for hosting this awesome event. Also to thanks to Rachel (not sure MTBR name) for providing the goodies.
    SHITBIRD

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by mazur View Post
    Id agree with that

mtbr member
    Awesome event guys! Big thanks to Shawn for hosting up and organizing this excellent shindig, Frank and Doug for timekeeping, RaeRae for the provisions and libations, KingFatHand for helping me with time entry, and everyone else for coming out making for a great day of riding!

Knowles and I will have to scheme on the 2nd Prescott Beerduro course come summer.

And remember folks: 26 ain't dead.

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Chain, You are just lucky the fast locals on 29ers did not show up! Maybe they were scared of you? (phall, candon, djyoung went to got suck lemons). Definitely making the Prescott Beerduro. Also debating Monstercross 59 or the Whiskey 30?

Thank you Chain and Chris for inputting the time cards! That is a tough job and you guys rocked it! Harder for me to host and deal while I have to be attention to detail.

Also thanks to Kirk for handling the grill, helped marking and hiking with me to stock the beer bush. Lot's of help!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarHigh View Post
    Chain, You are just lucky the fast locals on 29ers did not show up! Maybe they were scared of you? (phall, candon, djyoung went to got suck lemons)
    Let me throw a wrench into that and point out that I ride 27.5" (the only wheel size that really works for AZ desert terrain)

You and the Beerduro were in our thoughts as we battled Mt. Lemmon. Wish I could have fit both into my holidays.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    26+ is going to be the new 27.5 killer.

mtbr member
    I thought crossbikes were the fastest ??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by -Chainslap- View Post
    And remember folks: 26 ain't dead.
    As he say's while looking for a Devinci Troy demo. Wanker.
    SHITBIRD

mtbr member
    559 is where it is at... The new "in thing for 2016"
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    559 is where it is at... The new "in thing for 2016"
    :P Clever.