2015 AZT Jamboree: Sat. Jan. 10th- Mtbr.com
    DFL>DNF>DNS

Listen! 2015 AZT Jamboree: Sat. Jan. 10th

Registration is OPEN!! Come on out and support the Arizona Trail.

To register, go here.

Did I mention there's beer and swag at the finish?

SAG support along the way? Yep. The past two years have included mini pizzas and a few adult beverages.

Need some more stoke to convince you?

The early shuttle fills up quick, get on it!!
    My Two Schillingsworth

Ultra Endurance Posters & More: Posters/T-shirts & Stuff

mtbr member
    I registered weeks ago! Yaaaay Jambo time! See you out there.
    Shit happens...

Addicted to 2 wheels
    Want to make it, but likely not be in the cards again. Have fun and maybe you will see me there. All I hear is goodness from this event.

My other ride is your mom
    Damn.....life always has a way of making me miss this! I'll be closing on my new Flagstaff home and moving in that weekend.

mtbr member
    Can't make it either. This was a good reminder to renew my AZT membership, however. Have fun!

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    My derps are too derpy to derp this. Stupid unreliable derps. I'll still donate though.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    My derps are too derpy to derp this. Stupid unreliable derps. I'll still donate though.
    I thought you were derpy only when on a loaded derp? An unloaded derp should be much less derpier for your derpy.
    Shit happens...

Quote Originally Posted by ECEGatorTuro View Post
    I thought you were derpy only when on a loaded derp? An unloaded derp should be much less derpier for your derpy.
    Nope, I derped out at Brown's ranch after about 15 miles, with hardly any derps in my pack or on my bike. Imagine my surprise and derpappointment. I couldn't even climb the one fraggin' derp out there. Bailed to car. This is a very unexpected derp. The universe seems to clearly wants me to derp something else. Planning to troubleshoot over the break.

mtbr member

2015 AZT Jamboree: Sat. Jan. 10th

Quote Originally Posted by Dag Nabbit View Post
    Nope, I derped out at Brown's ranch after about 15 miles, with hardly any derps in my pack or on my bike. Imagine my surprise and derpappointment. I couldn't even climb the one fraggin' derp out there. Bailed to car. This is a very unexpected derp. The universe seems to clearly wants me to derp something else. Planning to troubleshoot over the break.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418337003.098523.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  32.6 KB
    Shit happens...

It'll be ok. Nothing is going to hold me back! ....other than my current level of profligate insouciance. I just needed some time away from knees.

Always in the wrong gear
    A buddy and I are thinking about making this into a three day trip and hitting Fantasy Island while we are in the area. By three day I mean camping locally, not three days on bike.
    Salsa El Mariachi SS

Flat Tire Bike Shop, Cave Creek, AZ

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    Is there camping there? I see it states carpool due to limited space so it doesn't seem like camping out would be available. IF not is there someplace near by that's easy riding distant?
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coondog#77 View Post
    A buddy and I are thinking about making this into a three day trip and hitting Fantasy Island while we are in the area. By three day I mean camping locally, not three days on bike.
    imo, don't bother with FI. Starr Pass, Sweetwater, 50 year, virtually anything in tucson will be a better ride than FI. unless pancake flat and boring is your jam.

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Quote Originally Posted by TacoBeer View Post
    Is there camping there? I see it states carpool due to limited space so it doesn't seem like camping out would be available. IF not is there someplace near by that's easy riding distant?
    I'm pretty sure people have camped out in the parking areas in the past. They are decent sized pullouts off the dirt road. The main parking area is down a hill where the AZT crosses the road. The other large pullout is back at the top of the hill on the righthand side of the road.
    My Two Schillingsworth

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Rob, if you're really set on riding FI, do it as a warm up before knocking out the Redington rd/AZT/Milagrosa loop. That will bring a smile to your face.
    My Two Schillingsworth

50 Year is good times.

mtbr member

I'm Robs buddy and we need to park a 34' motorhome. Any ideas? A hearty hell ya to all of you. Thanks.

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    Rob, if you're really set on riding FI, do it as a warm up before knocking out the Redington rd/AZT/Milagrosa loop. That will bring a smile to your face.

