2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT

In keeping with Maad's Troll Hunting Rules I'll add my contribution to the Coffee Book thread season since it's that time of year. I'll try to keep the bloviating narration to a minium and maintain a high photo to word ratio.

This year's summer vacation was planned around visiting with friends in Sheridan WY and Bozeman MT. That left me to plan rides for whatever was in between. Naturally Moab was on the way. It was dumping rain when we got to the La Sals and rained more during the night. I opted for Hazard Down instead of Burro Down and the Whole Enchilada to minimize the mud factor. I gave the Notch a few tries and despite perfect conditions I could not commit to the move at the corner by the tree. Too big of a drop for me. I could blame it on being solo with no spotter but I don't see how anyone can do that right now without going OTB into oblivion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-burro1.jpg  

2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-burro2.jpg  

2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-burro3.jpg  

mtbr member
    There lots of options for getting to Sheridan from Moab but having never been to Steamboat Springs that was the choice. Still too much snow along the Divide to do Rabbit Ears back to town but there's plenty of other trails to choose from.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-steamboat1.jpg  

2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-steamboat2.jpg  

2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-steamboat3.jpg  

2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-steamboat4.jpg  

dirt visionary
    Nice finally some more summer stoke
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body.

mtbr member
    Looking for good camping we drove north of town to the middle fork of the Elk River. I had planned to do Scott's Run via the Wyoming trail but one mile into the 15 mile loop I mis-shifted and ripped the rear derailleur off. The girls had driven to the Slavonia TH at the end of Seedhouse Rd to hike up to Gilpin Lake. Since that left me no bail out option I converted my 5" travel bike to a singlespeed and finished the ride. Nice trails with a backcountry feel but the beetle kill has been especially rampant in this part of CO.

After the lofty La Sals and the Park Range along the Continental Divide I confess I wasn't really that excited about visiting the lowest elevation town in the state of Wyoming with an elevation of 3745'. Boy was I ever wrong.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-scotts1.jpg  

2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-scotts2.jpg  

2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-scotts3.jpg  

2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-scotts4.jpg  

2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-scotts5.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rockman View Post
    Looking for good camping we drove north of town to the middle fork of the Elk River. I had planned to do Scott's Run via the Wyoming trail but one mile into the 15 mile loop I mis-shifted and ripped the rear derailleur off. The girls had driven to the Slavonia TH at the end of Seedhouse Rd to hike up to Gilpin Lake. Since that left me no bail out option I converted my 5" travel bike to a singlespeed and finished the ride. Nice trails with a backcountry feel but the beetle kill has been especially rampant in this part of CO.

After the lofty La Sals and the Park Range along the Continental Divide I confess I wasn't really that excited about visiting the lowest elevation town in the state of Wyoming with an elevation of 3745'. Boy was I ever wrong.
    Nice writeup and photos RM. I look forward to riding with you again this Fall, or sooner.
    2 Wheels Good

banned
    In keeping with Maad's Troll Hunting Rules I'll add my contribution to the Coffee Book thread season since it's that time of year. I'll try to keep the bloviating narration to a minium and maintain a high photo to word ratio.

This year's summer vacation was planned around visiting with friends in Sheridan WY and Bozeman MT. That left me to plan rides for whatever was in between. Naturally Moab was on the way. It was dumping rain when we got to the La Sals and rained more during the night. I opted for Hazard Down instead of Burro Down and the Whole Enchilada to minimize the mud factor. I gave the Notch a few tries and despite perfect conditions I could not commit to the move at the corner by the tree. Too big of a drop for me. I could blame it on being solo with no spotter but I don't see how anyone can do that right now without going OTB into oblivion.
    rock:

Where is a picture of the Notch? I thought some trail improver dude went in and dumbed it down.

The UPS picture was a fun section of trail that had a re-route to the left about 125 yards below where your bike was parked. The old alignment stayed on the cliff line to the right and that section had a short steep tight left hand crux move that was always had a little pucker factor to ride.

Thanks for sharing
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-ups.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by traildoc View Post
    rock:

Where is a picture of the Notch? I thought some trail improver dude went in and dumbed it down.

