mtbr member
    Jun 2007

2019 McDowell Meltdown

So I found out my company's annual leadership meeting is in Phoenix this year the first week of January, so I've scheduled an extra day or two so I can ride while I'm there. A little googling revealed there's *probably* a race that weekend, the McDowell Meltdown, with XC and Marathon options available. Anytime work can pay for me to travel & race I'm in!

I race primarily ~6 hour stuff in sunny/sandy south Florida, so this looks like my kind of suffering. I'm a mid pack Cat2 guy here so not gunning for any podiums, just out to have fun and check out some new trails at racepace. A brief overview of the course doesn't look like tons of sustained climbing, low elevation above sea level, just a wattage smashfest through the desert. Running a Top Fuel, 36t x 10-42t, reinforced Vittoria Barzos most likely, 3-4 bottles of Infinit Nutrition mix would be my normal setup depending on temps and sag options. Any sag support out there or is it more self supported on the Marathon course? I'll likely not be able to pre-ride the course, just show up and race, so what should I know? Best post race beer/burrito spot?
    -DC, just some XC Bum in Sfla...

mtbr member
    Marathon is fast. I just moving up to CAT 1 for 2019 (won CAT 2 SS in 2018) and Marathon group is really fast. Fast as Cat 1/Pro, but the field is large and spread in terms of speed. The marathon course is one big lap plus loop or two around the main course. and I don't believe any aid stations, but there is feed area you can leave bottles at main start/finish.

As for the course. Smooth and loose dirt in places. Some short punchy climbs (30 second to a min at 8%) and some longer gradual climbs at 4-5%. Rocky in places also. In Arizona I mostly run 28t with 10-42, but probably for this I will put my 34t chain ring on. I don't think I will need the 28x42 ratio given the course and might spin out the 28x10 in a few spots. Even so I don't think I will spin out the 34x10. Very little "flat" on the course. Most up/down or rolling terrain.

Last year the marathon was 43 miles and 3200 feet of climbing. So not quite the 100ft/mile most rides around here are. Fast guys were about 3hrs.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Low speed, High Drag
    Make sure your tubeless set up is spot on. The desert is hard on tires, and we have all kinds of pokey stuff that likes to leave you stranded 10 miles from the finish line.

Spare tube, a couple of C02's, and a sidewall patch might be helpful, too.

I wouldn't worry about the pre-ride, if you're a CAT 2 MTB racer, you'll do fine. There's no real scary stuff out at McDowell.
    I need a cool saying to put here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Awesome, thanks for the info. We've got cactii and other sharp stuff down here in FL so I'm definitely familiar with the importance of FRESH sealant and thicker sidewalls.

I'm very used to getting smoked by the top Marathon guys, I'm comfortably midpack, though I like to see how long I can keep from getting lapped on the shorter course 6 hr races. I definitely prefer the longer lap format, we just don't have a ton of those down here in FL, usually 6-8 mile laps.

3-4 hours will be tough with 2 bottles, I'll have to see if I can stash one somewhere on course. I'm usually averaging a bottle an hour or so, depending on temp and pace. Glad to hear it's not too bad for someone from out of the area to show up and race. Out of curiosity, what kind of tires are guys running out there? Ikons and Fast Traks I'm guessing? I'm pretty comfortable with my Vittoria Barzos & Mezcals, but always like to see what people run elsewhere.

Any idea when registration opens?

My other ride is your mom
    I often ran the barzo or the mezcal in the back when I lived right next to the McD's, but I ran a front tire with more aggressive tread/side-lug. Lot's of loose to wash the front out and the barzo/mezcal combo did not help much in that department.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    I often ran the barzo or the mezcal in the back when I lived right next to the McD's, but I ran a front tire with more aggressive tread/side-lug. Lot's of loose to wash the front out and the barzo/mezcal combo did not help much in that department.
    Thanks for the tip, I'm in love with the Barzo G+ after it saved my bacon in Bentonville for Oz Trail Off Road (https://blog.bikeminded.com/epic-rid...50-race-recap/) but I'll keep an eye out for something more aggressive is McD's warrants it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Just registered, see ya'll there!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I'll be there! Cat 3 old guy class lol

mtbr member
    Nov 2018
    I was planning on having my wife hand me a bottle at the end of the big loop in the Pemberton Trailhead parking lot.

Is this feasible?

Is this a good place to stash bottles?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Had a blast out there, started on the back row because I was out warming up when everyone was lining up, picked my way through traffic and settled in for a fun day on the trails. I still suck at climbing but was able to make up some positions on the DH.

Somewhere about 5 miles from the finish I blew out a spoke while bombing a rock garden so I yanked it out and limped in. Didn't lose too much at the end, finished 43rd overall which is right about what I expected. Fun trails to ride blind for the first time, those guys put on a great event, thanks for making this Floridian feel at home!

https://www.strava.com/activities/2074321666

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    props for tackling that route. i've ridden most of the trails in the park on my own time, even even so, still barely made the top half of the first timer's category (which was obviously a MUCH shorter route.)

Learned that I need to try my luck in enduro... xc is definitely not my strong suit =)

Edit: good god, you beat my time on your lap 2 (which was my lap 1 and only lap) by 4 minutes... even after powering through the other 33 miles before.. nice!

mtbr member
    Looks like you hung out with my boys at Early Bird. Nice. I raced, but was sick. I lasted 3 minutes before I could not breath and limped to the end of the first lap. Then went home and slept. Not a good day for me.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Ahh bummer you had a bad race Joe, those Early Bird dudes were great, welcomed me right in. Alot of podiums celebrated under that tent, dudes are super strong and most of them on SS. Did you race SS or the geared bike?

I thought the route was great, hopefully I can come back next year for work again and see if I can shave some time knowing the course a little better. I'd like to see how long I could hang with those top dudes before I blew up instead of navigating traffic the first 30-45 minutes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkpowa View Post
    Ahh bummer you had a bad race Joe, those Early Bird dudes were great, welcomed me right in. Alot of podiums celebrated under that tent, dudes are super strong and most of them on SS. Did you race SS or the geared bike?

I thought the route was great, hopefully I can come back next year for work again and see if I can shave some time knowing the course a little better. I'd like to see how long I could hang with those top dudes before I blew up instead of navigating traffic the first 30-45 minutes.
    Last year I race Intermediate/Cat 2 SS. This moved up to Expert 45+ and chose to race geared. I have been riding those guys for few years. Chasing them on Tuesday nights in our casual hammer and stop rides on my SS. Hammer to the junction and then wait. Then hammer again. Glad you had good time. As for the top dudes. They are seriously fast and it is hard to get in the lead group at the Single track. Need all out 400w sprint for 30 seconds and then hold 300w for 3 more minutes to get your place in line. If you can't best to just roll and conserve energy.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Hey pinkpowa! Nice riding with you. You represented Florida well. Next year remember to go over the bridge rather than up the wall on that last lap ;-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoAgain View Post
    Hey pinkpowa! Nice riding with you. You represented Florida well. Next year remember to go over the bridge rather than up the wall on that last lap ;-)
    Absolutely great riding with you too, wish I could have hung on the last few miles with you! Knowing a few better lines and what's coming will definitely come in handy if I can make it back next year. The trails flow so well there, momentum is your friend...