After hearing some more about FI, I'm not sure if I want to ride it. John that Redington loop sounds pretty cool. Do you mind sending a fox for Scott and I to look at?
    Salsa El Mariachi SS

Flat Tire Bike Shop, Cave Creek, AZ

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I have camped in my trailer the past couple of years. If you get there the night before there is plenty of room to park here 32.091624, -110.624138

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by sjcoffey View Post
    I have camped in my trailer the past couple of years. If you get there the night before there is plenty of room to park here 32.091624, -110.624138
    Thanks for info. That will be the plan if all the the stars align. Are you bringing your trailer this year as well?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I will if I get any of my riding friends to go with me. If not will either drive down or sleep in my car.

mtbr member
    After hearing some more about FI, I'm not sure if I want to ride it. John that Redington loop sounds pretty cool. Do you mind sending a fox for Scott and I to look at?
    What ever happened to Chiva Falls ??

DFL>DNF>DNS
    fox sent....
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by freeskier46 View Post
    fox sent....
    send that to me too when you get a chance.. I have a feeling that Chiva Area may coincide with this loop...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Here's the Garmin Connect link.

GPX attached.

This is the Day 1 ride of Scott's Camp Tucson rides in March. Here's the ride report.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Would a GPS be needed on this. I know there is support but is it easy to get lost out there. I should find out tonight when my schedule comes out if I can do this as wrll

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I think it is not easy to get lost, but I have friends who spent an hour wandering around in Cienega Creek because they couldn't find the trail out. The first time I went through that section it was a little confusing, and the easier way out onto the road isn't obvious either.

GPS would make that a little easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilarider View Post
    I think it is not easy to get lost, but I have friends who spent an hour wandering around in Cienega Creek because they couldn't find the trail out. The first time I went through that section it was a little confusing, and the easier way out onto the road isn't obvious either.

GPS would make that a little easier.
    yeah, that three bridges area is tricky. You DON'T want to follow the AZT down into the canyon under the bridges. You want to continue straight to the bridges and cross under.

After you go under I-10 you'll come to a trailhead. Soon after the trail will veer right. Don't take that right. Continue straight down the hill. That will take you to the road. Cross over the road and then under the bridge. Anyhow, that's how we always do it.2015 AZT Jamboree: Sat. Jan. 10th-export.jpg

proceed with caution
    Quote Originally Posted by dtownmtb View Post
    yeah, that three bridges area is tricky. You DON'T want to follow the AZT down into the canyon under the bridges. You want to continue straight to the bridges and cross under.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Export.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	951475
    haha, yeah... I made that mistake last year (first time) no GPS, no track, no map, just winging it last minute. Went down into the canyon, missed the crossing across the road coming out, went up the road looking for it for another half mile before turning around and retracing and luckily running into a ranger for the event that day and got me back on track. 45 minute detour, no bueno.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Anyone self shuttling this thing. I only found out today I could do it and both are full. I've got a truck so can carry some bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djyoung4 View Post
    Anyone self shuttling this thing. I only found out today I could do it and both are full. I've got a truck so can carry some bikes.
    I'd be interested in setting up a self shuttle. I have a truck as well and I can carry three bikes. I've done the long course the past two years and I'd like to have a go at it again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Ok the AZT Jamboree is only a week away. Who is ready for some TORCA aide station mini pizzas?
    facebook.com/TucsonTORCA

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by markphx View Post
    I'd be interested in setting up a self shuttle. I have a truck as well and I can carry three bikes. I've done the long course the past two years and I'd like to have a go at it again.
    Let me know. Only problem is I gotta be heading back to phoenix right after in order to make it to supercross. Where are you coming from

Quote Originally Posted by TORCA View Post
    Ok the AZT Jamboree is only a week away. Who is ready for some TORCA aide station mini pizzas?

Oh yeah. Those pizzas are awesome and you guys/gals are the absolute best! Looking forward to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djyoung4 View Post
    Let me know. Only problem is I gotta be heading back to phoenix right after in order to make it to supercross. Where are you coming from
    PM sent.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    What's to be expected for elevation gain and temperatures on the 35 mile ride.

mtbr member

Don't be fooled by the elevation profile. There is a lot of up and down especially in the first 10 miles and also a little towards the end after you cross I-10. I think it's a total gain of 4k roughly if I remember correctly.
    Shit happens...

DFL>DNF>DNS
    Looks to be around 40 for the start, quite nice compared to years past. 4k of elevation sounds about right, but you forgot to mention there 'may' be HAB, YMMV. Since you'll be riding with Mark, I expect you guys to clean everything. Mark did tell you about that, right? He's a bit, shall we say, obsessive about cleaning tough sections of trail.
    My Two Schillingsworth

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hahahaha I hadn't heard but I always like cleaning tough sections

Beer Drnkr w/bike problem
    To all that's riding this, have fun and I wish I could go. next year.
    "Not drinking is the Single Speed World Championships version of doping" -Jacquie Phelan

E-bikes are Mountain Mopeds