Thanks for sharing
    Doc, I didn't take any pictures of the Notch. I wanted to stay ahead of the Church Group outing (at least 25 or 30 teenage bikers) that was taking a break at the start of the Snotch. They must have shuttled to the top of Kokopelli and my timing was good to get around them. It's been 3 or 4 years since I last tried the Notch and the top part seemed the same and it's after the 90 degree turn and bend that's been sanitized. Or even improved. That part was a bit of a skidder trail to me. Anyhow, the crux had eroded considerably. That, or a rock or two had been removed so the drop at the tree was more like 3 or 4 feet. Too much for me to nose down and too risky for some type of wheelie move. For me anyway.

banned
    Doc, I didn't take any pictures of the Notch. I wanted to stay ahead of the Church Group outing (at least 25 or 30 teenage bikers) that was taking a break at the start of the Snotch. They must have shuttled to the top of Kokopelli and my timing was good to get around them. It's been 3 or 4 years since I last tried the Notch and the top part seemed the same and it's after the 90 degree turn and bend that's been sanitized. Or even improved. That part was a bit of a skidder trail to me. Anyhow, the crux had eroded considerably. That, or a rock or two had been removed so the drop at the tree was more like 3 or 4 feet. Too much for me to nose down and too risky for some type of wheelie move. For me anyway.
    It would be interesting to know what % of riders: actually ride the Notch, ride to the crux, love to walk the whole Notch, OR would like there to be a really cool Whistler style wood feature at the crux point to make it barely rideable by the I only ride it to the crux point crowd?

TD

mtbr member

Big Horn Mtns-WY

There is 9400 of topographic relief between the highest peaks in the Big Horns and Sheridan. Can you say shuttle?

We left a vehicle in the little town of Dayton and headed west on hwy 14. Rather than driving the 38 miles to Freeze Out Point which is the recommended route we decided to short cut the shuttle by some 20 miles and drop down an old jeep road. But this meant crossing the Tongue River. Crossing the river, and I do mean river, was quite a challenge and frankly a bit dangerous. I did it 3 times because Mrs Rockman was getting swept away so I went back to get her bike. I was sore for days. After that, it was on and off rain, lots of HAB, no trails, cow trails, and finally an epic descent into Tongue Canyon. An impressive canyon cut through the steep, east flank of the range formed by limestone of the Mississippian Madison Formation. The reward for 1000 of climbing was 5000 of fast and flowy downhill!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-tongue2.jpg  

2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-tongue3.jpg  

2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-tongue4.jpg  

2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-tongue5.jpg  

2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-tongue6.jpg  

2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-tongue7.jpg  

2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-tongue8.jpg  

2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-tongue9.jpg  

banned
    There is 9400 of topographic relief between the highest peaks in the Big Horns and Sheridan. Can you say shuttle?

We left a vehicle in the little town of Dayton and headed west on hwy 14. Rather than driving the 38 miles to Freeze Out Point which is the recommended route we decided to short cut the shuttle by some 20 miles and drop down an old jeep road. But this meant crossing the Tongue River. Crossing the river, and I do mean river, was quite a challenge and frankly a bit dangerous. I did it 3 times because Mrs Rockman was getting swept away so I went back to get her bike. I was sore for days. After that, it was on and off rain, lots of HAB, no trails, cow trails, and finally an epic descent into Tongue Canyon. An impressive canyon cut through the steep, east flank of the range formed by limestone of the Mississippian Madison Formation. The reward for 1000 of climbing was 5000 of fast and flowy downhill!
    Great Picture crossing the river. So since you have been hanging out with Mrs. Rockman is she more or less adventurous since you captured her heart? How was the water temp?

TD

mtbr member
    Great Picture crossing the river. So since you have been hanging out with Mrs. Rockman is she more or less adventurous since you captured her heart? How was the water temp?
    TD
    She had some crazier boyfriends than me. Besides we're parents now and much less adventurous. But I was a bit concerned on this ride. We lost the trail in the tall grass for 2 miles and I didn't have a map. Or gps track. I doubt anyone had ridden the route this summer that we took to get to the main trail. With the exception of the Jackson area it's hard to find good beta and maps for Wyoming. No offense to those who live there but most of them don't ride mtn bikes. It's ranching country or those who work in the oil/gas extraction industry. We didn't see a single person on the entire ride but there were lots of cows.

banned
    She had some crazier boyfriends than me. Besides we're parents now and much less adventurous. But I was a bit concerned on this ride. We lost the trail in the tall grass for 2 miles and I didn't have a map. Or gps track. I doubt anyone had ridden the route this summer that we took to get to the main trail. With the exception of the Jackson area it's hard to find good beta and maps for Wyoming. No offense to those who live there but most of them don't ride mtn bikes. It's ranching country or those who work in the oil/gas extraction industry. We didn't see a single person on the entire ride but there were lots of cows.
    Rock:

I am thinking that a new traildoc mapping project might be a good idea for that area. Do you think the Wyoming forum will welcome me with open arms? Good job on the trail finding part of the adventure.

