24 Hours in the Old Pueblo- Mtbr.com
    Need more cowbell

24 Hours in the Old Pueblo

It's one month away. Who's in?

Does anybody have a GPS file for the route? We are thinking about going down for a pre-ride soon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskersOfDeath
    It's one month away. Who's in?

Does anybody have a GPS file for the route? We are thinking about going down for a pre-ride soon.
    Me. Heading up first thing Thursday to try and get prime spot on Solo Alley.

FYI regarding pre-rides (and somebody correct me if I'm giving bad info): I've been told that the area is a very, very popular quail hunting spot, and quail hunting season goes pretty much right up to race week. Two times I decided to pre-ride the course (last time was probably 4-5 years ago, so things might have changed), we had some issues. One time we came upon about 3 groups of hunters, and the other time another group of riders claimed to have been shot at (although I think they were exaggerating). Nonetheless, be sure to wear very bright clothes if you do.

Also, not sure how well marked the course is; one time I did it, I got completely lost, even though I had done the race the last 5 or 6 years, and knew the course like the back of my hand.
    Nobody gives a s#$t you singlespeed.

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    Also, not sure how well marked the course is; one time I did it, I got completely lost, even though I had done the race the last 5 or 6 years, and knew the course like the back of my hand.
    Yeah, that's why I was looking for GPS data...don't want to get lost....shot at would be bad too.

mtbr member
    Baja Designs will be there. We'll have tech support, semi-neutral charging, (I may harass people) and light sales at the event starting Thursday prior to the race. I'd like to get down to the race course as well to scope things out. I will be in AZ the last week of January, I'd be up for a pre-run of the course on the 26th or 27th, I'll go ride the course with you W.O.D. if you can make it one of those days.

In other news...Baja Designs is running some demo rides up near Phoenix and maybe one in Tucson the last week of January if you (or anyone else) would like to try out one of our systems prior to the race. Right now we are riding with Estrella Mountain Cyclery on the night of the 27th. I'd like to do a National/Corona Loma/Desert Classic night ride on South Mountain either Tuesday or Wednesday night that week, anyone wanna go?

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's why I was looking for GPS data...don't want to get lost....shot at would be bad too.
    I lived back east while I was in the Marine Corps and we were always a bit concerned over the deer hunters, we had a guy actually get shot on base one year, luckily the guy lived. Bright riding clothes was our only real defense, I suppose that a bell would help.

Has anyone checked the promoters site for GPS coordinates?

mtbr member
    GPS data should be available from the Epic Rides site.

Most of the people who hunt out there likely know about the race and would hopefully be aware of riders.

Most importantly make sure you have a State Land Permit if out there before the event. Your chances of getting ticketed are pretty good from what I have heard in the past.
    Singin' I love hike a bike!!!

Need more cowbell
    Looks like topofusion has one on their site from 2008....should still be current, right?

http://topofusion.com/race.php

mtbr member
    Looks like topofusion has one on their site from 2008....should still be current, right?

http://topofusion.com/race.php
    I'm so bad at reading maps, but does this say it's 34 miles long? If so, then it's wrong, as a lap is I think a bit over 16 miles.

This looks more like the GPS for the Soul Ride, or something else. Definitely not the Old Pueblo. The course looks like a figure 8.

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by skinny-tire
    I'm so bad at reading maps, but does this say it's 34 miles long? If so, then it's wrong, as a lap is I think a bit over 16 miles.

This looks more like the GPS for the Soul Ride, or something else. Definitely not the Old Pueblo. The course looks like a figure 8.
    Scroll down the page....you will see several maps before the old pueblo map.

mtbr member
    Scroll down the page....you will see several maps before the old pueblo map.
    Doh!

Yea, I see it now. Yep, that looks correct, and even has His and Hers

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    I'm in for a pre-ride sometime. I think Epic does a group pre-ride the week before and you can ride on their State Trust permit also. I think. I'm sure Garmin Connect has a track on there somewhere too.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

aka Diesel
    B, I'm still scouting for a pre-ride day. A series of misfortunate events has sadly fubar'd the expected pre-ride season, but next weekend is looking hopeful, this weekend is out. Football. Yo.

As to being shot at, wtf-ever. Exaggeration is right. Most dangerous thing we have ever run into during pre-rides, is a Shot Tree that magically appeared on our second lap, THAT was indeed dangerous. Yes. we ran into gun-toting bird murderers- ;-) But they were far less surprised to see us, than the other way around; I got the impression they weren't at all unaware of the race course and timing.
    "People do not lack strength; they lack will" (Victor Hugo)

Need more cowbell
    A few of us are tentatively eying the 29th.

Next weekend, I think I will be doing THIS

Monocog Masher
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaDesignsShannon
    Baja Designs will be there. We'll have tech support, semi-neutral charging, (I may harass people) and light sales at the event starting Thursday prior to the race. I'd like to get down to the race course as well to scope things out. I will be in AZ the last week of January, I'd be up for a pre-run of the course on the 26th or 27th, I'll go ride the course with you W.O.D. if you can make it one of those days.

In other news...Baja Designs is running some demo rides up near Phoenix and maybe one in Tucson the last week of January if you (or anyone else) would like to try out one of our systems prior to the race. Right now we are riding with Estrella Mountain Cyclery on the night of the 27th. I'd like to do a National/Corona Loma/Desert Classic night ride on South Mountain either Tuesday or Wednesday night that week, anyone wanna go?
    Are you by chance planning at being at the McDowell MBAA race the weekend of Jan 22 and 23? I wouldn't mind trying a Stryker Pro.

aka Diesel
    A few of us are tentatively eying the 29th.

