24 hours in the old peublo- Mtbr.com
    more beers, lees gears.

24 hours in the old peublo

Just a note: Dont forget to get your Arizona State Land Dept. RECREATIONAL USE PERMIT if you plan to pre-ride the course.

http://www.land.state.az.us/programs...oad_permit.htm

ride.
    I am law abiding(usually) and have my permit, but does anybody know why we have to have this?
    where does the money go and what do they do with it?

IMO, It doesn't really seem right to have to pay to ride on cow pasture...

more beers, lees gears.
    They are not public lands, but are instead the subject of a public Trust created to support the education of our children. The Land Department actually sells a relatively very small amount of land each year.

Its kind of confusing. But I gather it was part of the federal land grant back when AZ became a state. It holds the land for open space in the interest of keeping it open space.

I assume the money is split between administration, enforcement and the schools.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Close...

AZSLD was granted the land at statehood to help fund public education, prisons and a couple of other things which slip my mind at the moment. The land is held until there is interest in developing it then it is sold to the highest bidder at a public auction. This $$ is then put into a trust and the interest from this trust is used to fund a small percent of public education. In the meantime they lease the land for mining and grazing. The permit gives you the right to be on this trust land. State Trust Land is NOT public land and they do have a right to ticket you for trespassing. One last thing the AZSLD has absolutely no interest in preserving open space which is why it was very sad to watch Prop. 106 fail.
    Last edited by slugobikes; 11-30-2006 at 07:50 PM.

ride.
    that sounds more realistic.

thanks man.

more beers, lees gears.
    That does sound better. I was just kind of going off memory, missing a few details.

Regardless, it does require a permit to hike, drive or bike on. A hunting or fishing lic. will also grant access, but you must be hunting or fishing. not biking. Unless you find a way to combine biking with either hunting or fishing. Which would make for an awesome picture of a rider biking out with an elk strapped to the bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0