TD

mtbr member
    Rock:

I am thinking that a new traildoc mapping project might be a good idea for that area. Do you think the Wyoming forum will welcome me with open arms? Good job on the trail finding part of the adventure.

TD
    TD, the WY, ID, MT forum is frequented by only a few posters, mostly from Boise and Bozeman from what I can tell. Nothing at all like the amicable bunch in the AZ forum. Keep in mind, and my rancher friend (former manager of the of one of the largest in WY-the Padlock Ranch) was quick to tell me, when I complained about the lack of maps or trail condition. That is, to many the trails are cow trails and have fun and don't complain. Good luck

banned
    TD, the WY, ID, MT forum is frequented by only a few posters, mostly from Boise and Bozeman from what I can tell. Nothing at all like the amicable bunch in the AZ forum. Keep in mind, and my rancher friend (former manager of the of one of the largest in WY-the Padlock Ranch) was quick to tell me, when I complained about the lack of maps or trail condition. That is, to many the trails are cow trails and have fun and don't complain. Good luck
    rock:

I don't think the US mountain biking community appreciates my efforts, so I have decided to go out of country: http://forums.mtbr.com/other-areas/m...ea-730813.html

TD

My other ride is your mom
    Thanks for the awesome stoke pics......I love me some FTB/Laramide action and the fun we can have on them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maadjurguer View Post
    Thanks for the awesome stoke pics......I love me some FTB/Laramide action and the fun we can have on them.
    yes, some hot Laramide action but I don't quite understand the progression of it. For instance the Bighorns have sexy thrust faults on both sides. Kinda odd in the whole foreland fold and thrust belt concept we geologists teethed on at school. No piggy back action like further north.

mtbr member
    Very Nice Rockman !!

I can guarantee there wont be any dodgy river crossings when we hook up in Colorado this September
    My out of date MTB road trip website http://www.mtb-hol.com

mtbr member

Big Horns part II

The Bench trail on the west side of the Big Horns is 10 miles long with a nice 2000' descent in the last 4 miles. It countours in and out of the trees along a bench high above Shell Canyon and US14. The Paleozoic strata dip steeply here before plungng into the Bighorn Basin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-bench1.jpg  

2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-bench2.jpg  

2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-bench3.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Rockman,
    Nice job of keeping your focus and priorities in order by saving the bike despite the fact that Mrs. Rockman was getting swept away by the river... Of course it makes sense that you would save the helpless bike over the self-sufficient Mrs. Rockman, just hope she saw it that way...

Break it, Fix it, Ride it
    Very nice pics. Looks like it was a great vacation. If I remember, you did the same last year and have some sweet-ass all terrain survivalist van. I've thought about that van lately with all the economic turmoil goin on..... Seems like a nice place to be.
    Today's the day I eat bikes.

mtbr member

Bozeman

If you only have one to day to ride in Bozeman it's tough to go wrong with Bangtail Divide. From south to north the climb is a bit stiff at first but once on the ridgeline it's views in every direction. Bangtail Ridge is surrounded by mtn ranges, among them the Bridger Range, Absarokas, the Crazies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-bangtail1.jpg  

2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-bangtail2.jpg  

2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-bangtail3.jpg  

2011 der Sommer autoreise-UT-CO-WY-MT-bangtail4.jpg  

My other ride is your mom
    piggyback FTB is where it's at....I lurve me some back-door thrust action......damn, I love durty geo talk!

your 2nd pic in post #18 is classic structure...I can draw the fault with my finger in that one.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggs View Post
    Looks like a fun trip you had up there! I'm heading up north tomorrow enroute to BC. Looking forward to some fall and winter riding in your neck of the woods when it gets cooler!

Btw, after riding with you in Sedona, I know you could do the notch if you wanted to. That thing had always been my nemesis until last fall when I finally did it on the Spitfire of all bikes! Lol. The right hand corner wasn't near as bad as I had always thought it would be.

http://forums.mtbr.com/banshee-bikes...ab-660705.html
    Wow, you made that look easy! It even looks steep in the vid which is not usually the case. Thanks for the vote of support but I think it's changed a bit. I might be wrong but the rock you're using to roll the corner at 00.06 and again at 0.22 is no longer there. It's easily a 3 foot drop at or just below the tree. Time for TD to make a house call so folks like me can do it

Have fun in BC!