Next weekend, I think I will be doing THIS
    Oooooow! Yes, that does appear a worthy venture!
    Well post-up, and so will I, as to pre-rides. I'm indeed a fair-weather biker, so playing it by ear!

Tucson, AZ
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    Oooooow! I'm indeed a fair-weather biker

mtbr member
    I might be taking over a duo slot but do not have a partner as of yet if anyone knows of someone looking to do a duo, let me know and then Im in!!

Pivotal figure
    I'll be there along with a bunch of other wackos
    Desert Sunset Calls/Upward, Pain, Perseverance/Welcome Solitude

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by azepicriderandrunner

I know, I know.
    Just keeping it real!
    Riding is my FUN zone, and I hate being cold!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Not sure what is going to be available but what would be the best (closest to race) hotel to stay in on Friday night? I will set up camp for Saturday-Sunday but would rather sleep in a hotel on Friday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr33
    Not sure what is going to be available but what would be the best (closest to race) hotel to stay in on Friday night? I will set up camp for Saturday-Sunday but would rather sleep in a hotel on Friday.
    Yea, good luck with that. The closest town is Oracle, which is probably 20-30 mins from the race venue. I have no idea if they have hotels, however. Tucson (or rather Ora Valley) is probably 40-60 mins away.

That said, Friday night is the best time to be there. Most racers are coming in, hundreds of fires going, a time to catch up with other racers, etc. Also, Saturday a.m. is going to be a complete cluster-****, as there is only one way in and out of the venue, and the course crosses the road. Lots of folks will likely be trying to get in Saturday before the race.

I am Walt
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteKis
    Riding is my FUN zone, and I hate being cold!!!
    Too bad!!

You, unfortunately, will suffer the misfortune of your S.O. being off the bike for this race, and thus, he will be riding vicariously through you!

I can't ride this year, as I'm off the bike until around April 1st due to triceps tendon repair surgery. I will therefore pour all of my energy into pitting for Deanna, and spurring her on to an UNBELIEVABLE performance!!

Yep, that's right...
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    I am looking to join a team, duo, quad, whatever! It is sold out and we didnt get in.

aka Diesel
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz
    Too bad!!

You, unfortunately, will suffer the misfortune of your S.O. being off the bike for this race, and thus, he will be riding vicariously through you!

I can't ride this year, as I'm off the bike until around April 1st due to triceps tendon repair surgery. I will therefore pour all of my energy into pitting for Deanna, and spurring her on to an UNBELIEVABLE performance!!

Yep, that's right...
    Cool, make you a deal Walt-

Bike makes me cry, I make YOU cry.
    Riding, you may do vicariously, suffering, shall be evenly imposed, once I lose my sense of humor for all things two-wheeled.

And yes, unbelievable as it might be, this year I may actually out-do last year's epic fail, given it is one month away, and I STILL have yet to throw a leg over my SS after months with no riding!

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr33
    There is some info on hotels at the bottom of This Page

A plethora of pinatas
    I will be doing it again this year on a 4 man team. Ty, Kyle, Daniel, Travis & Melissa of the AZ Devo team will be trying to defend their title in the 5-person co-ed 0-149 class.

Looking forward to seeing everyone down there again!
    Marty

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Sorry to keep bringing this thread back up. You guys talked me out of staying in a hotel on Friday night before the race. We will camp it out and be ready to race in the morning. So now my question is where should I stay on Sunday night after the race? I am flying out of Phoenix but not till Monday afternoon. I wold really like to stay in Tucson at a hotel that has a hot tub and is with in walking distance to restaurants/bars. Any suggestions? Thanks!

meow
    The Westward Look is just east of Ina and Oracle Rds., has several hot tubs, spa for massages, great mellow vibe, reasonable rates. Lots of restaurants back at the intersection of Ina-Oracle esp the SW corner, maybe a mile away. Magpie's Pizza is on the NW corner, awesome pies.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    For those of you worried about hotels there are only a couple that far north in Tucson. There is a Hilton, a Wydham, and a Holiday Inn Express. They are about 25 minutes south from Willow Springs Road. I rode the course on Sunday afternoon and there were a few people hunting. Most of the hunters will be out early in the morning when the birds are feeding. If you get on the trail around 10am I imagine there wont be to many hunters out. If anyone has specific questions about hotels, resturants, etc.. PM me. Be more than happy to share the info

Need more cowbell
    Quote Originally Posted by whoyawhit
    I rode the course on Sunday afternoon....
    How are the conditions? Thinking of tire options.

mtbr member
    How are the conditions? Thinking of tire options.
    Unless something dramatically changes between now and race day, low profile tires are the way to go. Lots of folks say the Kendra Small Block 8 is the ideal tire. Last year, Kendra was selling tires there, and they were a steal.

I'm running WTB Exiwolfs/Weirwolves. They are perfect for that course.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have GEAX Saguaro on my XX1XG. Rear tire slipped a couple times climbing but that could be from my inexperiance. Hardly any loose sand, trail does cross a couple small washes. Lots of hard pack and not rocky. Watch out for Cholla cactus!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    ive been out at the race twice now, but never paid attention. is there space set aside specifically for solo riders...or are you on your own with everyone else.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by campy3
    ive been out at the race twice now, but never paid attention. is there space set aside specifically for solo riders...or are you on your own with everyone else.
    Yes, Kona Bike Way is suppose to be reserved for soloists, and that's where I'm camping. There are a handfull of prime spots right on the course, but those are usually taken pretty quickly.
    http://www.epicrides.com/pdf/24/24_Hour_Town_2010.pdf

Members who have read this thread: 0